PDA

View Full Version : removed

drcy
12-22-2017, 03:16 PM

Snapolit1
12-22-2017, 06:15 PM
The book will come out in print, but you can read the pdf version.

Authenticating Art and Artifacts: An Introduction to Methods and Issues (https://cycleback.files.wordpress.com/2017/12/authenticating_art_and_artifacts_an_intr-1.pdf)

It's a textbook-style primer (for the novice) to the general methods, elemental to advanced, used in the examination of everything from antique toys to Rembrandt paintings, movie posters to prehistoric relics. It introduces the elemental research to advanced science (radiometric dating, thermoluminescence testing, spectroscopy, computer analysis, etc). It also discusses the limits and related issues, including margins of error in scientific testing and other analysis. While it's a general guide, it includes many case studies and detailed examples.

Interesting. Almost seems to suggest that an eyeball test is not enough and that science is required to authenticate something.

drcy
12-24-2017, 10:24 AM
Interesting. Almost seems to suggest that an eyeball test is not enough and that science is required to authenticate something.

Anything I say would say here is in the book. If you skip the case studies, the book is short. Though it repeatedly says that authentication involves both the science and the connoisseur (ala avid collectors of the material).

Mark
12-24-2017, 03:51 PM
David
I have only had a chance to skim the book so far, it looks like a very astute and helpful discussion. Congatulations, and thanks very much for sharing.
Mark

drcy
12-24-2017, 08:56 PM
David
I have only had a chance to skim the book so far, it looks like a very astute and helpful discussion. Congatulations, and thanks very much for sharing.
Mark

Astute. I was offended until I looked it up in the dictionary ;)
Thank you.