PDA

View Full Version : Huggins & Scott Auctions--Bidding Open! Closing Thursday 2/8/18

Orioles1954
01-29-2018, 03:42 PM
Hi Everyone -

Just a reminder that our 1,754 lot auction is now open for bidding. Auction ends on February 8th and all initial bids must be placed by 10:00pm Eastern on February 8th.

Best of luck and thanks for bidding!

https://www.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-bin/category.pl?mode=b

Bicem
01-30-2018, 09:44 PM
Great offering.

Lot #550 (https://www.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-bin/showitem.pl?itemid=24954&catid=388&lotno=550) depicts the opening of Crosley Field in 1912 vs the Cubs and not the 1919 World Series by the way.

kailes2872
01-31-2018, 05:37 PM
For a post war set collector, this is a dream auction! Great Football and Basketball as well.

I showed my wife the number of lots that I had bids on and I had my life threatened. Luckily, they are placeholders for the most part as I see where the value will be as we get closer to the end.

Probably my favorite AH - at least top 3
Thanks

Orioles1954
01-31-2018, 08:18 PM
For a post war set collector, this is a dream auction! Great Football and Basketball as well.

I showed my wife the number of lots that I had bids on and I had my life threatened. Luckily, they are placeholders for the most part as I see where the value will be as we get closer to the end.

Probably my favorite AH - at least top 3
Thanks

Thanks so much Kevin! Someone has to write those cards (points to myself)

Leon
02-07-2018, 08:48 PM
Thanks so much Kevin! Someone has to write those cards (points to myself)

Good luck to everyone tomorrow in the auction. Thanks again for letting our forum help spread the word, James and team!!

Orioles1954
02-08-2018, 06:58 AM
Good luck to everyone tomorrow in the auction. Thanks again for letting our forum help spread the word, James and team!!

Thanks Leon! Just a reminder that initial bids need to be in by 10:00pm Eastern. Good luck!

packs
02-08-2018, 03:25 PM
I've got a bid in. Hoping I either don't get outbid at all or get outbid before 10:00 pm so I can chase something else. Great items!

BeanTown
02-09-2018, 11:23 AM
Well, this one was interesting. I think it finally closed 3 hours after extending bidding started. With a 30 minute timer, small 100.00 increments, and two bidders using the same strategy, it provided hours of nail biting auction excitement!!!

h2oya311
02-09-2018, 12:12 PM
super thrilled to have picked up another Perkins Studio Cabinet of an Orioles player. This one was recently sold as part of a three Cabinet lot in the most recent REA Auction. It was not pictured in the catalog or online...I'm glad I was able to get it the second time around via the most recent H&S Auction.

I was looking at images of Baltimore players from 1892 to about 1898. I am pretty sure this is Joe Corbett (brother of heavyweight boxing champ James Corbett) who played for the Orioles from 1896-97, including a stellar Temple Cup performance in 1896 against the Cleveland Spiders.

Anyone else think this is Corbett? The best photo I could find is the attached small image from SABR, which is from his 1898-99 National Copper Plate issue.

Fred
02-09-2018, 12:49 PM
I need to learn the auction rules.... With H&S, the lot will close if there is 30 minutes of no bidding on it. I guess I'm still in the dark ages where the auction houses wouldn't close any lots until after they are all closed. Crappy lesson to learn, I missed out on a couple of good items because of that. Won't happen again.....

x2drich2000
02-09-2018, 01:03 PM
Derek, I was considering jumping into that Perkins cabinet last night as well but I wasn't sure how they ascertained that it is a ball player without being able to identify who it was. Perhaps it is just my lack of knowledge, but how do they know it is not just a random person off the street?

DJ

hangman62
02-09-2018, 01:17 PM
Simply John Doe...standing on a street corner. With a ball cap on !!!

h2oya311
02-09-2018, 01:45 PM
You are correct...it could be a joe schmoe...there are certainly examples of Perkins cabinets out there that fit the bill.

I have two other Perkins Studio Cabinets from the mid- 1890's of Orioles players...Hughie Jennings (my avatar) and Kid Gleason. The Jennings is interesting because it is the same image as that used on the 1894 Betz Studio Cabinet featuring the Orioles players (and Alpha Photo Engraving set). I still haven't made the full connection between the two studios yet - Betz and Perkins to see if they shared images.

Anyway, after looking at all the player images I could of Orioles players from that era, if it's not Joe Corbett, then it's probably Joe Schmoe.

RedsFan1941
02-09-2018, 01:51 PM
Derek, I was considering jumping into that Perkins cabinet last night as well but I wasn't sure how they ascertained that it is a ball player without being able to identify who it was. Perhaps it is just my lack of knowledge, but how do they know it is not just a random person off the street?

DJ

maybe Orioles 1954 will answer your question. I’m also interested in knowing.

Kawika
02-09-2018, 03:37 PM
I also thought of taking a shot at this nice looking cab but deferred. Written on the back was "Joseph Battin 1871 Cleveland" whom in no way looked like the young fellow on the front. Still figured he was a ballplayer. Will be interested to see if his identity is confirmed.