PDA

View Full Version : A chance to get a card you really like but...

vintagebaseballcardguy
01-15-2018, 01:43 PM
How do you guys feel about cards that have a really nice (say ex) front but have a flaw on the reverse (like a small mark or small piece of tape) that brings the technical grade down to a 2 and this ex looking card that is technically a 2 could be had for about the price of a 3?

I would add that it is a nicer looking specimen than what I could usually get, thanks to the little issue on the reverse.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

docpatlv
01-15-2018, 02:19 PM
Small marks don't bother me much, and tape is okay as long as it's small. What bothers me the most is significant paper loss, if it's a small spot, I'm okay with that. I would rather have a small pen mark than a small loss of paper (especially if it effects the text).

TheNightmanCometh
01-15-2018, 04:35 PM
If it's a card I want, any kind of markings on the card are an immediate disqualifier, but that's just me.

mrmopar
01-15-2018, 06:56 PM
I'd rather have a small flaw on the back if the front was nice and I don't really deal that much in really expensive or rare cards, so preferably most of my cards are not going to have any serious flaws that hurt the eye appeal.

However, for something very old, rare and/or expensive, I could live with a back flaw that kept the price within reach.

Not quite a perfect example, but I did buy a 33 Goudey Ruth with a small pinhole in it because I have always wanted that card but couldn't justify spending the money that a clean copy of similar condition would have cost me. The pinhole bothers me some because you can't miss it, but it is small and the rest of the card looks great otherwise. I was able to get it in my $ comfort zone as well.

jasonc
01-16-2018, 03:50 AM
I've picked up some Ex looking fronts with small paper loss on the back, or a little bit of writing, etc., that were graded low. You can get a great deal on them, and with a T206 with a little paper loss on the back which affects the "50" on "350 subjects" on back, or something like this, I don't think it matters IMO.

darkhorse9
01-16-2018, 09:24 AM
I might be weird, but when it comes to many vintage cards I almost prefer them to have some "damage"

I've seen some T206 in mint condition and they just look completely wrong to me. I've only known them with rounded corners and wear. Same with 1933 Goudey's. A mint one would look strange to me.

That being said...anything post war, writing is an automatic non-starter for me.