PDA

View Full Version : Idea for new BST section

conor912
12-18-2017, 09:40 PM
This might be one of those things where I'm the only person who would actually use it, but I wanted to float an idea for a new BST section, primarily for trading lots. I assume that most of you guys, like me, accumulate a "discard" pile over the course of weeks, months, etc. They're cards that have value, but but don't really meld with your collection for whatever reason. They're not individually worth enough to make selling or trading them one at a time worth your while, but you'd really like to unload them, too.

This new thread would let you put your whole group up for trade, and everyone would essentially swap their personal "discard" piles. When you get someone else's, you take out what you want to keep, maybe hold the rest until you add a few new ones to the pile, then put it back up for trade. The groups of cards would morph over time, so if there was enough buy-in, there would always be fresh cards available.

Essentially you would just post scans and say what you think the lot is roughly worth, then keep an eye other lots that you think are comparable then strike up a conversation via PM. The lots would be welcome to span multiple decades, which is another reason it would need its own section.

I don't know...just a thought.

Jantz
12-19-2017, 05:25 AM
I would be okay with a B/S/T forum like that. I'm a member on another website where almost every transaction is done by trading and members trade "starter lots". Basically they trade 100+ cards which are their duplicates and the next member can get a good jump start on building another set.

Count me in.

Jantz

Leon
12-19-2017, 05:51 AM
It is certainly open for debate. Not a bad idea just don't know about the logistics of it. I have large piles of crap collectibles I need to do something with. :)

Snapolit1
12-19-2017, 06:16 AM
I wish we had a separate section for photographs. Just an idea.

Rhotchkiss
12-19-2017, 06:39 AM
I like the idea, but why does it have to be discard piles? I have piles to discard but cards for trade that do not fit my collection. A general trading section where you post the item(s) you have for trade - single card or discard pile etc- would be great.

frankbmd
12-19-2017, 08:47 AM
With close to 700 BST transactions under my belt, only a couple dozen have been trades. Trades are fun to negotiate, but finding someone who wants what you have and has something you want makes it a lot more difficult than buying and selling.

The idea of trading for a pile of cards, most of which I don't want so that I can then trade 90% of the stack to someone else who doesn't want them seems problematic to me. It might work if everyone is building '88 Donruss sets, but who is.

I would think that if the idea were successful and I passed my trash to someone else in a trade, sooner or later I would receive that very same trash in return in a subsequent deal. I don't have one of those gerbils running in a wheel and going no where, but it might be more entertaining.

As they say, what goes around, comes around

rjackson44
12-19-2017, 08:52 AM
agree with frank...

Rhotchkiss
12-19-2017, 09:41 AM
I have hardly done the volume Frank has done, but in the 13 months I have been on this board, I have done over $35k in trades (both just cards and cards and cash), including an E121 Ruth, a T227 Cobb, and T206 Matty Portrait, Evers Portrait, Chance Lenox, etc.

"If you build it, they will trade... People will trade [Frank/Leon], People will most definitely Trade".

edjs
12-19-2017, 12:05 PM
Can't you just post your trade pile now in the appropriate section of the Buy/Sell/Trade? I see trades offered there often enough.

x2drich2000
12-19-2017, 01:26 PM
Can't you just post your trade pile now in the appropriate section of the Buy/Sell/Trade? I see trades offered there often enough.

+1 I really only want to look in one place for the cards I want. Also, if I have something to sell or trade, would I now post it in both areas?

DJ

conor912
12-19-2017, 01:34 PM

We'll, not if your pile spans different decades. Plus this would be for larger quantities of things you don't want and aren't seeking fmv for. Say you and I have piles worth roughly 1k each and we agree to trade. Even if there's only one thing in mine that you want to keep, and visa versa, that's one new thing we got and we've each still got a pile to trade again.

Like I said, maybe I'd be the only person interested. It's possible I'm just being lazy, but I've got a drawer filling up with $20-$200 items that I don't want to deal with individually and don't want to take the bath that sending them to auction would result in. Ces't la vie.

Luke
12-19-2017, 03:24 PM
I have piles I'm too lazy to deal with individually. But I'm probably also too lazy to scan them and list them all together in this section. Seems like a cool idea though.

h2oya311
12-19-2017, 04:29 PM
I'm in the same boat w/r/t commons, etc. I haven't used them yet, but has anyone tried COMC.com and had any success?

pokerplyr80
12-19-2017, 09:44 PM
A section for people who only want to trade might be a good idea.

hangman62
12-20-2017, 02:01 PM
I think a section for TRADE ONLY would be great

jbsports33
12-20-2017, 03:43 PM
always have extra stuff around, but never have the time to post

Not a bad idea!

Jimmy

HercDriver
12-21-2017, 04:38 AM
I don't know why you wouldn't just post cards in the existing categories for trade. A trade only section means I'd have to look through a bunch of posts to see what's in them, as opposes to the searching I do today, based on the categories as they currently exist. I see no need for it.

Leon
12-21-2017, 08:09 AM
I don't know why you wouldn't just post cards in the existing categories for trade. A trade only section means I'd have to look through a bunch of posts to see what's in them, as opposes to the searching I do today, based on the categories as they currently exist. I see no need for it.

There is where I am at, on it, so far.