PDA

View Full Version : T206 Poll

Bigdaddy
05-28-2018, 08:40 PM
Ok, I have to admit that I'm ~90% post-war and ~10% pre-war, and I'm not well versed in many of the more obscure pre-war sets. And probably many of the gentle readers here are mostly, if not completely, pre-war collectors.

With that said, and recognizing that this is posted in the Pre-War section, can you name all the players given their T206 card? Seems like every time I'm looking through a bunch of T206 .jpgs, I see a new pose that I didn't know existed. Maybe that is THE line on whether you are a T206 collector or not - can you name all the cards?

CobbSpikedMe
05-28-2018, 08:50 PM
While I can name quite a lot of T206 players when I see their cards, there are still several I can not. Most of the SL I can't name since I don't see them as often. But I can name every HOFer for sure. I often name them as they scroll by on eBay when I'm looking through the prewar section.

ullmandds
05-29-2018, 05:40 AM
I'm always kinda amazed how I can name many T206 players just by seeing an image...but not all.

MVSNYC
05-29-2018, 05:41 AM
I think you need to add two more answers to your poll...

-Large majority.
-Small majority.

Even though I’ve collected T206 for 25 years, there may still be a few players (probably some minor leaguers/SLers) who’s name’s I can’t remember. But I can recall probably 95%...but not 100%.

Bpm0014
05-29-2018, 05:55 AM
Funny you ask this. I often quiz myself on this very same subject and was thinking about starting the same poll! I believe that I can name most, if not all, T206 subjects if shown their card....

gregr2
05-29-2018, 05:57 AM
No chance here, I can probably recognize 25% of the set.

barrysloate
05-29-2018, 06:09 AM
I think you need to add two more answers to your poll...

-Large majority.
-Small majority.

Even though I’ve collected T206 for 25 years, there may still be a few players (probably some minor leaguers/SLers) who’s name’s I can’t remember. But I can recall probably 95%...but not 100%.

Agree. I can probably get 80-90 % right, if I do a quick review first. I used to be at 100%, but I'm not as sharp anymore. :(

steve B
05-29-2018, 08:35 AM
Agree. I can probably get 80-90 % right, if I do a quick review first. I used to be at 100%, but I'm not as sharp anymore. :(

I'd think that many people who were dealers some time ago could do that.

One of the crazier days hanging out at the local card shop was playing a card game with the owner. He said he could identify almost any card without seeing the whole thing. Since he had a file cabinet full of cards from the late 50's - mid 70's, I figured I'd give it a try. He said if I stumped him I could have a free card.
I gave up after maybe 40 cards, random years picked by me from the cabinet, all commons. Only showed him maybe 25% of most cards, and he got every one.
I still think there had to be some trick, but at the time I tried removing obvious tricks like spotting the back reflected in the showcase glass, and he still go them all.

T206 I could probably get maybe half of them on a good day, maybe a bit more.

KMayUSA6060
05-29-2018, 08:50 AM
Is Google assistance allowed or...? ;)

Aquarian Sports Cards
05-29-2018, 09:19 AM
related idea. How many first names can you remember when shown the last name on T206's. I'm pretty good, but not perfect at either

brianp-beme
05-29-2018, 05:24 PM
I can probably name 80 to 85% of the cards. But the true test of the vintage collector is if they can name all 10 of the W9316 cards by just seeing the picture. I can (but please don't test me...I might embarrass myself).

Brian

brass_rat
05-29-2018, 07:10 PM
For those that can put a name to every image, you might try the following exercise -- how many names can you write down straight from memory (without seeing images)? (For the record, I cannot recognize all of the player images, so I haven't tried this more difficult task.)

(Unrelated note -- but also a fun exercise -- set a timer and write down all 50 states in 5 minutes.)

frohme
05-29-2018, 07:22 PM
Also, can you do the same on T205, or T207?

For those that can put a name to every image, you might try the following exercise -- how many names can you write down straight from memory (without seeing images)? (For the record, I cannot recognize all of the player images, so I haven't tried this more difficult task.)

KMayUSA6060
05-30-2018, 07:12 AM

(Unrelated note -- but also a fun exercise -- set a timer and write down all 50 states in 5 minutes.)

I got 532 T206s... Hmmmm...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wxZdxd0ls74" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

vintagerookies51
05-30-2018, 11:52 AM
Amazed at how many people claim they can name all of them... I'm sure I could get all the HOFs, but all those hundreds of commons? Not in a million years

bbcard1
05-30-2018, 12:04 PM
When you put them together one at a time, you'd be shocked at all you retain. I would say I could name 90%+, which i thought was closer to 100% than to i'm not in that deep. I see the T206 (I accumulated a low grade set of 520, but not beaters) as a relationship set. It's not just a set you fill in a check list but one where you continue to learn about both the issuers and the players. It's probably the only set I have that I would still look for a low/mid grade lot to upgrade. Usually when I finish a set, it's good enough.