PDA

View Full Version : Help With Yankees Pennant

pitchingace77
01-22-2018, 06:08 PM
I just picked up this Pennant for what I thought was a fair price. I have tried to find others on eBay but couldn't find any that matched the colors of this Pennant. I'm not sure how rare it could be or if it could be fake. Any help is appreciated.

https://i.imgur.com/azpPOpdl.jpg

thetahat
01-22-2018, 06:31 PM
It's clearly legit, nice pickup. Pennants from this time period were known to come in a variety of colors, even those which were unrelated to team. In fact there are some plain Yankees Uncle Sam pennants on green felt. It's not something you see every day, maybe once or twice a year at most on eBay. Scroll back a page or two in the "pennants" thread and you'll see a 1960 version with different logo ...

Duluth Eskimo
01-22-2018, 06:46 PM
It's authentic and not easy to find. Less popular than a World Series champion year, but still popular. I would say $150 in ExMt / NRMt condition, but I see this one is heavily wrinkled and stained on the tip. I would say $75 ish for this one. Still a very nice pennant from a great team. Nice pick up.

Duluth Eskimo
01-22-2018, 06:53 PM
Here is a different version. Yours is made of felt, this version is made of woven fabric which was popular during a short time frame in the 60's. Both are authentic.

pitchingace77
01-22-2018, 07:02 PM
Thanks a lot for all of your help and the information. I got it for $50 so I guess I did pretty good.

ooo-ribay
01-22-2018, 08:09 PM
Thanks a lot for all of your help and the information. I got it for $50 so I guess I did pretty good.

I think you did great. Jason is super knowledgable but I might add $25 to his $75 estimate, being that it’s Yankees.

Duluth Eskimo
01-22-2018, 09:35 PM
If it's not terribly faded or soiled at the end, $100 is realistic. Problem is it looks like it's been washed. Those wrinkles are a tell tale sign. Try ironing it on the back and see if some of those wrinkles will come out.

yankeesjetsfan
01-23-2018, 08:02 AM
Yeah, I am drooling over those Yankee pennants. Nice grab.

Mike

Fballguy
01-23-2018, 11:24 AM
How exactly would you wash a pennant? Just for kicks I threw a cheap travel pennant in the washing machine once and it came out as a blank felt pennant. Last time I tried to wash a pennant.

perezfan
01-23-2018, 03:27 PM
I think it’s worth $100 to $125. Many of those wrinkles would iron out from the reverse side, and it will look great. Not that it’s terrible, as-is.

As for washing... I’ve never had any luck either. It’s very possible that this Pennant was simply purchased on a rainy day, or somehow got very wet.

A nice pickup for $50 :)

pitchingace77
01-23-2018, 09:39 PM
Thanks for all the help. What is the best way to go about ironing it to get out some of the wrinkles?

perezfan
01-24-2018, 12:33 AM
Place the pennant face-down on a plain white sheet or white pillow case, on top of ironing board or other flat surface. Iron with medium heat, making direct contact with the reverse side ONLY. Keep the iron moving, and don't hold it in one place for more than a second or two.

Spritzing with light steam while ironing might help to eliminate more of the wrinkles. Don't over-iron or get too aggressive... you don't want to burn it, as the red felt can turn a darker tone. It may not come out perfect, but should look a lot better.

Best of luck, and be sure to post the results!

mcgwirecom
01-24-2018, 04:00 AM
How exactly would you wash a pennant? Just for kicks I threw a cheap travel pennant in the washing machine once and it came out as a blank felt pennant. Last time I tried to wash a pennant.

Yeah be careful! I tried to wash an old Athletics pennant from the 40's and it came out a pile of felt! that was on gentle with woolite!