PDA

View Full Version : payment methods at card shows

darwinbulldog
03-19-2018, 02:31 PM
I'm thinking of getting a table at a card show for the first time and am wondering what others would recommend setting up to receive payments. Cash is fine obviously, but I wouldn't prefer that if someone is buying a card for more than a couple hundred dollars. Right now all I have set up is PayPal. I would have stuff for sale from $1 up to about $2000.

Aquarian Sports Cards
03-19-2018, 02:33 PM
square reader is so simple if you have a smart phone. I use it constantly for shows and auctions.

JustinD
03-19-2018, 02:37 PM
square reader is so simple if you have a smart phone. I use it constantly for shows and auctions.

agreed!

A square reader is the difference between only being able to make a sale for the 40 bucks in someones pocket or now opening the door to sell a 2k item to anyone with the credit limit.

Every one should have one.

steve B
03-19-2018, 02:38 PM
I have a friend who has Square, and the makerspace also had it for their retail space. It's pretty impressive, as it's not just a card processor, but has a lot of inventory management stuff that comes with it. You don't have to use that, but it's there. The basic thing works with a phone or tablet, and is a simple card reader. But it can be setup with a lot of optional stuff, a chip reader -Possibly a big plus, barcode scanner - maybe not so useful depending on inventory, There's a tablet stand that's pretty cool, and it also has a variety of cash drawers available.

bigfish
03-19-2018, 02:49 PM
Can I ask why you’re r skittish about taking cash for purchases over 200 at shows?

darwinbulldog
03-19-2018, 02:52 PM
Just prefer not to be robbed and figure it's more likely if there are people around who know I'm carrying hundreds of dollars in cash.

bigfish
03-19-2018, 02:54 PM
Makes sense I guess. There are some unsavory characters in this hobby!!!

joshuanip
03-19-2018, 02:59 PM
Would love to have people accept venmo. Its another form of pp friends and family. But really easy to use.

GasHouseGang
03-19-2018, 03:24 PM
Makes sense I guess. There are some unsavory characters in this hobby!!!

Really? Where? :D

vintagetoppsguy
03-19-2018, 03:52 PM
What prevents chargebacks? What's to keep a buyer from saying that their credit card was stolen and fraudulently used? I've thought about using Square too, but how do you protect yourself as a seller?

chalupacollects
03-19-2018, 04:04 PM
What prevents chargebacks? What's to keep a buyer from saying that their credit card was stolen and fraudulently used? I've thought about using Square too, but how do you protect yourself as a seller?

Typically if a cardholder calls in lost/stolen, the liability falls on the card issuing bank. Cardholder may only get dinged up to $50 by law and merchant has no liability (unless of course they are scamming.) That's a bigger problem if and when caught...

Also the fact that the card is swiped and a signature is obtained on a receipt or pad and now a chip being read help cover the merchant (you should compare signatures to card reader to back of card by the way) All of those help prove that the card was physically in the merchant's hands or at his/her establishment. Lessening any fraud claims...

As for chargebacks card holder has to have a valid reason for it...if its buyers remorse you may wish to refund and take item back if not damaged, swapped out etc...as good customer relations.. If they claim damage on a face to face transaction it is very tough to prove from the cardholders standpoint...Time to institute a chargeback is also limited by most credit cards and varies greatly...

Fear of chargebacks in retail environment are very low on the risk scale as compared to Mail order/phone order/internet sales...same with pin-based debit cards...

Think of it as plus business, you have something a customer wants - make it easy for them to buy it!

vintagetoppsguy
03-19-2018, 04:10 PM
Thank you, sir!

JollyElm
03-19-2018, 05:22 PM
For added protection, assuming you go with something mentioned in this thread, use your phone/camera to record all credit/debit card purchases. As they hold the card(s) in clear view, have each buyer look into the camera and (hopefully happily) say what they are buying and for how much, etc. That would be a nice piece of evidence to have if anyone ever tries to screw you over later. Plus, it would probably act as a deterrent to someone thinking they could pull a fast one on you.

Bpm0014
03-19-2018, 05:30 PM
^^^^ completely agree

Aquarian Sports Cards
03-19-2018, 05:47 PM
For added protection, assuming you go with something mentioned in this thread, use your phone/camera to record all credit/debit card purchases. As they hold the card(s) in clear view, have each buyer look into the camera and (hopefully happily) say what they are buying and for how much, etc. That would be a nice piece of evidence to have if anyone ever tries to screw you over later. Plus, it would probably act as a deterrent to someone thinking they could pull a fast one on you.

Maybe I'm playing with fire but I'd quit the business and go get a job again before I resorted to this.

pokerplyr80
03-19-2018, 05:58 PM

I have never scammed anyone, but there is no way I would agree to do this to make a purchase. I would probably laugh if a dealer asked and just walk away.

Johnny630
03-19-2018, 07:20 PM
Cash Is King.. Always will be.

Big Six
03-19-2018, 07:56 PM
www.Zellepay.com

My company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stampsfan
03-20-2018, 03:17 PM
I have never scammed anyone, but there is no way I would agree to do this to make a purchase. I would probably laugh if a dealer asked and just walk away.

+1. Agreed.

ls7plus
03-20-2018, 05:30 PM
Cash Is King.. Always will be.

+1!

Regards,

Larry

timzcardz
03-21-2018, 06:25 AM
Just prefer not to be robbed and figure it's more likely if there are people around who know I'm carrying hundreds of dollars in cash.

FWIW, "hundreds of dollars of cash" ain't what it used to be! :D

I don't know if I am anywhere near a typical buyer, but based on the complaints from many dealers about how slow business is, I likely have way more cash in my pocket than they do.

I only buy with cash and will have enough money to buy anything that may strike my fancy within reason.

rsdill2
03-21-2018, 07:16 AM
I've set up at shows about 10 times. I have a square reader but never used it at a show. From my experience, everyone brings cash to a show, but the square reader is free so why not have one just so you don't miss a sale.

Snapolit1
03-21-2018, 08:36 AM
Last few shows I attended bigger ticket items were paid by PayPal on the spot.

Seems like everyone is using Venmo these days. (Another very good reason to buy PayPal stock IMHO.)

Aquarian Sports Cards
03-21-2018, 08:41 AM
I use my square every show, I also have credit card placards displayed. I think it definitely attracts buyers to advertise they have options at your booth.

darwinbulldog
03-21-2018, 11:52 AM
Thank you all for the feedback. I'll be set up at the Ft. Lauderdale/Dania show next month if you're in the area.