PDA

View Full Version : HOF Geography Trivia

darwinbulldog
01-31-2018, 01:49 PM
Outside of the United States and its territories (well, one particular territory), members of the Hall of Fame include natives of 8 other countries. 2 of the 8 countries produced only Hall of Famers elected as pioneers, executives, and/or umpires.

So, what are the 6 foreign countries that were the birthplaces of Hall of Fame players? And, as a bonus, what are the 2 countries that produced Hall of Famers exclusively in the non-player categories?

clydepepper
01-31-2018, 01:59 PM
In the year that Chipper got elected, I'll 'chip' away at the answer:

One of the two countries that contributed only non-players is England.

That's a guess and the best I can do with out using reference material...which I consider 'trivia PEDs'.

-

Sean
01-31-2018, 02:03 PM
Panama - Rod Carew
Canada - Fergie Jenkins
Dominican Republic - Pedro Martinez
Venezuela - Luis Aparicio
Cuba - Orlando Cepeda

I can't get the 6th

packs
01-31-2018, 02:04 PM
Well I know Cuba has got to be one. The Dominican Republic is another. I know Carew is from Panama. Not sure about the others. Wasn't Blyleven from Denmark or Holland?

Sean
01-31-2018, 02:05 PM
Panama - Rod Carew
Canada - Fergie Jenkins
Cuba - Orlando Cepeda

I can't get the 6th

Wait, wasn't Bert Blyleven born in the Netherlands? So I guess that's country six.

darwinbulldog
01-31-2018, 02:06 PM
Yep, that's all of 'em. Impressive.

There's still one other country with a non-player in the Hall.

oldjudge
01-31-2018, 02:07 PM
England is one of the non-player countries with Harry Wright.

clydepepper
01-31-2018, 02:10 PM
I realize you specified 'elected' and not 'selected', but Tony Perez was born in Cuba and, of course, Marichal and Guerrero hail from the Dominican.

clydepepper
01-31-2018, 02:12 PM
Panama - Rod Carew
Canada - Fergie Jenkins
Cuba - Orlando Cepeda

I can't get the 6th

ERROR! Will Robinson!

Cepeda is from Puerto Rico, not Cuba.

Butch7999
01-31-2018, 02:24 PM
Would've guessed Scotland as the other non-player country, but looked it up and that's wrong.
So don't nobody bother guessing Scotland.

Peter_Spaeth
01-31-2018, 02:31 PM
England is one of the non-player countries with Harry Wright.

I thought it was Chadwick. And I thought Cepeda was Puerto Rican not Cuban as well.

darwinbulldog
01-31-2018, 02:45 PM
I thought it was Chadwick. And I thought Cepeda was Puerto Rican not Cuban as well.

Yes, Cepeda is from P.R., but Perez (in addition to some of the Negro Leaguers) is from Cuba. Both Chadwick and Wright are from the U.K., England specifically, as is one lesser known member of the Hall.

And there's still the one other country that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Peter_Spaeth
01-31-2018, 02:48 PM
Could one of the Negro League HOFers have been from Venezuela?

darwinbulldog
01-31-2018, 02:52 PM
Could one of the Negro League HOFers have been from Venezuela?

Do you just mean because the birth records might be kind of spotty? There isn't one whose place of birth is listed officially as Venezuela.

Peter_Spaeth
01-31-2018, 02:56 PM
Do you just mean because the birth records might be kind of spotty? There isn't one whose place of birth is listed officially as Venezuela.

Just a guess. Mexico would seem an obvious possibility but can't think of anyone.

frankbmd
01-31-2018, 03:17 PM
Well I know Cuba has got to be one. The Dominican Republic is another. I know Carew is from Panama. Not sure about the others. Wasn't Blyleven from Denmark or Holland?

Wait, wasn't Bert Blyleven born in the Netherlands? So I guess that's country six.

Historically Holland is only part of the Netherlands, but the two names names are often considered interchangeable.

The obvious exception is the absence of netherlandaise sauce in my cook book.;)

Carry on.

Michael B
01-31-2018, 03:36 PM
Non players - United Kingdom and Germany
Players - Netherlands, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Venezuela, Panama and Canada.

darwinbulldog
01-31-2018, 07:54 PM
Indeed. And who, without looking of course, knows the name of the Deutschlander?

nat
01-31-2018, 08:08 PM
Chris Van Der Ahe?

darwinbulldog
01-31-2018, 08:52 PM
Chris Van Der Ahe?

Sufficiently Teutonic but not yet in the Hall

Michael B
01-31-2018, 08:52 PM
Indeed. And who, without looking of course, knows the name of the Deutschlander?

Barney Dreyfus. Germany was not a country at the time he was born. It was a federation of states.

darwinbulldog
01-31-2018, 09:01 PM
Fair point. And yes, Dreyfus.

Michael B
01-31-2018, 10:50 PM
Fair point. And yes, Dreyfus.

Glenn, I was not being picky. I was just pointing out that German Unification had not fully happened when he was born. Just a point of historical interest.

Steve D
02-01-2018, 12:05 AM
So, in a few years, Japan will obviously be added to the list (Ichiro Suzuki).

Also, it is very likely that France will join the list in a few years as well.

I'll take guesses as to who that likely future hall of famer is.

Steve

brianp-beme
02-01-2018, 12:24 AM

Steve

Unless Ichiro gets pegged as a steroid user.

Brian (you gotta have 'wa')

tjb1952tjb
02-01-2018, 12:58 AM
Historically Holland is only part of the Netherlands, but the two names names are often considered interchangeable.

The obvious exception is the absence of netherlandaise sauce in my cook book.;)

Carry on.

Frank, you never fail to crack me up. :D

Michael B
02-01-2018, 11:23 AM

Also, it is very likely that France will join the list in a few years as well.

I'll take guesses as to who that likely future hall of famer is.

Steve

There is no one born in France that could make it as a player. Bruce Bochy could make it as a manager but that may be close. Even though he won three Worlds Series and Manager of the Year once, his overall won/loss record is below .500 and his post season record is barely above .500.

darwinbulldog
02-01-2018, 12:42 PM
True, but in both the regular season and the postseason he has a better winning % than Connie Mack. And the more important point may be that every manager with 3 or more WS titles is in the Hall (except for Bochy so far).

Steve D
02-01-2018, 12:49 PM
There is no one born in France that could make it as a player. Bruce Bochy could make it as a manager but that may be close. Even though he won three Worlds Series and Manager of the Year once, his overall won/loss record is below .500 and his post season record is barely above .500.

Yep, that's who I was thinking of.

Steve

DaveW
02-01-2018, 03:26 PM
Just a guess. Mexico would seem an obvious possibility but can't think of anyone.

Any chance Fernando Valenzuela makes it someday?

clydepepper
02-01-2018, 03:36 PM
Any chance Fernando Valenzuela makes it someday?

For the effect they had on the global market , both Fernando and Hideo Nomo deserve some great recognition, though I don't think either are 'One-Percenters'.