PDA

View Full Version : Restoration

CrackaJackKid
03-26-2018, 05:45 PM
Might be a stretch but does Anyone know of someone who does any type of restorations to prewar cards? Not for the purpose of trying to deceive someone in resell but just to bring something halfway back to life.

Peter_Spaeth
03-26-2018, 05:57 PM
Mastro was a client if memory serves.

http://www.graphicconservation.com/services/

GasHouseGang
03-26-2018, 06:01 PM
This ought to be good...

T205 GB
03-26-2018, 06:04 PM
mastro was a client if memory serves.

http://www.graphicconservation.com/services/

lmao:d

bnorth
03-26-2018, 06:05 PM
There is also Dick Towle, he is/was a member. Not sure if he was banned or not.

Peter_Spaeth
03-26-2018, 06:18 PM
http://www.restorationbyjm.com/

I am sure your intent is pure, but it's a delicate topic as I am sure you anticipated.

CrackaJackKid
03-26-2018, 06:29 PM
Completely pure. As I stated above, “not for deceiving someone in resell”. I understand there’s a fine line as I am on the right side of it on this one.

PowderedH2O
03-27-2018, 10:42 AM
It is so strange. I also collect comic books, and in comics, restoration happens often and items that have disclosed restoration are bought and sold regularly. Comics with writing or marks? No problem. Send a card to psa with a mark only a microscope could detect and you have a deduction.

If this guy wants to restore his card, then so be it. I have seen some cards that were in such wretched condition that I couldn't stand to look at them, but if they were cleaned up a bit, I might be a buyer. I don't want my hobby to be like coins. I want to enjoy it and not be so worried about every little thing. As long as the restoration is noted, go for it.

Peter_Spaeth
03-27-2018, 10:46 AM
The problem with these services is that many people use them for deceptive work, and the people performing the services surely know this. I would guess that that's where most of their submissions come from. It would be something to see their client lists.

iowadoc77
03-27-2018, 10:49 AM
The problem with these services is that many people use them for deceptive work, and the people performing the services surely know this. I would guess that that's where most of their submissions come from. It would be something to see their client lists.

Totally agreed. I understand that the op has different motives, but people who are good at restoration could really change the hobby (and maybe already have)

Peter_Spaeth
03-27-2018, 11:05 AM
Totally agreed. I understand that the op has different motives, but people who are good at restoration could really change the hobby (and maybe already have)

Nah, as long as their work is neutralized by the slab, not that many people seem to care.

Yoda
03-27-2018, 11:09 AM
There was a guy out in LA who ran a company called Rags to Riches. He was very active in the 90's and purportedly did very fine work. I have no idea if he is still active or not.

Peter_Spaeth
03-27-2018, 11:18 AM
There was a guy out in LA who ran a company called Rags to Riches. He was very active in the 90's and purportedly did very fine work. I have no idea if he is still active or not.

Was that Desmond?

Gobucsmagic74
03-27-2018, 11:29 AM
Might be a stretch but does Anyone know of someone who does any type of restorations to prewar cards? Not for the purpose of trying to deceive someone in resell but just to bring something halfway back to life.

Does this have anything to do with your 1914 CJ Cobb? Just curious

Yoda
03-27-2018, 11:33 AM
Was that Desmond?

Peter, he is/was a Desmond and not the Bishop Tutu.

CrackaJackKid
03-27-2018, 11:35 AM
Does this have anything to do with your 1914 CJ Cobb? Just curious

Not in anyway shape or form does this pertain to my Cobb.

Peter_Spaeth
03-27-2018, 11:38 AM
Peter, he is/was a Desmond and not the Bishop Tutu.

I don't think he is still active although he has surfaced on ebay from time to time. In the day, he was the go to guy. VCBC 7 featured him and is mandatory reading even though now two decades old.

Eric72
03-27-2018, 11:53 AM
I don't think he is still active although he has surfaced on ebay from time to time. In the day, he was the go to guy. VCBC 7 featured him and is mandatory reading even though now two decades old.

By any chance, do you have a link to the article?

Peter_Spaeth
03-27-2018, 12:26 PM
By any chance, do you have a link to the article?

Pre internet, sorry. 1996 or so.

toledo_mudhen
03-28-2018, 06:00 AM
Pre Internet???? How did people communicate way back then - OMG :eek:

Leon
03-28-2018, 06:11 AM

He is very active.

Shoeless Moe
03-28-2018, 10:12 AM

like this....

Peter_Spaeth
03-28-2018, 10:15 AM
He is very active.

I meant that he wasn't still active in the sense of doing work for dealers etc. Am I wrong about that?

Jantz
03-28-2018, 12:30 PM

Telegraph

Telephone

Telewoman

Just a joke ladies...:)

Jantz
03-28-2018, 12:39 PM
It is so strange. I also collect comic books, and in comics, restoration happens often and items that have disclosed restoration are bought and sold regularly. Comics with writing or marks? No problem. Send a card to psa with a mark only a microscope could detect and you have a deduction.

I can relate to your comment as well. Restoration is a strange animal. I recently picked up a French Cavalry saber/sword from the 1800s. Seeking opinions from others whether or not to have it professionally restored and the results were split down the middle. Half said not to touch it, the other half said to have it restored.

So unlike cards.

Eric72
03-28-2018, 01:39 PM
...split down the middle....

I see what you did there.