PDA

View Full Version : Mislabeled PSA Slab Question

JollyElm
02-07-2018, 01:05 AM
This thread actually refers to a post-war card, but since it's an odd dilemma and more of a general question, I decided to post it here.

I recently ran across a very high graded variation card. Problem is, PSA messed it up. The card in the slab is the 'normal' version and NOT the rarer variation (yes, I'm sure). It's basically a typo. But here's why it's pertinent. In this world of registries (for full disclosure, I am not personally involved in any registry), the card is the highest graded example there is. POP of 1. Problem is, to reiterate, the label is 100% wrong.

I know if I owned said card, I could send it in to be relabeled and (I assume) they would eliminate the erroneous variation card from the POP reports. But since it's not in my possession, would PSA make the change if I (or the seller or someone else) sent them pictures/proof of the incorrect slab, or is it fated to remain as it is until somebody sends the actual slabbed card in to be corrected and re-holdered? In other words, do third parties have any sway whatsoever in instances such as this?? Obviously, I know the answer is a resounding "NO!!!," but I'm hoping I could be wrong.

There is no motivation at all for the current owner to send it in to PSA, as the actual non-variation card is of very little value. It wouldn't be worth the postage costs. A scammer could sell it by pretending it is, in fact, what the label says it is, and duping someone out of his cash, but the seller seems to be a stand up guy. However, once he sells it (his label honestly states it is the 'regular' version, regardless of what the PSA label says), who knows what 'scammery' will ensue.

Any thoughts??

itslarry
02-07-2018, 06:44 AM
Buy the holder not the card, and you can never go wrong:rolleyes:

Harford20
02-07-2018, 08:04 AM
I am currently dealing with PSA on this exact issue with several card that were mislabeled initially. I have had to send scans to PSA Customer Service (yeah, really called that), have the scans reviewed by the Research Team to verify that there is an error. Once this is done (not yet after 4 weeks), I have been instructed that I will need to send the cards to PSA as "Mechanical Errors" (no cost to me) for correction. At that time, the original flip #/grade will be removed and corrected.

With this process, it seems that there would not be anyway to have this corrected until the card GETS to PSA physically.

Dave

Throttlesteer
02-07-2018, 08:13 AM
I was wondering about this same thing, seeing an incorrectly stabbed "E106" Lajoie on Ebay.

glynparson
02-07-2018, 10:47 AM
They will holder for free and ship back on their dime. I always include with an order so i am not sure if they reimburse shipping to them as it has never been an issue for me where i shipped just an error to be fixed.

egbeachley
02-07-2018, 01:06 PM
I think the point is that the current owner gets to put a rare variation on the Regustry when, in fact, he does not have the rare card.

There was a Heinie Wagner labeled as an Honus Wagner some years ago. PSA removed the error from their records so that it could no longer be used in the Registry as an Honus Wagner. But the card wasn't resubmitted.

swarmee
02-07-2018, 05:02 PM
If it's an egregious error that makes people question the company, PSA very well would contact the owner and get the card back to relabel. Depends how expensive the real card is and whether anyone is likely to get defrauded, since their guarantee would be liable.

Bocabirdman
02-07-2018, 05:29 PM
I recently sold this card on the BST. The buyer must have thought I was nuts. I had to ask him if he was OK with the mistake, at least three times. Finally I got an answer. I guess the buyer thought that a Jones was a Jones...:D