PDA

View Full Version : My Favorite Sports Photo Ever...

Dewey2007
12-23-2017, 09:45 PM
...because I'm in it! I stumbled across this photo over 6 years ago searching online for photos from the parade that the City of Alameda threw for hometown hero Willie Stargell back in May 1980. The Pirates were in town to play the Giants and the city hosted the parade and my old high school dedicated the playing fields "Willie Stargell Field". I was an 11-year old kid when the parade took place and schools got out early that day so kids could attend the parade.

To date, it's been the only photo I have been able to find from the parade online. Luckily I was able to contact the photographer and bought a print of the photo from him. As I was looking at the photo for people I might know, I noticed this young kid with longish hair and he looked familiar. I looked at it again and said to myself hey that's me! I'm the kid with his head turning away from Stargell with his face right next to the young black girl to the far right of the photo looking up at Willie. I must have just gotten Pop's autograph, which I still have somewhere along with a paper item that a local men's clothing store was giving away that day.

I still think this is pretty cool whenever I look at it and it takes me back to a time when life was definitely a little simpler.

Dewey

mcgwirecom
12-24-2017, 05:56 AM
How cool is that?! To find yourself in a picture you didn't know existed.

Back in 1985 I was at Live Aid in Philly. I was sitting right above an exit when a photographer walked out and looked around for people to take photos of. I stood up and put my arms out and he snapped a picture of me. but of course there were hundreds of photographers there that day. I still am searching for that photo! If anyone finds it send it to me! I'm sitting above exit "EO" and am wearing a black "The Who" T-shirt with an american flag bandana. LOL

Bpm0014
12-24-2017, 08:33 AM
Really cool!

roarfrom34
12-24-2017, 08:37 AM
Very cool Dewey!

Bill

71buc
12-24-2017, 10:33 AM
I get the Stargell theme now....awesome picture Dewey.

JollyElm
12-24-2017, 11:18 AM
Not only is it very cool (and who didn't love Pops??!!), but look at that ten gallon hat!!!!!!! Man, he was stylin'!!!!!!!

CarltonHendricks
12-24-2017, 03:38 PM
very very cool!!!!...congrats on that one!

Dewey
12-25-2017, 11:37 AM
A great pic for a guy with a great name.

yankeesjetsfan
12-26-2017, 08:24 AM
Sweet pic!

Mike