PDA

View Full Version : GoneWithTheStain ? Anyone use these services?

Slinger
02-01-2018, 10:28 AM
I am still very new and don't know the history here....

1) I am unsure if this is the correct placement for this question.

2) I see the apparent owner of gonewiththestain as being banned on here? Not sure of the history, but I hope that I am not opening a can of worms here.

I have some Postwar cards that have various size wrinkles that I would like to have worked on. Hopefully removed. I am not daring enough to try many of the "at home" techniques that I found on Google. Rather have a "professional" give me their opinion and give it a go.

Any thoughts, recommendations, etc.....on where to look or whom to contact to have my cards looked at?

Thanks to any and all that take the time to point me in the correct direction.

steve B
02-01-2018, 10:45 AM
Well......

1)This is as good a place as any.

2) I haven't used his service, and don't recall the specifics of the banning.

But altering cards- removing stains, flattening creases etc is generally frowned on in the hobby.

It usually becomes a heated debate as to exactly what is considered to be an alteration. Some favor some degree of things being done as long as it's towards preservation and not deceptive, But even those things can be deceptive later if the next person to own it doesn't disclose the alteration. Most people would be against removing wrinkles.
Other people consider anything that changes the card from its "as found" state to be an alteration - like removing scrapbook residue, or ingrained dirt etc.

I would strongly advise against having wrinkles worked on, even by a professional. The current thinking is that it's a deceptive alteration and if it's known negatively affects the cards value. By extension, if someone is known to use repair services, their cards become somewhat suspect even if they haven't been worked on.

Slinger
02-01-2018, 10:51 AM
Very interesting perspective and points that I didn't realize.

I appreciate the input and helping me learn. I have quite the learning curve to catch up on since I have been gone from the hobby for nearly 30 years. Thank you.

pclpads
02-01-2018, 11:14 AM
If you click on the "search" tab on this page and type in GoneWithTheStain, you will find an extensive read on this and poss. answers to your questions.

Slinger
02-01-2018, 11:21 AM
If you click on the "search" tab on this page and type in GoneWithTheStain, you will find an extensive read on this and poss. answers to your questions.

Tried that first before posting. Wasn't successful. Hence the post. My apologies if my computer didn't find the threads you mention. :(

bn2cardz
02-01-2018, 11:57 AM
He was banned because as a whole the idea of alteration is frowned. He didn't specifically do anything on here cause the banishment.

I don't know from first hand, but I have seen people mention that when wrinkles are removed they can come back later down the road since the paper is already ruined.

The only alteration that seems "ok" to some (about 50-50 still) is soaking to remove residue using water. Wrinkle removing is probably the second most accepted, but still I don't see as many ok with that as they are with soaking.

As mentioned it can cause some heated debates within the hobby. Particularly for those that get left holding a card that was altered and it caused further damage after it was acquired.

Slinger
02-01-2018, 12:05 PM
Totally makes sense on all points. Appreciate the insight. Thank you!

kailes2872
02-01-2018, 03:08 PM
I used him on a card one time a couple of years ago. I had seen him mentioned in a thread here and had a '55 Koufax that had a stain on the front and back and was hoping for his help in getting them out. It was a decent card otherwise, maybe a 3 and, at the time, I was trying to figure out if I need to upgrade it. It was $75. When I got it back, quite honestly, I couldn't tell much of a difference.

I eventually got a PSA 6 of Koufax so that I had all HOFers in PSA 6 for the set. I obviously still have the other Koufax as I hold onto most if not all of my doubles.

I didn't realize the controversy at the time since I was simply trying to get a stain out and I know that most are okay with soaking so I thought it was no different. I obviously would avoid it in the future due first and foremost to the fact that it is frowned upon and because it didn't work great for me.

71buc
02-01-2018, 03:22 PM
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=185334

swarmee
02-01-2018, 04:00 PM
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=250171&highlight=towle

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=234837&highlight=towle