PDA

View Full Version : Goudy Ruth and Gehrig advice......and a T206 lot that I hope to buy.

philliesfan
01-31-2018, 06:41 AM
A lady brought in Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig Goudy cards to a local shop. The guy deals mostly in coins and is not well versed in older cards so he usually calls me in to look at them to turnover to me for a quick profit. I may be able to get them both for about $1,200.00. They seem authentic and in PSA 2 range without creases, I will try to post scans later today. Is there anything I should specifically look for as for reprints? An is $600.00 each a good price?

She said she is coming back today with what she said were small cards and were described fitting the T206 description but in terrible condition. I will be waiting by the phone in hopes she does come in.

I am a small time collector so I don't know a lot about expensive cards so any advice is appreciated.

thanks,
Robert

Leon
01-31-2018, 06:55 AM
Well, it all depends on what the cards are and if they are real, as to if they are worth it. The vast majority of those types of walkins are reprints and fakes. If real the price seems very low for decent looking Ruth or Gehrig cards, unless they are strip cards. Then if the strips are nice it still might be low. But strips would be in that range. If there is any way you can get some pics and post them or send them to one of us pre war guys, who have been doing it a while, we might be able to help. One thing I immediately look for is perfect centering or frayed corners that have white in them. Which means it's new stock made to try to look old. And the percentage of perfectly centered cards is so small that if you see one in the wild :) there is a good chance it's not good Good luck

bbcard1
01-31-2018, 07:07 AM
What Leon said. If they are Goudeys, $600 for any full Ruth in a decent 1-2 range is a great price. IMO it's meh on the Gehrig.

philliesfan
01-31-2018, 07:12 AM
Thanks Leon. I saw the cards in person yesterday and they are Goudy's but I don't remember which year.......each is actually a different year, 1933 Ruth and 1934 for the Gehrig I think. I am going there again today and will take pics of the front and back. The cards have discoloration at the corners like corner photo mounts. Everything about them seems authentic, they even smell musty like from a basement. But what about the printing? The pixels / small dots used in printing? The 1933 trademark in a circle? Anything in those areas to look for?

The price is one that I offered him so he could use that in deciding what to offer the person.

Thanks again,
Robert

ullmandds
01-31-2018, 07:23 AM
i agree with whats been said...what pose was the gehrig? Portrait is more desirable then batting pose. If real I'd grab them and run. Post pics!

packs
01-31-2018, 07:33 AM
Probably worth paying that for both just to get the Ruth if real. I wouldn't even bother trying to haggle. The Gehrig would practically be free.

philliesfan
01-31-2018, 03:07 PM
Well, she decided to keep the Ruth and Gehrig for now. However, she still may sell the tobacco card so I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Robert