PDA

View Full Version : Probstein Ebay Rollout

Yoda
01-24-2018, 10:17 AM
Right now Probstein has some amazing cards on Ebay BIN, including a T227 Cobb to die for. What I don't get is why these consignors don't use an AH that would normally wave any fees for cards of this ilk, unless Probstein has done the same just to get the publicity. Am I missing something?

ullmandds
01-24-2018, 10:52 AM
those "museum" pieces have been up atleast a few weeks.

bobbyw8469
01-24-2018, 10:53 AM
Museum prices suck.

Snapolit1
01-24-2018, 11:08 AM
Right now Probstein has some amazing cards on Ebay BIN, including a T227 Cobb to die for. What I don't get is why these consignors don't use an AH that would normally wave any fees for cards of this ilk, unless Probstein has done the same just to get the publicity. Am I missing something?

Even if AH doesn't charge seller a fee on front end, you are likely losing money on the buyer's commission on the back end. Capeesch?

x2drich2000
01-24-2018, 11:34 AM
Even if AH doesn't charge seller a fee on front end, you are likely losing money on the buyer's commission on the back end. Capeesch?

Not to mention also taking a risk of getting less than you want for the card.

Rhotchkiss
01-24-2018, 12:29 PM
His "museum cards" have been up for many weeks, including amazing, high graded versions of an E90-1 Joe Jackson, a T206 Cy young bare hand, an E102 Cobb, 48 Leaf Paige, 1917 Collins-McCarthy Joe Jackson (totally unreal this one), etc.

I just kind of assumed they belonged to him and that they were not consigned. I dont know why i think/thought that other than if those were my cards, I would not use Ebay to sell them. In my opinion, cards like these should be consigned to a very well respected auction house with a strong international presence.

I think that Ebay, especially PWCC, Probstein, etc., regardless of what you think of them, are ideal for cards that have wide appeal and are affordable (a relative term) to the masses (e.g., T206 red Cobb 5 vs same card in an 8). And yes, I think those with large ebay presences (like the aforementioned) will get higher prices for a card than a seller with less of a presence

Fballguy
01-24-2018, 02:46 PM
Surprised he didn't list auction style since his auctions always seem to end higher than everyone else's buy it nows. wink wink

I'm going to go toss my couch cushions to see if I can come up with 500K to buy that Tom Brady rookie. :rolleyes:

clydepepper
01-24-2018, 02:50 PM
probstein is dead to me.

Snapolit1
01-24-2018, 04:45 PM
Seems like the only sellers and AHs left on his board are a few identified saints, can not possibly do anything wrong, Mother Teresa as a card seller, and many others who are just the vile scum of the earth.

I’ve been reading pretty carefully here for a while. What is Probstein’s offense? Was he caught manufacturing fake cards? No. Does he sell people cards that are different than he advertises? Haven’t heard that. Does he post photoshpped Pics? Haven’t heard that. Does he take people’s money and not send cards? No. Seems to me all he has been charged with is his cards are overpriced and possibly shilled by his consignors. Which describes a lot of sellers. I have made a couple of offers in the last year and gotten some reasonable transactions. Guy is in a business to make as much money as he can. I get it. He’s not running the Red Cross or American Cancer Society.

I see some real unscrupulous criminals in this hobby. Trying to sell at inflated prices doesn’t get my gander up.

toledo_mudhen
01-25-2018, 02:53 AM
Seems like the only sellers and AHs left on his board are a few identified saints, can not possibly do anything wrong, Mother Teresa as a card seller, and many others who are just the vile scum of the earth.

I’ve been reading pretty carefully here for a while. What is Probstein’s offense? Was he caught manufacturing fake cards? No. Does he sell people cards that are different than he advertises? Haven’t heard that. Does he post photoshpped Pics? Haven’t heard that. Does he take people’s money and not send cards? No. Seems to me all he has been charged with is his cards are overpriced and possibly shilled by his consignors. Which describes a lot of sellers. I have made a couple of offers in the last year and gotten some reasonable transactions. Guy is in a business to make as much money as he can. I get it. He’s not running the Red Cross or American Cancer Society.

I see some real unscrupulous criminals in this hobby. Trying to sell at inflated prices doesn’t get my gander up.

I agree - most of the time Rick's cards go for more than I am willing to pay BUT every now and then I do get, what I feel is, a pretty decent deal. Shipping is always fast, packaging is great and I never question whether the card received is the same card I purchased. So not real sure what all the hubbub is? (hubbub is a good word - aint it?)

hangman62
01-25-2018, 05:09 AM
Probstein is Good

Museums are good..but closed due to Gov. shut down

Leon
01-25-2018, 06:24 AM
Probstein is Good

Museums are good..but closed due to Gov. shut down

Or the Sabbath :)
I agree, I like Probstein as a seller. I have bought some cards at very fair prices in his auctions.

clydepepper
01-25-2018, 06:46 AM
Or the Sabbath :)
I agree, I like Probstein as a seller. I have bought some cards at very fair prices in his auctions.

...but probstein is STILL dead to me!