PDA

View Full Version : My Heritage Auction experience - feedback requested

hcv123
06-07-2018, 09:32 AM
I consigned 2 lots to them. One of them was a set of 24 cards. They said they were going to get them graded as it would entice more bids. They did not describe the set properly (imho) (left the HOFers names out of the title and didn't highlight them at all in the description). Mid way through the initial bidding they did correct that and put a reserve on the lot. The lot did not sell. I won one other lot in the same auction.

About 2 weeks after payment was posted, I had not received the card I won (which I chose to pay for separately as I was told that the sold lot wouldn't settle till early June (May auction).

I contacted them. They shipped out my lot (and returned my unsold lot in the same box) a couple of days later. Included was a statement showing shipping of $28 for the card I won + $forty something dollars to return my unsold lot. netted against the proceeds of my sold lot less a 10% commission (which was agreed to be waived when the lot was submitted).

I contacted them again - they removed all shipping charges and removed the 10% commission.

Today I received my settlement check. For the first time on any paperwork and any form of communication - they reduced my proceeds for grading fees (for the unsold lot). When I consigned the set to them, they did say they were going to have them graded - I questioned it as most of the set were common players - reiterating they said "it would give bidders more confidence and get more bids", I said okay. Cost of grading was never discussed. I do not know if it is referenced on any paperwork.

I am feeling a bit miffed as I am paying for grading fees for cards that weren't described well and didn't sell (most of which I would not have had graded otherwise). Your opinions and input are invited.

Howard

sflayank
06-07-2018, 11:37 AM
Howard
My only response
Not unexpected
Larry

pokerplyr80
06-07-2018, 02:54 PM
Sounds like poor communication and service on their part. Also a good reminder to negotiate all terms before agreeing to send a consignment. If am AH told me they wanted to grade my submission, my first questions would be how much will that cost, and who's paying for it. Then you could have decided which cards you wanted graded.

I know pwcc gives you a chance to review and edit the description before your auction goes live. I'm not sure if Heritage offers this or not, but it sounds like that would have helped in this situation.

Stampsfan
06-08-2018, 01:07 AM
I once consigned a full Andres Galarraga game worn jersey. The front was signed.

Unbeknownst to me, they got the signature verified and charged me the fee. I didn't ask for it, they never told me they would do it, and it really added little to no value to the piece IMO.

When you're the biggest, you can do whatever you want. It will be awhile before I consign with them again.

Exhibitman
06-08-2018, 07:04 PM
Same thing happened with a consignment of mine (ungraded cards graded w/o my permission). I refused to pay for it.

Rickyy
06-11-2018, 01:47 PM
I once had an AH grade my game used jersey's on consignment, I was going to ask if that cost would be deducted from my winnings, but they told me up front, no charge... so I went for it. Although you probably should have asked when they mentioned sending it in for grading, they should have also told you upfront if they were going to charge for that cost. On Heritage's website it says they do contact consigners but doesn't mention how that charge is handled: "Our professional staff of graders review your material for appropriate venues, and identify material which needs to be certified or resubmitted to the grading services."

Ricky Y