PDA

View Full Version : The Crossover Experiment

STL1944
01-21-2018, 03:22 PM
I am towards the end of collecting a PSA 1953 Bowman set. It has been a long road (four years so far)... but that is another story for another time.

Along the way of putting together the set together, I have acquired two BVG cards (see below). I do not have a PSA version of the Durocher so that will be the card for the set (I have a really nice Reese so I will probably sell or trade this one).

I am going to go ahead and send them in their BVG cases and will report back here are on the results.

swarmee
01-21-2018, 03:54 PM
What are you going to list as Min Grade that you'll accept from PSA? The Durocher may get hit with a (ST) qualifier. It may not since it's so common on those Bowman cards, but it's a bigger one than most. Would you take a 7(ST) which would then equate to a 5 on the registry? Are you going to put No Qualifiers and possibly get a 3 or 4?
If you send that one in and require a PSA 7.5, I believe it will easily be returned to you in the BVG holder.
The Reese is beautiful and may be worth cracking out to achieve even higher of a grade than a 5.5.

GasHouseGang
01-21-2018, 04:04 PM
The Peewee may come back the same (hard to tell from the pics), but the Durocher is stained on the back and probably won't come back as a straight 7.5.

STL1944
01-21-2018, 04:40 PM
Great points about the Durocher. I ended up putting it as a min grade of a 6 with no qualifiers. We will see what they come back with...

swarmee
04-14-2018, 04:46 AM
Have the cards returned yet?

STL1944
04-14-2018, 06:06 AM
So far my experiment has been one in patience. It took PSA over two months to check the cards in... now waiting for them to be actually graded...

As soon as I get them back, I will post them here...

MCoxon
04-16-2018, 05:40 PM
The Peewee may come back the same (hard to tell from the pics), but the Durocher is stained on the back and probably won't come back as a straight 7.5.

I agree on the Pee Wee coming back the same - seems like great corners and good centering, even with some snow; all said, a very good looking BVG 5 so I hope it would cross for you.

(I also have a non-PSA Pee Wee, an SGC 80, which I may cross over at some point)