PDA

View Full Version : More eBay Rules & Regs?

toledo_mudhen
04-30-2018, 03:53 AM
Was bidding on several items from the same seller this morning. When I tried to bid on a 7th item - I received :

Sorry, you are not allowed to purchase this item
This item is only available to buyers who have not purchased 6 or more items from this seller in the past 10 days.
You can contact the seller for more information, or find similar items offered by other sellers.

Been on eBay for 20ish years now - Have never seen this one.

Contacted seller - He was just as surprised -

So yea - We are eBay Hold our Beer while we shoot ourselves in the foot - LOL

Aquarian Sports Cards
04-30-2018, 04:23 AM
wonder if that would happen if the seller were PWCC, somehow I doubt it.

Marchillo
04-30-2018, 06:32 AM
This makes no sense. When Greg Morris does certain year set breaks I may have 20 or more bids out there with them. Maybe they are trying to milk more fees out of sellers to opt out of this at a price.

Honestly this will drastically reduce my activity as I usually do my buying less frequently but in bulk from certain sellers.

Thecafewha
04-30-2018, 06:35 AM
I had same thing happen when buying from a seller in Venezuela. I assumed eBay is protecting itself and trying to limit its risk from fraud and lost product from foreign sellers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sean1125
04-30-2018, 07:32 AM
This is a seller side block, not an eBay side block. You can limit the purchases a buyer makes from you. The seller probably checked the wrong box somewhere.

vintagechris
04-30-2018, 07:26 PM
There is an option under Buyer Requirements where a seller can check this. I had some buyers that were getting this message too even though I did not have this box checked. Took several days for ebay to fix it. I was also told they do put some limits on buyers depending on how many items they have purchased recently.

If you still want to purchase from the seller, tell him to add your user ID to his Blocked Bidder Exempt list. It's a hassle but should allow you to purchase from him.

If you are a seller and are wondering if this is happening to you, go to Account settings, click on site preferences. Scroll down to Buyer Requirements and click show. On the left there is a link that says "Buyer Requirements Activity Log".
Click that and it will show you what buyers have been blocked from bidding on your items and for what reason.

Golf History
05-02-2018, 07:22 PM
This is a holdover from the early eBay days where "Wild West" rules existed in the absence of actual rules. It is hard to imagine in today's littany of encyclopedia rules. It was also a time when you could list almost anything via auction and find a buyer which made this tactic all the more chaotic and effective.

Unscrupulous competitors figured out they could either bid up all or "buy" out your listings to temporarily remove them from competing with their items. This was a virtual "wipeout" with no follow through afterwards. There were few reprocussions and these wipeouts either eliminated or severely disrupted the flow of auctions and listings. There would be at least a post a week on the old PowerSellers board from the victim of a wipeout.

eBay added the multi-quantity limit to give sellers a way to mitigate the effects of the wipeout.