PDA

View Full Version : Silvio Garcia'a Birthday party

Jason19th
05-19-2018, 08:18 AM
Just picked up this photo of what I believe is Silvio Garcia's birthday party in Mexico in 1945. For those who don't know Garcia was a Cuban and Negro league great who excelled as both a pitcher and a short stop. He could have been Martin Dihigo if Dihigo hadn't been there first. There are also some stories that Garcia lost the desire to pitch after almost killing someone with a fastball.
I believe that it's Garcia in the light outfit at the table. I believe that it's Pancho Coumbre ( the player Clemente called the best PuertoRican player ever) waiving in the foreground and can clearly see Pedro Formental and Julio Rojo against the wall. Sal Hernandez is sitting just behind Coimbre's waving hand. The back has what I believe are birthday wishes by Pedro Pages, Conrad Perez and formental. I would love an Id thoughts and translations of the inscriptions

Dewey
05-19-2018, 09:08 AM
The last message looks to be from Pepita, saying "I assisted at this party...with great pleasure." Can't make out the middle bit.

Middle message something like "Sincerely for my good friend and companion Silvio Garcia. Conrado Perez."