PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Musial

PZdiaz110
05-09-2018, 03:32 PM
I stumbled upon this in Pittsburgh while attending the 2018 NCECA conference, (National Council on Education for the Ceramic Arts). A tea bowl by Dan Anderson, (https://americanart.si.edu/artist/dan-anderson-27925), with a decal of Stan Musial! I was looking to add a piece to my ceramics collection but certainly didn’t expect to find a baseball tie in.

Interestingly enough, (at least to me), there was an author speaking on the topic of tea bowls. She contends that the form itself has been elevated to iconic status in the west. When I spoke to her about the Musial tea bowl, she made the comment: “How wonderful, an icon on an icon!”

ullmandds
05-09-2018, 03:40 PM
Awesome! I know dan...and im a ceramics afficionado as well. I have a dan anderson orchid pot with a few images of japanese baseball players on it!!!

FourStrikes
05-09-2018, 04:07 PM
Nice!

CW
05-09-2018, 05:00 PM
Interesting piece. And I like how the thread title rolls off the tongue.

quitcrab
05-09-2018, 06:18 PM
I teach HS art. How was that image applied? After glazing and firing?
Could I do it with my class next year. Live to know the technique.
Scott

PZdiaz110
05-09-2018, 08:09 PM
Awesome! I know dan...and im a ceramics afficionado as well. I have a dan anderson orchid pot with a few images of japanese baseball players on it!!!

Very cool! I was wondering if he had used any other baseball images in his work. (A friend of mine picked up a different Dan Anderson tea bowl with Bo Diddley on it.) Would be great to see an image of it if you have it nearby.

PZdiaz110
05-09-2018, 08:22 PM
I teach HS art. How was that image applied? After glazing and firing?
Could I do it with my class next year. Live to know the technique.
Scott

Cool! I teach elementary art & also run our HS Art Club. Here's a link: https://rothshank.com/justins-work/decal-resources/

I've experimented with laser printers and decal papers with mixed results. For students I would look into stock decals. Some places will let you customize.

Good Luck!

Dave

quitcrab
05-11-2018, 01:17 AM
Thanks for the link. Scott

ullmandds
05-11-2018, 06:35 AM
Very cool! I was wondering if he had used any other baseball images in his work. (A friend of mine picked up a different Dan Anderson tea bowl with Bo Diddley on it.) Would be great to see an image of it if you have it nearby.

I believe dan is a cards fan...hence the musial yunomi. He uses decals a lot...in his water/oil tower pots...and as of lately...last few year he's been using some japanese baseball decals as well. I'll try to get an image up today.

btw dan is on facebook and would certainly answer any questions you may have.

ullmandds
05-11-2018, 07:06 AM
here you go!

PZdiaz110
05-11-2018, 06:23 PM
here you go!

Wow! Just WOW! Thanks for posting these!!