PDA

View Full Version : Christies auction partner thread

Jason19th
03-24-2018, 10:03 AM
Due to the size of some of the lots in the christies auction I thought that a partner thread would be helpful

Personally I am looking for two or three partners for the lot of 40 score cards from the 1937 Dominican season featuring the Trujillo team. I would like a couple of partners who would like to split up the originals and get everyone high quality scans of rest

Also if anyone is going after the contract lot - I am very interested in the Pedro cepeda contract

Thanks
Jason

Please use for you partner requests

Topnotchsy
03-24-2018, 07:19 PM
Due to the size of some of the lots in the christies auction I thought that a partner thread would be helpful

Personally I am looking for two or three partners for the lot of 40 score cards from the 1937 Dominican season featuring the Trujillo team. I would like a couple of partners who would like to split up the originals and get everyone high quality scans of rest

Also if anyone is going after the contract lot - I am very interested in the Pedro cepeda contract

Thanks
Jason

Just an FYI: I have a Pedro Cepeda contract that’s in the upcoming REA auction if you don’t want to have to deal with paying for the whole lot..

RedsFan1941
03-24-2018, 07:25 PM
and if you don't want to deal with a crazy shipping charge

tlwise12
03-25-2018, 02:03 AM
A different question....

Does anyone know how to get more images of the lots? Wouldn't mind seeing more images of the photo lots, but only a few are pictured?

Thought about contacting them, but was curious if anyone else had

Thanks
Travis

calvindog
03-25-2018, 06:16 PM
I emailed them a week ago asking for more scans; received an email back a few days later that they were working on it. I'm sure one of these days...

Jason19th
03-25-2018, 07:04 PM
and if you don't want to deal with a crazy shipping charge

I was trying to remember if they were the AH that had shipping prices that could have paid for the cards to be delivered via unicorn

RedsFan1941
03-25-2018, 08:14 PM
that was them.

earlywynnfan
03-26-2018, 09:34 AM

Thanks
Jason

There are several lesser contracts in that lot I'd be interested in.

Ken

whitey19thcentury
03-27-2018, 08:52 PM
Never ceases to amaze the quality of items in the majority of the lots. Most auction houses would list the items individually.

jhs5120
03-27-2018, 09:31 PM
A fun idea - what if we went in on one of the lots and did a snake-draft?

For example, 5-10 members go in on one of the Conlon lots like this one (https://onlineonly.christies.com/s/golden-age-baseball/charles-conlon-photograph-collection-67/54009) and then have a snake draft to pick which photos we want from the group. So, using the linked lot as an example, lets say the hammer price (with BP) is $7,000 - 10 members go in for $700 and then everyone gets 5 photos. Someone will be responsible for scanning the front/back of each photo. Then we set a draft order and start picking.

Bicem
03-28-2018, 12:00 AM
That would actually be a lot of fun. Fantasy league style collecting.

whitey19thcentury
03-28-2018, 01:42 PM
I'd be interested in any Pirates photos. Anyone going to be bidding on the team photos lots?

Bpm0014
03-28-2018, 01:45 PM
For example, 5-10 members go in on one of the Conlon lots like this one and then have a snake draft to pick which photos we want from the group. So, using the linked lot as an example, lets say the hammer price (with BP) is $7,000 - 10 members go in for $700 and then everyone gets 5 photos. Someone will be responsible for scanning the front/back of each photo. Then we set a draft order and start picking.

Count me in for that

TCMA
03-28-2018, 02:13 PM
Dozens of photos in each lot, with only five preview images? How do they expect people to pay their estimates of $5k - $10k without being able to view what we're getting? Crazy.

Jason19th
03-28-2018, 02:31 PM
Dozens of photos in each lot, with only five preview images? How do they expect people to pay their estimates of $5k - $10k without being able to view what we're getting? Crazy.

That could lead to some steals - or at least steals until the buyer realizes that they just bought 76 type 3's printed on cheap paper in the 1970's

earlywynnfan
04-03-2018, 02:29 PM

Thanks
Jason

PM sent

the-illini
04-04-2018, 10:07 AM
If anyone on here wins lot 53, I would be interested in the Red Faber photo.

Thanks

Chris

packs
04-04-2018, 10:12 AM
I requested front and back scans from Christies for a lot and received them within minutes. I suggest you ask if you want to see. They'll show you what you're bidding on.

Bicem
04-05-2018, 12:06 PM
Any day one wins?

packs
04-05-2018, 12:11 PM
My God, I was after that postcard lot with the Cobb. Can't believe it went for $5K. They sent me the photos of the other RPPCs and while the Chase is cool and an action shot of him sliding, the others were all commons. I don't see that kind of cash in that lot but maybe I underestimated the Cobb value.

TCMA
04-05-2018, 12:19 PM
My God, I was after that postcard lot with the Cobb. Can't believe it went for $5K. They sent me the photos of the other RPPCs and while the Chase is cool and an action shot of him sliding, the others were all commons. I don't see that kind of cash in that lot but maybe I underestimated the Cobb value.

I won the Giants lots with a 1951 Bowman Monte Irvin photo, among other gems. Also, the mixed lot with photogs shooting the 1917 White Sox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

btcarfagno
04-05-2018, 12:23 PM
I got two of the Thompson photo lots (including the one with 9 (!!!!!!!!) T205 images plus the most expensive Conlon lot. Many will be available soon...

btcarfagno
04-05-2018, 12:26 PM

I saw that. I was interested until it eclipsed $2,000. That Cobb is awesome but is really beat up, and like you said, the rest of the lot is cool but value-wise kind of meh.

GoCubsGo32
04-05-2018, 12:28 PM
I thought Lot 108 and Lot 91 went for a fair price. I wanted to bid on them but, with these major AH's, I was afraid of shipping charges and extras on top. So anyone who won those lots...and considering a breakup for profit...let me know.

Their staff at Christie's was great. I asked for additional photos and received them in a very timely manner. In addition, me personally...I actually think their style of doing an auction is the best.

I'm hoping someone on here won the bigger photos lots and gonna pieced them out for sale.

btcarfagno
04-05-2018, 12:30 PM
I thought Lot 108 and Lot 91 went for a fair price. I wanted to bid on them but, with these major AH's, I was afraid of shipping charges and extras on top. So anyone who won those lots...and considering a breakup for profit...let me know.

Their staff at Christie's was great. I asked for actually photos and received them in a very timely manner. In addition, me personally...I actually think their style of doing an auction is the best.

I'm hoping someone on here won the bigger lot and gonna pieced them out for sale.

I had bids on both but wasn't willing to go higher. 108 was mostly personal photos of the players out of uniform it seemed.

packs
04-05-2018, 12:34 PM
I saw that. I was interested until it eclipsed $2,000. That Cobb is awesome but is really beat up, and like you said, the rest of the lot is cool but value-wise kind of meh.

Whoever won it really wanted it for that price, so good for them.

btcarfagno
04-05-2018, 12:37 PM
Whoever won it really wanted it for that price, so good for them.

Indeed. The Cobb has to be unique I would think, and is an action shot from the front. I remember an RPPC with a kind of far away image of him sliding into home went for something around $2,300 or so. It's a great game action shot of him for sure.

Bicem
04-05-2018, 12:51 PM
I got two of the Thompson photo lots (including the one with 9 (!!!!!!!!) T205 images plus the most expensive Conlon lot. Many will be available soon...

Wow! Congrats!

Probably a good time as any to remind everyone that Love of the Game is actively seeking photo consignments for the next auction. :D

bobfreedman
04-05-2018, 01:41 PM
I won the Christy Mathewson Tuxedo Box and the 1917 Chicago White Sox photo (I will be selling this photo)

btcarfagno
04-05-2018, 01:43 PM
I won the Christy Mathewson Tuxedo Box and the 1917 Chicago White Sox photo

Love that box. Don't think I have seen a complete one before.

whitey19thcentury
04-05-2018, 01:47 PM
Due to work and my phone acting up, I was unable to place final bids on a few lots, but I did win the early Dihigo team snapshot and the Coveleski photo album. There were some sleepers in there!

Snapolit1
04-05-2018, 02:25 PM
Love that box. Don't think I have seen a complete one before.

Those are awesome. A lot of good stuff.

(*Cue the soundtrack about Christie's exorbitant shipping charges.)

TCMA
04-05-2018, 02:39 PM
One of my winnings:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/812/41260925431_774ebebe69_c.jpg

Snapolit1
04-05-2018, 02:40 PM
One of my winnings:

Amazing. Wow. Love the shots of the photographers on the field talking their pictures. That's a museum piece.

TCMA
04-05-2018, 02:44 PM
Amazing. Wow. Love the shots of the photographers on the field talking their pictures. That's a museum piece.

Absolutely. I browsed the lots in person on Tuesday and the image is beautiful. Scan doesn't do it justice. Definitely a hidden gem among what was sold. I have to think that it was overlooked by a lot of people as it was one of the secondary preview images in lot 90, which was just kind of a mix.

Snapolit1
04-05-2018, 02:52 PM
Absolutely. I browsed the lots in person on Tuesday and the image is beautiful. Scan doesn't do it justice. Definitely a hidden gem among what was sold. I have to think that it was overlooked by a lot of people as it was one of the secondary preview images in lot 90, which was just kind of a mix.

Christies is always a crap shoot. The people there who manage these auctions honestly don't know much about collecting baseball stuff. Sometimes they talk something up that is not so great; sometimes they flat out misdescribe items that are far more important than what's advertised, and other times they just botch it up completely and don't even attempt to adequate describe the lot.

I remember last year there were photos that were in original cabinets that were not even photographed.

I bought a lot of 50 Conlons today. I hope there are a few surprises hiding in there to.

Nice catch.

packs
04-05-2018, 02:57 PM
Looks like maybe Gandil on the top step with his back to the cameras?

TCMA
04-05-2018, 03:01 PM
Looks like maybe Gandil on the top step with his back to the cameras?

I've been trying to ID the players but not enough of their faces are shown. Definitely Eddie Murphy being photographed and you might be right about Gandil. I'd say Buck Weaver looking to the left without his hat. Maybe Joe Jackson next to him?

Shoeless Moe
04-05-2018, 03:50 PM
The ones I can make out....

Bicem
04-05-2018, 06:05 PM
Great photo, congrats!

Will be interesting to see what else you uncover in that lot.

pherbener
04-05-2018, 06:56 PM
One of my winnings:

Love that photo Andrew! I got crazy at work and missed out on the lots I was bidding on... Oh well..

whitey19thcentury
04-06-2018, 10:16 AM
How about the Day 2 bidding? If we weren't in the process of building a house, I would've bid on that Clarke archive. What a lot! I would love to sift through it.
Anyways, I wasn't the high bidder on the documents lots, one of which I regret not getting, but I did get the Rafael Almeida lot, the Puerto Rican league calendar, and the Wilmer Fields collection marathon.

btcarfagno
04-06-2018, 10:21 AM
How about the Day 2 bidding? If we weren't in the process of building a house, I would've bid on that Clarke archive. What a lot! I would love to sift through it.
Anyways, I wasn't the high bidder on the documents lots, one of which I regret not getting, but I did get the Rafael Almeida lot, the Puerto Rican league calendar, and the Wilmer Fields collection marathon.

You got some nice stuff!!

That Clarke lot is going to depress the price of Barney Dreyfuss autographs I think. That is like 70 new examples. Might double the known amount.

tazdmb
04-06-2018, 10:25 AM
I purchased the Dihigo signed photo, even though I have a nice letter already and hooked up a board member with the Pompez signed letter.

TakingStock
04-06-2018, 10:36 AM

If you're interested in selling one of the many Fields checks in that lot, please let me know :)

whitey19thcentury
04-06-2018, 11:00 AM
You got some nice stuff!!

That Clarke lot is going to depress the price of Barney Dreyfuss autographs I think. That is like 70 new examples. Might double the known amount.

Thanks....i thought that the calendar was way underpriced and it was a buy to immediately flip.

As for the plethora of Barney letters... I know! That's a good thing. Although, this past year I have seen a few non "recycled" Dreyfuss letters pop up. I am looking for a nice handwritten letter on the letterhead with Forbes Field at the top.

scooter729
04-06-2018, 11:49 AM
I got shut out, and thought I had strong bids on a few items.

Amazes me how little they seem to know about some of these lots. The baseball game with the 16 Horner T206 images on the cover didn't even show the outside of the box in the pictures; just the inside! There are two versions of the game - one worth several hundred and one worth several thousand. Anyone looking at the pictures would assume it was the less expensive version, without the player images. I asked for and received pictures and the player images looked very nice, but I imagine others did as well, since it sold for $3K. But it could've been a costly mistake if at least two people didn't check the description closely!

Snapolit1
04-06-2018, 12:28 PM
This was the third and last sale of that closed museum (maybe never open?) stuff. Felt like a yard sale. You want a glass? Take this box of 20 off my hands. Can't believe they were selling stacks of photos and letters without even describing much of it.

I am sure there is little that go unnoticed at the end of the day, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are some nice surprises lurking. Probably some disappointments as well.

tazdmb
04-06-2018, 12:29 PM
This was the third and last sale of that closed museum (maybe never open?) stuff. Felt like a yard sale. You want a glass? Take this box of 20 off my hands. Can't believe they were selling stacks of phots and letter without even describing much of it.

I believe the museum was online only.

Snapolit1
04-06-2018, 12:35 PM
I believe the museum was online only.

Forget the story. Did someone die? Or go broke? A lot of baseball history there.

sphere and ash
04-06-2018, 01:07 PM
If anyone won lot 72 (Conlons), please DM me. Thanks

Fred
04-06-2018, 01:35 PM
Lot 20 - Cabinets.

The Tiernan Hall cabinet (N338 image) was sold in a Heritage auction for over $7K about a dozen years ago. It ends up in this auction and sells for less than 33% of the Heritage final hammer and this lot had an N566 and two other cabinets with it. Someone take a huge bath on this?

If anyone picked up Lot 132 (19th C letters) and wants to sell anything, please let me know.

tazdmb
04-06-2018, 01:48 PM
Original Museum:

https://www.thenationalpastimemuseum.com/

whitey19thcentury
04-06-2018, 02:58 PM
This was the third and last sale of that closed museum (maybe never open?) stuff. Felt like a yard sale. You want a glass? Take this box of 20 off my hands. Can't believe they were selling stacks of photos and letters without even describing much of it.

I am sure there is little that go unnoticed at the end of the day, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are some nice surprises lurking. Probably some disappointments as well.

I know...it was amazing. Like I said in an earlier post, right now I really can't buy much for business (or myself) due to our house being built. If it wasn't for the house, I would've been a lot more aggressive in the photos and documents. I did manage to land 3 or 4 lots on both days. I am especially eager to root through the Coveleski scrapbook and Wilmer Fields collection. I did not request photos on either lot and placed my bids on what was described and what I saw. I am intrigued by who the letters are from in the Fields lot.

chlankf
04-06-2018, 03:33 PM
I was recently the under bidder on an item in the recent Christie's Auction. The item was an 1867 baseball challenge letter from Keokuk Iowa. I'm hoping that someone on this board was the winner of this item and if so can they please contact me?

Would also love to hear how everyone else came out in this auction.

Have a great one,
Craig

Vintagecatcher
04-06-2018, 07:25 PM
If anyone was fortunate enough to win Lot 66, I'd be very interested in purchasing the Chief Meyers photo in that lot.

Thanks,

Patrick McMenemy
a.k.a vintagecatcher

MVSNYC
04-06-2018, 09:23 PM
It’s a shame to use my 2000th post on such a dumb thing, but oh well.

I was high bidder on a (very cool) item in Christie’s Auction, as of 4 hours prior to closing today...I had my settings set to notify me if outbid...ok cool, no issues, right?

Well, at 11:15am I get an email from them that the lot closed and I lost it to a higher bid...but I never got an outbid notification! I would’ve certainly gone higher. So I called and spoke to someone who sounded less than knowledgeable about their auction process, so they put me on hold...They came back after a few mins to say that it was an IT glitch and they were sorry. They said they'll ask to see how this can be resolved...clearly the winning bidder isn't giving the item up, so just a real unfortunate event. And I really wanted the item, too.

aljurgela
04-06-2018, 09:55 PM
Quite a few lots. Love the Mexican broadsides and the DiHigo Lot as well as the nice Dihigo photo and the lot with the Gibson photos. Would have loved the Trujillo broadside and the lot with the Kellogg’s postcards (especially the Lazaro Salazar) and the Mexican album. Pretty happy though. Some of my best bargains of the year.

Bicem
04-07-2018, 12:56 AM
Interesting to see the non-sports Christie's photograph auction that also ended today realize a price 6 times higher than the sports auction on less number of lots.

Our hobby is cheap in comparison.

pherbener
04-07-2018, 06:59 AM
Interesting to see the non-sports Christie's photograph auction that also ended today realize a price 6 times higher than the sports auction on less number of lots.

Our hobby is cheap in comparison.

Apples and oranges Jeff. Mapplethorpe and Ansel Adams photo's et.al. each treated with respect, given their own lot and not randomly thrown together lots with almost no pictures. That being said, I agree, who among us wouldn't like more photo's of a naked woman taking a bath in a basin!:D

earlywynnfan
04-07-2018, 07:06 AM
If anyone here won the contract lot, 149, I'm interested in a few of the lesser ones.

Ken

Kawika
04-07-2018, 10:46 AM
Hope Christies stays out of the baseball business going forward. This was Storage Wars not a proper auction. Probably some amazing items lurking in the dark corners but I found the presentation completely exasperating.

calvindog
04-07-2018, 10:50 AM
Hope Christies stays out of the baseball business going forward. This was Storage Wars not a proper auction. Probably some amazing items lurking in the dark corners but I found the presentation completely exasperating.

Having spent an hour there on Monday looking through the photo lots, what you just said is a vast understatement! I was stunned. Fantastic stuff that was not only not pictured in the lots but not even mentioned in the descriptions.

MVSNYC
04-07-2018, 03:58 PM
As per my previous post, I'm very disappointed in how they operate their auctions (saying I didn't get outbid notice due to an IT glitch is just ridiculous).

Anyway...if whoever won Lot 153 (WALTER O’MALLEY LETTER REGARDING BROOKLYN DODGERS RELOCATION), is a member here, I'd love to chat regarding a possible quick (profitable) flip.

Fred
04-07-2018, 05:54 PM
As a bidder, I like the Christie's auctions because it appears a lot of the material is going cheaper than it would have if it were in an REA or Heritage auction. Not saying the other auction houses are not worthy of mention.

I'll have to remember to treat these auctions like an ebay auction without a snipe program. One thing I do like is that they close the lots at a specific time and will only add 3 minutes each time the bid is topped.

If anyone won the 19th C lot of letters (lot 132), then please let me know if you are going to sell part of it.

RedsFan1941
04-07-2018, 06:19 PM
It’s a shame to use my 2000th post on such a dumb thing, but oh well.

I was high bidder on a (very cool) item in Christie’s Auction, as of 4 hours prior to closing today...I had my settings set to notify me if outbid...ok cool, no issues, right?

Well, at 11:15am I get an email from them that the lot closed and I lost it to a higher bid...but I never got an outbid notification! I would’ve certainly gone higher. So I called and spoke to someone who sounded less than knowledgeable about their auction process, so they put me on hold...They came back after a few mins to say that it was an IT glitch and they were sorry. They said they'll ask to see how this can be resolved...clearly the winning bidder isn't giving the item up, so just a real unfortunate event. And I really wanted the item, too.

i feel for you. about 10 years ago a similar thing happened to a friend of my step-brother on a watch he was bidding on in a fine time pieces and cigar auction held by an auction house in LA. as he got more experience dealing with different auction houses, he became more knowledgeable about which ones he can depend on for things like this. as painful as this is, chalk it up to a learning experience. i hope this has a happy ending for you.

Topnotchsy
04-07-2018, 08:57 PM
Got outbid on 149 & 172. With the Jewish holiday I was offline for the auction and couldn’t bid higher (would have gone stronger on 172).

If anyone here won the 1937 scorecards id love to deal for a couple.

Tom Hufford
04-10-2018, 06:24 PM
I'd be interested in a couple of items from lots 131 and 132, if the winner is interested in letting a few go.