PDA

View Full Version : 1937 Cardinals & Mobile Shippers - Class B Southeastern League

Leon
02-22-2018, 08:03 AM
We have a lot of members and there are a lot more folks who know and read the forum. Recently I received a message from Jim (Hi Jim) of 707sports fame. I believe he is Levi's (hi Levi) right hand man. Two great guys who I always enjoy chatting with at National Conventions. Jim sent me these little pictures/cards to see if I knew anything about them. I don't. So, has anyone seen these before or know anything about them? Here is the message from Jim-

" Have you ever seen these? From 1937. Little pictures of Cardinals and Mobile Shippers a Class B Southeastern League hooked up with the Cardinals. The Cardinals pictures have a McGill photography studios in Mobile stamp on the back. Found reference to a Cardinals and Clippers clinic they had August 5th 1937 which might have something to do with then. Found lots of info on team etc but not finding any previous mention of pictures."

cardinalcollector
02-22-2018, 08:12 AM
I have never seen those before. They are awesome!

Leon
02-22-2018, 08:20 AM
I have never seen those before. They are awesome!

Hey Randy
When I first saw them I thought of you. :) Ya' never know what will be seen around here. That is for sure. Maybe someone will have seen them before and chime in. Hope all is well your way.

packs
02-22-2018, 08:35 AM
Are they sure the McGill stamp is a studio stamp and not a stamp the person who took the photos might have used? They look more like amateur photos to me than a studio effort.

bbcard1
02-22-2018, 08:42 AM
My Googlefu yielded this little bit of information that I suspect to be relevant. Some of his surviving photos are part of the archives at University of South Alabama.

MCGILL STUDIO (89-02-192) Max P. McGill Sr. (1892-1956) was a commercial photographer in Mobile and Fairhope, Alabama, ca. 1926-1942. Unfortunately, only a small portion of his work has survived due to a fire. There are 123 safety and nitrate negatives (5 x 7 and 8 x 10) and 53 glass plate negatives (5 x 7) in his collection. The nitrate and safety negatives include aerial views and street scenes in Mobile and Fairhope. The glass plates are primarily portraits of individuals, including Mr. and Mrs. E. B. Gaston and McGill family members. A number of the images have been printed

GoCubsGo32
02-22-2018, 09:09 AM
Are they sure the McGill stamp is a studio stamp and not a stamp the person who took the photos might have used? They look more like amateur photos to me than a studio effort.

I agree they look like amateur candid snapshots vs studio IMO

Is it possible that a fan took these pictures and they got the pictures developed at McGill Studios local in town and McGill Studios used their stamp on the back of the photos for advertisement reasons?

packs
02-22-2018, 09:10 AM
I'm thinking the same thing now that the studio was confirmed. I think maybe someone developed the photos there vs. a studio effort to produce cards for market.