PDA

View Full Version : NYC Dinner Thread

barrysloate
05-25-2018, 04:12 AM
This has been done before and dare I try it again. The very first NYC Dinner Thread on Net54 lives in hobby infamy as one of the most dysfunctional threads we've ever had, but let's get started.

I am free the month of June, supposed to be away most of July, but those dates aren't set yet and I have some flexibility. We usually pick a restaurant someplace in Mid-town Manhattan. Please keep in mind there will always be one or two who can't make it on a particular date. We try to accommodate but sometimes we can't get everyone in.

So far it's Barry S, Michael S, and Jamie B. Anyone else? All are welcome to join us. Restaurant suggestions are encouraged. And I suggest a date towards the end of June, about a month from today.

Rhotchkiss
05-25-2018, 04:17 AM
Depending on the date (and an ok from the wife), I would make a trip north for this.

brass_rat
05-25-2018, 04:22 AM
Thanks for taking the lead, Barry -- count me in!

I'm flexible on time and date.

Steve

Aquarian Sports Cards
05-25-2018, 04:26 AM
we were looking at coming into the city to see "The Play That Goes Wrong" anyway, Would love to combine the two if wives are allowed!

judsonhamlin
05-25-2018, 04:37 AM
Always up for a trip in if the date works. Any Blarney Stones still open? Kidding but open to most food options

barrysloate
05-25-2018, 05:20 AM
Great to see some old faces and some new ones too.

At some point we have to focus on time and place, so why don't I suggest a window between June 20-30. If that doesn't work, we can make necessary changes.

Do people prefer a weeknight or a weekend? We'll probably be split on this but let's hear what works.

And to Scott's question: yes, wives are welcomed, my wife Judy has attended several, but keep in mind this is a group of serious baseball card collectors. Will the wives find it interesting fare? We can talk about other things too, of course.

edhans
05-25-2018, 05:36 AM
Won't be able to attend, but was just in The City for my daughter's NYU Law School graduation last week. To say there was some culture shock for this small-town boy would be putting it mildly. Hope everyone enjoys the evening. Look forward to seeing everyone in Cleveland this summer.

ullmandds
05-25-2018, 05:36 AM
I am currently in New Jersey helping take care of my mom will likely be here for the whole month of June I would love to come!!

barrysloate
05-25-2018, 05:59 AM
Won't be able to attend, but was just in The City for my daughter's NYU Law School graduation last week. To say there was some culture shock for this small-town boy would be putting it mildly. Hope everyone enjoys the evening. Look forward to seeing everyone in Cleveland this summer.

Sorry you can't join us Ed. I'm an NYU graduate myself (M.A.)

barrysloate
05-25-2018, 06:01 AM
I am currently in New Jersey helping take care of my mom will likely be here for the whole month of June I would love to come!!

Would love to meet you Pete. So let's for sure try to get this locked in for June. We'll give this thread a couple of days for names to be added, then focus on the particulars.

ullmandds
05-25-2018, 06:04 AM
Would love to meet you Pete. So let's for sure try to get this locked in for June. We'll give this thread a couple of days for names to be added, then focus on the particulars.

likewise barry.

Snapolit1
05-25-2018, 06:44 AM
I'd love to join, but end of June is crazy with work, moving out of our house, and some family medical stuff that's up in the air. But please keep my on the invite list and I will try my dammest to make it.

barrysloate
05-25-2018, 06:58 AM
Hi Steve- all you have to do is follow this thread, and when we eventually pick a date, if somehow it works just give a shout that you're in. Even when we all get to the restaurant, we often have one or two extras showing up and that's fine. You're already invited, so it depends entirely on your ability to make it. Hope it works out.

ullmandds
05-25-2018, 07:02 AM
I propose mid juin!

Snapolit1
05-25-2018, 07:29 AM
Hi Steve- all you have to do is follow this thread, and when we eventually pick a date, if somehow it works just give a shout that you're in. Even when we all get to the restaurant, we often have one or two extras showing up and that's fine. You're already invited, so it depends entirely on your ability to make it. Hope it works out.

Thanks.

barrysloate
05-25-2018, 07:31 AM
I was actually thinking of Saturday June 23. That's only a starting point and can easily be changed. How does that work for people? Remember, this is a work in progress so nothing is final.

boneheadandrube
05-25-2018, 07:33 AM
Hi Barry, how much will the average dinner at the restaurant likely cost, and will there be any cheapskates? :D

ullmandds
05-25-2018, 07:37 AM
As of this minute june 23 works for moi.

barrysloate
05-25-2018, 08:02 AM
Hi Barry, how much will the average dinner at the restaurant likely cost, and will there be any cheapskates? :D

I hear you...and I wish I knew your first name. Some of our dinners get a little pricey and for some that's difficult. If you want to join us and have a budget, kick in what you can and we will be able to cover you. That said, I wouldn't mind an affordable place. I usually don't pick it, but hopefully it won't be super expensive.

barrysloate
05-25-2018, 08:05 AM
As of this minute june 23 works for moi.

Great. So as a starting point, how do people feel about June 23? I know Scott wanted to get theatre tickets, so if that day is available he can join us say at 6:00 and head to the play when he has to. So let's hear from everyone about the 23rd. And there are still people who may want to come who have yet to see this thread, so we're still early in the process.

Aquarian Sports Cards
05-25-2018, 08:19 AM
should be doable for me.. FWIW I also prefer a reasonably priced meal, though a splurge is an option.

barrysloate
05-25-2018, 08:32 AM
should be doable for me.. FWIW I also prefer a reasonably priced meal, though a splurge is an option.

That's great Scott. If you get tickets we'll make every effort to get together that night. And I think a reasonably priced restaurant is a good way to go. Michael S. usually picks out the venue, so I'll work with him to find something affordable. Maybe we'll look into a good sports bar in midtown, not too far from the Theater district.

T205 GB
05-25-2018, 08:37 AM
Wish it was first weekend in June as I will be in Wilmington for 5 days. Would love to put a face to names and meet some more hobby guys.

Fballguy
05-25-2018, 09:03 AM
Just curious...if we have a budget, are we supposed to subtract 20% first or add it later? ;)

Love the City....I'll be there for a week in July. Can't wait. Best food in the country.

Keens Steakhouse or Pete Luger or Takashi...For meat.

Katz's...For deli

Barney Greengrass...For smoked fish/breakfast

Rubirosa...For pizza

Papaya Dog...For hot dogs

Wu Lieng Ye or Joe's Shanghai...For Chinese

Blind Tiger...For beer

Murray's...For Cheese

Sushi Nakazawa or Yasuda or Blue Ribbon Sushi...For Sushi

Russ & Daughters...For Bagels and Lox

ibuysportsephemera
05-25-2018, 09:42 AM
I would love to participate. With so many restaurant choices in Manhattan, I am sure we can find something pretty reasonable.

Jeff

barrysloate
05-25-2018, 10:02 AM
Wish it was first weekend in June as I will be in Wilmington for 5 days. Would love to put a face to names and meet some more hobby guys.

Hey Andrew- that's only a week away and may be too little time to put this together and get everyone on board.

barrysloate
05-25-2018, 10:05 AM
Just curious...if we have a budget, are we supposed to subtract 20% first or add it later? ;)

Love the City....I'll be there for a week in July. Can't wait. Best food in the country.

Keens Steakhouse or Pete Luger or Takashi...For meat.

Katz's...For deli

Barney Greengrass...For smoked fish/breakfast

Rubirosa...For pizza

Papaya Dog...For hot dogs

Wu Lieng Ye or Joe's Shanghai...For Chinese

Blind Tiger...For beer

Murray's...For Cheese

Sushi Nakazawa or Yasuda or Blue Ribbon Sushi...For Sushi

Russ & Daughters...For Bagels and Lox

That's a nice poem Rob. Don't think Peter Luger's will work- to get such a large reservation for a Saturday probably needs about four-six months lead time. But you mentioned so many others, most I don't know. I was thinking a good Chinese restaurant would be fun, but we'll see how others feel.

Snapolit1
05-25-2018, 10:07 AM
That's great Scott. If you get tickets we'll make every effort to get together that night. And I think a reasonably priced restaurant is a good way to go. Michael S. usually picks out the venue, so I'll work with him to find something affordable. Maybe we'll look into a good sports bar in midtown, not too far from the Theater district.

I got together recently at Foleys with some folks and it was real reasonable and, hell, full of sports memorabilia. And is on 34th street. Just an idea.

barrysloate
05-25-2018, 10:08 AM
That sounds good to me Steve, and the location is great. Let's see how others feel about it. I love sports bar food.

oldjudge
05-25-2018, 10:21 AM
Makes me wish I was still in Connecticut. That first dinner with Wonka, Jeff, and Mike was great!

T205 GB
05-25-2018, 10:24 AM
Hey Andrew- that's only a week away and may be too little time to put this together and get everyone on board.

Yeah I know:( I do hope to meet some more guys at National this year.

KingFisk
05-25-2018, 10:43 AM
A weeknight would work better for me as I work in midtown. Weekend probably wouldn't work due to family commitments.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

brass_rat
05-25-2018, 10:50 AM
The 23rd works for me!
Steve

(If people choose weeknight, I'd suggest the 14th or 21st since they be towards the end of the week.)

FourStrikes
05-25-2018, 11:22 AM
I eat plenty of "shitty" and/or cheap meals on an ongoing basis, but when I'm on the road I'm not as worried about it, ESPECIALLY if there's cards and memorabilia involved! IF I was closer to - or going to be in NYC - I'd certainly be more than willing to splurge for a pricey meal! sadly (in THIS case, I cannot attend the NYC meet-up)...perhaps I would be unwelcome, anyway as I'm NOT a hardcore $$$ collector - but I encourage EVERYBODY to eat a few bucks (plus a decent meal) to support this gathering!)

I'm in SoCal, and would not hesitate for a second if such an occasion were available - AND available, schedule-wise, in THIS area...I understand budgets, but THIS NYC proposal warrants special interest/circumstances.

JMO,but something to consider

life's too short! have fun everyone!

barrysloate
05-25-2018, 11:26 AM
At the end of the day we will have to go with what works for the greatest number of people. When we had our original mammoth 500+ post dinner thread, we discovered there was no night that worked for everybody. If two guys couldn't make it and we changed the date for them, suddenly two other guys couldn't make the new date. So we will try to please as many people as we can, with apologies to those who can't come. That's the best we can do.

hcv123
05-25-2018, 11:52 AM
Monday and Wednesday being the best for me. Don't really care much where the restaurant is. Would look forward to meet many. Understand needs to work for most - so I put in my 2 cents and let the chips fall where they may - will do my best to make it.

barrysloate
05-25-2018, 12:39 PM
It doesn't have to be a Saturday, and most of the ones we've had have been on a weeknight. Let's leave the date open for now.

Cmount76
05-25-2018, 02:49 PM
Count me in! Thanks for organizing it. Love to put some faces to the names and talk baseball!

Michael

MVSNYC
05-25-2018, 03:03 PM
Hi Barry et al-

I’d prefer a weeknight, plus I suspect a lot of people are away on weekends during the summer.

There’s plenty of places in midtown (if that’s the preference). I’m on vacation until Tuesday...when I get back I’ll propose a few places. over the years we’ve done our fair share of great steakhouses, and Italian joints.

If people want something lower priced we could hit a place like Stout, near Penn...but there’s others. Let’s get plans together after this weekend.

barrysloate
05-25-2018, 03:25 PM
Seems like a Saturday could be a tough go. Let's readdress this dinner after the holiday weekend, and see what works for the most people. I am flexible.

Everyone feel free to suggest either days or restaurants. Good holiday to all.

tedzan
05-25-2018, 07:11 PM
Hi Barry and guys

I may consider joining you for dinner. That is if you guys want me too :)

Depending on choice of restaurant and time of get-together.

For me it's a 2 1/2 hour trip from Pennsylvania, so the return trip is my concern.

TED Z

lowpopper
05-25-2018, 10:03 PM
Is this open invite? I’m interested

Blunder19
05-25-2018, 10:29 PM
i would agree Monday-Thursday would be easier for me.. tough these days to get away from the family for a guys night on friday and Saturday.

keep me posted...

barrysloate
05-26-2018, 04:03 AM
Hi Barry and guys

I may consider joining you for dinner. That is if you guys want me too :)

Depending on choice of restaurant and time of get-together.

For me it's a 2 1/2 hour trip from Pennsylvania, so the return trip is my concern.

TED Z

Hi Ted,
Of course you are invited, and it would be great if you can come. I know getting back to PA is tough, but we can pick a restaurant not too far from Penn Station, and when it is time to catch a train you can simply excuse yourself and head out. Plenty of people do that. I'll call you this week and we can discuss.

And it looks like we will do a weekday. Let me throw out Thursday, June 21, and see how everyone feels about it.

Aquarian Sports Cards
05-26-2018, 08:09 AM
Hi Ted,
Of course you are invited, and it would be great if you can come. I know getting back to PA is tough, but we can pick a restaurant not too far from Penn Station, and when it is time to catch a train you can simply excuse yourself and head out. Plenty of people do that. I'll call you this week and we can discuss.

And it looks like we will do a weekday. Let me throw out Thursday, June 21, and see how everyone feels about it.

Where in PA Ted? If the timing works out I could give you a ride, I'm in Carbon county so almost anywhere off of 78/22 would be easy for me.

Big Six
05-26-2018, 02:49 PM
If there’s room for a small timer, I’m interested...in Connecticut so I’m a short train ride away...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barrysloate
05-26-2018, 05:40 PM
Here's where we stand so far:

20 people have shown a strong interest or rated the dinner a possibility. From that list probably 15-17 will attend, and we may get more in the coming days. That's a pretty big group, probably too big for one table. Best to find a place with several smaller tables. If you put say 18 at a single long table, it will be impossible to speak to anybody except those sitting right next to or across from you. The guys at the other end might as well be in another time zone. So likely we would be sitting in smaller groups.

Since Saturdays don't really work, after the holiday I'm going to suggest Thursday June 21. As I said before it is virtually impossible to pick a day where everyone will be free. I know a few will say they can't make this date. But I think we have to pick something reasonable and go with it, with apologies for those who can't attend.

I like Steve N.'s suggestion of Foley's, the sports bar on 34th Street. Several attending will be coming in via Penn Station, and that will make it super easy for them. And every subway goes through 34th Street so the location couldn't be better. But it will be loud and crowded, so we will still listen to other suggestions as far as venue.

Any thoughts about this, please post. Trying my best to make this work for as many as possible.

barrysloate
05-26-2018, 05:53 PM
I just googled Foley's and it's at 18 West 33rd Street, which is between 5th and 6th Avenue. Still easy to get to from Penn Station. The pictures show tons of sports memorabilia, so no downside there. But it's hard to tell the layout of the restaurant from the pictures.

Steve N.- do you think if there ends up being twenty of us there will be enough room for everyone? And how crowded is it? Anything you can tell us will help to make a decision.

JollyElm
05-26-2018, 05:55 PM
Just a helpful suggestion. If you're going to have this get-together at a sports bar, check the date to make sure there are no 'huge' games taking place that night to avoid an even more crowded situation.

KingFisk
05-26-2018, 06:16 PM
I just googled Foley's and it's at 18 West 33rd Street, which is between 5th and 6th Avenue. Still easy to get to from Penn Station. The pictures show tons of sports memorabilia, so no downside there. But it's hard to tell the layout of the restaurant from the pictures.

Steve N.- do you think if there ends up being twenty of us there will be enough room for everyone? And how crowded is it? Anything you can tell us will help to make a decision.If we wanted to do more dinner type places rather than a bar, my wife, who works near Penn suggested the following places for larger groups (private room may be availablel... big question also is whether or not there is an event at MSG that night.

https://casanonna.com/new-york/
http://m.mobilewebsiteserver.com/site/niles?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nilesnyc.com%2F&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

barrysloate
05-26-2018, 06:18 PM
Just a helpful suggestion. If you're going to have this get-together at a sports bar, check the date to make sure there are no 'huge' games taking place that night to avoid an even more crowded situation.

That's good advice but the Knicks and Rangers are dead and buried. What big sports night could take place over there in late June?

KingFisk
05-26-2018, 06:20 PM
That's good advice but the Knicks and Rangers are dead and buried. What big sports night could take place over there in late June?Concerts at the Garden, NBA finals on TV...actually finals will be done by then.

JollyElm
05-26-2018, 06:21 PM
That's good advice but the Knicks and Rangers are dead and buried. What big sports night could take place over there in late June?

I was mainly talking about what is on TV. Are the NBA/NHL playoffs over by your proposed date? Keep that in mind.

barrysloate
05-26-2018, 06:21 PM
If we wanted to do more dinner type places rather than a bar, my wife, who works near Penn suggested the following places for larger groups (private room may be availablel... big question also is whether or not there is an event at MSG that night.

https://casanonna.com/new-york/
http://m.mobilewebsiteserver.com/site/niles?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nilesnyc.com%2F&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

Good suggestions Carl and I'm open to pretty much anything. The only thing I am trying to do is make it as easy as possible for people to get to. Anyplace in Manhattan is just a subway ride for me, but for some who are coming a long distance I want it to be convenient. I am entirely open to any restaurant people think will work. In fact I'd rather let somebody else choose it.

barrysloate
05-26-2018, 06:24 PM
Concerts at the Garden, NBA finals on TV...actually finals will be done by then.

Concerts, of course. That would be a problem. Last year we had a Net54 dinner around the corner from the Empire State Building. It was really nice and of course I've forgotten the name of it, but one of the crew will remember. It had a lot of smoking pipes hanging from the ceiling.

My wife reminded me it was Keen's Steakhouse. Super nice with great food, but pricey. It's on West 36th Street.

MVSNYC
05-26-2018, 08:01 PM
Barry, you’re doing good so far. As you remember it’s not easy organizing these, ha.

I should be good for Thursday June 21.

The way they usually go, we’ll end up with a dozen people max.

As we know, Keens is one of the best steakhouses in the city. Add to that Sparks, Old Homestead, Peter Lugers.

I’m game for whatever...our usual 6-630pm start time is good.

ibuysportsephemera
05-26-2018, 09:29 PM
Of course, I will be in Florida on the 21st. I will continue to follow this thread to see if the date changes. Enjoy!

Jeff

ullmandds
05-27-2018, 06:57 AM
summer solstice net54 new york nosh? sounds epic!

rjackson44
05-27-2018, 07:26 AM
Love Barry hobby pioneer will be in Long Beach island for sisters birthday ,,I work in nyc ,,I read anything he has to say.Enjoy the dinner Barry ,,

barrysloate
05-27-2018, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the kind words Octavio. Hopefully something in your schedule will change and you will join us.

Leon
05-30-2018, 02:34 PM
Get Crandall to help. I am sure everything will get worked out in no time. Good luck with the Dinner, all.

Barry, you’re doing good so far. As you remember it’s not easy organizing these, ha.

I should be good for Thursday June 21.

The way they usually go, we’ll end up with a dozen people max.

As we know, Keens is one of the best steakhouses in the city. Add to that Sparks, Old Homestead, Peter Lugers.

I’m game for whatever...our usual 6-630pm start time is good.

barrysloate
05-30-2018, 02:36 PM
I haven't revived this thread because I am at a bit of an impasse. A couple of regulars from our group emailed that June 21 won't work. So I am at square one without a date or a venue.

Anybody have any ideas? I'm putting out an SOS.

Leon
05-30-2018, 02:43 PM
I haven't revived this thread because I am at a bit of an impasse. A couple of regulars from our group emailed that June 21 won't work. So I am at square one without a date or a venue.

Maybe you could do a poll for a date? Only people attending can vote and you can make the votes public. IF someone votes and doesn't go we can put them in timeout or something.

MVSNYC
05-30-2018, 02:44 PM
I can plan this pretty quickly...like I've done many times prior.

I'll see what Barry wants to do.

barrysloate
05-30-2018, 03:03 PM
I probably have the easiest schedule, with just about any June date available, and I eat all kinds of food. So if anybody else wants to suggest a time and a venue, don't be bashful. I can be there.

Peter_Spaeth
05-30-2018, 03:12 PM

Don't start what you can't finish. :)
You should learn from previous disasters, seriously. Just pick the date and venue well in advance and whoever makes it, makes it. Nobody in the business world would plan a meeting this way.

barrysloate
05-30-2018, 03:30 PM
Thanks Peter. But this is not a business world meeting. Just a couple of guys getting together for a an evening of dinner and drinks.

So I'll pick a new date. It's June 14. I like a Thursday for some reason so that's it. Who's in? Please post on this thread if you can make it June 14.

frankbmd
05-30-2018, 03:38 PM
Love Barry hobby pioneer will be in Long Beach island for sisters birthday ,,I work in nyc ,,I read anything he has to say.Enjoy the dinner Barry ,,

Thanks for the kind words Octavio. Hopefully something in your schedule will change and you will join us.

If I was Octavio’s sister (I’m not), I would gladly change my birthday to the 31st of June for the benefit of the New York City Dinner thread.:D

barrysloate
05-30-2018, 03:40 PM
If I was Octavio’s sister (I’m not), I would gladly change my birthday to the 31st of June for the benefit of the New York City Dinner thread.:D

Sorry, I'm busy on the 31st.:(

KingFisk
05-30-2018, 03:45 PM
I am 50-50 for June 14th. Will know closer to the date. I don't think my presence will make or break the event for you guys. :) Thanks, Barry!

barrysloate
05-30-2018, 04:14 PM
Hope you can make it Carl.

judsonhamlin
05-30-2018, 04:42 PM
14th works for me.

bijoem
05-30-2018, 04:47 PM
a NYC Dinner thread!
:D

barrysloate
05-30-2018, 05:24 PM
a NYC Dinner thread!

Is that you? How are you Joe? Are you going to join us June 14? It's been a long time!

barrysloate
05-30-2018, 05:26 PM
14th works for me.

Look forward to seeing you. So far we are just two. I'm sure we'll get enough people to make a very nice evening of it.

bijoem
05-30-2018, 05:28 PM
yes Barry - it is me.
I saw the thread and had to post in it. :)

It has been a long time. I hope you are doing well.

I'm not sure I would be able to make it June 14.... it is a busy time at work - so I can't commit to it.

Maybe the next one.

MVSNYC
05-30-2018, 05:50 PM
I should be good for the 14th.

Hi Judd & Joe (Joe, hope you can come).

Calling Robert S, Scott L, Zach, etc...

barrysloate
05-30-2018, 06:02 PM
Please list all who are in on this thread. Thanks Michael.

I really enjoyed Keen's Steakhouse and it is very close to Penn Station, so I am going to suggest it again. Will be happy to listen to other choices too, but we will have to decide in the next few days in case a reservation is needed.

judsonhamlin
05-30-2018, 06:16 PM
I'm good with Keens. Will stop eating on Tuesday to prepare.

judsonhamlin
05-30-2018, 06:17 PM
Although with two Jersey guys, we could hijack this to the Ironbound in Newark for Portuguese. Maybe a Jersey dinner thread in our future...

brass_rat
05-30-2018, 07:08 PM
The 14th works for me, thanks!
Steve

Cmount76
05-30-2018, 07:15 PM
I'm still in!

Put me down for a guaranteed 1, and if we are fortunate enough to work out childcare, my wife will grace us with her presence as well.

Aquarian Sports Cards
05-30-2018, 07:21 PM
possible, but trying to coordinate this with a theatre trip I have to make sure it all works out before I commit.

jhs5120
05-30-2018, 07:23 PM
I live and work in NYC, so count me in!

ullmandds
05-30-2018, 07:29 PM
Im in...whatever borough it ends up being in.

barrysloate
05-31-2018, 04:08 AM
Okay June 14 is the date. That's settled.

So far we have seven commits and a few maybes.

To Michael S- and we have two Michael S's- your wife is welcome but as of now she is the only woman. Will she feel comfortable among a large group of baseball card nerds? That's your call. I can ask my wife to join us, but she is iffy.

We'll wait a couple of days to pick a restaurant. Please keep posting if you would like to join us.

enuffsenuff
05-31-2018, 06:28 AM
Just on my break at work reading thru the pages and pages of messages referring to this get together in NYC which I would dearly love to attend and meet all you guys and talk non stop cards. On the other hand 3424 miles is a heck of a long way to travel at short notice although I might be able to get a deal on a last minute flight..however for those who make it I expect you will have a blast. I have a pass out (from her indoors) for Cleveland in August but the flights are jacked up so high ($1300 ish) from the UK I may just have to wait until next year...

KingFisk
05-31-2018, 06:55 AM
Here is what is going on that night. Doesn't worry me too much. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180531/f581ef2e44d78e2b72ce92112a30d7bf.jpg

barrysloate
05-31-2018, 09:07 AM
Thanks Carl for the info, but I think we'll be okay. We'll pick a place reasonably close to Penn Station but still far enough to avoid the Hall and Oates crowd. Come to think of it, I didn't know H & O even had a crowd.

Big Six
05-31-2018, 06:52 PM
Flying back from San Francisco that evening...won’t be able to get down to NYC in time. Have fun boys...hope to meet you guys next time...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hcv123
05-31-2018, 09:35 PM
A lot in flux at work - Will need to know when commitment is needed. Thanks.

Howard

HobokenJon
05-31-2018, 10:36 PM
Count me in. Just say where and when. It'll be fun meeting you guys.

barrysloate
06-01-2018, 04:57 AM
A lot in flux at work - Will need to know when commitment is needed. Thanks.

Howard

If we make a reservation, we know we may have one or two more or less than we anticipate. If you are able to commit at any time great. If your schedule frees up at the last minute, just show up. We'll find room for you one way or the other.

barrysloate
06-02-2018, 08:45 AM
Just wanted to bump this up to the top, and add a few notes.

I have a few suggestions for a restaurant which I will post later this weekend. Of course, I will listen to others thoughts, but at some point soon we have to pick one.

Also, I've been getting emails and PM's from some who want to join us, but please post on this thread only. Before we make a reservation I will do a head count from here. We don't have to be precise, of course. If we reserve a table for twelve and you are the thirteenth guy to show up, you won't go home hungry, we'll make sure you eat a square meal. But it's nice to be as accurate as possible.

Thanks guys and looking forward to the 14th.

Bpm0014
06-02-2018, 09:28 AM
I didn't know H & O even had a crowd.

Huge resurgence in the last 10-15 years. They are pretty much selling out all the major arenas for every show. Saw them in Pittsburgh last year. Sold out show of like 15,000+. They are unreal live....

KingFisk
06-02-2018, 09:30 AM
I didn't know H & O even had a crowd.

Huge resurgence in the last 10-15 years. They are pretty much selling out all the major arenas for every show. Saw them in Pittsburgh last year. Sold out show of like 15,000+. They are unreal live....Indeed, they were hitting the PAC circuit for years and are back to arena level. I think the Yacht Rock web series had a lot to do with kickstarting the revival.

KingFisk
06-02-2018, 10:33 AM
Also, Barry, at this point I am closer to 75% going (a 25% gain from last week!).

barrysloate
06-02-2018, 12:56 PM
Also, Barry, at this point I am closer to 75% going (a 25% gain from last week!).

Only 25% more to go.

barrysloate
06-02-2018, 01:42 PM
I just got off the phone with Ted Z. and not only is he joining us, but his lovely wife Charlotte will also be attending. They are coming to NYC for a couple of days to take it all in. As such, my wife Judy will also be coming as she and Charlotte are good friends.

So anybody who wants to bring a spouse or significant other with them, please don't be bashful. Since we are now getting to be a pretty big group, when we finally pick a restaurant, I will probably get two tables. The women or couples can sit at one if they choose. We've found in the past that if you put too many people at one table, and the restaurant is loud, you can only have a conversation with the people sitting right next to you. So two tables should work fine.

So again,wives are invited and welcome. Single folks too.

MVSNYC
06-02-2018, 02:33 PM
Barry-

Besides Keens, also look up...

Sparks Steakhouse on 46th
Avra on 48th (great greek food)
PJ Clarkes on 55th (legendary burgers & raw bar)
Naples 45 on 45th (big Italian restaurant, great pizza)
Becco on 46th (Lidia's pasta joint) in theater district

barrysloate
06-02-2018, 02:46 PM
Michael- Steve H suggested this restaurant, Haymaker, on West 29th St. Looks like it will fill the bill of not being too pricey, more a comfort food place. I'm not sure I even want to pick a place- would you like to? But please at least look at Haymaker and let's consider it.

http://www.haymakernyc.com/

MVSNYC
06-02-2018, 02:56 PM
Looks decent. Nice spread of Bourbons.

I'm easy...as long as the food, drinks and atmosphere are fantastic. ;)

Also, we gotta make sure any of these places can accommodate our size group...that'll be the deciding factor.

barrysloate
06-02-2018, 03:13 PM
I will give Haymaker a call Monday and get a feel of how they can seat say a group of around 12-15. I'll report back afterwards.

Gary Dunaier
06-03-2018, 06:52 PM
If we reserve a table for twelve and you are the thirteenth guy to show up, you won't go home hungry, we'll make sure you eat a square meal.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/514gbNd8xgL._SY450_.jpg

barrysloate
06-04-2018, 01:59 PM
I just called Haymaker on 29th Street and was told that they have room for large parties such as ours. For more than ten people, I would have to email the manager to make arrangements. And the woman said if one or two extra show up, it will be no problem accommodating everyone. That is all good news.

Before I make a reservation, I'd like to wait at least a day to see if we have any other suggestions for a venue. I will also do a head count and list everyone who so far has committed. If you don't see your name on the list and want to come, just post on this thread and I will add it (no PM's or emails, please, let's keep everything in one place).

There is a link to Haymaker at post #101. It looks friendly and casual, and not super pricey. I will still listen to others. Now is the time as we should have a reservation locked in over the next couple of days.

barrysloate
06-05-2018, 09:08 AM
Okay, no suggestions to counter Haymaker. So we are now confirmed for June 14, and I am going to choose Haymaker as our restaurant. It will be a first for all of us, but what is the worst that can happen? I would say let's meet for drinks at 6:00, and we can set a 6:30 time for a sit down dinner.

Now in order to make a reservation, we need a fairly accurate headcount. Again, if we are off by a couple it won't matter, but I think it's fair to ask people for a commitment.

Here is what we have so far for sure:

Judy and Barry S.
Charlotte and Ted Z.
Michael S
Steve H
Pete U
Jason S
Jon W
Judson H
Carl P
Keith T

Now we have a few, such as Jamie B and Judson H, who committed to our first date but haven't done so for the 14th. If you are still in please post. I received to emails, from Aaron and Keith T., and I have a friend Michael O who reads the board but doesn't post but may join us. Also Scott R was a maybe. It would be a great help to let me know for sure.

So we have 10 commits but too many maybes to make the reservation. Let's say everyone who still wants to come to please post by 3:00 PM tomorrow, and then I will contact the restaurant. Everyone is welcome so all you have to do is post and you're in. And if I accidentally missed your name please let me know. Thanks all!

judsonhamlin
06-05-2018, 09:25 AM
I'm in for the 14th, so you can add one to the reservation

barrysloate
06-05-2018, 09:26 AM
Great Judd. I'll keep updating the list as names come in.

HobokenJon
06-05-2018, 07:20 PM
I’m in.

barrysloate
06-06-2018, 07:39 AM
Just a reminder that I will be contacting the restaurant later this afternoon to make a reservation. If you want to join us and your name does not appear on the list at post #106, now is the time to let me know. Again, everyone is welcome. Don't be shy.

KingFisk
06-06-2018, 09:23 AM
Just a reminder that I will be contacting the restaurant later this afternoon to make a reservation. If you want to join us and your name does not appear on the list at post #106, now is the time to let me know. Again, everyone is welcome. Don't be shy.

I am in, too.

barrysloate
06-06-2018, 09:25 AM
I am in, too.

We got you up to 100%. Look forward to meeting you.

KingFisk
06-06-2018, 09:36 AM
We got you up to 100%. Look forward to meeting you.Looking forward to meeting all of you as well!

Aquarian Sports Cards
06-06-2018, 12:16 PM
http://gifimage.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/kramer-im-out-gif-2.gif

barrysloate
06-06-2018, 12:21 PM
http://gifimage.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/kramer-im-out-gif-2.gif

You're out of the contest?

barrysloate
06-06-2018, 12:50 PM
Okay, looks like we have thirteen commits plus the possibility of one or two more. I am about to contact the restaurant to make a reservation. I'll request seating for about fifteen, with drinks at 6:00 and dinner at 6:30. I'll get back to you after they respond.

Aquarian Sports Cards
06-06-2018, 01:18 PM
LOL actually he just says "I'm Out" in that clip. My wife's last day of school is the 13th it's just too hectic, sorry it didn't work out would love to meet some more board members.

barrysloate
06-06-2018, 02:06 PM
LOL actually he just says "I'm Out" in that clip. My wife's last day of school is the 13th it's just too hectic, sorry it didn't work out would love to meet some more board members.

Yes, I know Seinfeld very well.:)

Sorry you can't make it. There will always be another dinner down the road.

barrysloate
06-06-2018, 03:37 PM
Okay, we have a reservation. The Haymaker just offered us their back room, so we will get to party and make a little hay (sorry about that, I couldn't resist, it was just sitting there). We should all meet starting at 6:00, although I will get there early since it's my gig. I'll revive this thread on the morning of the 14th with all the pertinent information. The backroom gives us the opportunity to add extra people in case we have some last minute arrivals. Should be a fun evening.

MVSNYC
06-06-2018, 03:44 PM
Well done, Barry.

I should be able to get there a little early. My wife’s not able to come, but Dar might make a special appearance, I’m working on that.

barrysloate
06-06-2018, 04:05 PM
That's great Michael. The restaurant will give us two tables that can be combined into one if we choose.

They asked me to call the day before to confirm and give them a head count, so if anyone decides at the last minute they want to join and can post on this thread, that would be helpful. Obviously, if we are off by one or two they will accommodate.

barrysloate
06-13-2018, 03:50 AM
Good morning all. Tomorrow night is our dinner and a couple of names have already dropped off the list. I will call the restaurant late this afternoon to make the reservation, so if your name is not on it at post #106 and you would like to join, please let me know. Likewise, if you're on it and something came up, give a holler and I'll remove it. I will also put all the pertinent information up later today. Look forward to tomorrow.

HobokenJon
06-13-2018, 12:30 PM
Still in. See y’all there.

ullmandds
06-13-2018, 12:59 PM
I also am still in. Lookong forward to it!

barrysloate
06-13-2018, 02:10 PM
Okay, I just made our reservation, and it looks like we will be around 10-12 people. Funny, but they told me it will probably be crowded due to the Hall & Oates concert, so you guys called it right.

The restaurant is Haymaker and it's at 252 West 29th Street, which is near the corner of 8th Avenue. We should be able to sit around 6:15-6:30, or whenever we are ready. I will get there around 5:30 or shortly thereafter, so please feel free to get there a little early and meet by the bar. Dress is casual so no worries there.

Look forward to seeing everybody. Any questions or other issues please post them here. I will check the thread up until I leave for Manhattan tomorrow afternoon.

RedsFan1941
06-13-2018, 02:21 PM
sounds like it's going to be great!!!!!

MVSNYC
06-13-2018, 02:31 PM
Well Barry, looks like you did it! And very efficiently too.

:)

See ya tmw.

KingFisk
06-13-2018, 02:44 PM
My little girl has the sniffles - as of now I am still planning on being there but if things go south overnight I may need to bow out. But as of now I am in!

barrysloate
06-13-2018, 03:56 PM
Well Barry, looks like you did it! And very efficiently too.

:)

See ya tmw.

Thank you Michael. And I am probably the last guy you would want to put a dinner party together. See you manana.

Carl, hope your daughter feels better and you will join us.

brass_rat
06-13-2018, 04:14 PM
Yes, thanks, Barry! See you all tomorrow. Glad it's casual because I'm exclusively shorts and t-shirt. :D

Steve

barrysloate
06-13-2018, 04:56 PM
Yes, thanks, Barry! See you all tomorrow. Glad it's casual because I'm exclusively shorts and t-shirt. :D

Steve

I know you'll be in shorts. I think I'm going to go tuxedo and top hat.

BuzzD
06-13-2018, 05:01 PM
I am in LI and would be interested. Late June ok; kind of a newbie to the Board

Buzz D

barrysloate
06-13-2018, 05:25 PM
Buzz D- you are welcome to come, but late June won't work. We have a reservation for tomorrow night. I posted the address above at #125 so if you show up we will make a place for you. I guess you haven't been following this thread,

Leon
06-14-2018, 08:08 AM
Buzz D- you are welcome to come, but late June won't work. We have a reservation for tomorrow night. I posted the address above at #125 so if you show up we will make a place for you. I guess you haven't been following this thread,

ok let's make it july 14th :)...wait, do I need to read something or can I just interject anything, anytime and change it? ...j/k

I am already eagerly awaiting an update to how it goes. The one I attended was good... Will always remember the Bruces behavior that night. Weird.

KingFisk
06-14-2018, 08:27 AM
Thank you Michael. And I am probably the last guy you would want to put a dinner party together. See you manana.

Carl, hope your daughter feels better and you will join us.

Thanks, Barry - still tracking to be there!

barrysloate
06-14-2018, 09:02 AM
ok let's make it july 14th :)...wait, do I need to read something or can I just interject anything, anytime and change it? ...j/k

I am already eagerly awaiting an update to how it goes. The one I attended was good... Will always remember the Bruces behavior that night. Weird.

I remember your visit well Leon. And if I recall correctly, didn't Bruce bolt on the check?

MVSNYC
06-14-2018, 09:43 AM
He had a Dial7 "limo" waiting outside...literally. Wonka had fun with that.

barrysloate
06-14-2018, 09:54 AM
He had a Dial7 "limo" waiting outside...literally. Wonka had fun with that.

Bruce showed up in his limousine, ate his dinner, got up from the table and left without saying goodnight or paying his share of the bill. Wonka picked it up, I believe. Strange but true.

MVSNYC
06-14-2018, 10:29 AM
Actually, I thought Leon picked up that one.

KingFisk
06-14-2018, 10:40 AM
What was Bruce like in person? Different than board persona? The ghosting and bailing on the check seems like 100% board persona.

barrysloate
06-14-2018, 10:49 AM
Bruce was quite different in person, not as combative, but he still sorely lacked social skills. He and I were friends but also always seemed to be at loggerheads about something.

barrysloate
06-14-2018, 02:25 PM
Heading to Manhattan in about 15 minutes. See you all shortly!

egri
06-14-2018, 02:40 PM
Is this the same Bruce who threatened to sue himself when the old posts got archived and he didn’t realize it?

KingFisk
06-14-2018, 03:59 PM
If anyone is still checking this, I should be there around 6:30.

MVSNYC
06-14-2018, 04:16 PM
We’re all in the back room...

RedsFan1941
06-14-2018, 06:09 PM
can't imagine a cooler place to be in NYC tonight

KingFisk
06-14-2018, 06:36 PM
Thank you, Barry, for organizing such a fun event. It was great meeting everyone and my only regret was that I didn't get to spend time talking to everyone! Looking forward to the next one.

barrysloate
06-14-2018, 07:14 PM
Carl- great meeting you too, and we still owe you $10 change. You left a few minutes too soon.
!
Fantastic evening, even if it was a little too loud in the restaurant. Great seeing old friends, and meeting Michael and Jenni, Carl,Jon, and Pete for the first time. It was a great group and we'll have to do it again soon.

And a little later Jenni is going to post a picture to prove we really did get together. Thanks to everyone!

Cmount76
06-14-2018, 09:15 PM
Thanks again Barry for organizing a great evening. It was a pleasure to meet everyone and put faces to the names!

And as promised, here is the photographic proof it actually took place!

brass_rat
06-14-2018, 09:49 PM
Yes, thank you for organizing, Barry!

A very enjoyable dinner, and I'm glad that Ted was able to make the trip and that Pete was able to be there as a out-of-town visitor as well!

Steve

Leon
06-14-2018, 10:40 PM
Actually, I thought Leon picked up that one.

Wonka got that one.

And yes, the same "Bruces" who threatened to sue himself. Still the funniest thread ever on our board, imo, though Adrian is close.

MVSNYC
06-14-2018, 11:48 PM
Michael, you have a higher res pic? I think Charlotte took a good pic, too.

Fun time. Great conversation, and great burger too!

Cmount76
06-15-2018, 03:21 AM
[QUOTE=MVSNYC;1786829]Michael, you have a higher res pic? I think Charlotte took a good pic, too.

Yeah. Unfortunately, I had to shrink it down this small in order to get it to fit.

barrysloate
06-15-2018, 03:27 AM
Good morning Michael. There is probably a way to make the photo larger, but I have no idea how. Somebody else could tell you.

And I'm grateful everyone had a good time. For me to put a dinner party together is almost inconceivable, and yet it happened, and it was a success.

barrysloate
06-15-2018, 03:48 AM
Here you go guys. Starting far left and going clockwise:

Keith T, Ted Z, Pete U, Steve H (in hiding), Carl P, Yours truly, Michael S, Hoboken Jon, Judson H, and Michael "Broadleaf 460" S.

ullmandds
06-15-2018, 05:04 AM
It was great to see everyone last night...i'm glad I was able to attend the ny dinner as a "guest"

KingFisk
06-15-2018, 07:25 AM
Carl- great meeting you too, and we still owe you $10 change. You left a few minutes too soon.
!
Fantastic evening, even if it was a little too loud in the restaurant. Great seeing old friends, and meeting Michael and Jenni, Carl,Jon, and Pete for the first time. It was a great group and we'll have to do it again soon.

And a little later Jenni is going to post a picture to prove we really did get together. Thanks to everyone!Ah, I need that $10 to help pay off my new acquisitions! :) PayPal works for me, let me know. If not, we can hold as a credit until next dinner.

tedzan
06-18-2018, 06:05 PM
Hi Barry and Judy

Thank you for organizing a great get together last Thursday nite. Charlotte and I don't get into NYC much anymore. So, this was a real treat.
The weather was perfect, and we checked-out some of the NY attractions during our 2-day stay.

I have scaled down setting-up at BB card shows, so it was nice talkin' BB and BB cards with old friends......Keith, Jon, Judson, Michael, Peter,
Steve, and of course you.

Plus meeting Carl and Mike and his lovely wife Jenni.

I've been in this hobby for over 40 years. It is now 35 years since you and I first met, Barry. We certainly love our little pieces of cardboard,
but the greatest love that any of us can have are all the friends that this hobby has brought us.

TED Z

T206 Reference (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=237816)

barrysloate
06-19-2018, 07:10 AM
Absolutely Ted, we enjoyed seeing you and Charlotte and meeting new board members too. As you know I can be a bit socially awkward, and that would be an understatement, so the fact I put this dinner together is about as out of character for me as I could imagine. It it was a good experience however, although I will pass off the reins to someone else next time.