PDA

View Full Version : OT: is chess a sport?

Peter_Spaeth
01-20-2018, 04:58 PM
I think not, but then again Sports Illustrated put Bobby Fischer on its cover, and I have seen chess players included in multi-sport sets. PS since this is a card forum, here are some chess cards, including a Fischer and a Karpov from mutli-sport sets.

mattsey9
01-20-2018, 05:02 PM
I think not, but then again Sports Illustrated put Bobby Fischer on its cover,

They put Kathy Ireland on the cover...

Agreed, not a sport. But it's a game where you need to be a genius to compete with the likes of Fischer.

Sean
01-20-2018, 05:17 PM
It's a competition, like a spelling bee.

darwinbulldog
01-20-2018, 05:37 PM
Wonderful game, but no, I wouldn't consider it a sport. Certainly it's physically demanding at the highest levels, but that's true of pretty much everything.

Interesting bit of trivia: Brennan's restaurant in the French Quarter is located on the site of what was Paul Morphy's home. Morphy was Bobby Fisher's choice for greatest chess player ever.

rainier2004
01-20-2018, 05:38 PM
Not a sport, its a game...beautiful game at that.

barrysloate
01-20-2018, 05:47 PM
I was just playing out some games from the current 2018 Tata Steel Chess Tournament before I read this post. Incredibly complicated and beautiful game, but probably not a sport. BTW, part of a world class chess player's regimen to prepare for a tournament is to get into top physical shape, as many games last four or five hours and demand great stamina. But I still feel it is a game.

HercDriver
01-20-2018, 05:58 PM
I have my own personal rule. To be a sport, it has to have a score. Most points, least points (golf), fastest, highest, longest, whatever. Something measurable. Everything else is entertainment, that is being judged. Like gymnastics. Ice skating. Equestrian events. Gymnastics would be a sport if they two girls were each on one end of the balance beam and had to push the other one off. My daughter is a horse jumper, and I hate the judging. I think they should just keep moving the jumps up. Or joust. So does that make chess a sport? Probably not, since you wear a tie.

bauce
01-20-2018, 06:00 PM
I have my own personal rule. To be a sport, it has to have a score. Most points, least points (golf), fastest, highest, longest, whatever. Something measurable. Everything else is entertainment, that is being judged. Like gymnastics. Ice skating. Equestrian events. Gymnastics would be a sport if they two girls were each on one end of the balance beam and had to push the other one off. My daughter is a horse jumper, and I hate the judging. I think they should just keep moving the jumps up. Or joust. So does that make chess a sport? Probably not, since you wear a tie.

Score: 1-0 or 0-1 or draw is not a score?

bgar3
01-20-2018, 06:26 PM
Henry Chadwick covered chess and wrote books about it along with his baseball stuff. I know that doesn’t make it a sport, I just thought it was interesting.

HercDriver
01-20-2018, 06:36 PM
Yep...that's why I said it sort of could be a sport. But not if you are wearing a suit. That's like a sub-rule. My kids are also familiar with my "pet rule." If I open the door to let it out, and it comes back, it's a pet. If not, it's an animal and doesn't belong in my house.

bauce
01-20-2018, 06:53 PM
It's funny how important sports events are equated to a chess game.

Peter_Spaeth
01-20-2018, 06:58 PM
Yep...that's why I said it sort of could be a sport. But not if you are wearing a suit. That's like a sub-rule. My kids are also familiar with my "pet rule." If I open the door to let it out, and it comes back, it's a pet. If not, it's an animal and doesn't belong in my house.

They used to wear pretty snazzy outfits to play tennis.

Jay Wolt
01-20-2018, 07:01 PM
N162 Goodwin Champions Chess card

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/K-4AAOSwdjdaPIM-/s-l1600.jpg

tedzan
01-20-2018, 08:04 PM
In 1888, Chess was considered a "sport"......

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan77/images/14starsN162chessbike7xx_1.jpg

And, you had to be all gussied-up to play Tennis......

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan77/images/12starsN162tennjockoarm.jpg

TED Z

T206 Reference (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=237816)

RedsFan1941
01-20-2018, 08:31 PM
sports illustrated argument holds no weight

icollectDCsports
01-20-2018, 08:58 PM
sports illustrated argument holds no weight

It says they are bowlers. Right on the cover.

Stampsfan
01-21-2018, 12:29 AM
I've heard the same arguments about golf. Is it a game or is it a sport?

brianp-beme
01-21-2018, 12:51 AM
I have always liked pedestrian sports, such as competing as a pedestrian. And this professional walker sports a nifty walking stick and awesome mustache.

Brian

iwantitiwinit
01-21-2018, 05:00 AM
I've heard the same arguments about golf. Is it a game or is it a sport?

Based on all the aches and pains I have after each round I'm hoping golf is a sport.

bobbyw8469
01-21-2018, 05:31 AM
Not a sport. It's a game. Just like poker.

Fred
01-21-2018, 08:42 AM
Chess = intellectual sport

BradH
01-21-2018, 12:22 PM
Brian - I love the T218 set and have a copy of the Edward Weston card on my shelf at work, next to several baseball cards. It's a conversation starter.

When people ask about it I tell them that the back of his card has probably the most impressive stats I've ever read on a card. Those numbers are amazing!

Fred
01-21-2018, 12:49 PM
Ok Brad, now you should post the back of the card.....

rainier2004
01-21-2018, 01:58 PM
Ok Brad, now you should post the back of the card.....

Lets see it...

Peter_Spaeth
01-21-2018, 02:50 PM
It's right there in post 18. :confused:

rainier2004
01-21-2018, 05:42 PM
It's right there in post 18. :confused:

Didn't make the connection. Walking that far aint no thing...try doing the wonderland trail in under 24 hours.

Arazi4442
01-21-2018, 07:09 PM
I would agree that it's very difficult to classify chess as a sport, but that doesn't mean you can't admire the work ethic, talent, etc. of the best players in the world.
Personally, I'm a very unskilled amateur but enjoy learning about some of the all-time greats - just like baseball, basketball, football, boxing, hockey and all the rest.

Snapolit1
01-22-2018, 06:56 AM
A bit OT, but does anyone remember in the late 80s where all of a sudden everyone and his mother and great aunt were playing backgammon? Everywhere I looked. Everyone was playing. Tournaments. People were taking lessons.
I haven’t seen a backgammon board pulled out now in decades. (Obviously millions of people around the world love the game.)

Eric72
01-22-2018, 11:30 AM
These days, there are so-called E-sports. This often involves people playing video games...for an audience...with television coverage.

If that qualifies as a “sport” then so, too, would chess.

Just my opinion.

Peter_Spaeth
01-22-2018, 12:33 PM
These days, there are so-called E-sports. This often involves people playing video games...for an audience...with television coverage.

If that qualifies as a “sport” then so, too, would chess.

Just my opinion.

Never were the words truer, "You are all a lost generation."

packs
01-22-2018, 12:38 PM
Boomers created video games.

Anyway, I like that E-sports became a thing. Not everyone is blessed with athletic ability or an athletic body but everyone and anyone can learn how to play a video game. I can't think of a better way to make a living either.

Leon
01-23-2018, 08:50 AM
Boomers created video games.

Anyway, I like that E-sports became a thing. Not everyone is blessed with athletic ability or an athletic body but everyone and anyone can learn how to play a video game. I can't think of a better way to make a living either.

Personally I can't stand video games but know I am about the only one that doesn't like them. Chess isn't a sport per se' but it is an intellectual game.

steve B
01-23-2018, 09:24 AM
Does it change anything if Weston took performance enhancing stuff?

"Weston spent 8 years touring Europe, starting in 1876 in England where he challenged England's racewalking champion to a 24-hour, 115 mile ultramarathon. The Englishman quit 14 hours and 65.6 miles into the race, but Weston walked the full 24 hours and covered 109.5 miles. His performance caused a bit of a controversy when he later admitted to having been chewing coca leaf throughout much of the race."
(From his Wikipedia entry)

Also interesting is that the card shows a cross country walk, but it's not mentioned in either his entry, or a list of cross country walkers and runners. But that walk did happen.
https://www.utne.com/community/walking-across-america-ze0z1503zken

steve B
01-23-2018, 09:27 AM
Never were the words truer, "You are all a lost generation."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN5zw04WxCc

:D:D:D

brianp-beme
01-23-2018, 11:09 AM
Does it change anything if Weston took performance enhancing stuff?

"Weston spent 8 years touring Europe, starting in 1876 in England where he challenged England's racewalking champion to a 24-hour, 115 mile ultramarathon. The Englishman quit 14 hours and 65.6 miles into the race, but Weston walked the full 24 hours and covered 109.5 miles. His performance caused a bit of a controversy when he later admitted to having been chewing coca leaf throughout much of the race."
(From his Wikipedia entry)

Weston is proof that a person can walk and chew a natural stimulant at the same time.

Brian

Peter_Spaeth
01-23-2018, 09:15 PM
On a related front, is a jockey an athlete? Or a race car driver?

pokerplyr80
01-23-2018, 11:12 PM

I don't consider chess a sport. I do think horse and car racing are sports, but participating in them doesn't make an athlete. It's hard to say exactly where the line is, but I wouldn't count sports like golf or bowling either among those whose participants should be considered athletes.

drcy
01-24-2018, 01:06 AM
Chess isn't a sport, but neither is nuclear physics, brain surgery or building the Great Pyramid of Giza-- so not being a sport isn't necessarily a knock.

MooseDog
01-24-2018, 07:42 AM

I work with jockeys and most definitely yes. If you disagree, try this exercise sometime...balance on your toes and then squat so your body is slightly forward, but you are still not touching the ground with your hands. Now hold this for two full minutes, about the length of the Kentucky Derby.

I'd also give props to drivers, but back in the 1970s their performance on the Superstars show left something to be desired. However I'd guess with advances in nutrition and mental stuff the current crop of drivers is probably in better shape than in the past, like with most things.

packs
01-24-2018, 08:08 AM
If driving is a sport, we're all athletes.

Peter_Spaeth
01-24-2018, 09:23 AM
I don't consider chess a sport. I do think horse and car racing are sports, but participating in them doesn't make an athlete. It's hard to say exactly where the line is, but I wouldn't count sports like golf or bowling either among those whose participants should be considered athletes.

Perhaps the fact that golfers and bowlers wear street clothes contributes to that perception?

packs
01-24-2018, 09:32 AM
At least in golf they make the players walk the course. I wish they made them carry their own bags too, but what can you do. Anyone who's ever walked a course with their bag on their back knows you've got to be in some kind of shape to do it.

frankbmd
01-24-2018, 09:32 AM
Perhaps the fact that golfers and bowlers wear street clothes contributes to that perception?

You're overlooking proper golf attire and bowling shirts, but ..........

Athletes drinking beer while golfing and bowling would be considered antithetical athletes I suppose.

As would my participation in the 1976 Olympic trials as a sailor.

ALR-bishop
01-24-2018, 09:43 AM
What about eating 72 hot dogs in 10 minutes ?

Peter_Spaeth
01-24-2018, 09:46 AM

I don't think Frank could do that. Not in his bowling shirt anyhow.

Paul S
01-24-2018, 05:07 PM
That takes some guts.

Leon
01-27-2018, 07:34 AM
I don't think Frank could do that. Not in his bowling shirt anyhow.

I have had lunch with Frank. I don't think he could eat more than 60 hot dogs in 10 minutes. (on a good day!!)

frankbmd
01-27-2018, 09:12 AM
I have had lunch with Frank. I don't think he could eat more than 60 hot dogs in 10 minutes. (on a good day!!)

Leon,

You know full well that we ran out of esophageal lubricant (mustard) that day.:D

When your spouse tells you to "take a hike", they are merely encouraging your pedestrian training.:cool:

I refer to my spouse as a NASCAR driver. Even though she has never driven a car with a large number on it, she always wins the race to the next exit.;):eek:

My Olympic career started and ended in the "Windy City" in 1972.

Hanging over the gunnel (also called hiking) of one of these puppies for two hours is not for the faint of heart either.

The reward for my participation was multifunctional. Not only did I become equipped for cleaning fishing, but it also was a useful deterrent for my pedestrian training in Chicago and it also came in handy for opening beer bottles before the days of twist off caps. I never used it to spread the mustard, but I could have.:eek:

Peter_Spaeth
01-27-2018, 03:40 PM
When I saw the pic I assumed it was your operating room instrument of choice.

tedzan
01-31-2018, 02:08 AM
Double post.

tedzan
01-31-2018, 02:09 AM
In 1888, Chess was considered a "sport"......
http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan77/images/14starsN162chessbike7xx_1.jpg

Competition is the name of this game, and that's good enough for me......I consider Chess a "sport"......I love the game.

Incidentally, Chess has been recognized as a sport by the International Olympic Committee since the start of this Century.

TED Z

T206 Reference (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=237816)

tschock
01-31-2018, 06:29 AM

Race car driving is more physically demanding than some of our more 'accepted sports'. So in that regards, I would consider it a sport. Some interesting stats:

http://edition.cnn.com/services/opk/driven/news.htm

EvilKing00
02-01-2018, 05:40 AM
They put Kathy Ireland on the cover...:

Agreed, not a sport. But it's a game where you need to be a genius to compete with the likes of Fischer.

Kathy ireland is a sport :D

JoeDfan
02-01-2018, 09:59 AM
Back when I was in my early twenties, I used to compete in chess tournaments. I was never at the Bobby Fisher level, but I got to the level where I played some of the guys who did play Fisher.
These were TOUGH, grueling, mentally exhausting matches. You had to concentrate for HOURS.

Maybe it is not a sport, but I sure have plenty of respect for those guys that still do it.

barrysloate
03-28-2018, 04:18 AM
If you're a fan of the SPORT of chess, Fabiano Caruana yesterday won the 2018 Candidates Tournament and will be the first American since Bobby Fischer to compete for the world championship. He will play Magnus Carlsen in London in November for the title.

Congratulations Fabi!

Buythatcard
03-28-2018, 07:00 AM
Sport: an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Moving a chess piece can be considered a physical exertion for some. It definitely involves a skill. It takes 2 individuals to compete. So, I think Chess can be considered a sport.

SAllen2556
03-28-2018, 07:17 AM
My rule: if I can do it relatively well while drunk it's not a sport.

Billiards: not a sport.
Bowling: not.
Chess: not.
Darts: not.
Poker: not.
Softball: not.
Golf: not.
Sex: before 40, not. After 40, yes. ;)

bbcard1
03-28-2018, 07:32 AM
chess boxing is a sport IMO

https://youtu.be/kK5TQSKmS3o?t=3m5s

oldjudge
03-28-2018, 09:23 AM
Personally I can't stand video games but know I am about the only one that doesn't like them. Chess isn't a sport per se' but it is an intellectual game.

+1 on both

Frank A
03-28-2018, 10:03 AM
I raced cars for many years and I don't consider it a sport. It's a mental game. Learning how much you can push the car, thinking how can I pass this guy etc. Not very tough on the body, but on the mind.

mark evans
03-28-2018, 10:09 AM
If you're a fan of the SPORT of chess, Fabiano Caruana yesterday won the 2018 Candidates Tournament and will be the first American since Bobby Fischer to compete for the world championship. He will play Magnus Carlsen in London in November for the title.

Congratulations Fabi!

Thanks, Barry. As a patzer myself, I look forward to the championship match.

Mark

orly57
03-28-2018, 10:21 AM
My rule: if I can do it relatively well while drunk it's not a sport.

Billiards: not a sport.
Bowling: not.
Chess: not.
Darts: not.
Poker: not.
Softball: not.
Golf: not.
Sex: before 40, not. After 40, yes. ;)

I have a similar rule of thumb. If you can do it with a cigarette in your mouth, it isn't a sport. I've heard the arguments on car racing, but I just don't see it.

Fred
03-28-2018, 11:45 AM
Oh my goodness, how did this get resurrected? :p

Is Checkers a SPORT? How about Monopoly? I suppose those games require far less skill than Chess, but isn't the athleticism of playing those games about the same as chess? Some chess games last days or longer. Ever play a full game of Monopoly in less than an hour?

Stampsfan
03-28-2018, 02:11 PM
My rule: if I can do it relatively well while drunk it's not a sport...

You need to come up to Canada and play in an old-timers hockey tournament. ;)

And don't you know, when you're drunk, everything is better. I'm better looking, smarter, thinner, more confident, and just better with the ladies...

barrysloate
03-28-2018, 03:11 PM
Oh my goodness, how did this get resurrected? :p

Is Checkers a SPORT? How about Monopoly? I suppose those games require far less skill than Chess, but isn't the athleticism of playing those games about the same as chess? Some chess games last days or longer. Ever play a full game of Monopoly in less than an hour?

I resurrected it to mention that Caruana is going to play for the world championship, but the thread took a different direction. That happens.:(

bauce
03-29-2018, 03:25 PM
I resurrected it to mention that Caruana is going to play for the world championship, but the thread took a different direction. That happens.:(

He's the qualifier? Good luck to him!