PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever seen one of these?

perezfan
06-01-2018, 03:32 PM
This little thing probably cost about a Quarter when it was made. It measures only about 2" square. It's kind of cool, and I must confess to being an under-bidder (albeit way down the chain). But the final price shocked the heck out of me.... $308 + change!

Also perplexing is the fact that the eBay listing has vanished. The eBay item # was 192547066311. It ended only yesterday, but has completely disappeared from the system. First time I have ever encountered this.

Here are a few questions/thoughts....

1. Are Mays/Giants Collectors really that desperate for something they haven't seen before?

2. How rare is it? Has anyone ever seen another? If so, is $308 a typical sale price?

3. Did they make these Banks for other players besides Mays? You would have to assume so.

4. Is it really even an original Willie Mays piece? Any Bozo could possibly have inserted that tiny photo of Mays (or Aaron or Ruth, or any Hollywood TV Celeb for that matter).

And has anyone ever seen a completed auction vanish a day later... even though the auction went full-term?

bnorth
06-01-2018, 04:19 PM
This little thing probably cost about a Quarter when it was made. It measures only about 2" square. It's kind of cool, and I must confess to being an under-bidder (albeit way down the chain). But the final price shocked the heck out of me.... $308 + change!

Also perplexing is the fact that the eBay listing has vanished. The eBay item # was 192547066311. It ended only yesterday, but has completely disappeared from the system. First time I have ever encountered this.

1. Are Mays/Giants Collectors really that desperate for something they haven't seen before?

2. How rare is it? Has anyone ever seen another? If so, is $308 a typical sale price?

3. Did they make these Banks for other players besides Mays? You would have to assume so.

4. Is it really even an original Willie Mays piece? Any Bozo could possibly have inserted that tiny photo of Mays (or Aaron or Ruth, or any Hollywood TV Celeb for that matter).

And has anyone ever seen a completed auction vanish a day later... even though the auction went full-term?

To the bold part, I have noticed this happening for a long time. If you have it bookmarked then you can go to it. It will show up in the completed sales but sometimes it does disappear for a day first.

slidekellyslide
06-01-2018, 04:28 PM
It came up in a completed search for “Willie Mays Bank” for me. The seller is pretty well known for baseball memorabilia. I have not seen one of those banks before though.

slidekellyslide
06-01-2018, 04:45 PM
Okay, strangely enough the listing only appears if you're using the phone app. On my PC it redirects me to a Babe Ruth watch by the same seller and says the listing is no longer available. Very odd, but it is ebay and they do stupid things all the time.

I can find banks with the same exact mold and also made by Dickson Inc. but they all have Jesus pictured. There are plenty on Worhtpoint and they all picture Jesus. I'm pretty sure someone exchanged it with Willie.

ooo-ribay
06-01-2018, 04:45 PM

1) yes. I remember a Willie Mays pencil sharpener, years back, going for almost $300.

2) never seen one before.

3) don't know.

4) could be home made.

Finally, I found it in completed auction but when I click on it, it takes me to a Babe Ruth wristwatch. :confused:

ooo-ribay
06-01-2018, 04:47 PM
Jesus...Willie...what's the difference? :p

slidekellyslide
06-01-2018, 04:48 PM
Certainly if they'd made one with Willie Mays on it there would be more out there. Someone will be disappointed if they find this info out.

Another one

slidekellyslide
06-01-2018, 04:53 PM
And another.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-JESUS-TELEVISION-Plastic-Bank-/322975323792

slidekellyslide
06-01-2018, 04:57 PM
And I know it's "the catch", but if you were making a Willie Mays bank wouldn't you want his smiling mug on the TV over a pic of his back side?

bigfanNY
06-01-2018, 05:17 PM
Looks like Willie picture was added after. I would not buy.

Butch7999
06-02-2018, 02:40 AM
We agree with Jonathan. We'll say no more about that...

The "disappearing listing" thing is new on us and a phenomenon we're seeing with only this vendor's items.
You can still see the original auction page of the thing you're looking for if you click on the linked word "listing"
in the banner at the top of the "replacement" page where it says "The listing you’re looking for is no longer available.
Check out this similar item we found for you."

base_ball
06-02-2018, 04:48 PM
I don’t have the strength, but if I did I’d post doctored pics with brothers Matty and Felipe as the subjects....