PDA

View Full Version : Needle in the haystack question

kailes2872
06-02-2018, 03:01 PM
When I was 10 in 1982, I had a book called the baseball address book. It had a current and former living players' address. The last 3 pages were updated addresses for anyone who had moved since the book went to print. It is kind of crazy to think that the book was available and I lost it (or it was stolen by a classmate) years ago.

During that summer, I would spend days on end writing to my favorite players at that time. I would usually just send a letter in my 10 year old handwriting and I would sometimes send a picture. It was normally just a letter to tell them how much I liked them. On occasion, I would request a picture or autograph, but that wasn't the main point. I included no SASE or anything for them to sign - I was just a 10 year old. I probably sent 100 letters that summer. Rod Carew and George Brett were my favorite players at the time but I never heard back from them.

One day, I got a nice envelope from the Atlanta braves. Inside of it was an 8x10 signed by Hank Aaron as well as a couple of other things signed (a 3x5 index card and 2 Babe Ruth reprints that were connected that he signed in between. This was really cool and became the cornerstone of my 10 year old collection.

A little later that summer, Stan Musial sent a postcard in a very familiar kneeling pose. On it were the words, "To Kevin, Best Wishes, Stan Musial". I went off to college and lost the fire about 1991/1992. I sold my collection for a few hundred dollars (mostly mid-80's sets that are pretty much worthless). But, unfortunately, I sold those autographs at the time as well. It was to a private collector who was buying for his kids thinking that it would some day put them through college...

Here is my question -
Does anyone have in their inventory a Stan Musial postcard that says "To Kevin, Best Wishes, Stan Musial"?

I know that his autographs aren't rare and I have often thought of buying a ball or picture to have something to hang on the wall. The Aaron's were not personalized and I have replaced those with some really cool stuff over the years that is on display in the basement. However, it gnaws at me that I got rid of the Musial autograph that he took the time to personalize.

I know that it is probably a pipe dream - but figured I would put it out there in the case that the guy who bought it from me sold it at some point and it is sitting for sale somewhere on in someone's inventory.

Thanks!
Kevin