PDA

View Full Version : 1914 cracker jacks rarity

esd10
12-22-2017, 08:24 AM
Why are certain cards in this set seem to be rarer than others? I know that the 15 cj could be purchased as a set and the 14 cj where only obtained in the boxes but a player such as mathewson who was a huge star and a large following isnt more common than it is. I know people pay a premium because they changed his pose from pitching to a portrait in 15 but the price difference is 5 to 10 fold in 14 over 15. Thanks for the insight and information anyone has and happy hollidays

rainier2004
12-22-2017, 09:06 AM
Lots of theories on the different #s in the 14 set, generally speaking the second series w/ car 73-144 are found in lower numbers that the first series and we know they printed separately as the ads on the back are slightly different.

As to the Matty card specifically, at one time the Cobb was the most expensive card in the set prior to Hollywood making Jackson a bigger star. In Lipsets encyclopedia of 1980 he claimed the Chance was more valuable that the Matty as it was Chance's only CJ. There are also master set guys that need both Mattys...then the fact that few people sell their Matty and we have seen several more set collectors enter the fold in the last few years and more people dumping their sets b/c of prices realized.

As Leon constantly points out, its all about demand and the 1914 Matty is THE most iconic CJ...it just is. There is one in ML now, watch what happens to that one with a piece missing. The one in LOTG that crossed to a psa 1.5 went for just south of $50k...there is a demand out there past the set collectors, HOF collectors that has reached into the upper echelons of the hobby.

Sean
12-22-2017, 10:12 AM
Lots of theories on the different #s in the 14 set, generally speaking the second series w/ car 73-144 are found in lower numbers that the first series and we know they printed separately as the ads on the back are slightly different.

As to the Matty card specifically, at one time the Cobb was the most expensive card in the set prior to Hollywood making Jackson a bigger star. In Lipsets encyclopedia of 1980 he claimed the Chance was more valuable that the Matty as it was Chance's only CJ. There are also master set guys that need both Mattys...then the fact that few people sell their Matty and we have seen several more set collectors enter the fold in the last few years and more people dumping their sets b/c of prices realized.

As Leon constantly points out, its all about demand and the 1914 Matty is THE most iconic CJ...it just is. There is one in ML now, watch what happens to that one with a piece missing. The one in LOTG that crossed to a psa 1.5 went for just south of $50k...there is a demand out there past the set collectors, HOF collectors that has reached into the upper echelons of the hobby.
I can only add that I agree with Steve. I'm a T206 set collector, but I went out and got one card from the Cracker Jack set... a PSA 1 Mathewson. It was such an iconic card, and I had wanted it for years. I'm sure that there are others who also feel this way, and that keeps driving up the price.

Donscards
12-22-2017, 10:33 AM

Steve just amazes me with his Cracker Jack knowledge---He is the Guru of Cracker Jacks---thanks for sharing some of your info with me---and talking about the 1914 Matty, I am the high bidder right now in the auction, but quite sure it will go a lot higher than my bid.

pawpawdiv9
12-22-2017, 11:19 AM
I acquired my 1915 Joe Jax earlier this year....my only CJ and I love it!!!!
In fact, I been shopping around at the Wagner, Cobb & Matty..and the prices are whoooah, take it 1 card at a time. I did see those in the current AH...true gems.
Here is my little gem:

Donscards
12-22-2017, 12:16 PM
I acquired my 1915 Joe Jax earlier this year....my only CJ and I love it!!!!
In fact, I been shopping around at the Wagner, Cobb & Matty..and the prices are whoooah, take it 1 card at a time. I did see those in the current AH...true gems.
Here is my little gem:

Great looking Joe Jackson

rainier2004
12-22-2017, 01:14 PM
Steve just amazes me with his Cracker Jack knowledge---He is the Guru of Cracker Jacks---thanks for sharing some of your info with me---and talking about the 1914 Matty, I am the high bidder right now in the auction, but quite sure it will go a lot higher than my bid.

Thanks Don, it is always a pleasure discussing cards with you. Enjoy the snow buddy!

Well the pop reports show 22 graded by both sgc and psa. Not sure on BVG but I know at least one has been broke out and I myself have busted a Matty out as well. So what, 50 total? That's not really that many considering how popular Cracker Jacks are and how many set collectors are out there.

Leon
12-25-2017, 06:42 PM

Yes, as a collector of very rare type cards I can safely say the demand side is more important, with respect to value, than supply. (unfortunately for me :))