PDA

View Full Version : Ebay sellers

Snapolit1
04-26-2018, 01:46 PM
Guy lists a card for BIN $4500. A simple search reveals he bought it last December for $1700.

I know it shouldn't irk me (free market economy, bla bla bla) but it does.

ALR-bishop
04-26-2018, 01:57 PM
If somone buys it at that price would it irk you more or less ? :)

bobbyw8469
04-26-2018, 02:01 PM
Guy lists a card for BIN $4500. A simple search reveals he bought it last December for $1700.

I know it shouldn't irk me (free market economy, bla bla bla) but it does.

I guess you should have bought it last December then. Not everyone likes/is as good as losing money as I am.

ibuysportsephemera
04-26-2018, 02:02 PM
So...did he get an excellent deal on the BIN or is he asking a ridiculous price?

Jeff

Snapolit1
04-26-2018, 02:17 PM
So...did he get an excellent deal on the BIN or is he asking a ridiculous price?

Jeff

Well, if 40+ people presumably educated consumers bid on a card at a leading auction house and the final number was $1700, I'd argue that a $3000 profit for holding the card a few months is a tad excessive. But I guess the market is what some dude will pay for it at any particular point in time.

Snapolit1
04-26-2018, 02:18 PM
I know its totally subjective, but trying to sell a card you just bought for $1700 for $2500 strikes me as a nice reasonable stab. And if you pull it off easy money. But $4500? I don't know. Maybe you really don't want to sell it.

Snapolit1
04-26-2018, 02:20 PM
If somone buys it at that price would it irk you more or less ? :)

Probably more. Because I think the price that the hammer landed on at heritage or LOTG or Memory Lane after a three week auction with 1000s of eyes on it is a much more accurate market indicator than one outlier sale of one potentially uninformed guy.

Shankweather
04-26-2018, 02:25 PM
It irks me because we're often talking about extremely limited items, things you may not see for sale again for years. If someone wants it bad enough they might give up 4500 for it (or offer 3500 or whatever). But that doesn't make it right. Good for business maybe but bad for the hobby in the long run.

Rhotchkiss
04-26-2018, 02:34 PM
What is the card?

scooter729
04-26-2018, 02:36 PM
I saw a card on a BIN for over a year on eBay at $1,000, which I watched but thought it was a bit high. It sold a month ago, then just reappeared on eBay last week at $3,000.

Same thing - you're free to do what you want with your card, but when it didn't sell at $1K for a year, why think you can flip it at such a major profit??

Snapolit1
04-26-2018, 02:42 PM
What is the card?

Debated posting the card but I decided against it. Nothing unlawful about what the guy is doing. I may find it a bit excessive but that's my opinion. And secondly at the end of the day I know nothing about the seller. Maybe he's about to lose his house or his wife is sick or he is in dire straits. Who knows.

I will brood in the corner silently.

Rhotchkiss
04-26-2018, 03:28 PM
Anyway, I see it all the time. Cards (that I would like to own) posted on eBay for either way more than they are worth or way more than the exact card just sold for on eBay or at some AH. Reality is, for me, eBay has become less and less of a viable purchasing option, and almost all of my acquisitions come from auction houses or through people on this and other boards/forums. That said, it totally sucks when a card you want is offered at a silly price; and it’s inifinately worse when you just passed on that same exact card for one reason or another and now some egghead thinks they are going to get 2-3x more.

Snapolit1
04-26-2018, 04:07 PM
Agree. Once in a blue moon something will appear on eBay I really need and it’s priced competitively and I grab it. Otherwise I roll the dice with auction houses. Factor in the vig and watch the process play out.

Hxcmilkshake
04-26-2018, 04:29 PM
Are you upset because he's flipping the card? I'm sure a half of us on this board have flipped / flip cards. Or is it cuz he's trying to hit a homerun / asking a ridiculous price? Without knowing the card it's hard to really weigh in. He may be a crock pot if he's selling a $1,000 card for 3/4x that and those are fun to gawk at /laugh at.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

RedsFan1941
04-26-2018, 05:04 PM
this board has more than a few longtime members who routinely pay four figures for cards in major auctions like REA and Heritage then list them within a week on the bst for more than double what they paid. maybe they can chime in on their reasoning.

x2drich2000
04-26-2018, 05:33 PM
or perhaps he bought it as part of his "business" and wants to show it is for sale to avoid paying taxes, but it is actually something he really does not want to sell.

Snapolit1
04-26-2018, 06:52 PM
There are electronics stores all over the tourist areas of NYC where they sell stuff at outrageous prices. Plenty in Times Square area. They will take a $900 iPhone and mark it for $3,000, and then have a big dramatic mark down to $2500. Tons of these stores. What they are looking for is an uneducated consumer. Maybe someone even unfamiliar with US currency, trying to bamboozle them into a indefensibly terrible transaction. On more than one occasion I have shooed people away from these stores and directed them to a real chain store with honest prices.

I have no problem with flippers. I have sold things at a profit myself. What makes me gag a little is when someone buys a picture at RHY for $500 and tries to immediately sell it for $2900. Purely hypothetical of course. I think that seller is basically fishing for someone on EBay who is not educated and who thinks they are paying market value and maybe even grabbing some great investment. I think it's akin to trying to find someone to pay $3000 for an iPhone. At some point a profit is cool. And money for nothing (and your checks for free) is American to the core. But at some point you are not looking for a decent transaction but fishing for a rube.

Are you upset because he's flipping the card? I'm sure a half of us on this board have flipped / flip cards. Or is it cuz he's trying to hit a homerun / asking a ridiculous price? Without knowing the card it's hard to really weigh in. He may be a crock pot if he's selling a $1,000 card for 3/4x that and those are fun to gawk at /laugh at.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Dewey
04-26-2018, 08:33 PM
Fishing for a rube. That's exactly what irks me. Well stated.

Jewish-collector
04-26-2018, 09:37 PM
This thread gets even more entertaining if the seller is a member of Net54 and comes on and talks about listing the card. Then it's time to put your feet up & grab a cold one. :D

auggiedoggy
04-27-2018, 01:22 AM
A vintage hockey card was purchased at a Canadian auction site for $200.00. That card is/was listed on eBay with a BIN of $5000.00. Ridiculous! :eek: