PDA

View Full Version : I'm Calling BS on...

clydepepper
04-02-2018, 03:03 PM
The Twins' players being upset at Orioles catcher bunting for a hit against the extreme shift being employed against him with one out in the ninth inning of yesterday's game the Twins were leading 7-0.

IMO

I applaud any player who figures out that they will have more success going against shifts, instead of trying to hit through or over them.

Teams using such extreme shifts need to accept what comes with using them....and quit crying about it.

BearBailey
04-02-2018, 03:06 PM
Agreed. Dozier should get ready for some chin music next time they play.

packs
04-02-2018, 03:16 PM
I agree completely. You know what would have prevented the batter from bunting? Not shifting.

pokerplyr80
04-02-2018, 03:27 PM
Yeah if anyone is guilty of violating the sacred unwritten rules it's the manager who ordered the shift up 7-0 in the 9th.

Peter_Spaeth
04-02-2018, 03:46 PM
I don't have a problem with either. The game isn't over until the last out.

yanksfan09
04-02-2018, 06:19 PM
I agree, weak move on Dozier to call out a young rookie over such a dumb issue. Seems to me its a bigger no-no to do a shift like that when up by 7-0, as has been pointed out. Why not play the kid straight up? I hate seeing these extreme shifts all the time to begin with and love seeing any hitter make an opposing team pay when they beat the shift (unless they're playing the Yankees ;)).

It's a hitters job to try and get a hit or get on base anytime they're up to bat. Both for the teams sake and themselves (he's a rookie trying to stay up in the big leagues!) Giving away an at bat to make Dozier happy isn't going to help him stick!

Jason
04-02-2018, 06:24 PM
Yeah the Twins beef is totally unnecessary. I would put the bunt sign on everytime to beat the shift if the situation warranted it.

Hxcmilkshake
04-02-2018, 06:27 PM
The Twins' players being upset at Orioles catcher bunting for a hit against the extreme shift being employed against him with one out in the ninth inning of yesterday's game the Twins were leading 7-0.

IMO

I applaud any player who figures out that they will have more success going against shifts, instead of trying to hit through or over them.

Teams using such extreme shifts need to accept what comes with using them....and quit crying about it.
.Agree! Its ok to shift with a 7 run lead but not ok to bunt against it???

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Snapolit1
04-02-2018, 07:07 PM
I'm not sure I can think of more than one "unwritten rule" in baseball that is not utter nonsense. Usually unwritten because they are too damm stupid to write down.

gopherfan
04-03-2018, 10:47 AM
As a big Twins fan, I agree with all of you guys. I also think not bunting to break up a no-hitter is stupid. Byron Buxton is fast as hell, and he hits like crap most of the times. Lay down a bunt and get on and move around the bases. Stupid to whine about people playing the game.

D. Bergin
04-03-2018, 03:37 PM
This is a case of a story becoming a bigger story then it actually is, simply because it's so absurd.

One guy on a roster of 24+ guys gives a throwaway comment, and it's front page National news. It's also the perfect type of story to automatically get Millions of clicks and thousands of "outraged" fans "sick of these pampered athletes" to post on various message boards.

Silly comment by Dozier, but that's all this really is, a silly story.

Back in the day both Dozier (if the other team caught wind he complained) AND Sisco would have gotten plunked the next time they played, and the only thing that would have been in the paper would be "Orioles Win 4-3" followed by a box score and a simple writeup of the game.

Front page on ESPN right now is "Kenley Jansen says 'who cares'". I say, exactly!

baseballfan
04-06-2018, 08:49 AM
I agree, don't put a shift on then with 1 out in the ninth. I wish more people would bunt against that shift its the smart play