PDA

View Full Version : 1933 Wheaties Babe Ruth Flip Book Ad

JLange
05-24-2018, 04:45 AM
I found this comic ad for the Babe Ruth Flip Book which comes from a July 30th St. Louis Post Dispatch. The same ad ran on the same day in WI, PA, MT, IN, LA and probably many more places. The Standard Catalog has this as a 1932 issue, but it looks like it might be from 1933 instead. See detail with date in the 2nd pic.

Also, Wheaties used a similar format in 1933 to run comic ads for a Jack Dempsey autographed puzzle picture, and a Johnny Weissmuller (Tarzan) autographed photo.

Leon
05-24-2018, 07:30 AM
Neat little booklets, thanks for posting that.

Cozumeleno
05-24-2018, 08:15 AM
Great info - thanks for sharing.

Cozumeleno
05-24-2018, 02:58 PM
I just went to look into this more and it looks like the actual book itself has a 1932 copyrighted date on it. It is difficult to make out because of some of the pictures online and it looks smudged on most I've seen. But it looks like 1932 to me, which is where I'm guessing the classification came from. Maybe if someone has a copy with a clear copyright it can be confirmed.

It's possible that advertisement was from 1933 but the books had been created the year before and were simply still being circulated at that time.

Cozumeleno
05-24-2018, 02:59 PM
I just went to look into this more and it looks like the actual book itself has a 1932 copyrighted date on it. It is difficult to make out because of some of the pictures online and it looks smudged on most I've seen. But it looks like 1932 to me, which is where I'm guessing the classification came from. Maybe if someone has a copy with a clear copyright it can be confirmed.

It's possible that advertisement was from 1933 but the books had been created the year before and were simply still being circulated at that time.