PDA

View Full Version : Good T206 Reprints

ronniehatesjazz
04-20-2018, 05:34 PM
Saw this on eBay. Looks much better than other T206 reprints I've seen. Something still looks off about it but it definitely looks more authentic than most reprints I've seen. What are your guys thoughts? Are we getting to a point where you almost have to never buy raw cards online?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-T206-JOHNNY-EVERS-Drum-Cigarettes-back-Chicago-Cubs-RP-read/222924307523?_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC. MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D44039%26meid%3D8876732ed08147 44a591ac7e2e2e3df9%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3 D2%26sd%3D382436625333%26itm%3D222924307523&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982

ronniehatesjazz
04-20-2018, 05:35 PM
BTW, this is not a knock on the seller who made it very clear that this is a reprint.

frankbmd
04-20-2018, 05:39 PM
Saving “hundreds of thousands of dollars” on the card should be appealing to more than a few.

T206Collector
04-20-2018, 06:17 PM
This one has the dot matrix printing, which is so difficult to reproduce. If the color was a bit better, it would be very convincing. Online, I think you’d be smart to stick with graded cards. In person, I would guess other things would look off about it.

tiger8mush
04-20-2018, 06:49 PM
wow, pretty impressive.

53Browns
04-20-2018, 08:05 PM
Yes impressive, but reprints are still the spawn of hell. But at least he was forthcoming.

Have I mentioned how much i loathe ALL reprints? :D

GasHouseGang
04-21-2018, 12:05 AM
The only "good" reprint is one that clearly has the word "reprint" stamped on it or is printed in some way that makes it clear it isn't an original.

Tabe
04-21-2018, 04:29 AM
Yes impressive, but reprints are still the spawn of hell. But at least he was forthcoming.

Have I mentioned how much i loathe ALL reprints? :D
The seller might be forthcoming but it's pretty clear who his target audience is.

I don't mind reprints so long as it's clear that's what they are.

steve B
04-22-2018, 08:39 PM
This one has the dot matrix printing, which is so difficult to reproduce. If the color was a bit better, it would be very convincing. Online, I think you’d be smart to stick with graded cards. In person, I would guess other things would look off about it.

It has a modern pattern from a computer printer. Not the sort of mixed halftone /solid colors of an original.

I'm still ok with buying non- graded on Ebay.

Buythatcard
04-22-2018, 08:54 PM
The only good reprint is one that is burning in my fireplace.

Leon
04-23-2018, 07:18 AM
The only good reprint is one that is burning in my fireplace.

+1 They have certainly caused a lot of financial hardship for unsuspecting collectors. I used to think reprints were ok but I dunno anymore....I guess if they are very clearly marked it's ok but the vast majority don't seem to be marked reprint anywhere on them.

Pat R
04-23-2018, 01:13 PM
I don't have a problem with the seller because he stated in several places
including the title that it is a reprint/fantasy card but I do have a problem
with it not having reprint on it somewhere. Even though most T206
collectors know this Evers pose wasn't printed with any 350 backs
let alone a Drum back some novice collectors could be fooled by
a card like this.

As for the card itself it's better than some of the reprints/fakes
but anyone that can't tell it's a fake should probably stick to
graded cards or a seller you trust until you get a better feel
for spotting the fakes.

Aquarian Sports Cards
04-23-2018, 01:48 PM
It's an argument I make a LOT. Most of what is being sold as reprints are actually counterfeits. CCC did reprints, Renata Galasso did reprints, someone with their home computer is making counterfeits, and even those who sell them "responsibly" like the seller in question at the beginning of this thread is counting on unscrupulous buyers who are buying with the intent to defraud somewhere down the line.

Pat R
04-23-2018, 02:45 PM
It's an argument I make a LOT. Most of what is being sold as reprints are actually counterfeits. CCC did reprints, Renata Galasso did reprints, someone with their home computer is making counterfeits, and even those who sell them "responsibly" like the seller in question at the beginning of this thread is counting on unscrupulous buyers who are buying with the intent to defraud somewhere down the line.

I know you do Scott and I agree with you 100%.

Aquarian Sports Cards
04-23-2018, 04:11 PM
Thanks Pat. Actually teaching a class of future auctioneers on this very topic on Wednesday.

Buythatcard
04-23-2018, 04:28 PM

Scott,

You bring up a good point. Most of these so called reprints are actually counterfeits.

eBay has a written policy on replicas/fakes: Check the following link:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/replica-counterfeit.html

It states:

Counterfeits, unauthorized replicas, unauthorized items (such as counterfeit watches, handbags, or other accessories) or unauthorized copies (such as copies of software programs, video games, music albums, movies, television programs, or photographs) are not permitted on eBay. Unauthorized copies include (but are not limited to) copies that are pirated, duplicated, backed-up or bootlegged. It is illegal to sell unauthorized copies of media.

So, shouldn't these listings that are selling reprints (counterfeits) be pulled by eBay?

Aquarian Sports Cards
04-23-2018, 05:35 PM
They would be if the trademark and copyright holders would enforce their property. Try and sell a fake Tiffany bracelet or Coach handbag and see how long your listing remains up. I have actually approached Topps about this issue as I have a friend who works with them through another firm. Apparently they don't care about the issue which I feel is very short-sighted. Tiffany and Coach don't profit from secondary market sales either, but they still see the value in protecting their intellectual property. If enough buyers get ripped off and leave the hobby for good, it may well affect sales of packs of brand new cards! It's why I religiously report counterfeits masquerading as reprints, not because it directly hurts me, but if it's bad for the hobby, it's bad for me on some level.

steve B
04-24-2018, 09:15 AM
That's fine for newer stuff, but T206s being pre 1923 are public domain now.
Each players estate might have some claim, but for most that's a lot of work for very little.

Aquarian Sports Cards
04-24-2018, 10:51 AM
still not legal to counterfeit something just because it's in the public domain. Can't go making a first edition Dracula copy and selling it as original just because it is in the public domain. You can reprint it though.

steve B
04-24-2018, 01:35 PM
And that's all in the presentation. If it's called a reprint, and even better is marked, it's ok (Ish, I'm not a fan of reprints in general)
If it's held out as original, then yeah, that's not even close to legal.

A fantasy card is a weird one, something that never existed can't really be counterfeited. If it's presented as an original new discovery, then it's more fraud than anything else.