PDA

View Full Version : American Indian Baseball Player Poster Project - Help with Some Player Images Needed

Dewey2007
01-18-2018, 10:42 PM
I decided to start a project of trying to put together a 18x24 (or larger) poster of some American Indian baseball players that I hope to eventually print and frame. Being of American Indian ancestry and a baseball fan I thought this would be a cool project. I thought this might be one sports related item my wife would let me put up in our place!

If anyone has non-baseball card images of the following players (Bill Phyle, Louis LeRoy, Ed Summers, Moses Yellow Horse, Jack Aker, or Gene Locklear) they'd be willing to share I'd much appreciate it. If you can scan and send a jpg of the photo in the largest size digital file possible to (deweystgermaine AT gmail DOT com) that would be great.

I am going to look for a free online site that will help me create the poster once I get enough images. I have never tried anything like this so I'll see how it turns out.

prewarsports
01-18-2018, 11:40 PM
We have sold some nice Moses Yellow Horse in the past at RMY Auctions (feel free to use the ones from the site) and I have one in my personal collection but it is smaller, however you would be free to use that as well and I can get you a scan.

Rhys

RMYAuctions.com

prewarsports
01-18-2018, 11:42 PM
This one is my favorite, I can probably find a way to get the scan for you.

https://rmyauctions.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=3018

Dewey2007
01-18-2018, 11:51 PM
Thanks Rhys. That is a nice photo.

RUKen
01-19-2018, 07:14 AM
I decided to start a project of trying to put together a 18x24 (or larger) poster of some American Indian baseball players that I hope to eventually print and frame.

Here's an obscure player who wasn't on your list. Ed Pinnance was a Canadian First Nation ballplayer, born on Walpole Island, Ontario, who pitched in a couple of games for the Philadelphia Athletics late in the 1903 season (making him a teammate of Chief Charles Albert Bender).

RUKen
01-19-2018, 08:53 AM
Here's another obscure player--Lou Bruce, a Mohawk originally from upstate New York who appeared in 30 games with the Athletics in 1904, mostly as an outfielder but also as a pitcher. He went to spring training with them in 1905 (when I suspect this picture was taken), but did not make the team that year.

RUKen
01-19-2018, 09:18 AM
Jim Bluejacket had a Shawnee mother and an Irish-American father. He pitched for the Brooklyn Brookfeds/Tip-Tops of the Federal League in 1914-1915, and a few games for the Cincinnati Reds in 1916.

Dewey2007
01-19-2018, 09:34 AM
Thanks for Bruce and Bluejacket images. I have one of Bluejacket already but not one of Bruce.

Dewey
01-19-2018, 11:44 AM

What an incredible photo.

Dewey2007
01-24-2018, 09:14 PM
Here goes a working draft of the poster project I've been doing with the help of PosterMyWall.com. I've had to arrange the pics kinda like a puzzle based on the size and shape of the images. Let me know what you think. Any feedback is appreciated.

slidekellyslide
01-24-2018, 09:56 PM
Dewey, that looks great. Is there any rhyme or reason to the players you picked to put on the poster? I have some images of Native American players. I collect the Nebraska Indians team, but have also over the years accumulated many Native American team postcards and images.

PS I know Joba's dad. He's a regular around my local minor league ballpark.

Dewey2007
01-24-2018, 10:34 PM
Thanks Dan. It was a combination of things of how I picked the players on the poster. The main one was that they had to have played in the major leagues. Out of these I picked the ones that are most well known obviously like Sockalexis, Thorpe, Bender, Myers, Reynolds, and the more current players. I also picked players based on the quality of the image I could find like the Moses Yellow Horse one Rhys directed me to. Lastly, I tried to include players that I could find a direct link to their Native heritage. I used Ancestry.com to confirm some players names on the Indian Census Rolls that they have on their site from 1885-1940.

There were a number of players that I couldn't confirm like Mack and Zack Wheat for instance. That's not to say they don't have Native blood but I just couldn't find them on tribal rolls at this time so I'll have to keep doing research.

If you have any images you'd like to share towards this project that would be great since I might do a second poster if I can get enough images and include some players that I couldn't fit on this one.

Dewey, that looks great. Is there any rhyme or reason to the players you picked to put on the poster? I have some images of Native American players. I collect the Nebraska Indians team, but have also over the years accumulated many Native American team postcards and images.

PS I know Joba's dad. He's a regular around my local minor league ballpark.