PDA

View Full Version : Yet another T206 Cobb w/ Cobb back found

Steve D
04-23-2018, 05:48 PM
This time in New Jersey.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidseideman/2018/04/23/another-rare-150k-ty-cobb-baseball-card-surfaces-this-time-in-new-jersey/#15a56aec3f73

Steve

pgconboy
04-23-2018, 05:57 PM
I'd guess the next decade will have some interesting finds when baby boomers end up downsizing/assisted living. After that, probably a sharp decline in interesting stories like this.

ullmandds
04-23-2018, 06:05 PM
Ironic...it's turning out to be a lot more common than many real t206 cobbs!

BeanTown
04-23-2018, 10:25 PM
No surprise if we start seeing more Ty Cobb back cards show up at auction or just show up. Already moving down the rarity chart with each find. Maybe the original find of 7 was actaully a lot higher. Wonder if there is a connection on these people who are making the finds.

glynparson
04-24-2018, 05:25 AM
It seems to make everyone a conspiracy nut. Because a new one was found people have to automatically attack the credibility of people they don’t even know. If collecting makes some of you so miserable, why do you even bother collecting?

T205 GB
04-24-2018, 05:49 AM
If collecting makes some of you so miserable, why do you even bother collecting?

because what else would they b!tch about:D

CrackaJackKid
04-24-2018, 06:03 AM
It seems to make everyone a conspiracy nut. Because a new one was found people have to automatically attack the credibility of people they don’t even know. If collecting makes some of you so miserable, why do you even bother collecting?

Because when it involves big money like that nothing surprises me anymore. I’m not saying I believe there is a hidden twist of a connection between the original lucky 7 and this new one but if it was revealed with certainty I wouldn’t be shocked. If they had really found 30 or 40 of them do you think it would of been made public?

ullmandds
04-24-2018, 06:15 AM
here's the newly found "beauty!" crease moustache and all!

T206Collector
04-24-2018, 06:48 AM
T206 Cobb with red background is an extremely common card.

Most people probably don’t realize the importance of the advertising back.

You have to consider that only very informed collectors understand the value associated with certain brand backs.

So there are probably others out there. It’s just not surprising that as people wake up to the importance of the back that more will come to market.

bobbyw8469
04-24-2018, 06:51 AM
Wonder how much Just Collect paid him for it?

murphy8276
04-24-2018, 08:47 AM
Wonder how much Just Collect paid him for it?

He had a decent collection of t206 along with this card and many others from odd ball and other sets I believe so the offer was on everything. He had multiple offers Just Collect said on the youtube video and they won based on theirs being the highest offer.

Paul S
04-24-2018, 09:13 AM
Ironic...it's turning out to be a lot more common than many real t206 cobbs!
Move along, move along. Nothing to see here.

Sean
04-24-2018, 10:04 AM
T206 Cobb with red background is an extremely common card.

Most people probably don’t realize the importance of the advertising back.

You have to consider that only very informed collectors understand the value associated with certain brand backs.

So there are probably others out there. It’s just not surprising that as people wake up to the importance of the back that more will come to market.

True, we just saw a Broadleaf 460 Cobb come to market in the last two months.

BeanTown
04-24-2018, 10:18 AM
Because when it involves big money like that nothing surprises me anymore. I’m not saying I believe there is a hidden twist of a connection between the original lucky 7 and this new one but if it was revealed with certainty I wouldn’t be shocked. If they had really found 30 or 40 of them do you think it would of been made public?

The same owner of the first find had another find as I recall. I think he found another one in the same house. So, these cards were spread throughout the house and kept in different places within the house. Have to agree, no surprise if the find was much bigger than reported.

ullmandds
04-24-2018, 10:32 AM
I just got my ticket! Going to Joisey this weekend to find mine!!!

haha...I know I lived there 20 years! "Are you from Joisey...I'm from Joisey!"

pokerplyr80
04-24-2018, 10:51 AM

It doesn't take a conspiracy nut to realize that what's reported is often not the truth, or at least not the whole truth. Many people are less than forthcoming when large sums of money are involved.

CobbSpikedMe
04-24-2018, 06:44 PM

Nobody here actually says Joisey. Just putting that out there. :)

Aquarian Sports Cards
04-24-2018, 06:57 PM
And Tom Keane was the only person who ever said Noo Juhsey

Sean
04-24-2018, 06:58 PM
Nobody here actually says Joisey. Just putting that out there. :)

Andy, really? Next you're going to tell me that Jersey Shore wasn't a documentary. :mad:

Republicaninmass
04-24-2018, 07:04 PM

haha...I know I lived there 20 years! "Are you from Joisey...I'm from Joisey!"

Really, what exit? ;)

ullmandds
04-24-2018, 07:12 PM
really, what exit? ;)

exactly!!!

CobbSpikedMe
04-24-2018, 07:24 PM
Really, what exit? ;)

Yes, what exit is a thing. But Joisey isn't. At least in my 30 plus years I've never heard it here. Maybe in south Jersey (I don't spend much time down there) or Bayonne. it's a whole different world in Bayonne.

AndyH

ullmandds
04-24-2018, 07:33 PM
I think it started and evolved from this:

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/overexposed-characters/n8906

Aquarian Sports Cards
04-24-2018, 08:11 PM
funny but Joisey is more like how a denizen of Brooklyn would've said it back in the day. Think "Oisk"

Stampsfan
04-25-2018, 12:01 AM
The same owner of the first find had another find as I recall. I think he found another one in the same house. So, these cards were spread throughout the house and kept in different places within the house. Have to agree, no surprise if the find was much bigger than reported.

It must be a really big house, if it takes that long to get through each room.

basesareempty
04-25-2018, 05:45 AM
If they do have 30-40 of them they are dispersing them exactly as they should to maximize their profits. Reveal a find of 7 to generate a buzz about a find then slowly trickle them out 1 at a time. They have no obligation to the hobby to reveal what they have in their possession.

BeanTown
04-25-2018, 12:23 PM
If they do have 30-40 of them they are dispersing them exactly as they should to maximize their profits. Reveal a find of 7 to generate a buzz about a find then slowly trickle them out 1 at a time. They have no obligation to the hobby to reveal what they have in their possession.

BINGO!! These finds happen all the time on different rare cards. Two years ago it was the Bresnahan Bregstone PC find which was not disclosed to how many. We just kept seeing them pop up in Heritage auctions for two years.