PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know who this hockey player is?

quinnsryche
03-04-2018, 05:54 PM
Hi guys, anybody know how this is? Does anyone at least know the team?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Tony

xbaggypants
03-04-2018, 09:04 PM
Pretty sure that's the Rochester Americans

Kurri17
03-04-2018, 09:15 PM
OK, did some looking and can't pin it down. Closely resembles the 1969 NHL all star jersey, but appears to differ slightly. I also thought it was perhaps a Rochester or New York Americans jersey or perhaps a minor league all star jersey, or even an old National team perhaps. Out of research time tonight, will be interested to see what exactly it is. Hope someone nails it.

Butch7999
03-05-2018, 11:33 AM
Researching/networking on this as well (love these sort of questions)...
Could be wrong on any of this but:
Can't yet identify the player, but, to us, he doesn't look at all like Doug Young. Our own first impression
was that it was Marcel Pronovost, but no, Pronovost was a lefthand shot.
Pretty certain that's neither a Rochester nor New York Americans sweater -- we've never seen an example
of either team's sweater in the "football" (numbers on front) style, and both sported a lot more stars.
Not an NHL All-Star Game sweater either -- checked all (at least most of) the pre-expansion ASG styles
and none come close.
Rob/Kurri stated what we were thinking -- a minor-league ASG sweater. The major (but not major-league) rip
in his left stocking suggests some low-budget minor-league shabbiness.
Not seeing any reflections indicating glass surrounding the rink, so this might maybe perhaps be from
the "chicken-wire" days, again suggestive of a 1950s low-minor-league ambience...
Waiting to hear back from sources and contacts...

irv
03-05-2018, 05:23 PM
Researching/networking on this as well (love these sort of questions)...
Could be wrong on any of this but:
Can't yet identify the player, but, to us, he doesn't look at all like Doug Young. Our own first impression
was that it was Marcel Pronovost, but no, Pronovost was a lefthand shot.
Pretty certain that's neither a Rochester nor New York Americans sweater -- we've never seen an example
of either team's sweater in the "football" (numbers on front) style, and both sported a lot more stars.
Not an NHL All-Star Game sweater either -- checked all (at least most of) the pre-expansion ASG styles
and none come close.
Rob/Kurri stated what we were thinking -- a minor-league ASG sweater. The major (but not major-league) rip
in his left stocking suggests some low-budget minor-league shabbiness.
Not seeing any reflections indicating glass surrounding the rink, so this might maybe perhaps be from
the "chicken-wire" days, again suggestive of a 1950s low-minor-league ambience...
Waiting to hear back from sources and contacts...

The more I looked the more I went against my original thought, but I am surprised you guys think it is a later, or less older shot, rather than an earlier one? I assume you guys see things that tell you it is a much later/newer pic than the 30's-40's?

Personally, I think it is just a picture day or practice shot. Hence his gear. Notice the guy in the background standing way down by the net near the goalie. No way he'd be there if it was a real game nor would he be standing still.
Curiosity is getting the better of me so I think I am going to pull out my Beehives to see if I can find someone who resembles him. Might be futile, especially if it's a much later shot, but, like I alluded to, the pic struck me as someone I have seen before, and the only place I can think of, is someone in my Beehive collection.

Butch7999
03-05-2018, 08:43 PM
Dale/Irv, we totally agree with you that that's a "posed"/"picture day" shot, not "game action."
Beyond that, we're wide open as to who, what, and when -- could be as early as late '30s, as late as early '60s.
No particular clue tells us "vaguely '50s," just that that's in the middle of our date-range estimate -- the uniform,
the equipment, the hairstyle, the flash photography, all combine to give it that "feel."
Having stared into the void for a while, we begin to perceive signage of some sort high on the back wall
of the arena (upper right quarter of the photo) that might be a big help in narrowing down a timeframe and
the team -- if it could be read. Unfortunately, we can't enhance it nearly enough to decipher anything on it.

First feedback from our expert sources/contacts is of no help. Awaiting more and better...

irv
03-06-2018, 03:48 AM
Dale/Irv, we totally agree with you that that's a "posed"/"picture day" shot, not "game action."
Beyond that, we're wide open as to who, what, and when -- could be as early as late '30s, as late as early '60s.
No particular clue tells us "vaguely '50s," just that that's in the middle of our date-range estimate -- the uniform,
the equipment, the hairstyle, the flash photography, all combine to give it that "feel."
Having stared into the void for a while, we begin to perceive signage of some sort high on the back wall
of the arena (upper right quarter of the photo) that might be a big help in narrowing down a timeframe and
the team -- if it could be read. Unfortunately, we can't enhance it nearly enough to decipher anything on it.

First feedback from our expert sources/contacts is of no help. Awaiting more and better...

I never got around to looking at my Beehives but hope to soon. Hopefully I can find something that helps solve this mystery, but judging by your comments, I take it you guys have far more knowledge than me and if it was as simple as looking at Beehives, you guys would have already solved it?

Kurri17
03-06-2018, 01:48 PM
1947 Cleveland Barons?

http://hockeygods.com/images/14580-Cleveland_Barons_1947_American_Hockey_League

Butch7999
03-06-2018, 01:59 PM
Dale/Irv, nossir, far from it! We have almost no knowledge about almost anything, but that's never prevented us
from spinning out vague opinions!
We do not own a single Beehive (although we are occasionally plagued by hornets' nests), so we have no concise source
for photo comparisons. Please check your collection and see if you can't come up with a match for the mystery man!

Rob/Kurri, excellent guess and/or sleuthing! A little hard to tell from the tiny photos that are turning up in a search **,
but that may very well be it! And if so... Aug Herchenratter? http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=14183

** whoops, overlooked the link you provided. Looks right! Hmm... Herchenratter seems to have the face,
but Joe Cooper (can't locate a photo of just him) is wearing the number...

quinnsryche
03-06-2018, 03:10 PM
You guys are amazing! Never ceases to amaze me the amount of knowledge on this board. I 100% agree it's a Cleveland Barons uniform. Looks like Aug is the man too. I'll just say it's probably 1948-49 as it's the only year he played there. Plus Joe Cooper wasn't there that year so he probably got his uniform.
Thanks guys, that was fun watching the progression of unknown to known!

Butch7999
03-06-2018, 03:44 PM
Rob/Kurri identifying the uniform and team was key -- we'd never have gotten to Herchenratter otherwise.
Herchenratter a very interesting story, by the way -- we'd never heard of the guy,
but a little follow-up research reveals he was Milt Schmidt's nephew and a war hero.

irv
03-06-2018, 07:13 PM
Good job guys. Glad to see it was solved. :)

Next? Like Butch, I want to play some more. :)

Kurri17
03-06-2018, 08:33 PM
Glad to see that we think we have it. I would love to claim a vast knowledge of hockey history, but sadly can't, at least not from that era. Perhaps a little OCD was the actual victor here just as the oddball card on someone's want list that I just know I have and will dig until I find it, I just kept digging. Funny how excited I was when I thought I might have it. That was fun, and I learned a little about some jersey history along the way.

quinnsryche
03-10-2018, 11:27 AM
Rob or Butch, since you guys were so helpful I am going to make an offer. Whichever of you 2 contacts me first, you can have the photo free of charge if you want it. I have no attachment to it, I just was curious and you guys did all the leg work.
Let me know, the race is on!
Thanks,
Tony

Kurri17
03-10-2018, 11:58 AM
PM'ed you.

commishbob
03-10-2018, 01:48 PM
rob or butch, since you guys were so helpful i am going to make an offer. Whichever of you 2 contacts me first, you can have the photo free of charge if you want it. I have no attachment to it, i just was curious and you guys did all the leg work.
Let me know, the race is on!
Thanks,
tony

quinnsryche
03-10-2018, 01:48 PM
Rob is going to send the photo to Aug's family and let us know how it goes. I think that's very cool of him to do.

Butch7999
03-10-2018, 02:30 PM
Kind and generous gestures on the part of both of you guys!

irv
03-10-2018, 03:06 PM
Kind and generous gestures on the part of both of you guys!

X2! Way to go guys. :)

frankbmd
03-11-2018, 08:27 AM
Rob is going to send the photo to Aug's family and let us know how it goes. I think that's very cool of him to do.

Rob should remove that bandaid near Aug’s left eye before sending the photo to his mother who once said,

”Aug, stop playing with that damn puck, it’ll put your eye out!”