PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Magazine supplements : 2017 different.

doug.goodman
03-07-2018, 09:44 PM
I'm finally getting a chance to go thru my supplements. In case anybody cares, I now have 957 different m113 and m114 supplements in my collection, here are most of them :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/douggoodman/albums/72157692457124881

Always looking for more...

Doug

ramram
03-07-2018, 10:00 PM
So Doug, I guess that monsterous scorecard collection wasn’t enough for you?

Rob M

doug.goodman
03-07-2018, 10:34 PM
Ha! I still need to scan lots of those, too.

I just added the m113 supplements, and the 1957 posters, and a couple others.

957 different, now.

7 left to scan.

Scott Garner
03-09-2018, 02:51 AM
I'm finally getting a chance to go thru my supplements. In case anybody cares, here are 957 different m113 and m114 supplements that I have in my collection.

Always looking for more...

Doug

Truly an epic collection, Doug! Wow!! :eek::cool:

pherbener
03-09-2018, 04:57 AM
Great stuff Doug!! That WaJo arm and 1915 Matty are two of my favorites!

doug.goodman
03-09-2018, 12:21 PM
Great stuff Doug!! That WaJo arm and 1915 Matty are two of my favorites!

That arm might be my favorite, too.

bigfanNY
03-09-2018, 07:47 PM
A very long time ago I picked up a hard coverd ledger that was used as a scrapbook. Inside was filied with baseball magazine photos taken from the inside covers. Period was mid 1930's full of classic Conlan images. Many of these same pictures were used for the premiums. I have always liked the large format premiums and have a Lajoie framed on my wall. Congrats on a great collection.

doug.goodman
03-09-2018, 08:20 PM
A very long time ago I picked up a hard coverd ledger that was used as a scrapbook. Inside was filied with baseball magazine photos taken from the inside covers. Period was mid 1930's full of classic Conlan images. Many of these same pictures were used for the premiums. I have always liked the large format premiums and have a Lajoie framed on my wall. Congrats on a great collection.

Thank you.

There is another thread titled "Hobby terms that annoy you" on net54, one of the things that annoys me the most, although it doesn't really fit in that thread, is people who sell the inside cover pictures as "supplements".

But what can you do?

Received 4 new ones in the mail today, so up to 961 (which is really 968 once I get 7 more scans done).

Doug

rjackson44
03-10-2018, 06:58 AM
Wow Doug amazing

jason.1969
10-24-2019, 03:14 AM
This is just AMAZING!!! Doug, I had just written an article for the SABR blog connecting the horrid 1943 MP & Company cartoon images to their M114 photo sources. I originally had to leave my article incomplete since I couldn't find a Lou Novikoff M114 anywhere online. On a tip I found your site and of course the Novikoff.

Full article is here in case you're curious: https://sabrbaseballcards.blog/2019/10/23/a-1943-mini-mystery-79-solved/

Hot Springs Bathers
10-24-2019, 06:08 AM
Doug those are amazing. Do you have your scorecards where they can be viewed.

Congratulations on a fantastic collection!

doug.goodman
10-24-2019, 01:07 PM
Doug those are amazing. Do you have your scorecards where they can be viewed.

Congratulations on a fantastic collection!

Thank you Mike & Jason.

Much of my "stuff" is on my flickr site / page / account, or whatever you kidz would call it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/douggoodman/albums/with/72157692457124881

Doug

Hot Springs Bathers
10-28-2019, 02:10 PM
Doug I have been lost in your photos for several days now, thanks for sharing!

doug.goodman
10-28-2019, 07:59 PM
Doug I have been lost in your photos for several days now, thanks for sharing!

Thank you, and you are welcome. I have a few more I need to post that I have recently picked up.

Among them is my newest Speaker M113, the one that isn't trimmed on the top and bottom. The scans make it look like the picture is a different size, which it isn't. Note that the printing under the pictures are different.

Doug

Mark
10-28-2019, 10:20 PM
Wonderful collection. Really great. Stilll, Police Gazette Rules!

doug.goodman
10-29-2019, 10:51 AM
Wonderful collection. Really great. Stilll, Police Gazette Rules!

I have 96 of the 113 Police Gazette supplements...

Scott Garner
10-29-2019, 04:41 PM

LOL Bam, there's that too... :eek::cool:

Mark
10-30-2019, 09:49 AM

Everyone with a collection that this one should show them off now and then.
It's a public service.

Bicem
10-30-2019, 05:03 PM
Insane collection, very impressive Doug!

doug.goodman
10-31-2019, 05:27 PM
Everyone with a collection that this one should show them off now and then.
It's a public service.

As with any collection, the longer you look for new additions, the less frequently you find them, and the more complicated they get to acquire.

There is one on ebay right now that I need, but it's part of a large-ish group that the seller won't breakup and his price is easily double their value. Oh well, I'll keep watching... If any of you buy that group of 30 with the Gehrig, there are 5 that I would like to buy / trade from you.

I did manage to add a new m113 this last week of "Bullet" Joe Bush, note the different print fonts, showing that Bush was printed two different times.

Doug

PS - as a public service (insert smiley face here) you can see my Police Gazette supplements / pages / covers at :
https://www.flickr.com/photos/douggoodman/albums/72157612083822426

AustinMike
11-01-2019, 07:48 AM
Very, very impressive Doug. Although I am a little miffed/thrilled/frustrated/happy/discouraged/excited to see that there are two Mantles and two Yankee team pictures with Mantle. I have one of each and now must look for the other two. Thanks!??!!??

In regards to the Police Gazette, the attached is the only one I have. Do you know if they issued any with a full page photo of Mantle inside? The one I have has a full page photo of the "Date of the Month" and a boxer.

doug.goodman
11-01-2019, 05:19 PM
Although I am a little miffed/thrilled/frustrated/happy/discouraged/excited to see that there are two Mantles and two Yankee team pictures with Mantle. I have one of each and now must look for the other two.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there are three different Mantles...

And, if you want to get really nit-picky, the #6 pose has versions with the picture higher and lower on the page. But that might just be me being stupid.

Doug

AustinMike
11-02-2019, 08:50 AM
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there are three different Mantles...

Thanks. I missed the last one somehow. Looks like I have to add another item on my list of things to look for.

And, if you want to get really nit-picky, the #6 pose has versions with the picture higher and lower on the page.

On the last page I think is where you had a second "6" pose. I couldn't tell the difference between that and the first one. So, the difference is the location of the picture on the page? That is an easy fix, just "conserve" the tops and bottoms as needed to make them the same. :eek::D

But that might just be me being stupid.

Unfortunately, I think we went to the same school and had the same lessons. Another item to add to my list.

Thanks again for the info!!

insidethewrapper
11-20-2019, 07:41 PM
Love that Walter Johnson Supplement. It states he throws the ball 122ft/sec. That equals only 83 mph. He must have throw it harder than that or he would be considered "slow " today.

Scott Garner
11-21-2019, 06:43 AM
Love that Walter Johnson Supplement. It states he throws the ball 122ft/sec. That equals only 83 mph. He must have throw it harder than that or he would be considered "slow " today.

OT, but you can imagine that the methods used to measure Walter Johnson's fastball were shaky at best. WaJo likely threw in the mid-high 90's from all accounts.
WaJo himself commented that Smoky Joe Wood threw faster at his peak.
Amos Rusie "The Hoosier Thunderbolt" likely was extremely fast as well based on all accounts.

FYI, fastball measurement didn't really get sophisticated until the 1970's when the aerospace industry used radar to gain more accurate measurement.

In 1974, aerospace industry leader Rockwell Intl. used their accurate radar equipment to measure Nolan Ryan's fastball. Measurement of speed was calculated as the ball passed the plate, not out in front of the mound like today's measurement. For the record, Nolan Ryan's fastball was clocked at 100.9 MPH which is still the record in the Guinness Book of Sports Records.

akleinb611
11-23-2019, 04:42 PM
Doug:

Sorry to be joining the conversation late. As always, your collection is eye-popping. And I still insist that your collecting the minor typographical variations is nuts. But in a good way. But really, nobody on the planet has a basic set of M114. And you're shooting for a MASTER set?

I haven't picked up anything new in some time. A combination of laziness and tight finances. But there's always tomorrow...

And if anyone has any inside information about the set that they'd like to share, you have my blessing to revive a thread I started a couple of years ago. I'm still looking for someone who has new additions to the woefully incomplete checklist provided by the SCD Master Catalogue.

doug.goodman
11-27-2019, 07:09 PM
Doug:

And if anyone has any inside information about the set that they'd like to share, you have my blessing to revive a thread I started a couple of years ago. I'm still looking for someone who has new additions to the woefully incomplete checklist provided by the SCD Master Catalogue.

Hi Alan -

A pleasure to hear from you, and perfect timing :

The catalog has one listing for Joseph Moore, but today I received a second version, and it's not a goofy font variation that nobody really cares about but me, it's a completely different picture.

There's a bit of a story behind it, to be filed under "good things come to those who wait" or possibly "don't stress, there is always going to be another one".

There is a seller on ebay who has a group of 30 m114s that he has had listed for months. There were 5 in the grouping that I am interested in, and I have made him multiple offers starting with fair, and later better than fair, but he doesn't want to split up the group. The Moore "portrait version" is in the group, and I had never seen it before, so I has understandably anxious to acquire it, but not by purchasing the entire (highly) overpriced group.

Then, another one popped up a week or so ago, I made a fair offer and now I have added it to my collection.

With 13 others I have picked up recently, this one puts me at 1,052 different m113 / m114 issues.

Doug "hey collectibles_1, I still want 4 from your group of 30" Goodman

akleinb611
11-30-2019, 04:15 PM
Very interesting about the Joe Moore variation. The checklist I use (which is not based on the SCD Catalogue checklist, but rather on a much older list that ran in Baseball Card News in the 80's) shows two entries for Joe Moore, for 1936 and 1954. I have the swinging bat version and it makes perfect sense for 1936, as many of the other posters released that year use a similar pose (Baseball Magazine often released their posters with the same or similar type of pose in a given year). 1954 for the second pose makes absolutely no sense, as Moore was out of the majors by the start of WWII. That second pose is one I may have seen here and there, but I didn't pick it up because I may have believed that I already had it. It very much resembles the poses used for Luke Appling and Mel Ott in their only M114 entries. Both of those date from the mid 30's as well.

Hard to say why Baseball Magazine would have replaced the one pose with the other, especially since both poses clearly date from within a few years of one another. No team change, as Moore spent his entire career with the Giants.

So, the 1954 entry for Moore is clearly a mistake. A typo for 1934, perhaps? All in all, just another illustration of how so much of this set makes little sense, and also of how little we really know about it.

Alan

akleinb611
12-07-2019, 12:17 PM
Further on Mr. Moore - on the VERY DAY I read Doug's account of the Moore variation, I was (naturally) motivated to search through Ebay for M114's - something I hadn't taken the time to do in some time. Wouldn't you know it - someone else had the Moore variation for sale, as well as three others that I needed! The price was a bit high, but after trading offers and counteroffers, I got the lot for a somewhat reasonable price.

I guess it shows that you should NEVER give up the search. And I guess it means, as we approach this year's holiday season, the true message of wisdom and life philosophy is - we should really, really spend MORE time on Ebay!

I guess I'm not much of a philosopher...

Alan

doug.goodman
12-14-2019, 12:37 PM
Congrats to whoever just sniped me on the Newcombe portrait variation. I thought I had put in a crazy high bid with 8 seconds remaining, and you beat me fair and square.

Doug

ejharrington
12-14-2019, 03:32 PM
Very impressive display; I enjoyed flipping through the pages!

doug.goodman
01-20-2020, 05:42 PM
A couple of completely new ones from ebay...

I'm now up to 1,087 different supplements.

Doug

jakebeckleyoldeagleeye
01-20-2020, 06:04 PM
Man those can get addictive! My two favorites are the Rip Collins and Bob Feller with Yankee Stadium in the back round. That's the same pose of the 48 Bowman and that's my favorite Feller card. Have the Feller signed and looking for a Rip Collins signed.
Sent some out to get autographed thru the years but being oversized was somewhat of a problem.
Thanks for the posting.

Boomer
01-22-2020, 01:30 PM
Incredible

doug.goodman
04-24-2020, 07:26 PM
Got a completely new one today, thank you ebay.

Buhl now joins Joe Adcock as the only ones with the weird "cut and paste" when doing that involved actual glue.

This one is #1,101

doug.goodman
04-25-2020, 06:50 PM
#1,102 showed up today. It's a variation of one that I already have, but it's still a pretty good one.

Doug

bigfanNY
05-10-2020, 04:19 PM
Doug I saw that you ised Itoya portfolios to store / display your large format items. Last werkI I ordered 3 of different sizes 18x24, 14x17 , 8.5 x11 and I am very happy with them, and will order more this week. The largest is great for storing old Rock posters that have been rooled up in tubes in my closet for 40 years. ( damm I am getting old) the middle size holds a wide variety of items and will most likely be what I use most. The smaller is great for older scorecards. So just a shout out of thanks for the heads up.
J

doug.goodman
05-10-2020, 06:19 PM
Doug I saw that you ised Itoya portfolios to store / display your large format items. Last werkI I ordered 3 of different sizes 18x24, 14x17 , 8.5 x11 and I am very happy with them, and will order more this week. The largest is great for storing old Rock posters that have been rooled up in tubes in my closet for 40 years. ( damm I am getting old) the middle size holds a wide variety of items and will most likely be what I use most. The smaller is great for older scorecards. So just a shout out of thanks for the heads up.
J

You're welcome.

doug.goodman
05-16-2020, 05:53 PM
Thank you ebay for sending me #1,108.

I already had this picture of Ruth batting for the Red Sox, but the first one credited the photo to International Newsreel, the one that arrived today credits C.M. Conlon.

The search continues,
Doug

JLange
05-30-2020, 08:28 AM
I was inspired by this thread to look for differences in the M113/M114 posters that I collect. Sure enough, I found a "NY" vs. "New York" variation on the 1948 Cleveland Indians Team Poster. I'm sure this variation was already known to others, but I was unaware. I had the "NY" version and picked up the "New York" version this month. Now I'm looking for more!

doug.goodman
05-30-2020, 03:34 PM
I was inspired by this thread to look for differences in the M113/M114 posters that I collect. Sure enough, I found a "NY" vs. "New York" variation on the 1948 Cleveland Indians Team Poster. I'm sure this variation was already known to others, but I was unaware. I had the "NY" version and picked up the "New York" version this month. Now I'm looking for more!

And now I have added the NY version to my want list. which remains at 31 m113s and 58 m114s because today I received #1,121 courtesy of ebay, and it's a completely new one...

doug.goodman
05-30-2020, 06:11 PM
For those of you who care, I just posted details of the nearly 250 players who I have multiple printing variations for in the m113 & m114 set(s) :
https://www.flickr.com/photos/douggoodman/albums/72157714517102288

Also, here is the vast majority of my partial "set" :

If anybody knows of other issued supplements, or variations, I would be interested in obtaining them from you, but even if you have no interest in selling / trading / giving me the ones you have, I would still be very interested in getting a good quality scan.

Doug

doug.goodman
07-01-2020, 07:26 PM
I just finished sorting and scanning the 1,149 different m113 & m114 issues that I own.

They are posted on flickr :

I also created closeup views of the 250, or so, that have print variations :
https://www.flickr.com/photos/douggoodman/albums/72157714517102288

The catalog of known (by myself and Alan Kleinberger) m113 & m114 supplements now totals 1,237.

Doug

GoCubsGo32
07-04-2020, 07:54 AM
Congrats on the new addition Doug! One more down....on to the next one.

Still find it interesting with all the different fonts/bold/semi bold variation. Thanks for sharing the close ups!

doug.goodman
07-06-2020, 10:34 PM
Thank you Gary.

I added #1,152 today.

A new Rube Marquard.

An m113, which is always nice, especially with a new picture, and the caption is completely different.

thecatspajamas
07-07-2020, 09:25 AM
Doug,
Out of curiosity, when you are looking at new offerings of supplements for sale, what percentage would you guess are already represented in your accumulation / known catalog vs. those that are previously-unknown variations? Seems like the new additions are slowing, but still coming up somewhat regularly. I'm just hoping that the slowdown is a result of the catalog filling out rather than your enthusiasm waning!

tiger8mush
07-07-2020, 10:43 AM
Awesome endeavor, great stuff Doug!

doug.goodman
07-11-2020, 06:39 PM
Doug,
Out of curiosity, when you are looking at new offerings of supplements for sale, what percentage would you guess are already represented in your accumulation / known catalog vs. those that are previously-unknown variations? Seems like the new additions are slowing, but still coming up somewhat regularly. I'm just hoping that the slowdown is a result of the catalog filling out rather than your enthusiasm waning!

More than 98% for sure, maybe even more than 99%.

My enthusiasm certainly hasn't waned, but the availability of "new" ones has.

Doug

doug.goodman
07-15-2020, 04:28 PM
I discovered an interesting bit of trivia today, while listing some of my duplicate m114s on ebay.

The 1929 National League Champion Chicago Cubs have a woman in their team picture. Sitting between team president Bill Veeck and owner William Wrigley Jr is "Miss Donohue (secretary)".

She's the only woman in any of the team pictures that I own, so there is a chance that she's the only woman on a Baseball Magazine supplement...

doug.goodman
07-17-2020, 07:52 PM
I got a new Stan Musial today, the photo isn't new, but two different credits for that photo is.

bigfish
07-18-2020, 08:53 AM
Outstanding collection. Thanks for sharing. Haven’t seen many of those before. Very cool!

doug.goodman
07-18-2020, 12:35 PM
Outstanding collection. Thanks for sharing. Haven’t seen many of those before. Very cool!

Thank you sir. The fun part for me is that I haven't seen any of them before either!

Rickyy
07-20-2020, 04:14 PM
Wow these are just fantastic. I went through a part of it through my lunch break from work.... really enjoyed seeing them!

Ricky Y

doug.goodman
07-21-2020, 03:05 PM
It's a big day for my collection, first up the DC version of Pee Wee Reese...

doug.goodman
07-21-2020, 06:57 PM
There are two photos for George Sisler, and I have both of them, but one of them didn't have a photo credit, and now I have a version with a Conlon credit.

doug.goodman
07-21-2020, 07:12 PM
I'll skip the other 11 new ones I picked up that are just different variations of the captions, they will be on my flickr site soon, but this is my last new one today, and it's pretty cool.

The SCD catalog lists Clem Labine as having two supplements, one issued in 1952 and the other issued in 1957 (which would have a DC credit).

Based on this, I had assumed the picture that I have with him in his stretch would date to 1952, due to the New York credit, and I have been looking for his DC issue.

But, today I received a supplement picturing him in his follow thru with a New York credit, so I have added a third Clem Labine supplement to the catalog that Alan and I have put together based on our own lists and the SCD (currently listing 1,257 different m113 / m114s), while still looking for the DC release.

GoCubsGo32
07-22-2020, 05:49 PM
Awesome new additions, Doug. Looks like you have a nice hot streak going on! Keep it up!

doug.goodman
08-07-2020, 05:43 PM
There are two different Phil Rizzuto m114 photos (a portrait and an action shot), and all issues (that I am aware of) use his full first name.

I have 5 caption variations of the action shot where Philip is spelled with one "L", and today I received my second caption version of the two "L" Phillip.

The portrait version is spelled with one "L" and I am aware of only one caption.

The hunt continues...

doug.goodman
09-02-2020, 05:36 PM
Big mail day for me today.

I received three new 8 1/2 X 11 inch DC issued supplements that I previously hadn't seen :

Johnny Kucks
Rip Repulski
Bob Rush

These were all listed in the catalog.

doug.goodman
10-06-2020, 07:33 PM
It's somehow fitting, even though we aren't related, that Baseball Magazine supplement #1200 in my collection is a caption variation of Bill Goodman.

doug.goodman
12-22-2020, 11:38 PM
With thanks to a board member, a variation of the m113 Joe Jackson

doug.goodman
12-31-2020, 06:34 PM
The mailman ended my year with these ebay buys.

A third variation of each of the 1946 Cards and Red Sox teams.

JLange
01-01-2021, 08:20 AM
What a great way to end your collecting year. Congrats on some nice variation pickups!

doug.goodman
01-04-2021, 12:09 PM
The mailman started my year with this ebay buy.

A third variation of the New York version Wagner.

doug.goodman
01-14-2021, 05:08 PM
From ebay, a new "Home Run" Baker m113

doug.goodman
01-25-2021, 08:41 PM
I picked up a new caption version (#5) of the Musial swinging a bat m114.

Only problem is, it's "autographed".

I'm not really an autograph guy, and much prefer if this m114 wasn't written on, because the signature doesn't look right to me, do you any of you guys have an opinion?

Thanx,
Doug

doug.goodman
01-30-2021, 11:27 AM
HUGE mail day today!

I met a guy on ebay (sounds like the Kinks song, but his name wasn't Lola)..,

Traded some m101-1 supplements for these :

1914 Cubs (20 X 13)
1915 Phillies (22 X 14)
1914 Tigers (18 1/2 X 13 1/2)
1914 Yankees (20 X 12)

He had picked them up in a recent Heritage auction (which I had somehow missed, and where I stole the scans from).

These things are f'n spectacularly beautiful.

puckpaul
02-02-2021, 02:09 PM
Those are great Doug. Congrats!

I love the M101-1’s, I never see them mentioned on the board except by me (and now you!).

bigfanNY
02-03-2021, 09:16 AM
Great pick ips Doug. Always loved Baseball Magazine teams and they hardly ever turn up.

BlueCrew
02-03-2021, 12:05 PM
I’ve enjoyed going through this thread from time to time and now considering jumping in.

What is the best way to store these? What sleeves, if any do you recommend?

Thanks,

BC

doug.goodman
02-03-2021, 09:37 PM
All of mine are in Itoya presentation books.

https://itoya.com/products/presentation-book-portfolios/the-original-art-profolio/

9 X 12 for the m114s

18 X 24 for the m113s

4scuda
02-04-2021, 08:11 AM
Miss Donahue is also pictured in the 1929 Chicago tribune supplement.

BlueCrew
02-04-2021, 08:54 PM
All of mine are in Itoya presentation books.

https://itoya.com/products/presentation-book-portfolios/the-original-art-profolio/

9 X 12 for the m114s

18 X 24 for the m113s

Thanks Doug!

doug.goodman
02-04-2021, 11:10 PM
Miss Donahue is also pictured in the 1929 Chicago tribune supplement.

The thing that always seemed a bit weird to me about that is that they are different pictures, but the look to have been taken during the same "shoot".

Note the placement of coach Jimmy Burke's hands (middle row far left) and the direction that Chick Tolson is looking (second from right, front row).

biggies
02-14-2021, 09:07 AM
Amazing collection Doug, Do you by chance have a pic of an offering or coupon page used to obtain these posters?

Thanks, Bob

doug.goodman
02-14-2021, 09:09 PM
Amazing collection Doug, Do you by chance have a pic of an offering or coupon page used to obtain these posters?

Thanks, Bob

Sorry, I do not. I have contemplated going through my Baseball Magazine collection to find all the ads and figure out if I can improve on the "catalog" but I haven't ever gotten around to it.

My offer to you for m113s is still open...

Doug

BeanTown
02-14-2021, 11:00 PM
Wow!! Good stuff. Will have to look what I have burried away frm the old Hunt and Lipset auctions from decades ago.

doug.goodman
02-15-2021, 03:40 PM
Do you by chance have a pic of an offering or coupon page used to obtain these posters?

Thanks, Bob

After Bob's question, I have done some digging and have started a new thread to discuss it :

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?p=2069004#post2069004

doug.goodman
02-26-2021, 01:14 PM
With special thanks to Wheatland Auctions and to Uncle Jimmy, I received two new team variations in the mail today.

Doug

doug.goodman
03-08-2021, 06:43 PM
Picked up a font variation on the first of the three different Mantle photos used in the m114 set from ebay last week. Bummed that I missed out on a Cobb from the same seller. Oh well, on with the hunt...

drumback
03-18-2021, 12:22 PM
Wow, what an amazing collection. Doug, I hope you never decide to break it up. No way it could ever be duplicated.

doug.goodman
03-19-2021, 12:12 AM
Wow, what an amazing collection. Doug, I hope you never decide to break it up. No way it could ever be duplicated.

Thank you Mark.

Few things in this world are certain, like the sun will always rise in the east, and set in the west, and if my Baseball Supplement collection ever leaves my possession it will be as a single grouping.

Or, maybe, via a fire in my driveway if the lovely wife gets REALLY pissed at me...

Doug "happy wife, happy life" Goodman

doug.goodman
04-08-2021, 04:40 PM
With special thanks to board member Jacklitsch and the BST, I added my 82nd m113 today.

The second version of Johnny Evers that was issued, I'm unsure of the year, but probably between 1911 and 1913.

RUKen
04-08-2021, 04:51 PM
With special thanks to board member Jacklitsch and the BST, I added my 82nd m113 today.

The second version of Johnny Evers that was issued, I'm unsure of the year, but probably between 1911 and 1913.

That's a 1913 uniform.

doug.goodman
04-08-2021, 05:28 PM
That's a 1913 uniform.

Thank you very much, sir.

And since he played for the Braves in 1914, I think we can now safely call it a 1913, or possibly early 1914, issue.

There was a second Cobb m114 announced in the Dec 1913 issue of the magazine, and in January 1914 there were posters announced for Lavender, Cheney & Schulte in the same Cubs uniform. No specific mention of Evers, but as he had more individual ads in the magazine regarding his poster than any other player thru that point, and since Cobb had been the first poster advertised (starting in August 1908) it would make sense that they would be the first two in need of a new poster.

The last ad for both the original Cobb and Evers posters looks to be in Nov 1913.

Doug

metroac
02-11-2022, 10:41 AM
You may have seen this, but it's a fascinating story (to me, at least) of where and when the Musial photo was taken. Baseball Reference dot com shows 6 as the only number he ever wore in the majors, which this story confirms, but takes it one step further.

https://thecardinalnation.com/now-batting-number-19-stanley-musial/

doug.goodman
02-11-2022, 12:19 PM
Thank you for that Mark, very interesting.

And as long as this thread is being bumped, here is supplement #1,272 in my never ending quest...

Doug

bigfanNY
02-18-2022, 07:47 PM
Doug came across this in my closet. I saw another 1925 Senators team on ebay but this one is not the same photo if you need it just pm me your address.

Jonathan

doug.goodman
02-19-2022, 03:11 PM
Thank you Jonathan, that would be very kind of you, but I will turn you down because I already have that one. I I consider yours to be a 1926 issue (because it notes the team as 1925 World Champions), the 1925 issue (which is probably the one you saw on ebay) is this one :

UKCardGuy
03-01-2022, 04:50 PM
A great thread and a fantastic collection Doug.

I've recently picked up my first M114s. I love them, but I'm curious how you tell which year the M114 dates to if the player appears in multiple M114 issues?

Lucas00
03-01-2022, 05:06 PM
Wow, great collection. I love these even more the more I look at them. And even more to add to my list of Schoendienst items needed. Are any for sale?

doug.goodman
03-01-2022, 05:47 PM
Wow, great collection. I love these even more the more I look at them. And even more to add to my list of Schoendienst items needed. Are any for sale?

I got rid of my duplicates during the zombie apocalypse, sorry.

doug.goodman
03-01-2022, 05:56 PM
A great thread and a fantastic collection Doug.

I've recently picked up my first M114s. I love them, but I'm curious how you tell which year the M114 dates to if the player appears in multiple M114 issues?

Thank you.

There is no clear cut way to date the issue (so far) besides using what is listed in the catalog, and inferring dates from the details of the pictures used (uniform types, etc.).

Based on my incomplete and ongoing study / exploration of M113 release dates, using advertisements from Baseball Magazine, I know that the standard catalog is often wrong with them, and I am confident that it will be even more wrong with the M114 issues, once I dive into those ads.

Doug

PS - here is my most recent addition : caption version #6 of Phil Cavarretta, #1,272 in my m113 / m114 collection

doug.goodman
03-01-2022, 06:04 PM
For those who are curious, here are the Cavarretta caption differences

https://www.flickr.com/photos/douggoodman/51912709931/in/dateposted/

Lucas00
03-01-2022, 06:18 PM
I got rid of my duplicates during the zombie apocalypse, sorry.
😢
Unfortunate

akleinb611
03-06-2022, 02:38 PM
Not for me. I snagged most of them (after another collector purchased the entire lot, kept the best-condition pieces for himself, and sold the rest to me for a very reasonable price).

I have about 130 different ones on ebay right now.

Hoping to find some this year at the National...

doug.goodman
03-07-2022, 12:28 PM
I bought a new Ruth caption variation on ebay yesterday, I'll post pix when it arrives.

This will be my 22nd different Ruth m114 (involving 7 different photos)

doug.goodman
03-14-2022, 10:52 PM
My new Yoggi Berra, and below it is a comparison of the four Berra m114 issues that I am aware of.

doug.goodman
03-25-2022, 08:14 PM
Added another Joe Medwick m114 today. I now have 7 different using 3 different pictures.

First photo is the new one. Second photo are all 7 supplements, highlighting the differences. Third photo are the 4 caption versions of the one I got today.

Alan Kleinberger and I have now cataloged 1,350 different m113 & m114 issues (it's possible that same of them don't exist), this is the 1,275th that I have.

doug.goodman
05-16-2022, 09:18 PM
It's been an eventful last month.

I finally got the Fred Lindstrom that I have been close to a couple of times, but never managed to snag (from sellers who probably still haven't sold).

I added a Billy Terry with a photo that neither myself or Alan Kleinberger knew existed.

And, I snagged the 1912 Giants team that the catalog said existed, but I hadn't previously found proof of. Due to it being matted, I wasn't sure how much it may have been trimmed when I bought it, I was concerned that some of the caption may have been gone, but once I received it, and removed the matting, it's all there.

I've also added a few font variations.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/douggoodman/

I'm up to 1,282 different m113 and m114 issues.

Doug

doug.goodman
05-17-2022, 05:55 AM
It has been pointed out to me (thank you Bruce) that the 1912 Giants team poster features a picture with uniforms that are not from 1912. I date the posters based on their release dates as defined by their first appearance in advertisements in Baseball Magazine. This is sometimes kind of complicated.

This poster is first mentioned in the Sept 1912 issue, and then shown in the Oct 1912 issue of Baseball Magazine, so I define it as a 1912 poster, although it might not be the 1912 team.

Edited to say that : a few minutes on the Retrosheet site shows that the picture must be from 1909, because of the presence of Arlie Latham (at the age of 49!).

Doug

doug.goodman
08-26-2022, 07:30 PM
It has been kind of boring in m114 land recently, except for one that got away in the H&S auction, until I picked up a Doc Steen collection Rudolph York from a board member (thank you Paul!) which I received today.

There are three different York pictures in the m114 set that I am aware of, one with him batting (4 caption versions), one with him in the dugout (3 caption versions) and one with him in a catchers pose with his name as Rudy. The Doc Steen version has his name as Rudolph.

So, here is a scan of my new York #1,295 in my collection, #1,369 in the catalog.

The second scan highlights the caption differences.

Doug

Lucas00
09-13-2022, 12:13 AM
It has been kind of boring in m114 land recently, except for one that got away in the H&S auction, until I picked up a Doc Steen collection Rudolph York from a board member (thank you Paul!) which I received today.

There are three different York pictures in the m114 set that I am aware of, one with him batting (4 caption versions), one with him in the dugout (3 caption versions) and one with him in a catchers pose with his name as Rudy. The Doc Steen version has his name as Rudolph.

So, here is a scan of my new York #1,295 in my collection, #1,369 in the catalog.

The second scan highlights the caption differences.

Doug
Take a look at Brockelmans current auction Doug. It will quell your boredom for a while.

doug.goodman
09-13-2022, 01:37 AM
Take a look at Brockelmans current auction Doug. It will quell your boredom for a while.

I appreciate the heads up.

Hankphenom
09-13-2022, 11:17 AM
I have an original mailing tube. Are they worth anything?

doug.goodman
09-13-2022, 09:03 PM
I have an original mailing tube. Are they worth anything?

Nothing to speak of, same with envelopes.

Hankphenom
09-14-2022, 08:01 AM
Nothing to speak of, same with envelopes. Thanks.

doug.goodman
03-08-2023, 12:01 AM
With thanx to the most recent REA.

The count is up to 1309 different m113 / m114 supplements, and these give me 93 m113s.

doug.goodman
04-09-2023, 10:04 PM
A few years ago I put in a way over the top (or so I thought) snipe of $300 on a portrait version Newcombe on ebay, and somebody else put in snipe that beat me.

Fast forward to the most recent Hunt auction and I got this one in a group for less than 2/3 of that previous ebay bid. Individual cost of the each supplement works out to about $9, so I'm quite happy to this to my m113/m114 collection, which now numbers 1,331.

AND, there were two other caption variations that I didn't have, plus an upgrade, so quite the pickup for me.

Always looking for more,
Doug

PS - I don't have any particular desire for autographed versions, so if somebody has the portrait Newcombe that is NOT autographed, I might be interested in a trade...

Lucas00
04-17-2023, 09:22 PM
An auction listing you may want to take a look at doug.

https://memorylaneinc.com/site/bids/bidplace?itemid=77541

doug.goodman
04-17-2023, 11:53 PM
Thank you for the heads up Lucas, I very much appreciate it.
Doug

Lucas00
04-18-2023, 03:55 PM
Thank you for the heads up Lucas, I very much appreciate it.
Doug
Of course Doug, Always share things I know people are looking for. Especially when they are a main obscure focus!

doug.goodman
06-12-2023, 08:24 PM
With thanks to the most recent auction by The Collector Connection, I present to you Mr. Tris Speaker #1,334 in my m113 / m114 collection. There are three caption versions of this picture, as shown below.

vthobby
06-12-2023, 08:47 PM
I always feel good when
I find M114s that you need!

You are an amazing asset to the hobby Doug! Thanks!

Mike

doug.goodman
06-13-2023, 05:31 PM
I always feel good when
I find M114s that you need!

You are an amazing asset to the hobby Doug! Thanks!

Mike

Well, 'amazing asset' is a bit of stretch.

Doug 'better than nothing asset' Goodman

doug.goodman
06-20-2023, 05:01 AM
Big weekend for my collection thanks to a board member.

Let's start with the discovery of a second printing of the Gehrig 'stretching' m114

doug.goodman
06-20-2023, 05:12 AM
And a third version of Ruth batting for the Red Sox...

doug.goodman
06-20-2023, 02:30 PM
How about a second version of the Sultan of Swat issue?

doug.goodman
06-20-2023, 02:34 PM
And who knew that there were two different printings of the Marty O'Toole m113? I certainly didn't. He was first advertised in June 1912

Edited to add - this is my 100th different m113, with 17 more that I think may exist.

doug.goodman
06-30-2023, 06:35 PM
m113 #101 (still looking for 8 that I know exist, and 8 that may exist, and any others that pop up) This one gives me a total of 1,349 Baseball Magazine poster supplements.

The 8 I know exist :
1915 Cardinals Team
William Carrigan
Walter Johnson (wearing a sweater, 2 variations)
Marty O'Toole
Victor Saier
Frank Schulte
"Death Valley" Scott

The 8 that I think may exist :
1915 Athletics Team
1913 Braves Team
1909 Pirates Team
Bob Shawkey
Jimmy Sheckard
Tris Speaker (facing left)
1914 Whales Team
1915 White Sox Team

If anybody has a picture of any of the ones that may exist (or of Carrigan) I would love to get a copy.

Thanx,
Doug

doug.goodman
07-26-2023, 05:06 PM
I wasn't positive that he even existed until I found Vernon Law on ebay, so he becomes m114 #1,262 (to go with my 102 m113 posters) giving me 1,364 Baseball Magazine posters.

And there is a typo in the caption, so maybe there is a variation out there?

The chase continues...

doug.goodman
08-27-2023, 07:09 PM
Happy to add these two (and some others) bringing my total to 1,370 different m113 and m114 posters.

The new Gil Hodges is the one in the middle of the five variations I have (so far), see how huge his name is compared to the others.

The newest Jackie Robinson is the one on the bottom of the three variations, note how the bottom of the 'J' is level with the other letters, while it dips below them on the other two posters.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/douggoodman/

doug.goodman
08-28-2023, 08:10 PM
A brand new one removed from my want list today, woohoo!

m114 #1,270

doug.goodman
11-29-2023, 06:09 PM
I picked up a group of 275+ m114 posters in the most recent Lelands auction.

After scanning them all, and comparing them to what I already have, I was VERY happy to add 31 new ones to my collection (all caption variations, no new pictures, or needed players).

I was also happy to upgrade 37 others.

A couple of examples are :

Bartell - look at how the words 'Baseball' and 'New York' line up on the left side of the captions.

McCarthy - the new one is on the bottom, note the font of the letters 'N' and 'K' compared to the other two.

I now have 1,324 different m114 posters, to go along with my 103 m113s.

Schlesinj
11-30-2023, 02:07 AM
I picked up a group of 275+ m114 posters in the most recent Lelands auction.

After scanning them all, and comparing them to what I already have, I was VERY happy to add 31 new ones to my collection (all caption variations, no new pictures, or needed players).

I was also happy to upgrade 37 others.

A couple of examples are :

Bartell - look at how the words 'Baseball' and 'New York' line up on the left side of the captions.

McCarthy - the new one is on the bottom, note the font of the letters 'N' and 'K' compared to the other two.

I now have 1,324 different m114 posters, to go along with my 103 m113s.

I saw that lot and wondered if you were going to grab that, congrats on the upgrades/new variations.

GoCubsGo32
11-30-2023, 07:07 AM
I saw that lot and wondered if you were going to grab that, congrats on the upgrades/new variations.

+1 Ditto

Great haul, congrats Doug!

doug.goodman
11-30-2023, 07:04 PM
Thanks guys.

Large groupings are always a crap shoot, especially due to the esoteric nature of my needs or wants, which are largely caption variations that few (if any) care about other than myself.

Generally speaking I don't even know that they exist until I discover them, and frequently the scans in an auction or sale aren't good enough quality to tell the difference for the limited number of posters that are usually shown.

There were only 5 posters pictured in this lot (less than 2%), so I was quite happy when nearly a quarter of the posters were ones I "needed".

I just picked up a couple other smaller groups which I should have next week, hopefully they contain a similar % of new ones for me.

whiteymet
12-01-2023, 10:46 PM
Doug:

Saw these at the Philly show:

doug.goodman
12-02-2023, 01:54 AM
Fred - very kind of you to take the time to help me in my quest. I just emailed you.

Doug

doug.goodman
01-31-2024, 10:52 PM
Picked up a few new ones so far this year putting me at 104 m113 and 1352 m114 posters.

My favorites are the last of the 11 large posters released in June 1955 (even though the Standard catalog lists them in 1957).

I also picked up a new Cobb caption tonight on ebay, and expect a new Gehrig caption in the mail soon. The new caption Jennings m113 that I won in REA last weekend arrived at my mother-in-law's place today, but a last minute trip home (500 miles away) means I won't see it until next week.

The hunt continues...

Oh, and I rescanned my entire collection so the 20+ year hodgepodge of scan qualities is now uniform, and done on grids so the sizes are shown.

m113 (missing one)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/douggoodman/albums/72177720309523822

m114

BeanTown
02-01-2024, 12:42 AM
Haven’t spent to much time on this thread but glad I did tonight. Super impressed Doug and what an accomplishment. I collect currency like you do these poster supplements.

And speaking about “hunt”, I found an old unopened box I won from Hunt auctions over a decade ago. In the box it had these 5 along with something else I’m not sure what it is of Home Run Baker. The Cobb, 2 Gehrigs, Matty, and Ruth are all NM and look great. I’m sure you have these long with the captions, but wanted to contribute.

doug.goodman
02-01-2024, 12:28 PM
Haven’t spent to much time on this thread but glad I did tonight. Super impressed Doug and what an accomplishment. I collect currency like you do these poster supplements.

And speaking about “hunt”, I found an old unopened box I won from Hunt auctions over a decade ago. In the box it had these 5 along with something else I’m not sure what it is of Home Run Baker. The Cobb, 2 Gehrigs, Matty, and Ruth are all NM and look great. I’m sure you have these long with the captions, but wanted to contribute.

I laughed when I read your post because I had read your baseball currency thread yesterday and thought to myself "he treats baseball currency like I treat Baseball Magazine posters".

The Baker is an m113 poster.

I'm going to send you a note about potentially trading your Cobb for one of my Cobbs...

Doug

vthobby
02-01-2024, 12:42 PM
Doug,

I emailed you pics of my 3 M113s as requested, thanks! Mike

doug.goodman
02-08-2024, 02:52 PM
#105 in my m113 collection, version #3 of Hugh Jennings.

I believe that the release dates of the three versions shown in the second picture were :

Dec 1909 for the top one - Series #5

Between July 1910 and August 1912 for the middle one - Boston, Mass

Dec 1913 for the bottom one - with just his name

doug.goodman
02-12-2024, 05:03 PM
#106 in my m113 collection, I wasn't even sure that this one existed until I saw the listing, so I'm quite happy picking it up.

The 1915 Chicago Whales, first advertised in the Dec 1915 issue of Baseball Magazine

GoCubsGo32
02-14-2024, 11:46 AM
Wowzer! Congrats Doug awesome pick up!

doug.goodman
03-14-2024, 09:07 PM
With thanks to the most recent Brockelman Auction here is my newest m114.

There are "large name" versions of around 20 m114 posters and this Reese was unknown to me until the auction.

While this is the first Reese poster of his two, which was originally released in November 1942, this print version (#8 that I am aware of) is from 1952 (possibly April, but I'm still working on that).

If anybody has the same one that IS NOT autographed, I might be interested in a trade.

jason.1969
03-21-2024, 08:10 PM
Doug, forgive the spam if this is well known but I ran across this ad in the 11/17/1962 Sporting News.

Am wondering if these photos are the leftover M114 inventory of the recently defunct Baseball Magazine.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240322/7bd08904b88faeb90d31e2376a30ca91.jpg

Jason
Twitter: @heavyj28

doug.goodman
03-22-2024, 12:21 AM
Thank you Jason, but although everybody's favorite opinion seller likes to slab the Baseball Monthly m118s as being from Baseball Magazine they are actually a completely different issue. They are not related, as far as I know, and did not overlap in issue dates.

While not all Baseball Magazine supplements note the magazine, the vast majority do. (now I'm going to have to figure out how many, hahaha)

All Baseball monthly supplements note that magazine.

Here is my recently sold Mays and an original ad from Baseball Monthly.