PDA

View Full Version : Candiman — What Did You Get?

frankbmd
05-08-2018, 06:50 AM
Proudly display your winnings.

Peter_Spaeth
05-08-2018, 07:00 AM
It's too early in the morning to laugh this hard.

Batpig
05-08-2018, 07:10 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6DGNZnfKYnU

bnorth
05-08-2018, 07:12 AM
Unfortunately Daniel did not have anything I just could not live without in this auction.:(

Aquarian Sports Cards
05-08-2018, 07:42 AM
I'm still enjoying the run-around I got at his last auction...

scooter729
05-08-2018, 07:45 AM
Picked up this one that I've always wanted - a red Cobb, I think? Guaranteed not trimmed so I'm good with their word!

ALR-bishop
05-08-2018, 07:46 AM
Frank-- what is your assessment of their auction ending format ? Do we need to have Steve lobby them too ?

Shoeless Moe
05-08-2018, 07:49 AM
Not a fan of their "auction will close when the last shill bidder falls asleep" format.

I kid I kid!

Bpm0014
05-08-2018, 08:48 AM
hahahahahahaha

Exhibitman
05-08-2018, 09:44 AM
I'm not sure what is more offensive: their business model or them trying to fake us out.

BLongley
05-08-2018, 09:49 AM
I just looked through closing prices.... wow! Some were pretty low... not sure the last time I saw a PSA 8 56 Topps Mantle sell for $6500! There were a lot of no bids on items (certainly understand no bids on their raw stuff).

Will this be the last Candiman auction?

h2oya311
05-08-2018, 09:57 AM
thanks for the early morning laugh, guys!

savedfrommyspokes
05-08-2018, 10:12 AM
I just looked through closing prices.... wow! Some were pretty low... not sure the last time I saw a PSA 8 56 Topps Mantle sell for $6500! There were a lot of no bids on items (certainly understand no bids on their raw stuff).

Will this be the last Candiman auction?

The 56 Mantle PSA 8 last sold for $8k, nearly a $1300 loss on that card.....this card must have been a "loss leader". I wonder when/where this card will resurface?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-Topps-135-Mickey-Mantle-Gray-Back-PSA-8-NM-MT-CENTERED/273106085990?hash=item3f96642866:g:FI4AAOSwheFapNV h

brianp-beme
05-08-2018, 12:00 PM
What i got from Candiman Auction was an email from them about their auction closing. What they got from me was my prompt identification of this email as spam.

Brian

Peter_Spaeth
05-08-2018, 12:15 PM
I'm not sure what is more offensive: their business model or them trying to fake us out.

I vote for B.

bobbyw8469
05-08-2018, 12:26 PM
I heard an old saying. "Burn me once, shame on you. Burn me twice, shame on me". I believed them at their word and gave them a chance in their inaugural auction. I got burned. I would be foolish to bid in anymore of their auctions. And that's all I have to say about that.

Wite3
05-08-2018, 12:59 PM
Seriously,
It is not really over...their auction closing format is as follows...

1. Post a time and date of initial close
2. Last bidder (shill or otherwise) 10 minutes no bid, closes lot.
3. Auction continues on ebay with "unsold" sold lots-- or actual unsold lots--or lots that sold but were not paid for-- or lots that sold to a friend and he is auctioning it off for us lots-- or lots that did not meet the hidden reserve, etc....
4. Next auction will post soon and will include lots of lots of unsold material, new material, and material that was no paid for by our shill bidder last time...
5. It never ends!

Yoda
05-08-2018, 01:02 PM
Well, I hope Candiman and their precedent flim flam operations, Battlefield and War Eagle, will now quietly go to the Hall of Shame where they belong, but somehow I doubt it. People like this don't know when to quit.

Peter_Spaeth
05-08-2018, 01:05 PM
The impulse to post a verse (again) is just too strong.

Go for me
Let me be
All your own candi candi
Candiman

Thanks for listening.

Rookiemonster
05-08-2018, 01:47 PM
How did people get burned ? I must have missed it. I seen them talking about not being battlefield. I seen everyone talking about what the bought. So what happened after that?

Marchillo
05-08-2018, 07:40 PM
How did people get burned ? I must have missed it. I seen them talking about not being battlefield. I seen everyone talking about what the bought. So what happened after that?

One example is someone bid on an auction and ended up as the under bidder. That item was then listed on eBay around 10 days later along with a slew of other items. The assumption was they schilled their own auctions and claimed the buyer flaked on them.

People who received their winnings generally seemed content but mostly on lower priced items. This is what I remember from the other thread.

Peter_Spaeth
05-08-2018, 07:44 PM

There are maybe 3 threads, they won't take long to read.

Dewey
05-08-2018, 08:02 PM
Free with every non-order. Call now!

Rookiemonster
05-09-2018, 06:56 AM
I can’t believe they came on here to talk all that talk to just be a confidence man. Well collecting is a battlefield. The fact that they never came back to say hey guys you got it all wrong is enough for me.

Peter_Spaeth
05-09-2018, 07:00 AM
I can’t believe they came on here to talk all that talk to just be a confidence man. Well collecting is a battlefield. The fact that they never came back to say hey guys you got it all wrong is enough for me.

(sings)
Well did they ever return?
No they never returned
After Ed and Jeff got burned
They may hide forever in the depths of Dothan
They're the men who never returned

Rookiemonster
05-09-2018, 07:02 AM
Lol

ezez420
05-09-2018, 08:28 AM
I can say I did not bid Daniel aka/Candiman and won’t be bidding again. Every one of his cards was not one grade off but 3-4 grades off. In fact he emailed me asking what low grades I got.

It is if someone cracks them out of holders because they think they are better and sells them for what they think or what public to think.

I saw the Jackie Robinson card I won and returned because it had creases, water staining, residue, etc. To me that would be a 3 but advertised as an Ex.

Can’t wait to see in that 3 holder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter_Spaeth
05-09-2018, 08:40 AM
I can say I did not bid Daniel and won’t be bidding again. Every one of his cards was not one grade off but 3-4 grades off. In fact he emailed me asking what low grades I got.

It is if someone cracks them out of holders because they think they are better and sells them for what they think or what public to think.

I saw the Jackie Robinson card I won and returned because it had creases, water staining, residue, etc. To me that would be a 3 but advertised as an Ex.

Can’t wait to see in that 3 holder.

Well it was NM in the first auction so it's coming closer to reality.

bobbyw8469
05-09-2018, 08:47 AM
That is my biggest fear as well, when I sell NM/MT looking cards in SGC "A" holders. One was a Clemente rookie, I sold for $1,000 that looked like an '8'. I can just picture someone cracking it out and selling for for $10,000+.

ezez420
05-09-2018, 11:42 AM
You can picture? That was the clear cut definition of the Battlefield business.

Crack them out, pretend you don’t know sh*t, sell them and then block the smart people that warn others because you screw them.

Wasn’t that a great business model? It is called fck the public. And it worked until way too many complaints.

And today’s business model: create bullsht auction house, buy cards on eBay (again), crack out, pretend you don’t know anything about cards or grades, throw in some bible talk and then fck the public! As long as you mention Church you are “perceived” as honest in your own head!

buymycards
05-09-2018, 12:02 PM
[QUOTE=ezez420;1774945]You can picture? That was the clear cut definition of the Battlefield business.

Crack them out, pretend you don’t know sh*t, sell them and then block the smart people that warn others because you screw them.
And today’s business model: create bullsht auction house, buy cards on eBay (again), crack out, pretend you don’t know anything about cards or grades, throw in some bible talk and then fck the public! As long as you mention Church you are “perceived” as honest in your own head!

Plus, they get a 20% BP when they sell through the auction house.

Peter_Spaeth
05-09-2018, 12:13 PM
"1 card returned by Ed and I'm sure he will let you guys know that he had a positive experience with us and plans to bid in our future auctions."

bobbyw8469
05-09-2018, 01:02 PM
"1 card returned by Ed and I'm sure he will let you guys know that he had a positive experience with us and plans to bid in our future auctions."

Ed said no such thing.

Jay Wolt
05-09-2018, 03:22 PM
(sings)
Well did they ever return?
No they never returned
After Ed and Jeff got burned
They may hide forever in the depths of Dothan
They're the men who never returned
Wow! A Kingston Trio reference (MTA)

Peter_Spaeth
05-10-2018, 04:59 PM