PDA

View Full Version : Hey bat guys...40ER, Edd Roush

RMorris
01-29-2018, 05:50 AM
Hi Net54. I have a beast of a piece of lumber and trying to determine if it is a store model or pro model. The bat is a Edd Roush, 40 ER, 34", 41 ozs, 1916 - 1931 label. There are several spike marks on the barrel and it has quite a bit of use to it. There is a lathe mark on the end of the barrel. The knob has 34" stamped from H&B and an A carved above the 34. I guess I have 2 main questions. 1) Did Roush ever use a 40ER as a gamer? 2) would a pro model have 34" on the knob? This bat falls in his ordering weight (40-50 ozs) according to H&B records. I see a few pro model bats authenticated online that look exactly like this one but I can't tell if there is a length stamp on the knob. It is hard to believe a 170lb. Guy would wield this monster. Sorry about no photos. My format is JPG and I keep getting errors when trying to upload even one pic. Thanks in advance for any info and a ballpark value would also be greatly appreciated.

khkco4bls
01-29-2018, 07:53 AM
A 40 ER of 40 BR (babe ruth )they're all store-bought models

Leon
01-29-2018, 07:54 AM
Hi Net54. I have a beast of a piece of lumber and trying to determine if it is a store model or pro model. The bat is a Edd Roush, 40 ER, 34", 41 ozs, 1916 - 1931 label. There are several spike marks on the barrel and it has quite a bit of use to it. There is a lathe mark on the end of the barrel. The knob has 34" stamped from H&B and an A carved above the 34. I guess I have 2 main questions. 1) Did Roush ever use a 40ER as a gamer? 2) would a pro model have 34" on the knob? This bat falls in his ordering weight (40-50 ozs) according to H&B records. I see a few pro model bats authenticated online that look exactly like this one but I can't tell if there is a length stamp on the knob. It is hard to believe a 170lb. Guy would wield this monster. Sorry about no photos. My format is JPG and I keep getting errors when trying to upload even one pic. Thanks in advance for any info and a ballpark value would also be greatly appreciated.

I don't know about the bat but .jpg is the best format for loading pictures. About 99% of the times there are problems it is with a phone picture or tablet picture being about 100x too big. If you right click on the scan and downsize it, it will work. This forum isn't best on a phone.....

RMorris
01-29-2018, 11:19 AM
Thx for the replies. This site is very helpful and always a great source.

Huysmans
01-29-2018, 11:21 AM
A 40 ER of 40 BR (babe ruth )they're all store-bought models

This is usually the case of course...

but there is at least one authenticated side-written Ruth 40 BR model.
... and possibly a second as well.

Mark
01-29-2018, 12:36 PM
This is usually the case of course...

but there is at least one authenticated side-written Ruth 40 BR model.
... and possibly a second as well.

I know of one BR model that has side writing for another player or players. Is there a Ruth 40 BR model that has side writing with Ruth's name ?

Dave Grob
01-29-2018, 03:10 PM
From some research on this topic I did years ago on this subject. The bat in question was a 33", 41oz Roush 40K with NO inch marks on the knob end.

Dave Grob

MGHPro
01-29-2018, 04:31 PM
Several Hand turned roush 40k have surfaced - that photo doesn't appear to be Kork IMO . I don't see the texture or depth of Kork and length of grip material seems too short .

From some research on this topic I did years ago on this subject. The bat in question was a 33", 41oz Roush 40K with NO inch marks on the knob end.

Dave Grob

Huysmans
01-30-2018, 06:01 AM
I know of one BR model that has side writing for another player or players. Is there a Ruth 40 BR model that has side writing with Ruth's name ?

Yes.
An example sold at auction last year with the dash-dot-dash configuration that was narrowed down to 1919-22 production due to the "C-3B" center brand. "39 Geo. H. Ruth" is specifically side-written. The bat came from the collection of hockey Hall of Famer Brett Hull and was subsequently owned by his father and fellow Hall member Bobby Hull.