PDA

View Full Version : missing card in the mail

maximus35
05-02-2018, 03:12 PM
How do you guys handle situations like this as this is the first time it has happened to me. I won a card on eBay and just received the pack in the mail. The only problem was when I opened it, there was nothing in there. It was sent in a padded envelope. There was NO tampering on the outside of the envelope at all. You could tell by feeling on the outside that there was not anything in there. I just noticed on eBay that the seller only has 7 stars. I guess all I originally noticed was the 100% positive feed back.

I am pretty sure I got screwed and the guy never really put the card in there. Ofcourse when I told him what happened and asked if he accidentally forgot to pack the card, he said he was 100% sure he did. I asked again if he could double check and he said he triple checked and the card is nowhere to be found and he is sure he sent it. So now what do i do? If I try to explain the situation to eBay, they are going to say I can't prove the card was never inside because the tracking shows it was delivered.

Gobucsmagic74
05-02-2018, 04:11 PM
Not sure if you can prove it or not but definitely file a item not received case. That or request a return and send him the same thing he sent you, thus putting the burden back on him to prove you didn’t include the card

bigfanNY
05-02-2018, 04:27 PM
Do not send back an empty envelope ... the seller will definitely either video opening the package or send it to Ebay to prove you are bad guy... he has probably done this before. Send email to Ebay and paypal maybe even call ask them what sort of request for refund you file.

thetruthisoutthere
05-02-2018, 04:33 PM
This happened to me a long time ago and I was able to get a refund.

Check the amount of postage on the envelope.

Since I possess a postage scale, I was able to convince Ebay that the difference in weight between an empty padded envelope and one with two cards is noticeably different.

Peter_Spaeth
05-02-2018, 04:56 PM
This happened to me once. Based on my track record PAYPAL sided with me and I got a refund fairly quickly.

Jenx34
05-03-2018, 07:58 AM
I could see 3 things that may have happened:
1. You got scammed
2. The guy was preparing multiple orders at the same time and put two cards in one envelope and none in the other by accident. Which would explain him not finding the card now and being "sure" he did sent it.
3. He misplaced it and hasn't found it or found it and is lying, which would refer you back to #1.

I am so anal when shipping that I make sure I only prepare one order at a time, print a packing list, write the #of cards on it, check off each one as I prepare the order, then do a final count and circle the # of cards I wrote on the packing list. Still, I sent the wrong card one time. Fortunately, I was one of a large order and the card hadn't been purchased by someone else, so I told him to keep it. He was bidding on other auctions at the time and he was cool and told me to just hold the missing card until he was done with the next group. Still it drove me nuts that I made the mistake. What I had done is look at the card # only, not the # and player. The cards were 1971s and in less than bright lighting, the # on the back is difficult to read.

Buythatcard
05-03-2018, 01:31 PM
I once had a buyer who claimed that he received an envelope from me which had a slit at the bottom and the item was missing. It was a 1964 Topps coin which cost 99 cents. I refunded his money without hesitation.

A few years later, the exact same thing happened. Once again it was 1964 Topps coin. The best part was that it was the exact same buyer.

Now, I knew this guy was trying to pull one over on me. I brought up the first incident to him and he never responded. Of course he was blocked.

Paul S
05-04-2018, 02:40 PM
I once had a buyer who claimed that he received an envelope from me which had a slit at the bottom and the item was missing. It was a 1964 Topps coin which cost 99 cents. I refunded his money without hesitation.

A few years later, the exact same thing happened. Once again it was 1964 Topps coin. The best part was that it was the exact same buyer.

Now, I knew this guy was trying to pull one over on me. I brought up the first incident to him and he never responded. Of course he was blocked.
Making his way through the world .99 cents at a time. Sheeesh

darwinbulldog
05-04-2018, 02:46 PM
Making his way through the world .99 cents at a time. Sheeesh

Hey man, just do it a million times and you're practically a millionaire.

seablaster
05-04-2018, 02:51 PM
Hey man, just do it a million times and you're practically a millionaire.

Or you'll have a million 1964 Topps coins.

maximus35
05-05-2018, 06:29 AM
Oh and I forgot to mention it was a $1600 card! That might have more to say about the integrity of the seller not really sending me the card in the mail.

FourStrikes
05-05-2018, 09:51 AM
Oh and I forgot to mention it was a $1600 card! That might have more to say about the integrity of the seller not really sending me the card in the mail.

*ouch*

I'd be pissed.

mechanicalman
05-05-2018, 06:30 PM
This happened to me once. I was able to get an affidavit from my post office stating that the package felt empty and that won the case for me. If you’re cool with your mail guy, I’d ask him or her to sign something to that effect.

egbeachley
05-05-2018, 07:16 PM
Weigh the envelope. Then weigh it with a card and holder. Then see what weight was used by the post office. Hopefully there is a difference.

cardsnstuff
05-06-2018, 12:36 PM

WOW; if seller doesn't cooperate, I would press charges for mail fraud before contacting ebay, you may have a better case for a refund than.

Leon
05-07-2018, 06:50 AM
Not your fault at all, but you are apparently someone who has not experienced the frustration with catching scammer hobbyist's red handed and having every authority you bring it to say, tough luck. At this point in our hobby it seems like the wild wild west again, to me. It is extremely difficult to get any justice in our hobby anymore, through regular authority channels, unless you say "Mastro or John Rogers".

WOW; if seller doesn't cooperate, I would press charges for mail fraud before contacting ebay, you may have a better case for a refund than.

maximus35
05-07-2018, 02:28 PM

The seller is “100%” certain he put the card in the envelope. Unless magic is real and Cris Angel isn’t a phony, then there’s no way the card mysteriously disappeared. I didn’t notice till after the sale the seller only had 7 stars. All I saw was 100% positive feedback. After asking him again if he could double check because I don’t wanna be out $1600 for a card I never received.... His response was he double checked and can’t find it but is certain he packed the card.

All I have going for me as proof is he weighed the envelope at home and postage says 1lb. No way does a card inside a top loader weigh 1lb. So the card was never inside envelope when it was weighed for postage. I took the envelope with a card Inside a top loader to the post office and had them weigh it. It was half lb.

bobbyw8469
05-07-2018, 02:48 PM
He is attempting to scam. Hopefully you tied it into your credit card. Don't be left holding the bag.