PDA

View Full Version : Gary Carter Post Mortem Autographed Card

joshuanip
02-16-2018, 08:30 PM
Sorry this isn't pre-war related, but I thought I'd follow up one interesting thing with another. Below is a picture of a card Gary Carter signed at the time near his death. This blue bordered card was printed by Gary Carter and he handed out to his fans. There was a small printing of a few cards that he made which printed the year he died, and I believe he signed a few of these for his close friends.

Not for sale, I made a promise to the person who gave it to me. But cool to share.

lowpopper
02-18-2018, 07:04 PM
Wow. Did he sign these knowing he was about to die? Or is this a "clubhouse" auto?

He only died 2 months into the year so it looks suspicious to say the least.

However, this is possibly authentic because he had advanced brain cancer. He or the family could have had these made knowing what was inevitable.

I'm dying to know if it would pass PSA, JSA, or whoever.

Someone else please chime in. I can only speculate.

joshuanip
02-19-2018, 04:39 PM
Hi. I got this from a distant relative who was a close personal friend of Gary. So this isn’t a clubhouse auto.

I thought about getting this JSA’d but thought it would be pointless if I’m keeping it. It’s a bit macabre but really different kind of card.

mrmopar
02-19-2018, 06:33 PM
Definitely something that will raise eyebrows (and doubt) in the future, especially with no formal back up for the story aside from personal assurances.

I know Gary collected cards himself and perhaps he thought it might be something special to have a card like that out there which is a memorial, but signed at the same time, something only a person who was facing their ultimate fate could produce. I assume he knew 2012 would be it for him, given the stage of the cancer and decided to have a little fun with it before he went.

Not too many like it, if any, out there for anyone else.

clydepepper
02-20-2018, 09:35 AM
Definitely NOT Post Mortem - by definition, such would be impossible.

now...barley pre mortem...possible...but, I'm finding this whole discussion a little too creepy.

I believe Mr. Carter deserves another RIP because of this thread.

RIP Gary! We miss you.