PDA

View Full Version : Sellers using SMR prices to establish market price for non PSA graded cards???

bigfish
05-22-2018, 05:36 PM
The PSA SMR magazine prices are based upon PSA graded cards sales period. Anyone selling non PSA graded cards for PSA SMR prices is cutting edge or a used car salesmen.

Opinions welcome.

Disclaimer - I love Sgc. All of my keeper cards and sets are in sgc holders.

CurtisFlood
05-22-2018, 05:40 PM
Nothing wrong with selling a card for the value of the condition it is in. Problem is some people don't know how to establish a condition for a card, especially if that card is their own. That sneaky old bias could occur then.

Rich Falvo
05-22-2018, 05:52 PM
I have no problem using those prices as a guide along with eBay, VCP, and other sources.

Aquarian Sports Cards
05-22-2018, 06:31 PM
I look at SMR to establish a range even on raw cards. Do I ask SMR EX price for a raw EX card? Nope, but it gives me an idea along with other resources and what I paid, and it's quick because I always seem to have one handy.

Vintageclout
05-22-2018, 08:24 PM
The PSA SMR magazine prices are based upon PSA graded cards sales period. Anyone selling non PSA graded cards for PSA SMR prices is cutting edge or a used car salesmen.

Opinions welcome.

Disclaimer - I love Sgc. All of my keeper cards and sets are in sgc holders.

SMR prices are way below market for many pre-war PSA cards. Check out the embarrassing Cracker Jack pricing and a Baba Ruth VG/3 Rookie is listed for less than $50K???? A complete joke. I do agree that any of the accurate pricing is only related to PSA cards, especially mainstream issues and most post-war sets.

Leon
05-22-2018, 08:58 PM
SMR prices are way below market for many pre-war PSA cards. Check out the embarrassing Cracker Jack pricing and a Baba Ruth VG/3 Rookie is listed for less than $50K???? A complete joke. I do agree that any of the accurate pricing is only related to PSA cards, especially mainstream issues and most post-war sets.

I paid over smr on 5 different PSA graded T205s yesterday. I would do it everyday if those same type cards were available. It's a guide like anything else....

glynparson
05-23-2018, 04:40 AM
I disregard all printed guides I price what i feel is a fair price if they buy it great if not i have other stuff to sell and other buyers to sell cards. I understand the frustration of Toby but I try not to let it bother me when buying and just judge each card on what i think its worth and what the seller wants for it.

Rhotchkiss
05-23-2018, 05:31 AM
Does the SMR show what the price would be if you had to pay a buyers premium?:eek::D

Rhotchkiss
05-23-2018, 05:32 AM
Does the SMR show what the price would be if you had to pay a buyers premium?:eek::D (sorry, couldn’t help myself)

toledo_mudhen
05-23-2018, 06:25 AM
Not sure why SMR gets so much hate - It's a guide - a starting point if you will. PSA does a good job of keeping fairly regular updates -and it's FREE

bigfish
05-23-2018, 06:38 AM
Glyn you’re right. Ignore and move on.

QUOTE=toledo_mudhen;1779627]Not sure why SMR gets so much hate - It's a guide - a starting point if you will. PSA does a good job of keeping fairly regular updates -and it's FREE[/QUOTE]

The “hate” for me is the sellers trying to sell non Psa graded cards that are off center for SMR or record PSA reported sales. The sad part it is people are falling for this and grossly over paying for cards.

Moving on

ruth_rookie
05-23-2018, 06:54 AM
I have no problem using those prices as a guide along with eBay, VCP, and other sources.

I have actually found (as i’m sure most people have) that SMR seems to be a very conservative figure. Most of their values are below recent auction and buy-it-now prices. I rarely sell cards on eBay, but when I do I use PSA’s auction tool to determine where to set my listing price. Before I knew that tool was available, I went off of SMR and jacked up the price to factor in eBay and PayPal fees. I figured either the market is stronger than I thought or I’m doing something wrong (probably the latter) because my cards were selling within minutes of listing them. Then I discovered their auction pricing tool and adjusted accordingly. The cards don’t sell as quickly, but they eventually do and for a higher price.

Leon
05-23-2018, 07:03 AM
Hey Toby
In the same vein as what you are saying, I dislike it when people quote me VCP for any card I have and am selling. That is because my cards have purple stickers!! Well, not really but they could have some other color of sticker. SMR on this puppy, in a 4.5 is about (there is no half grade pricing) $350. I paid almost 200% for this one....

Glyn you’re right. Ignore and move on.

QUOTE=toledo_mudhen;1779627]Not sure why SMR gets so much hate - It's a guide - a starting point if you will. PSA does a good job of keeping fairly regular updates -and it's FREE

The “hate” for me is the sellers trying to sell non Psa graded cards that are off center for SMR or record PSA reported sales. The sad part it is people are falling for this and grossly over paying for cards.

Moving on[/QUOTE]

bigfish
05-23-2018, 07:41 AM
Hey Toby
In the same vein as what you are saying, I dislike it when people quote me VCP for any card I have and am selling. That is because my cards have purple stickers!! Well, not really but they could have some other color of sticker. SMR on this puppy, in a 4.5 is about (there is no half grade pricing) $350. I paid almost 200% for this one....

Moving on[/QUOTE]

Some of these sellers have a deep bag of tricks. Good thing you didn’t just fall off the turnip truck. 😊😊😊

Vintageclout
05-23-2018, 07:59 AM
What is getting lost in this whole discussion is the substantial premiums that cards with superb eye appeal can realize. It is no secret that collectors are focusing more on aesthetics than a numerical grade, especially with regard to centering. For example, iconic cards such as the Ruth Rookie, 51 Bowman/52 Topps Mantles, Green Portrait Cobb, etc. rarely surface with 45/55 to 50/50 centering, and when they do, premiums can range anywhere from 25-50%. This goes far beyond SMR listed issues, because listed auction sales don’t take into account a card’s overall aesthetics. Bottom line is a brilliant looking card will fetch far more than any “guide” or “auction” standard pricing point.

That said, I have to laugh when Collector’s/Dealers BUYING high-end eye appeal cards only point to a guide/auction pricing point, but when they are SELLING, dismiss the listed values due to the cards outstanding aesthetics! Hypocritical to say the least!

jcmtiger
05-23-2018, 08:09 AM
Sell for what you like, buyers can decide.

joe

ruth_rookie
05-23-2018, 08:21 AM
What is getting lost in this whole discussion is the substantial premiums that cards with superb eye appeal can realize. It is no secret that collectors are focusing more on aesthetics than a numerical grade, especially with regard to centering.

Excellent point. In fact, the current pwcc auction has a pair of ‘65 Mantles. One is a PSA 6 and the other PSA 7. The 6 is nicely centered, the 7 not so much. Guess which one is bid higher.

Vintageclout
05-23-2018, 08:29 AM
Excellent point. In fact, the current pwcc auction has a pair of ‘65 Mantles. One is a PSA 6 and the other PSA 7. The 6 is nicely centered, the 7 not so much. Guess one is bid higher.

Yep....centering rules!

Rich Falvo
05-23-2018, 01:52 PM
I have actually found (as i’m sure most people have) that SMR seems to be a very conservative figure. Most of their values are below recent auction and buy-it-now prices. I rarely sell cards on eBay, but when I do I use PSA’s auction tool to determine where to set my listing price. Before I knew that tool was available, I went off of SMR and jacked up the price to factor in eBay and PayPal fees. I figured either the market is stronger than I thought or I’m doing something wrong (probably the latter) because my cards were selling within minutes of listing them. Then I discovered their auction pricing tool and adjusted accordingly. The cards don’t sell as quickly, but they eventually do and for a higher price.

They are definitely conservative. I've been looking a lot lately at the Sport Kings set and I can't find PSA cards for the prices on the SMR.