PDA

View Full Version : 365 Days of Roberto Clemente

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

docpatlv
12-31-2017, 08:51 AM
As a player collector, I have enjoyed seeing threads devoted to one person's passion for collecting a particular player, such as David W's Lou Brock collection. It surprises me that we don't see more threads like this, so I thought I'd start one on my favorite post-war player to collect.

Why Roberto? When I started collecting in the mid 1970s, I traded cards with other kids at school during recess. I remember a classmate bragging that he had a Roberto Clemente card, but I had no idea who he was. When my Dad came home from work that day, I asked him if Roberto was a good player. I remember him telling me how he was a great all-around player and that he died in a tragic plane crash. I tried several times to trade for that Clemente, but I was never able to pry it out of my classmate's hands. A few years later, at my first card show, my Dad bought me my first Clemente card (1968 Topps) along with a Mantle and Mays from the same year.

I didn't start seriously collecting RC until the early 90's. In the beginning I wasn't too concerned with condition and for the most part I'm still not. So you won't see any PSA 9's, but hopefully over the course of the next year you'll see some items that you haven't seen before. I will post things randomly to mix it up a bit and, for the most part, post items from his playing days, although there will be some newer items I like. Hope you enjoy.

Day 1

To start things off, on my birthday this year, my oldest daughter asked my neighbor (an amateur painter) to create this painting for me. I wanted to pick a symbolic photo of him so I picked Roberto tipping his cap after his 3,00th hit. I think the result is incredible especially since my neighbor said she doesn't really paint in detail. It's water color on artist's paper using only 4 pigments.

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/2017WatercolorPaintingSM11.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/2017WatercolorPaintingSM21.JPG

quitcrab
12-31-2017, 09:24 AM
Love the painting. The artist did a great job. I am a HS art teacher. A+. I also love the idea for a Clemente thread. What a great player and role model. I am sure a lot if great pieces will be posted. I love the odd ball Clemente cards.

OsFan
12-31-2017, 09:31 AM
Agreed I love following DBesse27 Yaz thread. The Brock thread is great too. Personally I’d like to see someone do a Brooks Robinson, maybe Mark70Z. I have the feeling he has a killer B. Robinson collection.

Definitely looking forward to following this Clemente thread.

CW
12-31-2017, 10:05 AM
Also enjoyed seeing the painting. I'll be checking into this thread, and will also be impressed that you have 365 different Clemente items to show.

Mark70Z
12-31-2017, 11:03 AM
Agreed I love following DBesse27 Yaz thread. The Brock thread is great too. Personally I’d like to see someone do a Brooks Robinson, maybe Mark70Z. I have the feeling he has a killer B. Robinson collection.

Definitely looking forward to following this Clemente thread.

I’m not the best person with the computer thing, and I don’t have a scanner. My pictures that I’m posting currently are too small and I don’t know what I’m doing wrong, but it’s something. If I can get the picture thing better I can give it a shot at a Brooks thread, something like Brock, Yaz and there’s one on Mantle. I’m with the OP that I love threads like that no matter who the player is that’s posted. By the way I have a decent Brooks collection, but there are far better out there I’m sure. I don’t think I can do one that’s everyday, but I sure look forward to the one on Clemente that’s for sure!

David W
12-31-2017, 11:04 AM
I can't wait to see what you have

Mark70Z
12-31-2017, 11:14 AM
As a player collector, I have enjoyed seeing threads devoted to one person's passion for collecting a particular player, such as David W's Lou Brock collection. It surprises me that we don't see more threads like this, so I thought I'd start one on my favorite post-war player to collect.

Why Roberto? When I started collecting in the mid 1970s, I traded cards with other kids at school during recess. I remember a classmate bragging that he had a Roberto Clemente card, but I had no idea who he was. When my Dad came home from work that day, I asked him if Roberto was a good player. I remember him telling me how he was a great all-around player and that he died in a tragic plane crash. I tried several times to trade for that Clemente, but I was never able to pry it out of my classmate's hands. A few years later, at my first card show, my Dad bought me my first Clemente card (1968 Topps) along with a Mantle and Mays from the same year.

I didn't start seriously collecting RC until the early 90's. In the beginning I wasn't too concerned with condition and for the most part I'm still not. So you won't see any PSA 9's, but hopefully over the course of the next year you'll see some items that you haven't seen before. I will post things randomly to mix it up a bit and, for the most part, post items from his playing days, although there will be some newer items I like. Hope you enjoy.

Day 1

To start things off, on my birthday this year, my oldest daughter asked my neighbor (an amateur painter) to create this painting for me. I wanted to pick a symbolic photo of him so I picked Roberto tipping his cap after his 3,00th hit. I think the result is incredible especially since my neighbor said she doesn't really paint in detail. It's water color on artist's paper using only 4 pigments.

I’m like you in that I enjoy viewing others player collections and the passion they have for the particular player. I also enjoy hearing the reason they ultimately chose the player they collect. Thanks for giving some background on why you chose Clemente; he’s a great one.

I can’t answer why other people don’t post their player collections, but for me it’s mainly the computer thing; just not good at it. With some help I may give it a try with a Brooks Robinson thread.

Sure do look forward to viewing 364 more Clemente items!

docpatlv
12-31-2017, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the kind words fellas. I just wanted to add that I realized a long time ago that I will never have everything. I’m perfectly fine with losing out on items, whereas in the past it would have bothered me. Once I had kids, my priorities changed. I’m happy picking up pieces here and there nowadays.

docpatlv
01-01-2018, 10:47 AM
Day 2

Happy New Year!

This next item was always a Holy Grail piece of memorabilia for me. One of the items I really wanted when I was younger. I purchased it at one of the old Fort Washington shows probably close to 20 years ago. It's in great shape, the only problems are a small defect in the "E" in Pirates and the signature decal. It seems as though when it was applied, the right side folded over. Other than that, no cracks or chips. Really tough nodder to find in nice condition.

1962 Bobbin' Head

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/_2_1962Nodder.jpg

docpatlv
01-02-2018, 08:57 AM
Day 3

I purchased this photo in 1996 from Ed Dolan's Baseball Fanatic Super Store in New Jersey. When I brought it home later that day I remember my girlfriend (now my wife) saying..."You spent HOW much on that photo?!?!?"

But to me, it was well worth it, as this might be my favorite Roberto item. Nice, large signature which is much more bold when viewing in person. Not sure why the sig appears lighter in the photo. Personalized "To Dick", unfortunately that's not my name although I'm sure I've been called one on more than one occasion:)

1960s Roberto Clemente signed photo.

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1960sSignedPhoto1.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1960sSignedPhoto1Closeup.jpg

geosluggo
01-02-2018, 09:34 AM
Looking forward to this thread. Clemente is my all-time favorite. I was 8 when he was killed and remember it on a gut level the way others remember the JFK assassination. I recently posted a pic of my Clemente card collection on another thread. Here’s a pic of one of my favorite Clemente items — the 1967 Dexter Press photo.

Mark70Z
01-02-2018, 03:36 PM
Thought it couldn’t get much better than the nodder, but then you break out the signed Roberto photo; that is just awesome!

docpatlv
01-02-2018, 07:28 PM
George,

That’s a nice Dexter Press. Mine is in lesser condition (I’ll post it at some point), not sure why I never upgraded. I guess there’s just always something else to purchase.

Mark,

Glad you’re enjoying the thread. I actually have a Roberto/Brooks item I’ll post at some point. It’s the only one I’ve ever seen. Stay tuned;)

rgpete
01-02-2018, 07:56 PM

hcv123
01-02-2018, 08:01 PM
I love that this thread was created. I love collecting Clemente. I will contribute some images as the thread continues. Check out this ultra rare 1971 Pin - It was originally going to be part of an MLB licensed issue, but for unconfirmed reason never made it to licensed. Just a few of them got out. I have seen 3-4 of the pins in 30 years collecting.

docpatlv
01-02-2018, 09:31 PM
Very nice Howard! That’s one I still don’t have.

71buc
01-02-2018, 11:41 PM
Great thread! I love that autographed photo. 365 unique items in a single thread is quite a feat. In an attempt to avoid the stealing of your thunder, and stepping on your thread, I will limit my periodic additions to items I think are at least a bit scare. I had this Willie Stargell ceramic bank and had heard that there was a Clemente version. However, after years of searching, I never found concrete evidence of its existence. I began to think it was the stuff of a hobby urban legend. That is until Howard confirmed it was a reality by sharing a photo of his. Ironically I found one shortly thereafter. Isn't that the way it always seems to work? The Clemente bank is on the right. I have only seen three of these Clemente banks. This tally includes Howards and my own. They are made of ceramic and stand about 12" tall. There is not a plug that can be used to remove the coins. The only way to retrieve the money was to literally break the bank which likely explains their scarcity.

PS: Howard I picked up one of those buttons in an auction out of Minnesota a couple of months ago so you can add to your total known to exist. Mine is of the facsimile signed version. I believe you said there is an unsigned one as well?

docpatlv
01-03-2018, 08:10 AM
Those are great busts Mike! That's another item I don't have...sigh.

Day 4

I first saw this item around 1994 at the Fort Washington show. The dealer only had the single Clemente and was asking $900. I was still in school at the time so that was a little too rich for my blood.

Thanks to the Mile High find, I was able to add this next item to the collection. I posted a couple of scans to better show the detail. Some don't think they resemble the players well, but I think, at least in this instance, Roberto is accurately portrayed.

1968 Topps Plaks: Carl Yastrzemski-Harmon Killebrew-Roberto Clemente

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1968ToppsPlaksYazKillebrewClementeA.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/_4b_1968PlaksYazKillebrewClemente.jpg

Empty77
01-03-2018, 05:39 PM
Very cool off-the-beaten-path stuff, fellas. I myself currently stick to the master list, which is daunting enough on it's own, and now to recognize how much else has come about over the years that are not so easily categorized is truly something...

hcv123
01-03-2018, 09:40 PM
Those Plaks were practically non existent before the Mile High find. There are 3 different 3 player sprues with Clemente 1) Yaz - Killebrew-Clemente, 2) Wynn - Clemente - Santo and 3) Yastrzemski - Killebrew - Clemente

There are also 3 versions of the busts- The originals were done in 1973 (that's the one you have), They were recasted in gold in 1988 (I think) and then done again in color - I forget the year. The originals are super tough!

Anyone know how to easily resize an image? Please PM me - I have a lot of images - most of them too big to upload.

Check out this SUPER rare 1956 Pirates team issued 5x7.

docpatlv
01-03-2018, 10:14 PM
Howard,

That is a great photo! I like to think that I have seen most Clemente items, but I have never seen that photo before.

docpatlv
01-04-2018, 07:27 AM
Day 5

This is one of the other Plak panels that Howard was referring to above. There is one other panel combination that I don't have and that is the Kaline-Clemente-Yastrzemski. One interesting thing is how they changed Roberto's name on each of the base plates. The panel I posted on Day 4 has Roberto Clemente, this next one has his name as Robert Clemente, and the last has his name as R. Clemente.

I was able to pick up this panel on eBay about a year after I purchased the first one. You can tell that there were some modifications made between the panels (notably in the shoulder area). I'm assuming that the Mile High find consisted of prototypes. The Plaks that made it out to the public also seem to be on thicker sprues.

1968 Topps Plaks Panel: Wynn-Clemente-Santo

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1968ToppsPlaksWynnClementeSantoA.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/_5b_1968PlaksWynnClementeSanto.jpg

hcv123
01-04-2018, 03:37 PM
Day 5

This is one of the other Plak panels that Howard was referring to above. There is one other panel combination that I don't have and that is the Kaline-Clemente-Yastrzemski. One interesting thing is how they changed Roberto's name on each of the base plates. The panel I posted on Day 4 has Roberto Clemente, this next one has his name as Robert Clemente, and the last has his name as R. Clemente.

I was able to pick up this panel on eBay about a year after I purchased the first one. You can tell that there were some modifications made between the panels (notably in the shoulder area). I'm assuming that the Mile High find consisted of prototypes. The Plaks that made it out to the public also seem to be on thicker sprues.

1968 Topps Plaks Panel: Wynn-Clemente-Santo

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1968ToppsPlaksWynnClementeSantoA.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/_5b_1968PlaksWynnClementeSanto.jpg

Interesting - I knew about the "Clement" and "Clemente" differences, never realized the "R" and "Roberto". I had such a hard time spending "real" money on these as they are so darn ugly!! I still only have 1 single (from before the find) and 1 3 player sprue (and I'm done with them at that).

The photos I am posting today I know little about and have been unsuccessful in getting any information about them. If anyone has any please do share. The person I purchased them from said they were acquired during spring training 1960. They are on a medium weight cardboard stock and are about the size of 1975 topps mini's. As you can see they appear to be hand cut. I have not had them authenticated, but believe the signatures to be legit.

irv
01-04-2018, 03:43 PM
Day 3

I purchased this photo in 1996 from Ed Dolan's Baseball Fanatic Super Store in New Jersey. When I brought it home later that day I remember my girlfriend (now my wife) saying..."You spent HOW much on that photo?!?!?"

But to me, it was well worth it, as this might be my favorite Roberto item. Nice, large signature which is much more bold when viewing in person. Not sure why the sig appears lighter in the photo. Personalized "To Dick", unfortunately that's not my name although I'm sure I've been called one on more than one occasion:)

1960s Roberto Clemente signed photo.

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1960sSignedPhoto1.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1960sSignedPhoto1Closeup.jpg

That photo would fit in most peoples collection, including mine. :D

docpatlv
01-05-2018, 08:39 AM
Howard, have never seen those before. Maybe cut from an advertising sheet?

Thanks Dale, it's tough to find larger sized autographed photos of Roberto with a nice, clean signature.

Day 6

Sometimes you can still find great items at small card shows. I don't make it to too many card shows anymore, but I found this at a local mall show years ago.

To go along with the previous 2 items I posted...

1968 Topps Plak Checklist # 2 (National League). Tough item to find, may even be tougher than finding some of the Plaks themselves.

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1968ToppsPlaksCLa.jpg

rgpete
01-05-2018, 12:32 PM
Pirates Score Card with Clemente and Aaron

Mark70Z
01-05-2018, 04:42 PM
Howard, have never seen those before. Maybe cut from an advertising sheet?

Thanks Dale, it's tough to find larger sized autographed photos of Roberto with a nice, clean signature.

Day 6

Sometimes you can still find great items at small card shows. I don't make it to too many card shows anymore, but I found this at a local mall show years ago.

To go along with the previous 2 items I posted...

1968 Topps Plak Checklist # 2 (National League). Tough item to find, may even be tougher than finding some of the Plaks themselves.

While I’m not that crazy about the Plaks; always thought they were a tad bit ugly (they’ve grown on me over the years). The Clemente doesn’t look half bad and I’d guess I’d go after the Plaks if Brooks, the player I collect, was part of the grouping. Now the checklists are a totally different story; one of my favorites! Think they look so cool with all the different players pictured, in color, both front and back. Yours looks great; thanks for sharing.

hcv123
01-05-2018, 05:35 PM
Like was mentioned in previous post - the Plak checklist is SOOO much nicer than the Plak's. If I remember correctly there was some type of checklist proof or variation that sold in the Halper auction - I was an underbidder - anyone have a photo of or know where that went?

So about the image I am posting today: Horne's department store was a big pirates sponsor throughout at least the 50's and 60's that I am aware. There are a number of Pirate team items showing Horne's as the sponsor/producer. For the first time a few years ago I saw an autographed black and white photo of a Pirate's player from 1958 - dated and printed - saying it was from the players appearance at Horne's department store. I figured they would have advertised the appearance. I found digitally reproduced copies of the Pittsburgh papers from the week before the appearance (with the help of a fellow board member). I found an advertisement for the appearance. I then surmised that there would be a good likelihood that Clemente probably appeared at some point! Heart racing - I checked papers as far back as 1955 and went through 1962 (when ads stopped appearing). I don't recall, nor would I likely admit how much time I spent looking, but I found an ad mentioning an appearance by Clemente on September 15, 1960. A new item was added to my wantlist. Last year while searching the completed listings of ebay, I found a Clemente (not autographed) that had sold :(:mad: I had never seen the item before and it slipped away. I did what any die hard collector would - I contacted the seller and asked him to contact the buyer on my behalf offering to double his money - no response. Damn. A few months later another pops up offered by the same seller :eek::D - Thankfully the seller responded very quickly to my "best offer" saving me a few bucks in the process. The signature is facsimile. The things we do for our collections!!

71buc
01-06-2018, 02:44 AM
Awesome Howard! What a fun thread.

Mark70Z
01-06-2018, 07:46 AM
Howard,

You’ve already posted two Clemente items I’ve never seen; very cool!

Not only is this thread great with all the interesting Clemente items, but the background is so very interesting as well.

docpatlv
01-06-2018, 02:18 PM
Day 7

This is actually the second to the last regular issue Topps card I picked up. Not sure why it took so long, I guess I just have a hard time paying for a card that is readily available. I'd rather spend more for the rare items. Not high grade, but good enough eye appeal for me.

The best part is that it was actually purchased using eBay Bucks (when you used to get a decent percentage on purchases).

1955 Topps Rookie...

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1955Topps.jpg

docpatlv
01-07-2018, 10:16 AM
Day 8

I picked up the next item off of eBay many years ago. Great shape with no creases. I have seen a few of these pop up on eBay over the last year.

1962 Post full box panel with 3 HOFers...

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1962PostFullPanel.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1962PostPanelCloseup.jpg

hcv123
01-07-2018, 08:14 PM
Day 7

I guess I just have a hard time paying for a card that is readily available. I'd rather spend more for the rare items.

I am 1000% with you on that one Mike. Still need to fill in most of the regular issue Topps cards in my master set. Interestingly his rookie was the first card I purchased of Clemente back around 1980 - it was the beginning of my Clemente collection. Yes, I still have it and I don't think I want to have it graded - probably purchase a different one for my master set!

So the image below at first glance looks like a 1967 Topps pinup. When you look a little closer - it is actually printed on sticker stock similar to the 1967 Pirate Test Stickers and 1968 Action all star stickers. It also is missing a number. I have had it under high magnification and shown it to numerous people - it is not a copy , but an original and no one has been able to say they have ever seen another - likely a one of a kind prototype during Topps experimental days!! I have not had the autograph looked at for authenticity. I have posted it before, but believe it is most at home in this thread.

docpatlv
01-07-2018, 09:28 PM
That's a rare one there Howard! However, it's only fitting that it should belong to a Mike...lol.

What size is it, and if you don't mind me asking, where did you find it?

the 'stache
01-08-2018, 12:19 AM
Doc, I am loving this thread. I very much look forward to watching it progress throughout the year.

I have two favorite baseball players-Robin Yount, and Roberto Clemente. Unfortunately, Roberto died much too young for me to ever see him in person. But I read or watch anything and everything I can find about the man. I only have a few of his Topps cards, but when I can start working on my collection again in a few months, I plan on building my Clemente collection. You'll inspire me!

docpatlv
01-08-2018, 08:55 AM
Bill,

Thanks for the nice words! Keep checking in on the thread, only 356 days to go:(

Day 9

Had been trying to track down this next item for a while, purchased it as part of a near set earlier this year. Missing only Skinner, which I'll probably never get.

1963 I.D.L. Drug Store...

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1963IDLPirates1.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1963IDLPirates2.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1963IDLPirates3.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1963IDLPirates4.jpg

sflayank
01-08-2018, 09:22 AM
I dont beluwve skinner exists

docpatlv
01-08-2018, 10:21 AM
I dont beluwve skinner exists

You're probably right Larry. I don't actively search for it, but if you haven't seen it, then I doubt it exists.

rats60
01-08-2018, 11:45 AM
I am 1000% with you on that one Mike. Still need to fill in most of the regular issue Topps cards in my master set. Interestingly his rookie was the first card I purchased of Clemente back around 1980 - it was the beginning of my Clemente collection. Yes, I still have it and I don't think I want to have it graded - probably purchase a different one for my master set!

Do you remember what you paid for your Clemente RC? My first one I paid 1.00 for I'm the 70s. When I got back into the hobby in 1984 after taking a few years off, they were 75.

hcv123
01-08-2018, 04:47 PM
That's a rare one there Howard! However, it's only fitting that it should belong to a Mike...lol.

What size is it, and if you don't mind me asking, where did you find it?

I noticed and thought about that after I posted :D If I recall correctly the same or about the same size as pinup. It came from a contact out of Pittsburgh.

Do you remember what you paid for your Clemente RC? My first one I paid 1.00 for I'm the 70s. When I got back into the hobby in 1984 after taking a few years off, they were 75.

Oh, I remember very well what "I" paid for mine - my price was about 45 minutes of crying, pleading, cajoling, negotiating, etc. to get my dear mother God rest her soul to shell out $48 for it (It was listed at $86 in CPU at the time). That card was (and is) coveted! Have plenty worth more $, but that one is still my "most valuable"!

btcarfagno
01-08-2018, 08:38 PM
http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy203/collectiblesgains/2016/clemente_zpsyszsprob.jpeg

The letter sent by Branch Rickey and the Pirates to the Montreal Royals the day that they drafted Clemente away from them in 1954. It is dated the day of the draft.

hcv123
01-08-2018, 10:30 PM
AWESOME letter Tom! Thanks for sharing it.

docpatlv
01-09-2018, 09:31 AM
Day 10

This is probably one of my favorite photos of Clemente and it doesn't even picture Roberto. A bittersweet day this must have been, the expression on her face tells all.

1973 Snapshot photo of Vera Clemente accepting Roberto's HOF plaque from commissioner Bowie Kuhn...

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1973HOFInductionSnapshot.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1973HOFInductionSnapshotBk.jpg

71buc
01-09-2018, 01:02 PM
Love that snap shot. If you ever want to move it I'm your guy.

jason.1969
01-09-2018, 01:40 PM
Whoever took that pic had a great seat!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

docpatlv
01-10-2018, 08:29 AM
Day 11

Purchased this next item off eBay, tough to find especially in nice condition. This one looks like it came right off the shelf. The resemblance of these statues to the players is uncanny...lol, but for some reason I like these. Maybe it's the package as a whole with the stadium scene in the background and cards on the back.

1970 Transogram 3-player box: Bob Gibson-Roberto Clemente- Jerry Koosman

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1970Transogram3PlayerSet.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1970Transogram3PlayerSet2.jpg

jason.1969
01-10-2018, 08:35 AM
Day 11

Purchased this next item off eBay, tough to find especially in nice condition. This one looks like it came right off the shelf. The resemblance of these statues to the players is uncanny...lol, but for some reason I like these. Maybe it's the package as a whole with the stadium scene in the background and cards on the back.

1970 Transogram 3-player box: Bob Gibson-Roberto Clemente- Jerry Koosman

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1970Transogram3PlayerSet.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1970Transogram3PlayerSet2.jpgBeautiful!

docpatlv
01-10-2018, 09:05 AM
Thank you Jason. Funny thing is, I bought this from a seller many years ago, but after my experiences with him at shows over the years, I would never spend another dime with him.

docpatlv
01-10-2018, 09:05 AM
Double post

71buc
01-10-2018, 10:27 PM
Day 10

This is probably one of my favorite photos of Clemente and it doesn't even picture Roberto. A bittersweet day this must have been, the expression on her face tells all.

1973 Snapshot photo of Vera Clemente accepting Roberto's HOF plaque from commissioner Bowie Kuhn...

Here is a Type 1 photo of Roberto and Vera during happier times on Roberto Clemente Night at Shea Stadium on September 24, 1971.

Mark70Z
01-11-2018, 08:27 AM
Really like that snapshot photo; looks like a professional pic. I have a photo “somewhere” that has very similar writing on the back; possibility same photographer. A goal this year is to be more organized so hopefully I’ll get my act together.

The Transogram piece looks brand new. I don’t understand why they even put their names on the packaging since the plastic figures “almost” have an exact likeness. Wonder how they chose who was going to be in the three pack?

I’m a sucker for photos so the recent posting of the B&W pic is very cool. While I don’t personally have a lot of phots I’d like to add more in the future. Should have added them earlier since the pricing for Type 1 photographs are going up quickly in price.

docpatlv
01-11-2018, 08:28 AM
Nice photo Mike!

Day 12

This next item is much tougher than the previous item I posted (3-player Transogram box with cards and statues). I purchased it on eBay years ago in a group of about 12 single boxes. I have since sold the rest, but kept the Clemente. I can't remember the last time I saw a single Clemente but it seems like it has been years.

1969 Transogram boxed statue with card...not sure why the 2nd photo appears hazy, it is not like that in hand.

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1969TransogramClemente.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1969TransogramClemente2.jpg

eldon80
01-12-2018, 03:16 AM
Great thread, and I'll really be looking forward to this! Thanks a lot for sharing your collection!

docpatlv
01-12-2018, 06:43 AM
Thanks Eldon, hope you enjoy the rest!

Day 13

Similar to the busts that Mike (71buc) posted earlier in this thread, this item was issued later than the originals in 1973.

1988 Ivo Zini gold painted bust...

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1988IvoZiniBust2.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1988IvoZiniBust.jpg

71buc
01-12-2018, 07:35 AM
Thanks Eldon, hope you enjoy the rest!

Day 13

Similar to the busts that Mike (71buc) posted earlier in this thread, this item was issued later than the originals in 1973.

1988 Ivo Zini gold painted bust...

I have always been curious about that one. Is it solid or is it a coin bank with a slot like originals?

docpatlv
01-12-2018, 08:58 AM
Mike,

I'm pretty sure it is solid, but I will find out.

Edited to add: It is solid

docpatlv
01-13-2018, 11:23 AM
Day 14

Roberto does not have a lot of vintage pins (especially PM10s) compared to Mantle or Mays, but this is one of my favorites.

1969 MLB Pinback...

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1969MLBPinback.jpg

docpatlv
01-14-2018, 02:27 PM
Day 15

1956 Topps Regular Issue and Team card...

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1956Topps.jpg

Mark70Z
01-14-2018, 05:33 PM
Roberto has a good number of regular issue cards and this is probably my favorite. The ‘72 is a close second; love the look of that card!

docpatlv
01-14-2018, 06:02 PM
Mark,

I agree, the 72 Topps regular and In Action are two of my favorites.

docpatlv
01-15-2018, 07:01 AM
Day 16

When I first purchased this next item, it was genuinely a tough item to acquire. Many years later there was a find of these (still sealed in original packaging) which made them much more available and much cheaper as well. I have purchased duplicates of these over the last few years because of that find.

1960 Pittsburgh Pirates Wallet...

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1960PiratesWallet1.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1960PiratesWallet2.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1960PiratesWallet3and4.jpg

hcv123
01-16-2018, 05:18 AM
Really enjoying the thread. So the card I'm posting is on most Clemente Collectors (and many non Clemente collectors) want lists. Many have never seen one. Ironically the first time I saw a 1958 Kahn's Clemente was at the first Robert Morris show I set up at (2nd show that was ever run there). I was overwhelmed with the number of Clemente items - many of which at the time I had never seen. When a guy walked in and showed me his 58 Kahn's (in really nice condition) - it was just another Clemente card I hadn't seen yet. He wanted "full book" price on it (at the time I think $500-$600). He said if I wouldn't pay full book for it, I had no idea what I was looking at. Neither of us budged. He was right! It took years before I held another in my hands. I have been fortunate enough to have owned 3 of them (2 of them long ago sold to other collectors) in the last 30 years - the one pictured is far and away the best condition one I have had. As a beginning to understanding how tough this card is -PSA has graded 32 Kahn's Clemente's from 1957, 23 from 1959 (another tough card) and just 7 from 1958. I just googled "1958 Kahn's Clemente" and not 1 image of this card appeared (I did spot images of every other Clemente Kahn's issue. Definitely one of the highlights of my collection. I have never understood or heard speculation as to why this card (and the 58 set in general) is so much tougher than any other. Enjoy!

docpatlv
01-16-2018, 08:55 AM
Howard,

That is a gorgeous card! I still don't have one, and probably never will. I have no idea why it's so scarce either. Love the unique pose.

Day 17

Another item that I've been able to obtain multiples of. One of my favorite pocket schedules.

1961 Otto Milk Pirates pocket schedule...and dupes.

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1961OttoMilkSchedule.jpghttp://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1961OttoMilkScheduleBk.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1961OttoMilkScheduleDupes.jpg

rats60
01-16-2018, 10:59 AM
Jim Beckett had a 58 Kahns and he pictured it in his Annual Price Guide. I always figured that I would be able to find one because of that. 7 is a low population, but I have found cards with lower populations.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4453/24096381868_19e34461e3.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/CHjfPN)

This has a psa pop 5 and is highest graded.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4679/38705963054_4ac5536eda.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/21YjbjA)

This has a psa pop of 5 with 1 higher.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4601/24548069717_dc0f6c4181.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/DpegTk)

This has a psa pop of 5 with 1 higher. 2 sold last year.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4548/38075973144_29bf4127fe.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/211DjgA)

This is my favorite card. It has a psa pop of 3 with 2 graded Auth.

So I have hope that one day I will get a 58 Kahns.

sflayank
01-16-2018, 01:44 PM
be glad you have your punchout labelled and graded
apparently psa will no longer label the varieties on punchouts

71buc
01-17-2018, 12:24 AM
This set of 1971 Pittsburgh Pirates Autograph Cards is one of my favorites. It was hard for me to come by a nice complete set with the checklists. If you are so inclined to put this set together for some reason PSA will not grade the checklists. If interested here is the population report. https://www.psacard.com/pop/baseball-cards/1971/pittsburgh-pirates-autograph-cards/94568 I doubt it reflects the availability of the cards as I am sure that there are few people who actually grade them. There are 34 graded Clementes so that may serve as some what of a barometer?

docpatlv
01-17-2018, 10:10 AM
Great stuff rats60 and Mike!

Day 18

This is the first baseball I picked up with Roberto's autograph. I picked it up the same year that I purchased the signed photo in one of my earlier posts. Again, purchased from Ed Dolan's Baseball Fanatic Super Store in NJ. Does anyone know if Ed's store is still open? It was, by far, my favorite store to shop at back in the day.

1964 Pittsburgh Pirates Team signed ONL baseball...

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1964PiratesTmSigned.jpg

Mark70Z
01-17-2018, 03:47 PM
Wow! Some very cool and rare items being shown; oddball and test issue items are always my favorite. The ‘58 Kahn’s is very nice; I don’t believe I’ve seen this particular year before. While I’m not to crazy about the looks of the Stand-ups I guess I just like them because of their rarity and the Clemente is no exception. Sure wish Brooksie was part of the grouping.

Zact
01-17-2018, 07:15 PM
One of my better Bazooka cards 1968 Clemente PSA 8

71buc
01-18-2018, 05:55 AM
That Bazooka Card is beautiful

docpatlv
01-18-2018, 07:28 AM
Day 19

This is the only complete box I have in my collection, picked it up at a local card show many years ago.

1965 Bazooka Complete Box...

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1965BazookaBox.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1965BazookaBoxBk.jpg

71buc
01-18-2018, 08:03 AM
Mike that box is incredible too bad it didn't feature Willie Stargell on the far right;)

Although I don't necessarily collect Clemente photos I have a number of them. This one happens to be my favorite. I share it with a bit of trepidation. It is an original 11" X 14"Les Banos photo printed high quality archival paper. I think it is one of the most beautiful images of Roberto and is seldom seen. I placed a rudimentary, and hopefully unobtrusive, watermark on it to protect it from theft. Unfortunately there have been a number of photos I have posted that have been copied and put up for sale eBay.

Banos was the Pirate team photographer for many years. He doesn't seem to get the credit he deserves as an artist. His work can be expensive and due to this I only have a few examples. You can read more about him here if interested.

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/obituaries/2012/04/26/Obituary-Les-Banos-Spy-against-the-Nazis-longtime-sports-photographer/stories/201204260372

docpatlv
01-18-2018, 11:01 AM
Great photo Mike! Why do the borders appear that way, is it in a frame?

71buc
01-18-2018, 12:00 PM
That's the way it was printed. It's not in a frame or matted.

Empty77
01-18-2018, 10:02 PM
Never ever seen even a pic of '67 stand-up until this; only knew of it by name...cool.

docpatlv
01-19-2018, 10:35 AM
Day 20

This next item shows up every once in a while, but I think it's still a pretty tough item to come by, especially if you're looking for a particular panel.

1968 Topps Action All-Stars Sticker Full Panel...

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1968ToppsActionAllStars.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1968ToppsActionAllStarsClose.jpg

Mark70Z
01-20-2018, 05:42 AM
Great looking ‘68 AS Sticker Panel. That’s an item that I don’t have the full panel; I do have the one panel with Brooks included. Also I have a proof of this item and I think it’s the only piece I have with Clemente and Brooks included together. I’ve seen them come up for sale a couple of times over the years and have come up short.

docpatlv
01-20-2018, 09:58 AM
Mark,

I don't have the other panel with Clemente on it, I don't see that one show up very often.

*Day # 21*

Well, on day # 21, I thought I'd post a couple of my favorite Roberto items. Not the most expensive, but tough to find. They do pop up for auction every now and then. A few years ago, a trio appeared on eBay in one lot, but I was one of the underbidders. If I didn't have it already, I probably would have made more of an attempt to win the lot.

Here's an exerpt from Worthpoint:

"This rare button celebrates Roberto Clemente Day at Shea Stadium September 24, 1971. It was sponsored by the NYC Spanish language radio station WADO 1280, which is still on the air. Clemente was honored while he was still alive (died 12/31/72). The button is 2 1/4" in diameter..."

1971 WADO pins...

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1971WADOPinbacks.jpg

chlankf
01-20-2018, 08:02 PM
Picked this up a few years ago at a Royals game stadium auction. Never really fit in my collecting scope but picked it up anyway. It was used on Roberto Clemente Day game in KC for the opening pitch.

If would fit into someone's Pirate or Clemente collection, PM me. I'd enjoy this going into the proper collection. Great display, shame it's stored in a tub in my basement.

docpatlv
01-21-2018, 12:25 PM
Haven't seen that home plate before Craig, thanks for sharing.

Day 22

1962 Kahn's Wiener card...

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1962Kahns.jpg

chlankf
01-21-2018, 01:00 PM
Thanks Doc. Nice Kahn's.

Empty77
01-21-2018, 10:21 PM
I think the '62 Kahn's is one of the more interesting RC items out there in terms of the atypical stance/pose capture...the Kahn's in general are a pretty cool series for him.

hcv123
01-22-2018, 04:41 AM
I think the '62 Kahn's is one of the more interesting RC items out there in terms of the atypical stance/pose capture...the Kahn's in general are a pretty cool series for him.

The Kahn's are one of my favorite "sub sets" and one of the most difficult to complete - add any kind of reasonable condition and it gets exponentially harder. The only subset I like more are complete bazooka boxes - still looking for the 1960 box - my life regarding Clemente would feel complete if I were to acquire it and also looking for some size variants from other years.

Kahn's Clemente checklist - 1957,1958,1959,1960,1961,1962,1963,1964,1966

Bazooka box Clemente checklist:
1960,1962,1963,1964,1965,1966,1967,1968,1971 - I have confirmed production of 20 piece and 25 piece boxes for all years except - 1964 (I have not seen/confirmed a 25 piece Clemente box, but have seen another player), 1968 and 1971 (believe these only came in 25 piece size).

docpatlv
01-22-2018, 06:54 AM
Agreed that the Kahn's are a great Clemente series. Unfortunately I'm still missing a lot of them. Have lost out on a few recently at auction. For some reason I'd really like to pick up the 1966 issue, but rarely see it offered. I passed on one years back because the tab had been cut off, and looking back I probably should have just purchased it and tried to upgrade later.

Day 23

1963 Kahn's Wiener card...

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1963Kahns.jpg

hcv123
01-22-2018, 03:11 PM
Agreed that the Kahn's are a great Clemente series. Unfortunately I'm still missing a lot of them. Have lost out on a few recently at auction. For some reason I'd really like to pick up the 1966 issue, but rarely see it offered. I passed on one years back because the tab had been cut off, and looking back I probably should have just purchased it and tried to upgrade later.

No Question 66 is a tough one! I bought a whole set to get mine probably about 25 years ago. Used to see them once in a while, not so much anymore. My opinion of difficulty of Clemente Kahn's (condition not a consideration) from easiest to hardest along with PSA pop report stats:

1964 (84 PSA graded)
1963 (57 PSA graded)
1962 (58 PSA graded)
1961 (41 PSA graded)
1960 (40 PSA graded)
1957 (32 PSA graded)
1959 (23 PSA graded)
1966 (21 with Tab + 3 no tab PSA graded)
1958 (7 PSA graded)

Interesting to note I used to see almost no 1959's years ago and thought it to be almost as tough as the 58's. In the past 5-7 years a number of them seem to have surfaced. Also interesting that the 1957 is not as hard as one would think.

Zact
01-22-2018, 05:57 PM
My 66 Kahn's no tab
I would trade for a nice 59 - I also need a 58 (probably never get one) and a 61.

docpatlv
01-22-2018, 07:17 PM
Howard, interesting info on the Kahn’s.

Nice 66 Chris.

hcv123
01-22-2018, 09:06 PM
First is the elusive 1966 Kahn's with tab we've been speaking about. Next is a box with a few neat items:

1969 Mlb pin previously posted by Mike
A relatively common "hall of fame" pin
Another not too hard pin (photo with arms crossed)
A MUCH tougher pin - portrait

1967 and 1968 Soda bottle caps - yes, all the soda varieties are Clemente and include - Coke, Sprite, King Size coke, Tab, 2 different Fresca's, Fanta Orange, Fanta Grape, and Fanta Root Beer. There are quite a few other flavor variants, but none that I have seen with Clemente. I got as crazy as beginning to look for the standard (common) Coke caps from different bottling plants - stopped that in a hurry.

At the top of the box are a 1960 World Series pen/pencil set and a 1971 world series pencil (missing the pen :(.

docpatlv
01-23-2018, 08:23 AM
Howard,

Great items again! That 66 Kahn's is perfect. Great run on the bottle caps too, I only have one (Coke) and really wasn't going to pick up other brands, but maybe I'll pick up a few different now.

Day 24

1964 Kahn's Wiener card...

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1964Kahns.jpg

Empty77
01-23-2018, 05:38 PM
My opinion of difficulty of Clemente Kahn's (condition not a consideration) from easiest to hardest along with PSA pop report stats:

1964 (84 PSA graded)
1963 (57 PSA graded)
1962 (58 PSA graded)
1961 (41 PSA graded)
1960 (40 PSA graded)
1957 (32 PSA graded)
1959 (23 PSA graded)
1966 (21 with Tab + 3 no tab PSA graded)
1958 (7 PSA graded)
-----------------------------

Thanks for the Kahn's stats. The list conveniently suggests why I have '61-'64, but no others...

71buc
01-23-2018, 08:10 PM
Howard, is the pin on the lower left covered with a thin plastic film? That's one you don't see often. I have one in my collection but mine does not have the plastic covering. I was curious about yours as I have never physically examined another. Thanks, Mike

hcv123
01-23-2018, 08:45 PM
Howard, is the pin on the lower left covered with a thin plastic film? That's one you don't see often. I have one in my collection but mine does not have the plastic covering. I was curious about yours as I have never physically examined another. Thanks, Mike

Hi Mike,

Yes , mine does have a plastic coating. Super tough pin. I too don't recall seeing another. Don't happen to have a 1971 world series pen to go with my 1971 pencil do you?:D Get photos of that glove and glove box up here! I'm sure people viewing the thread would love to see it! I know I love looking at it.

71buc
01-23-2018, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the response Howard. Sorry no 1971 Pencil I wasn't even aware such a thing existed. Thanks for the heads up;) As I said my pin doesn't have the plastic film. I believe Scott Garner has a Nolan Ryan from the same series sans the plastic film. As requested here is a mint condition 1971 Rawlings World Series Special Glove. Although it is not in mint condition the box features Roberto and Brooks. I have only seen one other and it was missing the lid (not visible in my pics unfortunately). The link below is to the other glove that I am aware of. It sold in a Hunt auction eleven years ago. For the heck of it I am including another Les Banos 11X14 photo. I really love his work.

https://www.huntauctions.com/live/imageviewer_online.cfm?auction_num=29&lot_num=501&lot_qual=

docpatlv
01-24-2018, 07:48 AM
Mike,

GREAT Clemente/Robinson Glove & Box!!! I had 2 of those store model gloves in the past, but I sold all of my Roberto gloves (I had about 12). Not sure why I sold them, I think I just decided to go with smaller items (cards, pins, etc.)

Day 25

This next item was obtained from board member Dan B. many years ago. I don't remember if it was a purchase or a trade, I think I traded a Koufax snapshot for it.

ca. early 1970s Snapshot Photo...I love how Roberto is just walking around all the fans. And that suit!!!

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1970sSnapshot.jpg

Mark70Z
01-24-2018, 03:30 PM
Mike,

I think I probably said it before, but really like the Brooksie/Clemente glove and glove box. When the glove/box came up for sale I was short on funds so it would have went for more, but I’m really glad I didn’t have the cash and you ended up with the piece. Goes so well with your collection.

Doc,

I am sorta like you with the gloves with maybe a slight different reasoning. I started to collect all of the different versions of Brooks endorsed gloves back in the day and got to the point I didn’t really like the gloves or how they displayed. I guess that’s weird for a Brooks collector to not like gloves, but just didn’t get the enjoyment out of them. Now a mint condition one, or game used may be a bit different.

Very cool snapshot by the way!

I also thought the glove/box might of been a piece that you had w/Brooks included. I guess not...

docpatlv
01-24-2018, 08:16 PM
Mark,

I wish the glove & box was part of the collection. Unfortunately, the other Roberto/Brooks item I have is not on the same level as Mike’s glove/box, but it’s the only one I’ve ever seen.

rats60
01-24-2018, 08:31 PM
This is a piece of original artwork that I bought from Topps back in 2001. It was a card of Roberto Clemente and one of our newest Hall of Famers, Vladamir Guerrero called "Latin Heat."

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4764/39770681332_0ae4eae857.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/23Ap8Yh)

docpatlv
01-25-2018, 07:09 AM
Rats,

Are you a Clemente collector also?

Day 26

Purchased this at a small local show and framed it myself. It is on heavy matte stock. Didn't know exactly what it was for years, but later learned that it was a poster for a telethon in the 70s. My example has had the telethon info cut out.

ca. early 1970s Pittsburgh Telethon Poster...

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1970sTelethonPosterCut.jpg

rats60
01-25-2018, 08:03 AM
I have been collecting Clemente for over 40 years.

71buc
01-25-2018, 06:55 PM
Very cool poster Mike that's the same image on the pin Howard posted in #15. That's the first time I have seen that item. What size is it? I am certain being on the West Coast has limited my access to such items. Thanks for sharing it.

docpatlv
01-25-2018, 08:34 PM
Thanks Mike. It measures approximately 15x16 but has had the top and bottom border cut off that contained telethon info. I have only seen one other, which was complete and auctioned 10+ years ago. That’s how I found out it’s origin.

I do live on the east coast and I think It definitely helped finding items 10-15 years ago at small shows and also bigger shows such as the old Ft. Washington show (now the Philly show). But shows have gone the way of the dinosaur, even the Philly show, to me, is a shell of it’s former self.

docpatlv
01-26-2018, 07:02 AM
Day 27

One of the few pieces of original artwork that I have.

1990 Leon Wolf original oil painting on canvas...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1990LeonWolfOrginalPainting.jpg

71buc
01-26-2018, 02:39 PM
Very pretty it would look great on black velvet:D

docpatlv
01-27-2018, 02:32 PM
Day 28

Tough to find April 9, 1973 Roberto's Youth City Benefit Concert Ticket...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1973ClementeBenefitConcertTicket.jpg

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1973ClementeBenefitConcertTicketBk.jpg

hcv123
01-27-2018, 07:40 PM
Day 28

Tough to find April 9, 1973 Roberto's Youth City Benefit Concert Ticket...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1973ClementeBenefitConcertTicket.jpg

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1973ClementeBenefitConcertTicketBk.jpg

So..... there were actually 2 performances of this show - 1 at 7PM and 1 at 9:30. Both REALLY tough tickets to find today. Also a program and record album from the show - for another day. Here are a couple of other odd tough tickers picturing or related to Clemente.

hcv123
01-27-2018, 07:43 PM
First up is a 1954 Montreal Royals pocket schedule and second is a 1973 Dollar Bank pocket schedule

docpatlv
01-27-2018, 08:01 PM
Great stuff Howard! Love the tickets and also the 54 schedule. Very nice.

docpatlv
01-28-2018, 12:06 PM
Day 29

As Howard mentioned, this is the program to go along with the ticket I posted yesterday. It seems as though I've seen fewer of these programs than the actual tickets themselves. I don't remember ever seeing the record that Howard mentioned.

1973 Benefit concert program...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1973BenefitConcertProgram.jpghttps://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1973BenefitConcertProgramBk.jpghttps://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1973BenefitConcertProgramInside.jpg

hcv123
01-28-2018, 08:56 PM
Firstly -is there someone willing to resize some images?? I don't know how to easily do this with images taken from a good digital camera to upload to this site.

Second - Enjoy this one. A Clemente Mass card. 1 of 2 that I have ever seen.

docpatlv
01-29-2018, 07:02 AM
Day 30

Here's one for you Mark!

Picked up the single first and then was able to purchase the whole 3rd series on card (39 cents!).

1968 Creative Creations Series 3 set and single...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1968CreativeCreations.jpghttps://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1968CreativeCreations2.jpg

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1968CreativeCreationsClemente.jpg

Mark70Z
01-29-2018, 05:42 PM
Thanks so much for sharing this piece. While I have the Brooks individual marble I don’t have the complete package. I saw the Series 3 package some years ago, but it didn’t have the marbles attached so I passed. Maybe someday I’ll get a complete package. Yours looks to be in great shape; love it!

docpatlv
01-30-2018, 09:01 AM
Mark,

If I see one come up for sale, I'll let you know.

Day 31

1965 MacGregor Advisory Staff...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1965MacGregor.jpg

Mark70Z
01-30-2018, 05:34 PM
Mark,

If I see one come up for sale, I'll let you know.

Thanks for keeping me in mind...

Enjoy seeing the Advisory photos. How many different years/varieties does Clemente have?

hcv123
01-30-2018, 06:57 PM
Thanks for keeping me in mind...

Enjoy seeing the Advisory photos. How many different years/varieties does Clemente have?

1965 Macgregor and at least 2 different early 70's Rawlings. The Rawlings are much larger - 8x10 or 8 1/2 x 11.

Mark70Z
01-30-2018, 08:12 PM
1965 Macgregor and at least 2 different early 70's Rawlings. The Rawlings are much larger - 8x10 or 8 1/2 x 11.

What size is the MacGregor pictured? Also, do you happen to know why he switched manufacturers of gloves?

I guess I’ll have to wait and see on the other Rawlings pieces; don’t recall seeing the two other Rawlings Advisory photos before.

hcv123
01-30-2018, 08:56 PM
What size is the MacGregor pictured? Also, do you happen to know why he switched manufacturers of gloves?

I guess I’ll have to wait and see on the other Rawlings pieces; don’t recall seeing the two other Rawlings Advisory photos before.

The 1965 Macgregor is about 3 1/2 x 5 1/8. I am not sure if the players needed to exclusively use the model of gloves or if it was just a paid endorsement - perhaps someone else can weigh in on that. I know I saw one of the Rawlings among my collection recently, not sure where the other one is. If I remember correctly one of the Rawlings is color and the other B & W. The Rawlings are MUCH more elusive than the Macgregor.

Ps. I May have a 1968 unopened pack of marbles to sell - I will try to take a look over the next couple of weeks and PM you if I find it.

docpatlv
01-31-2018, 07:39 AM
Day 32

Not rare, but seldom seen (at least on eBay).

1969 Topps Super...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1969ToppsSuper.jpg

Mark70Z
01-31-2018, 09:39 AM
The 1965 Macgregor is about 3 1/2 x 5 1/8. I am not sure if the players needed to exclusively use the model of gloves or if it was just a paid endorsement - perhaps someone else can weigh in on that. I know I saw one of the Rawlings among my collection recently, not sure where the other one is. If I remember correctly one of the Rawlings is color and the other B & W. The Rawlings are MUCH more elusive than the Macgregor.

Ps. I May have a 1968 unopened pack of marbles to sell - I will try to take a look over the next couple of weeks and PM you if I find it.

Thanks for the information on the Advisory photos. I’ve seen pictures of the ‘65 MacGregor Clemente before and always just thought it was the same size as the Rawlings examples. Always liked the Rawlings issues so would like to view the Clemente’s sometime this year in the thread.

Appreciate the thought on the marbles package. If you happen to have an extra I’d love to pick up a Series 3 marble package from you.

Mark70Z
01-31-2018, 03:49 PM
Day 32

1969 Topps Super...

The ‘69 Super is very cool!

I’ll try not to mention Brooks so much in a Clemente thread, but I have yet to pick up a ‘69 Super. I see them for sale quite often, but don’t pull the trigger. What’s a tad funny is I have two square proofs of the Super...

docpatlv
01-31-2018, 07:39 PM
Mark, I don’t mind you mentioning Brooks at all. It’s actually pretty cool to see a Brooks collector appreciate a Roberto thread. When I was in my early stages of collecting, and price guides were first starting to come out, I was on a mission to find a 1967 Topps Robinson. It was priced pretty high back then. I found one at one of the first shows I went to and spent my hard earned cash. It’s not high grade, but I still have it and probably always will.

docpatlv
02-01-2018, 06:47 AM
Day 33

1973 Bohemia Magazine (Puerto Rico)...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1973BohemiaMagazine.jpg

Mark70Z
02-01-2018, 04:42 PM
Such a cool magazine. I know the foreign mags are hard to come by. Is there a checklist of Clemente magazines (covers) including the foreign versions? If there is, how many issues are you short? Also, do you collect mags with his name on the cover or ones with just an article related to Roberto?

CobbSpikedMe
02-01-2018, 05:02 PM
Day 32

1969 Topps Super...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1969ToppsSuper.jpg

Love the 69 Supers. Nice card man.

docpatlv
02-01-2018, 07:23 PM
Mark,

I have no idea how many foreign issued magazines there are with Clemente on the cover. I think this is the only one I have. I lost out on a different magazine which was being auctioned at the same time as the one I posted. I liked the one I lost out on better because it had a great cover of Roberto, but I am happy with this one.

Andy,

Thanks for the compliment. 69 Supers are a great set. I've put together complete/near sets of most Topps inserts/specialty cards (other than the rare test issues), but never made an attempt with the 69 Supers. Not sure why.

hcv123
02-01-2018, 07:36 PM
I know of close to 20 different foreign publications with Clemente on the cover. I am sure there are more.
Of the ones I have pictured (I have a database of images of many things Clemente - not all of which I own) I own the 2 Temas issues.

docpatlv
02-01-2018, 08:13 PM
Howard,

The black cover Temas is the one I lost out on. Did you win it recently?

hcv123
02-01-2018, 08:18 PM
Howard,

The black cover Temas is the one I lost out on. Did you win it recently?

No. That was given to me by a friend years ago. The Temas mags are kinda cool because they are large format (smaller than, but similar to "Life" magazine).

docpatlv
02-02-2018, 09:01 AM
Day 34

Memorial pin issued in 1973 after Roberto’s death. Not sure if it’s considered a PM10, but I have seen it listed that way. They pop up on eBay from time to time, but I haven’t seen one in a little while.

1973 PM10 Memorial Pin...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1973PM10.jpg

Mark70Z
02-03-2018, 06:36 AM
So neat seeing all of those foreign magazines. My favorite has to be the Temas with the black background and Clemente wearing the red, white and blue glove. While all of them are cool that one stands out as the most visually appealing at least to me. Enjoyed seeing Clemente styling on the cover of the other Temas magazine. I wonder if the flying nun collars will make a comeback.

That memorial pin is a nice one!

jason.1969
02-03-2018, 06:44 AM
Does he have a different uniform # on that Temas?

docpatlv
02-03-2018, 07:35 AM
Good eye Jason, I didn’t notice that.

docpatlv
02-03-2018, 08:30 AM
Day 35

1957 Topps and Pirates Team card...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1957Topps.jpg

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1957ToppsPiratesTeam.jpg

docpatlv
02-04-2018, 08:50 AM
Day 36

Purchased at the Philly Show back when it was held in Ft. Washington. Thought it was well made and would be nice for display. Measures approximately 21 x 34.

ca. 1990s Fantasy Sign...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1990sFantasySign.jpg

hcv123
02-04-2018, 10:47 AM
Day 36

Purchased at the Philly Show back when it was held in Ft. Washington. Thought it was well made and would be nice for display. Measures approximately 21 x 34.

ca. 1990s Fantasy Sign...

Love that Mike!

docpatlv
02-05-2018, 07:53 AM
Love that Mike!

Thanks Howard!

Day 37

1969 Topps Team Poster...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1969ToppsTeamPoster.jpg

docpatlv
02-06-2018, 09:00 AM
Day 38

1968 Topps Poster...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1968ToppsPoster.jpg

WWG
02-06-2018, 10:51 AM
I'll take these over any $5,000 Nike Jordan's.

docpatlv
02-06-2018, 11:10 AM
Nice Rennie! About 10-12 years ago I passed on a pair of shoes and box priced at around $400. Guess I should have pulled the trigger, tough (and expensive) to find nowadays.

skil55voy
02-06-2018, 12:34 PM
Here are my Clemente's

docpatlv
02-06-2018, 02:10 PM
Nice Michael,

Time for that 1962 Jello!

skil55voy
02-06-2018, 02:38 PM
Wish I could find that 62 Jell-O Clemente.

Mark70Z
02-06-2018, 04:57 PM
Really like the sneakers, box and tag! Never seen them before...

hcv123
02-06-2018, 07:22 PM
I'll take these over any $5,000 Nike Jordan's.

I've been on the heels of those at least 3 times, but never had them. Sneakers are tough - box is tougher! Nice one!

judgejules1
02-06-2018, 08:14 PM

docpatlv
02-07-2018, 10:45 AM
Brian,

Nice photo! Was that from Hunt's auction?

Day 39

1972 Topps Poster...probably a candidate for an upgrade at some point.

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1972ToppsPoster.jpg

Mark70Z
02-07-2018, 04:20 PM
Which poster do you like better the ‘68 or ‘72?

docpatlv
02-07-2018, 05:28 PM
Mark,

I like them both, but probably the 1972 better.

docpatlv
02-08-2018, 06:30 AM
Day 40

Up next is a snapshot photo of Roberto and possibly teammates/other MLB players attending what appears to be a little league game (based on the player at the far end of the bench). I have made a small attempt to identify the gentlemen sitting next to Clemente, but have met little success. If anyone has any ideas as to who they may be, please feel free to post.

What I love about the photo is how close the general public is to Roberto and others and how they genuinely seem more interested in the game than being in the presence of MLBers.

Not sure on the date this photo was taken but I'm guessing.

ca. late 1950s-early 1960s Snapshot photo...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1950s-60sSnapshotClemente.jpg

hcv123
02-08-2018, 08:39 AM
Day 40

Up next is a snapshot photo of Roberto and possibly teammates/other MLB players attending what appears to be a little league game (based on the player at the far end of the bench). I have made a small attempt to identify the gentlemen sitting next to Clemente, but have met little success. If anyone has any ideas as to who they may be, please feel free to post.

What I love about the photo is how close the general public is to Roberto and others and how they genuinely seem more interested in the game than being in the presence of MLBers.

Not sure on the date this photo was taken but I'm guessing.

ca. late 1950s-early 1960s Snapshot photo...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1950s-60sSnapshotClemente.jpg

No idea who else is there either, but love the photo!

docpatlv
02-09-2018, 06:44 AM
Day 41

In the past I would buy anything that had to do with Roberto, but currently I try to focus on purchases from Roberto's actual playing days. I do still acquire newer items, but on a more limited basis. Two newer items that I still like to purchase, if they appeal to me, are patches and pinbacks.

This next item, I was told, was produced in very limited quantities (I believe I was told less than 50). I have not seen one show up for sale in a long time, so I think that number might be accurate.

1994 Ltd. Edition Statue Dedication patch...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1994LtdEdPatch.jpg

And a companion piece keychain...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1994StatueDedicationKeychain.jpg

docpatlv
02-10-2018, 04:40 PM
Day 42

This next item will always be special to me because my Dad bought if for me when I was in Junior High. It was one of the first Clemente items in my collection. Not sure how many were produced, but I rarely see it offered.

ca. Early 1980s HOF baseball...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1980sHOFInducteeBall.jpg

Mark70Z
02-11-2018, 07:03 AM
Day 42

This next item will always be special to me because my Dad bought if for me when I was in Junior High. It was one of the first Clemente items in my collection. Not sure how many were produced, but I rarely see it offered.

ca. Early 1980s HOF baseball

Not only is that a nice item it makes it even more special coming from your Dad. Do you happen to know how many different items the HOF put out when Clemente was inducted?

docpatlv
02-11-2018, 09:03 AM
Thank you Mark. I have no idea how many items were produced for his induction (at least vintage items). I certainly don't see may available. On the other hand, they made a ton of items for his statue dedication.

Did they make a similar baseball for Brooks?

Here's an item for you Mark, nothing earth-shattering, but maybe you haven't seen it.

Day 43

1972 Superstar Sports magazine with color pin-ups of Aaron, Brooks, Bench and Roberto...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1972SuperstarSportsA.jpg

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1972SuperstarSportsB.jpg

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1972SuperstarSportsC.jpg

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1972SuperstarSportsD.jpg

docpatlv
02-12-2018, 07:14 AM
Day 44

1967 Illustrated Current News Poster...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1967_2-6_ICN-MantleKoufaxClemente.jpg

Mark70Z
02-12-2018, 08:13 AM
Thank you Mark. I have no idea how many items were produced for his induction (at least vintage items). I certainly don't see may available. On the other hand, they made a ton of items for his statue dedication.

Did they make a similar baseball for Brooks?

Here's an item for you Mark, nothing earth-shattering, but maybe you haven't seen it.

1972 Superstar Sports magazine with color pin-ups of Aaron, Brooks, Bench and Roberto...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1972SuperstarSportsA.jpg

I’m not sure if they made a ball similar to that for Brooks. I really don’t know all the items they put out for his induction. I have a few, but I’m sure there are more. I’ve seen pamphlets that had merchandise to purchase for some other players that have been inducted, but haven’t located one from 1983 or even if One exists. I really regret not attending the induction ceremony.

I haven’t seen this magazine before, or at least I can’t recall seeing it, so this is another item I can add to my list. Thanks for posting the pics as well.

docpatlv
02-13-2018, 08:30 AM
Day 45

1967 Topps Test Stickers...(these are blank backed)

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1967ToppsTestStickers.jpg

jason.1969
02-13-2018, 08:41 AM
Day 45

1967 Topps Test Stickers...(these are blank backed)

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1967ToppsTestStickers.jpgAmazing!

Mark70Z
02-13-2018, 05:17 PM
LOVE the test stickers!

eldon80
02-14-2018, 02:18 AM
Keep them coming! This is great! Much appreciated.

docpatlv
02-14-2018, 07:14 AM
Thank you Jason, Mark and Eldon! I appreciate the kind remarks.

Day 46

1967 Ben Weinstein & Sons Pittsburgh Pirates Placemat...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1967PiratesPlacemat.jpg

hcv123
02-14-2018, 07:29 AM
Thank you Jason, Mark and Eldon! I appreciate the kind remarks.

Day 46

1967 Ben Weinstein & Sons Pittsburgh Pirates Placemat...

Nice Mike! I'm not sure I've seen that one before! I love those obscure local Pittsburgh issues.

ullmandds
02-14-2018, 07:55 AM
common card but always been one of my favorites!!!

docpatlv
02-14-2018, 08:15 AM
Nice Mike! I'm not sure I've seen that one before! I love those obscure local Pittsburgh issues.

Thanks Howard!

And Pete, nice card!

MCoxon
02-14-2018, 08:27 AM
This thread has become must reading. It seems like 50% of the new postings/days have brought something I haven't seen before. And love the '61 Clemente as well Pete.

bnorth
02-14-2018, 08:32 AM
Sorry for the bad cell phone pictures. This is by far my favorite Clemente card. This is one is missing the yellow ink and one of the few real unaltered missing yellow ink cards there is. The second picture is from before I had it graded. The center card is a normal card from the same set and the bottom card has very low yellow ink Mantle.

docpatlv
02-15-2018, 07:08 AM
Ben,

I did not know that variation existed. Is yours the only one that you are aware of? Very cool, thanks for sharing.

Day 47

ca. 1960s Pan American Photo...

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1960sPanAmPhoto.jpg

bnorth
02-15-2018, 07:43 AM
Ben,

I did not know that variation existed. Is yours the only one that you are aware of? Very cool, thanks for sharing.

It is the only one I have seen. I found it a few years ago while looking through a ton of 75 Topps for error cards. I was hoping SGC would label it as a missing yellow card. The grading companies quit doing it because they have been fooled so many times by faded cards. I even sent them proof that that year the yellow does not fade off without seriously changing the look of the whole card, didn't help.:(

It looks amazing in hand, it has very strong magenta and purple colors compared to most MVP cards from the set.

docpatlv
02-16-2018, 10:07 AM
Day 48

ca. Late 1960s-Early 1970s H&B Baseball Bat Bank...

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1970sBatBank.jpg

quitcrab
02-16-2018, 06:39 PM
How was the bank sold ? National leauge and American league? Was it a surprise when opening the box to find out what random player bats surrounded the bank ?
I see your bank has both American and National league player bats.
On a side note I have a bank with all the National league Team bats.

bnorth
02-16-2018, 07:09 PM
Day 48

ca. Late 1960s-Early 1970s H&B Baseball Bat Bank...

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1970sBatBank.jpg

Those baseball bat banks are awesome. They are on my very long list of cool stuff I would like to own.

docpatlv
02-16-2018, 08:25 PM
How was the bank sold ? National leauge and American league? Was it a surprise when opening the box to find out what random player bats surrounded the bank ?
I see your bank has both American and National league player bats.
On a side note I have a bank with all the National league Team bats.

Quitcrab,

I have no idea how it was sold. I won the bank off of eBay a long time ago. I guess it wouldn't be too hard to interchange the bats though. As long as it has the Roberto, I'm good. :D

Ben,

It definitely seems easier to find the banks with team names. I had one similar to this, but with team bats, so I sold it.

docpatlv
02-17-2018, 09:52 AM
Day 49

1958 Topps and Pirates Team card...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1958Topps.jpg

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1958ToppsBk.jpg

docpatlv
02-18-2018, 12:31 PM
Day 50

1958 Topps (Yellow Team name)...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1958ToppsYL.jpg

docpatlv
02-19-2018, 06:33 AM
Day 51

1972 WNYF magazine...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1972WNYFMagazine.jpg

docpatlv
02-20-2018, 09:16 AM
Day 52

1971 Milk Duds Complete box and Single cut card...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1971MilkDudsCompleteBox.jpg

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1971MilkDudsCutCard.jpg

Mark70Z
02-20-2018, 05:58 PM
Day 51

1972 WNYF magazine...

Like the foreign magazines the oddball type publications with the player on the cover are always cool in my book. Again, never seen this one before.

docpatlv
02-21-2018, 07:37 AM
Day 53

1957 Team Signed Baseball...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1957PiratesTmSigned.jpg

hcv123
02-21-2018, 11:12 AM
Day 49

1958 Topps and Pirates Team card...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1958Topps.jpg

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1958ToppsBk.jpg

the back of the 58 white letter looks like a perforation on top?

docpatlv
02-21-2018, 12:09 PM
the back of the 58 white letter looks like a perforation on top?

Howard, not perforated...it's in one of those recessed screwdowns and those marks always appear when I scan.

Edited to add: I got crushed on your Dayton Daily...:(

hcv123
02-21-2018, 04:22 PM
Edited to add: I got crushed on your Dayton Daily...:(

I was pretty stunned at what that went for! Be patient, I am sure another will turn up.

docpatlv
02-22-2018, 11:19 AM
Day 54

I've seen pictures of Bill Mazeroski's 1960 World Series HR countless times and I've always wondered if Roberto was in the large group waiting for Maz to cross home plate. However, I had never really made an attempt to identify Clemente until I purchased this next item. With a little bit of research I've determined that, sure enough...he's there!:D He's the third player from the left (without his ball cap). Note the man behind him in the white shirt with his hands on Roberto's back.

1961 Pittsburgh Pirates pocket schedule...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1961PiratesSchedule.jpg

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1961PiratesScheduleBk.jpg

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1961PiratesScheduleCloseup.jpg

The following photos were found online and helped me positively ID Roberto...

Photo shows Maz approaching home with Dick Schofield (# 11) and Hal Smith (# 5) waiting at home, with Roberto just to the right. Note the man/boy in the white shirt standing directly behing Clemente with his hands on Roberto's back.

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/miscellaneous/Maz2.jpg
https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/miscellaneous/517727188.jpg

hcv123
02-22-2018, 03:30 PM
You have so far posted 2 pocket schedules I don't believe I have - the Otto Milk and now the 1961 Dollar bank (I have the one from 1970) - I know you have extras of the otto milk, how about the dollar bank? Love to work out a trade at some point.

Empty77
02-22-2018, 10:32 PM
It's the same image on the '61 T WS Game 7 card, and I always wondered if Roberto was in the group too. Great work. That side-on image proves it.

(for fun here's the card. It's actually not in the PSA master set for Roberto, but in light of this, maybe it should be!)

docpatlv
02-23-2018, 06:39 AM
Day 55

This neat little viewer has an eyehole to look through and a button on the bottom to rotate through the photos. Pictured inside are Clemente, Stargell, Mazeroski, Walker, Cash, Sanguillen, Alou and Hebner.

When I purchased this item off eBay years ago, the seller had somehow managed to capture the images in jpg form. I had saved all of the images, but somehow over the years, I managed to lose some of them. So I will just post the images that I still have, luckily Clemente is one of them.

These don't show up very often, I have only seen one other Pirate viewer in the last 20+ years.

1969 Fun World Viewer...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1969FunWorldViewer.jpg

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1969FunWorldViewerPhotos.jpg

docpatlv
02-24-2018, 12:01 PM
Day 56

1960 Baseball Tag-Ons Pittsburgh Pirates...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1960sTagOns.jpg

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1960sTagOnsSheet.jpg

docpatlv
02-25-2018, 12:24 PM
Day 57

1970s Pictureform...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1970sPictureForm.jpg

Mark70Z
02-25-2018, 02:08 PM
Day 57

1970s Pictureform...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1970sPictureForm.jpg

Really like the Clemente photo used for the Pictureform. I thought I’ve seen a lot of Clemente items over the years, oddball included, but this thread sure has some items I’ve never seen before; love it!

Favorite thread by far!

docpatlv
02-26-2018, 06:57 AM
Really like the Clemente photo used for the Pictureform. I thought I’ve seen a lot of Clemente items over the years, oddball included, but this thread sure has some items I’ve never seen before; love it!

Favorite thread by far!

Thank you Mark!

Day 58

1972 Expos Revue de Baseball Magazine...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1972ExposMagazine3.jpg

docpatlv
02-27-2018, 09:28 AM
Here's one for you Mark!

Day 59

I'm basing the date of this next item by the players (likeness) portrayed on the front of the box. Roberto on the left and Brooks on the right. I'm assuming the production of the game was shortly after the 71 World Series, but I could be wrong. I don't believe there is a copyright date on the box.

I'm also attaching a photo of Roberto that is similar to the caricature on the box. I know that I have seen a similar image of Brooks leaping with glove extended, but I could not find the image (maybe Mark has one?).

ca. 1971 Galoob Mr. Baseball game...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1971GaloobMrBB.jpg

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1971GaloobMrBB2.jpghttps://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/miscellaneous/Clementebatting2.jpg

Mark70Z
02-27-2018, 05:22 PM
Here's one for you Mark!

Day 59

I'm basing the date of this next item by the players (likeness) portrayed on the front of the box. Roberto on the left and Brooks on the right. I'm assuming the production of the game was shortly after the 71 World Series, but I could be wrong. I don't believe there is a copyright date on the box.

I'm also attaching a photo of Roberto that is similar to the caricature on the box. I know that I have seen a similar image of Brooks leaping with glove extended, but I could not find the image (maybe Mark has one?).

ca. 1971 Galoob Mr. Baseball game...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1971GaloobMrBB.jpg

Mike,

Another wonderful item that I have not seen and didn’t even know was out there. I understand that some wouldn’t consider this a Brooks piece, but I sure would. I’ll have to add this to my waitlist.

I think this game may be a bit later than the ‘71 you presume. I’d think it was probably put out around their 2nd WS appearance in ‘79. I could be wrong, and it may be after the ‘71 WS. Probably some of the game collectors would know for sure.

As far as the Brooks image I’ve definitely seen this leaping photo before and I think it was in an ad (possibly Sporting News or something like that). Believe it was a B&W image as well. If I come across it I’ll post a pic. I know I don’t have the actual photograph itself; have a couple leaping ones, but not this one.

docpatlv
02-27-2018, 08:10 PM
Mike,

Another wonderful item that I have not seen and didn’t even know was out there. I understand that some wouldn’t consider this a Brooks piece, but I sure would. I’ll have to add this to my waitlist.

I think this game may be a bit later than the ‘71 you presume. I’d think it was probably put out around their 2nd WS appearance in ‘79. I could be wrong, and it may be after the ‘71 WS. Probably some of the game collectors would know for sure.

As far as the Brooks image I’ve definitely seen this leaping photo before and I think it was in an ad (possibly Sporting News or something like that). Believe it was a B&W image as well. If I come across it I’ll post a pic. I know I don’t have the actual photograph itself; have a couple leaping ones, but not this one.

Mark, you are spot on! Don't know why I didn't just google it, but there is a website related to electronic baseball games that states it was produced in Japan by Toy Town in 1979.

docpatlv
02-28-2018, 07:29 AM
Day 60

1958-61 Jay Publishing photo Type 1...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1958-62JayPublishingType1.jpg

Mark70Z
02-28-2018, 06:09 PM
Love the Jays picture packs! I assume the Pirates had both the Jays and the Team issue picture packs, correct?

docpatlv
02-28-2018, 07:32 PM
Hi Mark,

Yes, the Pirates did have Jay picture packs and also team issued photos. I know there are some of each that I still don't have. Same thing with the Orioles?

Mike

docpatlv
03-01-2018, 07:14 AM
Day 61

1962-65 Jay Publishing photo Type 2...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1958-62JayPubType2.jpg

Mark70Z
03-01-2018, 09:20 AM
Hi Mark,

Yes, the Pirates did have Jay picture packs and also team issued photos. I know there are some of each that I still don't have. Same thing with the Orioles?

Mike

Yes; same with the Orioles. On the Jays there are quite a few with the same pose with very minor cropping differences so it’s hard to tell the years unless you have the original picture pack. On the team issues there were the est 5X7 size, but you could also have some that are original 8X10’s and back in the day order even larger like 11X14. Some of my favorite items to collect, but wish they used a larger variety of poses at least with Brooks.

irv
03-01-2018, 03:40 PM
Thanks for doing this, docpatlv, I really enjoy following this thread.

Jenx34
03-01-2018, 10:05 PM
Picked up these a couple weeks ago. Not terribly old, but I had never seen them before. Thought they were kinda cool.

docpatlv
03-02-2018, 06:11 PM
Thanks for doing this, docpatlv, I really enjoy following this thread.

Thanks Dale, appreciate it, glad you're enjoying the thread.

Picked up these a couple weeks ago. Not terribly old, but I had never seen them before. Thought they were kinda cool.

Chris, I like them. I still have an unopened box from when they first came out.

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1998CommTinBox.jpg

Day 62

1959 Topps Regular issue, Corsair Trio & Team card…

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1959Topps.jpg

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1959ToppsBk.jpg

docpatlv
03-03-2018, 01:16 PM
Day 63

1973-74 NY Daily News "This Day in Sports" Clippings...

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1973-74ThisDayInSports.jpg

docpatlv
03-04-2018, 10:10 AM
Day 64

1960 All Stars facsimile signed baseball...

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1960ASFacsSigned.jpg

docpatlv
03-05-2018, 06:41 AM
Day 65

1962 Topps Baseball Bucks...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1962ToppsBucks.jpg

71buc
03-05-2018, 12:18 PM
These ties were awarded to the players and front office staff of the 1971 Pirates by team sponsor Iron City Beer. Clemente's facsimile signature is included. This particular tie originated from the estate of Bob Moose. There is also a black version of this tie I saw on display at the Allegheny Club at Three Rivers many years ago. I recall that one belonging to Bob Prince.

hcv123
03-05-2018, 01:24 PM
These ties were awarded to the players and front office staff of the 1971 Pirates by team sponsor Iron City Beer. Clemente's facsimile signature is included. This particular tie originated from the estate of Bob Moose. There is also a black version of this tie I saw on display at the Allegheny Club at Three Rivers many years ago. I recall that one belonging to Bob Prince.

Awesome! Never saw that one before.

docpatlv
03-05-2018, 01:36 PM
Nice Mike! I've never seen that one either.

clydepepper
03-05-2018, 03:54 PM
This is the greatest thread ever! What a great idea! I can think of no one more deserving of such a tribute...well, perhaps Jackie.

I am having fun seeing you, the OP, being exposed to pieces you don't have and hoping, for your sake, you will be able to add those to your amazing collection.

Your level of devotion is inspiring!

Thank You

p.s.- I am editing to add that I just notice my post is on page 21 - Cool!

docpatlv
03-06-2018, 12:30 PM
This is the greatest thread ever! What a great idea! I can think of no one more deserving of such a tribute...well, perhaps Jackie.

I am having fun seeing you, the OP, being exposed to pieces you don't have and hoping, for your sake, you will be able to add those to your amazing collection.

Your level of devotion is inspiring!

Thank You

p.s.- I am editing to add that I just notice my post is on page 21 - Cool!

Thanks Raymond!

Day 66

1976 Carnegie Mellon Bus Poster...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1976BusPoster.jpg

hcv123
03-06-2018, 07:35 PM
Thanks Raymond!

Day 66

1976 Carnegie Mellon Bus Poster...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1976BusPoster.jpg

While 95% of my collection is through 1973, I make exceptions for things that strike my eye afterwards. This piece certainly does that! Another I have not seen before! What are the dimensions?

Howard

docpatlv
03-06-2018, 08:04 PM
While 95% of my collection is through 1973, I make exceptions for things that strike my eye afterwards. This piece certainly does that! Another I have not seen before! What are the dimensions?

Howard

Howard, it measures approximately 11" x 28"

docpatlv
03-07-2018, 12:48 PM
Day 67

1969 Houston Astros vs. Cincinnati Reds program...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1969AstrosProgram.jpg

docpatlv
03-08-2018, 06:22 AM
Day 68

ca. 1970s Houston Astros vs. Montreal Expos program...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1970sAstrosScorecard.jpg

docpatlv
03-08-2018, 06:22 AM
*duplicate post*

docpatlv
03-09-2018, 08:08 AM
Day 69

1967 Pirates Photo/Autograph Folder...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1967PhotoFolder.jpg

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1967PhotoFolderBk.jpg

docpatlv
03-09-2018, 08:08 AM
*duplicate post* (not sure why it keeps doing that)

Mark70Z
03-09-2018, 08:29 AM
*duplicate post* (not sure why it keeps doing that)

I know I personally don’t mind seeing the items twice :D

Mark70Z
03-09-2018, 08:39 AM
Mike,

In another thread, on the memorabilia side, the 1972 Pro Star Promotions Posters were mentioned. Clemente was included in the grouping of some of the players included. I’ve never seen one and was wondering if you happen to have this poster. Howard stated he did have one and if you don’t have the poster hopefully he’ll post a shot of the piece.

By the way, some very nice program/scorecards and folder!

docpatlv
03-09-2018, 09:33 AM
Mark,

I have the ProStar postcard, but was not aware the posters even existed until I saw that thread with the Stargell poster pictured. Pretty cool, but apparently very scarce. Would love to see Howard's Clemente.

Don't know if you saw it, but there's an early Brooks signed postcard on eBay (1958).

Mark70Z
03-09-2018, 10:24 AM
Mark,

Don't know if you saw it, but there's an early Brooks signed postcard on eBay (1958).

If it’s the one I’m thinking about I’ve seen it before. It’s a very nice, bold, early autographed postcard, BUT when the postcard was sent through the mail it placed too many PO markings on the front for my taste. I really do prefer the early postcards that go through the mail since most of them you can see the date (like with this example). I don’t mind the marking either , but if they are on the face or detract from the piece I pass even if it is fairly rare.

docpatlv
03-10-2018, 12:54 PM
Day 70

1990s Sports Icon Bust and 2 diff. sales sheets...

This bust is large and heavy and reportedly limited to 500. The sales sheets show this bust and also another available of Roberto with bat. I had oppurtunities in the past to obtain the one with bat, but passed. Probably should have pulled the trigger as these don't seem too readily available today.

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1990sClementeBust.jpg

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1990sSportsIconSaleSheetA.jpg

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1990sSportsIconSaleSheetB.jpg

MCoxon
03-10-2018, 04:41 PM
Here's mine...

Love the card. I think that the film-stripe on the left-hand side is common to all the copies of this image

hcv123
03-10-2018, 04:44 PM
As requested - ultra rare pro star poster - only one I have seen in 30 years!

MCoxon
03-10-2018, 04:46 PM
Here's mine...

Love the card. I think that the film-stripe on the left-hand side is common to all the copies of this image

WHOOPS, NEVER MIND - saw it was the pro star poster that was asked about, not the post card (which is fairly common, I think)

docpatlv
03-10-2018, 08:22 PM
MCoxon,

That's a nice postcard in great shape! I was wondering about that print line on the left. I thought I had seen one without it, but I could be wrong. Mine has it too.

Howard,

That is *%#@ awesome! Never seen one before and yours looks to be in nice shape. Would look great framed!

Mark70Z
03-10-2018, 09:25 PM
As requested - ultra rare pro star poster - only one I have seen in 30 years!

WOW! That is an awesome poster! Thanks Howard for digging it out.

MCoxon
03-11-2018, 10:04 AM
MCoxon,

That's a nice postcard in great shape! I was wondering about that print line on the left. I thought I had seen one without it, but I could be wrong. Mine has it too.

Howard,

That is *%#@ awesome! Never seen one before and yours looks to be in nice shape. Would look great framed!

Howard - that poster is truly amazing. It's so much crisper and clearer than the post card image

When I bid on my post card, I looked around to see if others had the film strip, because otherwise I'd be surprised mine graded as highly as it did if it had a major defect...

docpatlv
03-11-2018, 11:48 AM
Day 71

1965 Pirates Photo Pack in original envelope (I find it hard to believe that the only photo they could use is one where he has his eyes closed)...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1965PhotoPack.jpg

docpatlv
03-12-2018, 08:59 AM
Day 72

1971 Buc-A-Day Newspaper cutout...

At one point in time I had a near complete set of these but sold all but the Clemente.

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1972BucADay.jpg

Mark70Z
03-12-2018, 04:46 PM
Day 72

1971 Buc-A-Day Newspaper cutout...

Really enjoy newspaper cutouts especially when they were designed to be cutouts.

By the way I ran across an example of an ad with the picture that was used for the 1971 Galoob Mr. Baseball game. Somewhere along the line someone glued it to a board to frame it, I guess, and now it’s just a mess, but at least you can see where the drawing derives from.

docpatlv
03-12-2018, 07:21 PM
Really enjoy newspaper cutouts especially when they were designed to be cutouts.

By the way I ran across an example of an ad with the picture that was used for the 1971 Galoob Mr. Baseball game. Somewhere along the line someone glued it to a board to frame it, I guess, and now it’s just a mess, but at least you can see where the drawing derives from.

Mark,

I'm almost positive I saw the Brooks pose in that book "This Great Game". Thanks for sharing.

docpatlv
03-13-2018, 10:24 AM
Day 73

1960s Pirates Coin Bank (Pittsburgh Nat'l Bank)...tough to find with bold red stitching.

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1960sPiratesBank_PNB_.jpg

Mark70Z
03-13-2018, 06:40 PM
Cool looking bank! Just a great collection of items.

docpatlv
03-14-2018, 08:13 AM
Cool looking bank! Just a great collection of items.

Thanks Mark! You've gotta get a Brooks thread going.

Day 74

There aren't a lot of period Clemente postcards out there, at least that I've seen or am aware of, but this is one of them...

1973 Allied Printing postcard...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1973AlliedPrintingPC.jpg

Mark70Z
03-14-2018, 04:59 PM

How bout a goal for next year. I have tried using my phone to post, but the pictures have been small. I need to get another computer since mine has reached life expectancy. Hopefully with a new one I can size the pictures correctly and make for a better Brooksie thread. For now it’s all about Clemente.

MCoxon
03-14-2018, 05:55 PM

Day 74

There aren't a lot of period Clemente postcards out there, at least that I've seen or am aware of, but this is one of them...

always loved this one.

bnorth
03-14-2018, 06:11 PM

Day 74

Absolutely love all the odd ball stuff you have posted in this thread. How long have you been collecting Clemente stuff?

docpatlv
03-14-2018, 08:11 PM
Absolutely love all the odd ball stuff you have posted in this thread. How long have you been collecting Clemente stuff?

Thanks Ben, I appreciate it. I’ve probably collected Roberto stuff going on 25 years or so. Some years very heavily concentrated on him, the last 3 years not as much as I put together the T206 (518) and most of the T205 set, in addition to trying to add some other pre-war items. This year, I’m back to concentrating on Clemente and a couple of other interests.

Mike

71buc
03-14-2018, 11:45 PM
1960 World Series Champion bat fan with Clemente on the C blade. These seem to be a bit scarce at least on the left coast. They are difficult to find with all the blades attached and the tassel is often missing.

docpatlv
03-15-2018, 10:46 AM
1960 World Series Champion bat fan with Clemente on the C blade. These seem to be a bit scarce at least on the left coast. They are difficult to find with all the blades attached and the tassel is often missing.

Mike, I want one of those bat fans!!! That has been on my wantlist for quite some time. I actually lost out on one towards the end of last year. In hindsight, I probably should have bid higher as they don't seem to turn up all that often anymore.

Day 75

Similar to the tie that Mike showed the other day, I believe this next item was only given to Pirates front office personnel...

1964 Noble Pirates...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1964NobleLighter.jpg

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1964NobleLighterBk.jpg

71buc
03-15-2018, 12:02 PM
Very cool lighter I haven't seen one of those before. I wonder if there is a 1971 version.

docpatlv
03-15-2018, 01:39 PM
Very cool lighter I haven't seen one of those before. I wonder if there is a 1971 version.

Mike, I have only seen the 1964 lighter.

hcv123
03-15-2018, 07:34 PM
So,

I believe I have an extra bat fan! Now just need to figure out the trade:)!

Interesting info on the lighter - I have one, never knew it was an office piece - makes sense though as until the one posted I had not seen another.

Howard

docpatlv
03-15-2018, 09:00 PM
Is the bat complete Howard? If so, I'm all ears:D

Let me know your other areas of interest and I'll see what I have.

71buc
03-15-2018, 11:56 PM
If anyone has an "extra" 1960 Pirate bat fan you know its going to be Howard...Good luck on the trade Mike. In the meantime here is a type 1 photo of Roberto at his first spring training in 1955.

rats60
03-16-2018, 07:24 AM
Here is my fan. If you don't work something out with Howard, I might be interested in trading my unsigned one.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/800/39030929970_58de97d776.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/22t2HEs)

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/810/40131971494_cb8a002c0f.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/249jQX1)

docpatlv
03-16-2018, 08:53 AM
Great photo Mike! Can’t be too many rookie photos around.

And rats60...that signed bat fan has to be one of the greatest Clemente items I’ve ever seen. Love it! I’ll let you know if a deal with Howard never materializes, maybe we can work something out.

Puckettfan
03-16-2018, 10:48 AM
My sole Roberto Clemente at the moment.:( It was one of the first vintage cards I purchased and I still love it.

docpatlv
03-16-2018, 11:26 AM
Nice 1963 Fleer Kris!

Day 76

1960 Pirates Photo Pennant...

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1960PhotoPennant.jpg

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1960PhotoPennantClose.jpg

71buc
03-16-2018, 01:24 PM
Beautiful pennant Mike. Rats60 please post a pic of that signed fan. I saw it in a thread awhile back. That's as close to baseball memorabilia porn as you can get. Also can you share the background story on how you came to possess it?

docpatlv
03-17-2018, 09:16 AM
Day 77

This next item is scarce, I have only seen 2-3 examples in 25+ years including the one I own.

1973-74 Itinerario Oficial (Clemente back cover)...I found the same photo online used on the cover.

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1973-74ScheduleBook.jpg

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/robertoclemente/1973-74ScheduleBookBk.jpg

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpatlv/miscellaneous/_77c_1972ClementePhoto.jpg

Empty77
03-17-2018, 03:51 PM
back to the bat fan...if no one else noticed, Love of the Game currently has one on auction, but it has two busted pieces:
http://loveofthegameauctions.com/1960_Pittsburgh_Pirates_World_Champions_Souvenir_F-LOT14957.aspx