PDA

View Full Version : New Find of Documents from family of Walter Mails Game Founder

Cozumeleno
04-23-2018, 03:16 PM
I recently had the pleasure of talking with the granddaughter of George Groves, the founder of the 1920s Walter Mails game cards (WG7). One thing led to another and before I knew it, she had provided all sorts of fascinating documents related to not only that set but a planned second set that never happened.

Some of the most fascinating documents were signed player releases for players consenting to be in the second set, with one being Honus Wagner. Groves' notes also included all sorts of facts about distribution, plans to use Walter Johnson as a spokesperson, a card design for a new set, and soliciting companies like Topps to help him. It won't be of interest to everyone but hopefully a few get something out of it.

It's a long read with more than 3,000 words (https://prewarcards.com/2018/04/23/the-long-twisted-story-of-the-1924-walter-mails-game-cards/) but I figured a few of you here that are familiar with the set might be interested to read about it.

FourStrikes
04-23-2018, 03:59 PM
interesting, historical info posted above...thanks.

have a near set (50ish cards) buried somewhere in the collection, more than
likely minus the original box, but I'm inclined to eventually buy a few individual
cards down the road to complete prior to keeping/selling/consigning complete set
to an auction house at some point...

thanks for posting!

Jason
04-23-2018, 04:05 PM
I knew nohing about the set before this post. Read the article and found it informative and entertaining. Thanks for writing it.

swarmee
04-23-2018, 04:54 PM
I like it; nice discussion.

ValKehl
04-23-2018, 08:10 PM
Good read, but I am surprised there is no mention of the blue-back cards vs. the red-back cards.

Cozumeleno
04-23-2018, 10:12 PM
Unfortunately there's no mention because nothing was found and the two backs remain a mystery. That is one of the things I am interested in (seeing if the family could identify why there are two types). But their digging did not result in anything so far. If anything is found, though, it will be added.

Good read, but I am surprised there is no mention of the blue-back cards vs. the red-back cards.