PDA

View Full Version : 1916 Ware's distribution

nolemmings
01-23-2018, 01:47 PM
A year ago I discovered that Ware's began distributing its m101-4 cards (also called h801-9) on May 27, 1916, and thought I would share that info. I found a site that had several years of the New Rochelle Pioneer newspapers, from 1882-1919. The weekly paper was published on Saturdays, cost a nickle, and contained eight pages. The news coverage appeared very localized, likely because larger news was readily available in the New York city papers. Rarely was there any mention of the national or international news, and I saw not one box score or write-up of any big league games.

In 1916, Ware’s took out a fairly large ad (about 1/5 page) that always seemed to land on page five, bottom right corner. I searched every Saturday’s edition from April 1 through September, 1916 for ads promoting the cards, and my patience was rewarded exactly once. The May 27, 1916 ad shows that Ware’s Basement, like many other department store sponsors of m101 cards, were issued in series of twenty cards. The cost was three cents per series, no purchase required. The ad depicted but did not identify Ray Schalk’s card, and did not name any specific player who would be included. It confusingly states the promotion will begin “next Saturday” but then later says it starts May 27–the date the ad appeared. Here it is:
http://photos.imageevent.com/imoverhere/mym101s/backswares/large/ad19160527.JPG

pkaufman
01-23-2018, 02:30 PM
Love the research Todd ! Thanks for sharing this interesting information.

oldjudge
01-23-2018, 03:33 PM
It's interesting that the ad says the first group issued will contain the World Series star. That wouldn't be Alexander since Philly lost 4-1. It makes it seem like the first group was not 1-20.

nolemmings
01-23-2018, 04:26 PM
I wouldn't put too much stock in that ad language Jay. If they were planning to issue ten series of cards as stated, the easiest would be to issue them in numeric order, ala the other department stores. Plucking one card out of a later series just as an enticement for the first distribution is possible, but then they would have to have some system in mind to keep them straight for the next series and those thereafter, to make sure someone could acquire all 200 as advertised.

I suppose they could have identified someone as the one or greatest World Series star--Harry Hooper?-- but also could have been referencing Alexander, who won the only game for Philly. Of course, the ad could just be mistaken--remember that other advertisers touted Christy Mathewson as being in the set when he was not.

oldjudge
01-23-2018, 04:59 PM
Good point Todd, and thanks for posting the ad!

Leon
01-26-2018, 08:44 AM
Nice research. All it takes is that one morsel to keep us going.....whatever our collecting/buying/selling/trading niche is. We always want more :).....and many of us don't mind searching (a lot) as long as there is hope of another find.

A year ago I discovered that Ware's began distributing its m101-4 cards (also called h801-9) on May 27, 1916, and thought I would share that info. I found a site that had several years of the New Rochelle Pioneer newspapers, from 1882-1919. The weekly paper was published on Saturdays, cost a nickle, and contained eight pages. The news coverage appeared very localized, likely because larger news was readily available in the New York city papers. Rarely was there any mention of the national or international news, and I saw not one box score or write-up of any big league games.

In 1916, Ware’s took out a fairly large ad (about 1/5 page) that always seemed to land on page five, bottom right corner. I searched every Saturday’s edition from April 1 through September, 1916 for ads promoting the cards, and my patience was rewarded exactly once. The May 27, 1916 ad shows that Ware’s Basement, like many other department store sponsors of m101 cards, were issued in series of twenty cards. The cost was three cents per series, no purchase required. The ad depicted but did not identify Ray Schalk’s card, and did not name any specific player who would be included. It confusingly states the promotion will begin “next Saturday” but then later says it starts May 27–the date the ad appeared. Here it is:
http://photos.imageevent.com/imoverhere/mym101s/backswares/large/ad19160527.JPG

nolemmings
01-26-2018, 09:45 AM
Thanks Leon. You're right about the research end of these collectible treats. It is almost as rewarding and certainly less expensive than landing the cards themselves. And then there's the related pieces, like this invoice, that can help explain the context:
https://photos.imageevent.com/imoverhere/mym101s/backswares/huge/wares_invoice.jpg

nolemmings
01-26-2018, 09:49 AM
Still, ain't nothing like the real thing baby:
https://photos.imageevent.com/imoverhere/mym101s/backswares/huge/img225.jpg