PDA

View Full Version : Wild Bill Hutchinson

Shankweather
05-29-2018, 12:19 PM
I'm so stoked I got this card. I've been collecting Cubs cards for 25 years, and seriously collecting prewar for 15, and this is the first time I've ever seen a Wild Bill for sale. There's a total of 6 graded between PSA and SGC, so I wasn't sure I would ever see one. He's one of the greatest Cubs pitchers of all time, second only to Charlie Root in innings pitched, so my collection was incomplete without him. I would have paid ten times the ending price!

Now to cross it over to SGC and hope for that 2!

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/x20AAOSwlzZa~yri/s-l1600.jpg

t206fix
05-29-2018, 12:34 PM
Congrats! Nice looking card!

oldjudge
05-29-2018, 12:43 PM
Nice pickup! Don't use the pop reports as a measure of Old Judge availability. Especially for non-HOFers the vast majority of cards are ungraded.

Den*nis O*Brien
05-29-2018, 12:47 PM
And good luck on your Cubs quest!! Also....that is a very decent image.

Shankweather
05-29-2018, 12:50 PM
Nice pickup! Don't use the pop reports as a measure of Old Judge availability. Especially for non-HOFers the vast majority of cards are ungraded.

I know it's not a perfect measure, but when Ned Williamson has 115 graded and Bill has 6, I tend to assume I've got a better shot at Ned. Plus I've just never seen one, graded or ungraded.

oldjudge
05-29-2018, 01:45 PM
Fair point. Hutchinson is a scarcer than average card, Williamson is a relatively common card. If I were to guess I would say there are 30-40 copies of Hutchinson, amongst all four poses, floating around. As you no doubt know, he is one of the few Yale graduates to play Major League baseball.

Shankweather
05-29-2018, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the guess at the Hutchinson population. I know a lot more about the Cubs in general than I do about Old Judge. Now if you could just point me towards the nearest Clark Griffith or Chicago King Kelly!

oldjudge
05-29-2018, 02:17 PM
There are three Kelly poses where he is wearing a “Chicago” uniform, two portraits and a lefty batting pose. These are some of his more difficult, and in the case of the portraits, more desirable poses, and the prices will reflect this. Griffith is only known as a member of Milwaukee in the Old Judge set, so you can cross that one off your list.

Shankweather
05-29-2018, 02:21 PM
I can be flexible when it comes to the uniform pictured. Griffith spent most of his career with Chicago but has no Chicago cards that I know of, so his "minor league" Milwaukee card will have to suffice.

Fred
05-29-2018, 03:49 PM
Oh, so you're the guy that got that. I forgot to return for the last minute bid. Wild Bill's a tough one to find. I've only seen a handful of his cards for sale in the past decade.

Shankweather
05-29-2018, 04:07 PM
Oh, so you're the guy that got that. I forgot to return for the last minute bid. Wild Bill's a tough one to find. I've only seen a handful of his cards for sale in the past decade.

I am the guy! And thank you for forgetting.