PDA

View Full Version : RIP Bruce Kison.

Brian Van Horn
06-02-2018, 11:52 AM
Just read on the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette website. I do not have a link.

WillowGrove
06-02-2018, 04:12 PM
And Brian he was an Orioles scout and they gave a moment of silence for him before the Yankee game today in Baltimore. I think he may have been the youngest pitcher to start a World Series game.

Brian Van Horn
06-02-2018, 05:14 PM
And Brian he was an Orioles scout and they gave a moment of silence for him before the Yankee game today in Baltimore. I think he may have been the youngest pitcher to start a World Series game.

I just remember the story that after the seventh game of the 1971 World Series, the Pirates chartered a plane for Kison so he could get to his wedding that day.

rats60
06-02-2018, 09:25 PM

No, he was the winning pitcher of the first World Series night game when he relieved Pirates starter Luke Walker in the 1st inning and pitched 6 1/3 innings of 1 hit ball. RIP Bruce.

WillowGrove
06-03-2018, 06:49 AM
No, he was the winning pitcher of the first World Series night game when he relieved Pirates starter Luke Walker in the 1st inning and pitched 6 1/3 innings of 1 hit ball. RIP Bruce.

Ah, that's it, right. Solid pitcher.

Brian Van Horn
06-03-2018, 07:54 PM
The one thing that troubled him in 1978 and I believe 1979 was a fever blister on his throwing hand. I had never heard the term before and I have never heard the term since in regards to a pitcher.

71buc
06-03-2018, 10:15 PM
I just remember the story that after the seventh game of the 1971 World Series, the Pirates chartered a plane for Kison so he could get to his wedding that day.

Bob Prince chartered the helicopter. I have many fond memories of Kison from my childhood. He was a true competitor.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23681615/former-pittsburgh-pirates-pitcher-long-baltimore-orioles-scout-bruce-kison-dies-68

clydepepper
06-04-2018, 01:21 AM

I believe Ken Brett was the youngest, if not him, Dwight Gooden?

Upon further review, you are correct: Kison was a few months younger than Gooden and Brett didn't start, but was the youngest to pitch at 18

(but, he still wasn't pre-war)

rats60
06-04-2018, 04:55 AM
I believe Ken Brett was the youngest, if not him, Dwight Gooden?

Upon further review, you are correct: Kison was a few months younger than Gooden and Brett didn't start, but was the youngest to pitch at 18

(but, he still wasn't pre-war)

Kison didn't start any World Series games in 1971.

Peter_Spaeth
06-04-2018, 07:10 AM
Jim Palmer started at 20 I believe.

turtleguy64
06-04-2018, 12:21 PM
Funny how he got that nickname from opposing batters.He would invariably come inside to certain hitters when they batted.Mike Schmidt was one of them.In a game I was watching broadcast from Pittsburgh in the mid '70s,Kison came inside on Schmidt for a ball four.Schmidt was boiling .Slowly walked to first,midway stopped ,pointed his finger at Kison and muttered something.Kison threw his glove down and said C'mon.Schmidt charged,both dugouts emptied,and you know how those brawls ended.This time no one got hurt but Schmidt did all he could to rip Kison apart.

Brian Van Horn
06-04-2018, 10:35 PM
Funny how he got that nickname from opposing batters.He would invariably come inside to certain hitters when they batted.Mike Schmidt was one of them.In a game I was watching broadcast from Pittsburgh in the mid '70s,Kison came inside on Schmidt for a ball four.Schmidt was boiling .Slowly walked to first,midway stopped ,pointed his finger at Kison and muttered something.Kison threw his glove down and said C'mon.Schmidt charged,both dugouts emptied,and you know how those brawls ended.This time no one got hurt but Schmidt did all he could to rip Kison apart.

That was part one. Part two was after the game when Kison went into the Phillies clubhouse and confronted Schmidt to tell Schmidt why he pitched him inside.