PDA

View Full Version : Photograph- Back Stamp HELP

Mark70Z
02-04-2018, 07:23 AM
There’s a photograph that I like that has this back stamp on the reverse and I wanted to get some expert, or even more experience with photos than me, advice. Is this a more modern stamping or what period is it from. I know Wingfield took a lot of photos, but unsure if this is just a relatively recent stamp or period. Any help would be great.

Dewey
02-04-2018, 08:42 AM
Stamping consistent with Type 2 1970's re-strikes from original negatives.

Mark70Z
02-04-2018, 12:19 PM
Dewey,

Thanks for the information. The seller is describing the photograph as a ‘50’s photo, which I think it’s an early ‘60’s shot, but wondered if it was period or not. A Type 2 is fine with me as well, but didn’t want to pay asking price for a non Type 1. Possibly make an offer and see how it turns out.

Jobu
02-04-2018, 12:54 PM
Has anyone ever created a dating guide for back stamps? I think it would be a great resource.

Dewey
02-04-2018, 01:20 PM
Has anyone ever created a dating guide for back stamps? I think it would be a great resource.

A Portrait of Baseball Photography by Fogel, Oser, and Yee. A tremendous resource if you can find one.

According to Fogel et al, the stamping in the image above is very similar to Wingfield's period originals, but the "n" in News is the giveaway to it being a 70's reissue.

Type I stamp looks like this (http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.com/1938-53-bill-mckechnie-cincinnati-reds-"the-sporting-news-collection-archives"-original-type-1-8"-x--lot19434.aspx). Very similar.

prewarsports
02-04-2018, 01:36 PM
Be careful, John Rogers faked the later "restrike" version of Don Wingfield's stamp. If the paper is glossy, I would stay away to be safe unless its really cheap. He had access to Wingfield's negatives through the Sporting News archive and made fake stamps so whether its a 1970's re-strike or a 2012 JR special (still technically a type 2) all comes down to the age of the paper.

Mark70Z
02-05-2018, 04:27 PM
Be careful, John Rogers faked the later "restrike" version of Don Wingfield's stamp. If the paper is glossy, I would stay away to be safe unless its really cheap. He had access to Wingfield's negatives through the Sporting News archive and made fake stamps so whether its a 1970's re-strike or a 2012 JR special (still technically a type 2) all comes down to the age of the paper.

Appreciate the input. I asked the seller a question about the item, but have yet to see a response. They’re wanting around $100 for the pic so I’ll be passing unless a steep reduction in the cost which I don’t think will happen.

On a side note I look forward to receiving the Brooksie picture from a recent auction 😃