PDA

View Full Version : Finding Old Money from a Cashing a Check

rgpete
01-13-2018, 07:37 PM
Since direct deposit and other factors it would be next to impossible to get a Federal Reserve Redeemable in Gold Note after cashing a check now at a bank. I went thru my bills after cashing my checks during the 80's and saving them ,not all in Redeemeble in Gold

ALR-bishop
01-14-2018, 08:11 AM
I have several gold and silver redeemable notes, none of which are actually redeemable for gold or silver anymore. They are good for the face value as currency, and the golds used to have a significantly higher collectible premium value than the silvers when I checked a few years ago. Not sure what the collectible premiums are these days.

rgpete
01-14-2018, 06:59 PM
I have several gold and silver redeemable notes, none of which are actually redeemable for gold or silver anymore. They are good for the face value as currency, and the golds used to have a significantly higher collectible premium value than the silvers when I checked a few years ago. Not sure what the collectible premiums are these days.

The collectible premium is not much above the face value for the average circulated notes

steve B
01-14-2018, 10:05 PM
That one would probably be around $30 on Ebay, maybe a bit more.
hopefully the sold items search link works, I haven't tried it before.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1928-B-US-20-Bill-Note-1928B-FRN-Paper-Money-Twenty-Dollar-Bill-Jackson-Gold/272905232503?hash=item3f8a6b6077:g:fngAAOSwehZZ9G5 F

packs
01-15-2018, 09:07 AM
One of my glamorous responsibilities at work is to sort through all this insane change we get from various machines we administer, like laundry and vending machines. My office literally has probably 10K in quarters in various sacks that I slowly get around to rolling and depositing.

On rare occasions I'll come across silver quarters mixed in with the rest and always switch them out for modern quarters. Most of the silver ones are worth a few bucks each, which beats 25 cents.

JustinD
01-16-2018, 02:09 PM
I remember as a kid fresh out of high school I worked as a teller. I would find many older bills and change. I did not have the income to take them as I spent every dime of those hundred dollar paychecks.

What I did do was set them aside in my drawer for an extremely nice collector who stopped by to cash his paycheck in the drive thru weekly, and who always had a smile and a thank you. Good lesson for the grumps, lol

I remember handing him 50 and 100 gold and silver notes.