PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Star reprint?

SAllen2556
12-19-2017, 10:53 AM
I believe this card is a reprint. There's a seller on eBay who sold this along with others yesterday. I bid on two of the cards. I won both. I refused to pay. He was not pleased. I was very pleased. He said he would report me to eBay. I asked him if his mother knew what he did for a living.

I feel like such a jerk, but I just couldn't help myself. So now I graciously appeal to anyone who can validate my abhorrent behavior. Any such validation would be greatly appreciated. I'm having brief flashes of guilt mixed with a general feeling of smugness. I have cheated the poor guy out of nearly $200, but he absolutely deserved it. By the way, I did first report it to eBay and the seller, both of whom did nothing.

This is one of the two cards I won. My understanding is card #96 can't have green ink on the back. It has to be blue or it's a reprint.

sterlingfox
12-19-2017, 11:20 AM
Could the blue ink on the back have been sun faded to green?

I've heard of that happening on these...

ctownboy
12-19-2017, 12:29 PM
Something seems "off" about the card and its colors. Reprint, faded, I don't know. Also, the left edge or top of the card looks like it might have been trimmed. Does anyone else see this or is it just me?

David

sterlingfox
12-19-2017, 01:34 PM
I agree that the left edge is inconsistent with the opposing right edge.

darwinbulldog
12-19-2017, 02:23 PM
I can't tell if it's real or not, but they clearly misspelled Cincinnati on the jersey, and this is the first time I've ever noticed it.

Leon
12-20-2017, 07:58 AM
I didn't get a good feeling on first glance. Many times that is a bad sign. It just looks off but not sure about it.

Chris Counts
12-20-2017, 08:02 AM
I lost out on the Solters, and I didn't have a good feeling as well. It didn't make sense to see so many Diamond Stars with sharp corners and no slabs.

conor912
12-20-2017, 10:23 AM
I think there is reason for concern. That said, I'm still confused as why they were good enough for you to bid on, but then not good enough when it came time to pay. If I was the seller I would have been pissed too.

SAllen2556
12-20-2017, 12:47 PM
I think there is reason for concern. That said, I'm still confused as why they were good enough for you to bid on, but then not good enough when it came time to pay. If I was the seller I would have been pissed too.

I bid because I absolutely knew for sure they were reprints. #96 Lew Riggs absolutely has to have blue ink on the back. This one is green. The other Diamond Stars were also reprints. He even has other reprints of non sports cards. Bottom line - the guy's a crook, so I bid on the two most expensive cards - the other was Medwick - because I'm so sick of scam artists on eBay constantly getting with blatant thievery. That's why I was pleased that I had won. But I've never done anything like that before, so I felt a little guilty.

We messaged back and forth and he ended up just telling me to mind my own business - which, I suppose is a valid point, but also a tacit admission of guilt. He certainly knows what he's doing.

That's what I was actually wondering: has anyone else ever tried to interfere with an auction you knew was a scam? This guy turned right around and re-listed the Medwick for $150 BIN and it sold right away, probably to the underbidder. So my efforts were a waste of time anyway. But someone got screwed out of $150 because the Medwick was also a reprint. But does eBay care? Noooooooo. Whatever. I tried, but to no avail. It was kinda fun though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Joe-Ducky-Medwick-St-Louis-Cardinals-Diamond-Stars-Gum-Card-66-1935/332492714421?hash=item4d6a1c31b5:g:yuAAAOSwI59aLt2 X

darwinbulldog
12-20-2017, 12:50 PM
Why would you pay $150 for that even if it looked fine? Are Diamond Stars just a lot more expensive than they were when I collected them (10 years ago)?

conor912
12-20-2017, 01:22 PM
I bid because I absolutely knew for sure they were reprints. #96 Lew Riggs absolutely has to have blue ink on the back. This one is green. The other Diamond Stars were also reprints. He even has other reprints of non sports cards. Bottom line - the guy's a crook, so I bid on the two most expensive cards - the other was Medwick - because I'm so sick of scam artists on eBay constantly getting with blatant thievery. That's why I was pleased that I had won. But I've never done anything like that before, so I felt a little guilty.

We messaged back and forth and he ended up just telling me to mind my own business - which, I suppose is a valid point, but also a tacit admission of guilt. He certainly knows what he's doing.

That's what I was actually wondering: has anyone else ever tried to interfere with an auction you knew was a scam? This guy turned right around and re-listed the Medwick for $150 BIN and it sold right away, probably to the underbidder. So my efforts were a waste of time anyway. But someone got screwed out of $150 because the Medwick was also a reprint. But does eBay care? Noooooooo. Whatever. I tried, but to no avail. It was kinda fun though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Joe-Ducky-Medwick-St-Louis-Cardinals-Diamond-Stars-Gum-Card-66-1935/332492714421?hash=item4d6a1c31b5:g:yuAAAOSwI59aLt2 X

Ah, got it. Fighting malice with malice. Yeah, that always turns out well.

hangman62
12-20-2017, 01:59 PM
I think reprint

MW1
12-20-2017, 03:00 PM
All of the Diamond Stars from this seller look real to me. Just bleached or sun-faded.

36GoudeyMan
12-20-2017, 03:08 PM
Been doing the Diamond Stars set for years and years, on and off, over and over again. 99.9% sure this is a reprint.

Borders on this issue are really not usually that white. The edge between the too-white border and colored area is not right. The edges seem wavy pretty much all over (could be the scan, but I doubt it). Sun fading would kill the reds first, not whiten the borders only. Given the Medwick as well, these might be cut from a reprint book (Dover?) but I haven't seen real Diamond Stars that look anything like this, ever....

Econteachert205
12-20-2017, 03:13 PM
Own several. Think these are fake as well.

Buythatcard
12-20-2017, 03:40 PM
Here is the real card that you can compare it against. I no longer own this one