PDA

View Full Version : 1889 base ball photos

frank5k
12-21-2017, 02:34 PM
On eBay/ (Probstein) are any of the player names on the back of the photo ,known players , thank you, frank

oldjudge
12-21-2017, 03:07 PM
You might have more success getting your questions answered if you post links to the lots you are talking about. Also, if it is not worth your time to post a reasonably thought out question, which appears to be the case here, why is it worth anyone else's time to try to help you out?

Fred
12-21-2017, 05:13 PM
Damn jay, that was harsh, but I gotta agree with that assessment.... :p

chlankf
12-21-2017, 05:49 PM
You might have more success getting your questions answered if you post links to the lots you are talking about. Also, if it is not worth your time to post a reasonably thought out question, which appears to be the case here, why is it worth anyone else's time to try to help you out?

Don't take offense Frank. Post a pic and pose your thought out question.

frank5k
12-21-2017, 05:53 PM
Old grudge, thank you for your response, HAPPY holidays & have a HAPPY new year, thank you ,frank

ramram
12-21-2017, 10:33 PM
Don’t mind Jay, he’s always grumpy. Do you have any links or photos?

Rob M

barrysloate
12-22-2017, 04:11 AM
Hold on a second Rob, I thought I was always grumpy.:mad:

ramram
12-22-2017, 08:03 AM
Hold on a second Rob, I thought I was always grumpy.:mad:

Everybody on here over 55 is grumpy, including me. Just ask my wife.

Rob M:mad:

Correction - Everybody over 54.
(Edited to cover Doug G.)

frankbmd
12-22-2017, 08:48 AM
Anyone named Frank can't be all bad.;)

Leon
12-22-2017, 09:02 AM

SO what you are saying is most of us are grumpy? (I turned 56 a few mos ago) ANd btw, Frank the OP, is a really nice person. He's just been in construction too long!!

trdcrdkid
12-22-2017, 09:13 AM
I assume the OP is referring to this lot, and specifically the one photo with "Spring term of '89" and some names written on the back:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-4-Vintage-1889-Baseball-Turn-of-the-Century-Original-Cabinet-Photos-4x5-/372171296936

Jobu
12-22-2017, 09:13 AM
Count me with Jay and Frank. This post basically says "I can't be bothered to: a) Google the names on the back of the photo myself, b) post a link to the auction, c) post photos, d) use punctuation. Do it for me."

Leon
12-22-2017, 09:20 AM
Count me with Jay and Frank. This post basically says "I can't be bothered to: a) Google the names on the back of the photo myself, b) post a link to the auction, c) post photos, d) use punctuation. Do it for me."

I politely disagree. Knowing Frank *(the OP) fairly well, he was just asking a question. All members could just Google their questions until the cows come home and there would be no forum.

ctownboy
12-22-2017, 09:41 AM
I think some are tired of seeing people coming onto the board asking for information about items they could easily look up themselves or take the time to do research on only to get that information and then go buy a piece and make a profit on it.

Eye know eye am.

David Smith

Leon
12-22-2017, 11:12 AM
I think some are tired of seeing people coming onto the board asking for information about items they could easily look up themselves or take the time to do research on only to get that information and then go buy a piece and make a profit on it.

Eye know eye am.

David Smith

I think if you personally knew Frank (the Original Poster) you would understand more. Generally I agree with you on the subject.

Jobu
12-22-2017, 11:23 AM
I am all for asking questions, I ask a lot myself. Frank might be a great guy too, I don't think anyone is saying he isn't, I sure am not saying that.

However, when I post a question I only do so after I have looked and can't find the answer myself (and try to tell people where you looked). I also post the info people need to answer my question rather than telling them to go to eBay to search through probstein's listings to find what I am talking about.

ctownboy
12-22-2017, 12:14 PM
Leon,

I wasn't referring to the OP, I was aiming at a few others (one specifically) who only seems to come onto the board to find information about something he is interested in buying a making a profit on.

This board has a LOT of knowledgeable people who have obviously taken years to find out what they know. It irks me that a few members come onto this board looking for answers so as to be able to personally profit without doing the research or knowing something themselves.

As a person who used to work in the financial services industry, it was OK if people (non-customers) asked me a few general questions about investing. However, it was something completely different as far as those who continually asked questions about what they should invest in or what they should do with their money and not pay for the advice like my customers HAD to.

David Smith

barrysloate
12-22-2017, 02:23 PM
I think that if people come on the board asking questions about memorabilia they're thinking of buying, they should also consider sharing their knowledge and expertise with others. Likewise, if you list items for free on BST, you should also give back by posting something worthwhile.

I know these aren't hard fast rules, but I like the idea of giving and taking, not just taking.

Fred
12-22-2017, 02:42 PM
Hold on someone forgot the obligatory "Isn't that Christy Mathewson in the picture?" Use Walter Johnson or Joe Jackson or add your own star player from near that era in place of Christy Mathewson.

Finally, we get to see what all the hub bubs about.

JollyElm
12-22-2017, 06:42 PM

Eye know eye am.

David Smith

Where's the 'like' times a billion button on here???????

birdman42
12-23-2017, 10:32 AM
To get back to the original post, I think Probstein is indulging in a little wishful thinking. The only indication that these are baseball-related is that the photos are taken in front of a grandstand. Unless there was a special rule for college ball ;), by 1889 teams had 9 players, and there are only 7-8 in these pics. More likely the school camera club. And yes, David nailed it that the back says "Spring term" not "Spring team." All of which leads me to think that maybe Frank was just poking at Probstein a little.

frankbmd
12-23-2017, 11:11 AM
Anyone named Frank can't be all bad.;)

Frankly, to avoid any confusion, please refer to me Mr. Furter in this thread.;)

nolemmings
12-23-2017, 11:18 AM
Frankly, to avoid any confusion, please refer to me Mr. Furter in this thread.;)

Or what, Frank, you will become incensed? :) If so, I'll de-myrrh.

frank5k
12-23-2017, 11:28 AM
Where do you get the gall criticizing me ( frank5k )for not taking time to post a reasonably thought out question? If you would have took time to look at my profile , we have been members about the same amount of years (2009) ,you have 2895 posts to my 72 posts , are you the moderator ? ,dictating the way things are done ? For god sake I was just asking a question. What would new members think of you if they read your post and wanted some help, I am 74 years old , a cancer & stroke survivor, Still working, apparently you are intelligent man , but have a nasty ,mean side ,thank you frank

brianp-beme
12-23-2017, 11:33 AM
As the venerable Confusion say:

A thread with clear purpose is the stitch in time that saves the hometown nine.

Brian

doug.goodman
12-23-2017, 04:26 PM

I'm "only" 54, but I'm quite grumpy.

steve B
12-23-2017, 05:37 PM
To get back to the original post, I think Probstein is indulging in a little wishful thinking. The only indication that these are baseball-related is that the photos are taken in front of a grandstand. Unless there was a special rule for college ball ;), by 1889 teams had 9 players, and there are only 7-8 in these pics. More likely the school camera club. And yes, David nailed it that the back says "Spring term" not "Spring team." All of which leads me to think that maybe Frank was just poking at Probstein a little.

I've been googling for a while to see if I can find out whether the backs were the same in the UK and US, The one with the list of names has a London address as well as Rochester.

No luck finding the answer.

If it's a team or most of a team Baseball is the closest in team size.

But there's no baseball equipment shown.

Unless there's more info they didn't include it's a bit of a stretch.
I'd take a chance at a buck or two in an antique shop old photo box.