PDA

View Full Version : 1855 Base Ball Rules

bgar3
02-16-2018, 12:59 PM
The Laws of Base Ball manuscript was auctioned in 2016 for over 3 million dollars. It was drafted in 1857 by Doc Adams for presentation to a convention of New York vicinity clubs, not really an affordable collectible for most of us. However, there are several early Base Ball Rules opportunities available to collectors. I have attached photos of an example below.
Even before the 1857 Rules, there was a published version of the Knickerbocker Rules in 1848, although I do not think a copy of that publication still exists. These early rule publications were usually limited and used by individual clubs and were not really intended for the general public. But, in 1854, three New York clubs, Knickerbockers, Gotham’s and Eagles, agreed to play games by the same rules. These were printed in the May 12, 1855 Spirit of the Times, p. 147, complete with a diagram and supplemented by a schedule of practice days and ball grounds for the local clubs. This was a major step, since it was the first major public attempt to spread the rules and game to a wider audience.
This is a pretty important link between the more famous 1845-48 Knickerbocker Rules and the 1857 more comprehensive version
I am always interested in hearing about similar earl history items.

GaryPassamonte
02-16-2018, 02:47 PM
Bruce, you keep coming up with cool stuff.

GrayGhost
02-16-2018, 03:39 PM
That is so cool. Wow

bgar3
02-17-2018, 06:05 AM
Thank you.
Gary, still wish I had been able to get all those cdv’s.
The Spirit of the Times was a pretty interesting paper, it published a few other baseball highlights and I awaiting the bound full year from 1869 to check the coverage of the Cincinnati Red Stockings. If there is anything neat, I will post it.
I also hope there will be other early historical stuff posted here.
Anyone who has stuff like this and would rather have money for cards, please think of me, we might work something out.

aquarius31
02-18-2018, 12:42 PM
Bruce,
This one is over a year after yours (December 6, 1856). It has player profiles for the Knickerbockers including Doc Adams. Sorry for the poor photo.

bgar3
02-18-2018, 01:56 PM
That is great, that is the next step in Rules, expanding them etc. I do not have that one, let me know if you want to part with it, we might be able to work something out.

Baseball Rarities
02-18-2018, 04:16 PM
Such cool stuff guys. Really appreciate your sharing.