PDA

View Full Version : RMY Auction - Conlon Prints

Runscott
12-17-2017, 12:12 PM
There were about a zillion large-format Conlon prints auctioned off last night by Rhys - great stuff with loads that had full borders. I think Pop Lloyd would have brought much more with larger, ragged edges. I went after one I had been looking for for a long time (Kling), and ended up with 17. This was a great chance to pick up a signed Conlon - hopefully no one who was looking for one missed out. There were actually so many that I couldn't get all of my bids in - completely missed the triple-exposure Clemente, which seemed to go very low.

My favorite was Bob Feller, but the Black Sox Outfield brought a startling price - anyone here get it?

Forever Young
12-17-2017, 12:39 PM
I won the Gehrig Van Oeyen And the Waner Conlon. I cannot wait to trim them both. :)
Well done on all those Conlons Scott . I set my alarm wrong:( out of all my bids, only 2 survived the night. I loved the Feller too as well as the Bottomly(for the money). The Hugh was also coo. Lots of Conlons blown out at one time.. def a chance to pick some up cheap.

Bpm0014
12-17-2017, 01:13 PM
Anybody here win the Conlon Hughie Jennings T206 picture lot 27? Someone outbid me at 2am after I just fell asleep. So salty!

Runscott
12-17-2017, 01:31 PM
If you only could own one Conlon, either Feller or Jennings could have been your Conlon rep in a early baseball photography museum.

I wanted Kling because of his billiard connection. Thanks to all for laying off.

Ben - u soooooo fawny.

pherbener
12-17-2017, 04:48 PM
I grabbed the Feller way below my high bid! Glad you slept through it Ben!! can't wait to trim that bad boy up..:D

I got caught up in that one and missed out getting outbid on the 1913 W.S. Matty. I love the "in the game" feel of that one. You don't see that much of that in the early 20th Century photos.

Runscott
12-17-2017, 06:07 PM
Paul, I doubt most collectors on this board have even seen a raggedy-edge 1910 silver gel print. I will go dig around and find some of mine (images) from the days when they were common, and start a thread.

This one wouldn't even trim up to be presentable! (you can see where someone tried along the right edge)

Frances Burke (Burke & Atwell) - Josh Devore

btcarfagno
12-17-2017, 06:48 PM
I was in on the Waner for a while. Got a few of the 1929 A's Conlons though.

Runscott
12-17-2017, 07:10 PM
Got these two for Conlon's notes, and enjoyed the fact that they were both about bunting. Might matt/frame them with the backs showing:

Bpm0014
12-17-2017, 07:18 PM
I won the Matty family portrait and the ‘28 Cobb talking to a fat guy.

eastonfalcon19
12-17-2017, 07:19 PM
These are my first Conlon photos, Max Carey and Mule Haas. I wanted the Mule Haas photo to go along with his game used bat that I have.

Exhibitman
12-17-2017, 08:43 PM
I picked up these two RPPCs:

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/saleholding/websize/RMY%20Wins%202017%2012%2016.png
The one on the left is from 1919 in training for the Willard bout.* The one on the right is from 1923 while JD was in training for the Gibbons fight.

Dewey
12-17-2017, 10:36 PM
Was in on the Max Carey and Shotton. Gonna take a last stab at them before regrettably being drawn into Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. Grrrrrr. Haha. Two minutes late to final bid.

Mark
12-18-2017, 06:00 AM
These are my first Conlon photos, Max Carey and Mule Haas. I wanted the Mule Haas photo to go along with his game used bat that I have.

Congrats on the Mule Haas photo to go with the bat. I like to collect photos to go along with my bats, too. When you get the Carey photo, please take a close look at the knob of his bat and let us know if there's anything that is visible and interesting there.

Mark
12-18-2017, 06:04 AM
Glad to see that many of the photos found good homes. I thought that these 2 Pirates pitchers belong together, and so I picked them up.

eastonfalcon19
12-18-2017, 06:13 AM
Congrats on the Mule Haas photo to go with the bat. I like to collect photos to go along with my bats, too. When you get the Carey photo, please take a close look at the knob of his bat and let us know if there's anything that is visible and interesting there.

Thank you Mark. I was looking at that too. It looks like a Spalding mark but I'm not certain. I should be able to tell when I get the photo in. Congrats on your photos to.

Snapolit1
12-18-2017, 06:13 AM
Only recently did I discover that Haas is buried about a half mile from my house. And went to the local high school in NJ.

Scott Garner
12-18-2017, 02:25 PM
I was successful at picking up an original 1917 Charles Conlon photo of St. Louis Browns pitcher Ernie Koob.
Ernie Koob is credited with being part of a MLB first:

On May 5th, 1917 Koob no-hit Eddie Cicotte and the visiting CWS 1-0.
St. Louis hurler Bob Groom repeated the feat by no-hitting the White Sox the following day in the 2nd game of a double header 3-0. This was the first time that no-hitters were pitched in consecutive days in the same series.

This is a definite rarity, as it has only occurred twice since:
HOF Gaylord Perry and Ray Washburn did it on 9/17/68 and 9/18/68 respectively @ San Francisco.
Jim Maloney and Don Wilson also repeated this on 4/30/69 and 5/1/69 @ Cincinnati.

One definite regret is not winning the Harvey Haddix action photo that appears on this 1961 Topps card. I thought the auction was over and I had won, so I went to bed. The next day I was shocked when I discovered that someone else managed to outbid me. Bummer!
Oh well, I won one of the two that I was going after...
Someone added a nice photo to their collection. :o

Snapolit1
12-20-2017, 07:44 PM
How soon before a couple of hundred Conlons flood eBay at BINs 4 and 5 times what they just sold for. If it hasn't already happened.

Shoeless Moe
12-20-2017, 08:19 PM
How soon before a couple of hundred Conlons flood eBay at BINs 4 and 5 times what they just sold for. If it hasn't already happened.

not a Conlon but funny you should say

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HISTORIC-1920-Original-Photo-BABE-RUTH-The-BIRTH-of-the-YANKEES-DYNASTY-/263350647979?hash=item3d50ebfcab%3Ag%3AtfsAAOSw~HB aHfV1&nma=true&si=HZERQA6Z%252B9VvTVbsUGWXcnS%252FmDw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

and one week later.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Babe-Ruth-1920-Yankees-Type-1-Original-Photo-PSA-DNA-First-year-w-Yankees-RARE/391947598129?hash=item5b41e5b931:g:i8sAAOSwuhFaOJL L

Snapolit1
12-20-2017, 08:36 PM
Henry may be the most honest above board guy in the world, but isn't it a little weird that he's the grader on photos that he sells? Seems like a minor conflict of interest, no?

Forever Young
12-20-2017, 09:00 PM
not a Conlon but funny you should say

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HISTORIC-1920-Original-Photo-BABE-RUTH-The-BIRTH-of-the-YANKEES-DYNASTY-/263350647979?hash=item3d50ebfcab%3Ag%3AtfsAAOSw~HB aHfV1&nma=true&si=HZERQA6Z%252B9VvTVbsUGWXcnS%252FmDw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

and one week later.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Babe-Ruth-1920-Yankees-Type-1-Original-Photo-PSA-DNA-First-year-w-Yankees-RARE/391947598129?hash=item5b41e5b931:g:i8sAAOSwuhFaOJL L

That’s a great photo and went lower than I expected. Also, based on recent realized prices, the seller has some decent deals too...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1917-White-Sox-Infielders-Weaver-Collins-Gandil-Type-1-Original-Photo-PSA-DNA/401452532911?hash=item5d786f84af:g:zw8AAOSw9L1Zrd8 g&redirect=mobile

Forever Young
12-20-2017, 09:01 PM
Henry may be the most honest above board guy in the world, but isn't it a little weird that he's the grader on photos that he sells? Seems like a minor conflict of interest, no?

How is this different than auction houses who do not use PSA?

Runscott
12-21-2017, 12:36 AM

That could be true, but I've seen Rhys' prints go for twice what mine sat on ebay for at fixed price unsold for months - the exact same first generation print in the same condition.

In any case, I hope they get re-sold for 4 and 5 times what Rhys got. Now that I will have 17 of them - just like bitcoins.

PSACJ
12-21-2017, 08:09 AM
I was able to pick up some of the Conlon's for my Collection. Super Happy :)

Missed out on one that I really wanted as well "Konetchy"

1- Shotten
2- Killerfer
3- Pratt
4- "Wildfire" Schulte
5- Demaree
6- Cracker Jack Photo (Not Conlon)

Leon
12-21-2017, 08:22 AM
How is this different than auction houses who do not use PSA?

What does that mean?
I like Henry a lot, we have a great rapport, but there is a little conflict when selling something you graded yourself. That said I would buy something from him, that he graded, in a heartbeat. But yes, there is a little conflict in "arms length" type transactions of photos he sells and grades. No doubt he stands behind his stuff 100%. I trust him a lot but again, no different than when I sell something and give my thoughts on it, there is a bias. I think Henry is good enough to be fair on every single thing he grades, whether his or not.

Forever Young
12-21-2017, 09:20 AM
What does that mean?
I like Henry a lot, we have a great rapport, but there is a little conflict when selling something you graded yourself. That said I would buy something from him, that he graded, in a heartbeat. But yes, there is a little conflict in "arms length" type transactions of photos he sells and grades. No doubt he stands behind his stuff 100%. I trust him a lot but again, no different than when I sell something and give my thoughts on it, there is a bias. I think Henry is good enough to be fair on every single thing he grades, whether his or not.

It means exactly what I said.
First of all, he doesn’t grade anything.. he authenticates. So, for example, if auction houses call something a type 1 yet don’t have a psa letter.. what’s the difference? It’s either authentic or it is not.
Besides, It’s a tired comment. This happens in bats, uniforms packs etc. etc. Must be a slow day on Net54 ;)

Is there an example in the last auction that someone thinks was authenticated incorrectly?

Leon
12-21-2017, 09:42 AM
First of all, he doesn’t grade anything.. he authenticates. So, for example, if auction houses call something a type 1 yet don’t have a psa letter.. what’s the difference? It’s either authentic or it is not.
Besides, It’s a tired comment. This happens in bats, uniforms packs etc. etc. Must be a slow day on Net54 ;)

Is there an example in the last auction that someone thinks was authenticated incorrectly?

So WTF about grading vs authenticating, it's the same thing we are talking about (arms length transaction).
It's not a tired comment to most of us, just you. .. Must be a slow day for one of us and it's not me LOL.....

As I had said, I trust him regardless of if he "authenticates" it or not and sells it himself or not. Thanks for your contribution though..

Forever Young
12-21-2017, 09:52 AM
So WTF about grading vs authenticating, it's the same thing we are talking about (arms length transaction).
It's not a tired comment to most of us, just you. .. Must be a slow day for one of us and it's not me LOL.....

As I had said, I trust him regardless of if he "authenticates" it or not and sells it himself or not. Thanks for your contribution though..

Merry Christmas:)

Leon
12-21-2017, 10:00 AM
Merry Christmas:)

Happy Hanukkah....

Runscott
12-21-2017, 10:14 AM
That’s a great photo and went lower than I expected. Also, based on recent realized prices, the seller has some decent deals too...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1917-White-Sox-Infielders-Weaver-Collins-Gandil-Type-1-Original-Photo-PSA-DNA/401452532911?hash=item5d786f84af:g:zw8AAOSw9L1Zrd8 g&redirect=mobile

Now that photo has some sharp edges.

doug.goodman
12-21-2017, 02:19 PM
I trust Henry (and Rhys) before I trust most of the companies who get paid for the opinions.

Before our "hobbies" were ruined by the people who get paid for their opinions, everybody who sold stuff graded / authenticated their own stuff, and their reputations spoke for them. Some were bad, but that was the cost of learning. Still cheaper than the costs today.

Doug "I could be wrong" Goodman

Snapolit1
12-21-2017, 04:02 PM

Next time you buy a house I am sure you'd have no issue whatsoever if the independent home inspector turns out to be the same dude you are buying the house from. Sure no problem at all. And when he tells you there is absolutely nothing wrong with the house, I'm sure you'll believe him and not be the slightest bit uncomfortable. I mean what ulterior motive could he possibly have?

Runscott
12-21-2017, 04:16 PM
Steve, that is way different. If no one else has explained it to you by the time I get to a real keyboard, then I will. But I do understand where you are coming from.

Snapolit1
12-21-2017, 04:35 PM
Ok. Henry is beyond question a very legit guy. I get that. But I always thought the point of an authenticator is that they are an impartial third party to the transaction. No skin in the game so to speak.

Runscott
12-21-2017, 05:07 PM
Henry doesn't need the PSA authentication to sell his stuff; however, since everyone knows he does the PSA authentication, it might make people wonder if there was no PSA Loa with his auctions. It is an odd situation to be in as a seller.

But the basic selling situation is no different than Rhys including his Loa with photos.

It is also relatively no different than me, Ben or David including our 'word' when we sell;e.g-if I bought a photo from David or Ben I would tell the next owner where it came from if they doubted my personal level of expertise (i am not all that famous).

As long as it is only authentication the buyer is concerned about, it all comes down to trust in the seller's skills as an authenticator.

Runscott
12-21-2017, 05:08 PM
Grading is a different thing, as grading your own cards or photos adds incentive for manipulation.

Exhibitman
12-21-2017, 05:41 PM
I guess it comes down to integrity and expertise. Frankly, when it comes to something other than assessing the condition of a card, there are issues that go beyond simply taking the item at face value and judging condition. If there is someone who has expertise and a good reputation, there is nothing wrong that person stating a position; give the opinion the credence or lack of credence that you wish. I am not willing to say that financial interest = dishonesty. It may indicate a need to look closer.

The underlying issue is anxiety caused by lack of expertise. With all due respect, if you are so unschooled in what you are buying that you have to place blind faith in a third party, you need to do some more homework before you jump in. One nit that I do tend to agree with picking is the lack of transparency in the process and the marketing. I'm all for showing your work, so to speak, in these situations. If the authenticator has a financial interest, I want to know and I will engage in some further due diligence if I can. If all the info is up front, the burden to investigate more is on the bidder.

I recently had an analogous situation with an autograph authentication. I couldn't get a TPG to issue a COA when I first got the item years ago because there were so few exemplars out there. So I did a ton of my own research and found enough signed items over the years that I was completely comfortable with offering the item as signed. I put that opinion up, in writing and with back-up documentation, when I sold the item. If the buyer believes in the quality of my research and agrees with my opinion, that's all that counts.

Snapolit1
12-21-2017, 05:48 PM
I hear what you guys are saying, but Henry is not the
Same as one of you expressing an opinion. He is THE opinion in the field. For THE opinion in the field to be grading stuff that he is then going to put up for sale... we’ll Ive expressed my opinion. No offense to any of you, but none of your opinions are the be all and end all. His are.

Runscott
12-21-2017, 05:51 PM
Well-said, Adam.

I avoided the issue of less-than-highly-knowledgeable photo 'collectors' buying something based entirely on an LOA or not buying for lack thereof. Having been in this hobby for a decent amount of time now, I no longer feel it's a worthwhile expenditure of my time to be concerned about protecting such people. We've given them a zillion ideas for how to get into a hobby safely and yet there are still those whose first purchase is a $1,000 print or a T206 Cobb.

Snapolit1
12-21-2017, 05:52 PM
Whether something is a type 1 photo is an opinion. It is not a fact. In some cases there is good evidence and in some cases it is sketchy. It is an educated opinion. If any of you are 100% sure looking at scans that somethingnisna Type 1 photograph, well more power to you.
Steve A. posted a Gehrig photo here last month and some of the most learned opinions on this board disagreed as to whether is was Type 1, 2 or 3. It’s not so simple.

Runscott
12-21-2017, 05:55 PM
No offense to any of you, but none of your opinions are the be all and end all. His are.

That is only true if, as a potential buyer, you think it is true. As long as you have an opinion one way or the other as to his expertise, then this loa stuff is irrelevant. It's the same for Rhys' buyers and the same for mine or David's or yours or anyone else's. That PSA LOA is only magical if a buyer thinks it is. (It is not magical to me, but Henry's expertise is somewhat - the two just happen to be tied together).

But I have to admit that it is very frustrating to be absolutely positive you are right about something, and have people question you, especially if you are more than willing to consult others in the field when you are unsure about something. I'm sure Henry is that way; however, as you say, very few ever question his opinion.

Snapolit1
12-21-2017, 06:05 PM
Well to that I’d say it’s not my opinion at all. It’s the markets opinion. If there is a Babe Ruth 1918 Red Sox portrait that Henry deems Type 1, it is a $30K picture. Maybe more. If Henry says it’s Type 3 it’s a $700 picture. That’s the reality of the Marketplace. See it happen every month.

Snapolit1
12-21-2017, 06:23 PM
Appreciate your views a lot. I stand by mine. We all offer opinions on stuff that we sell. And most of you guys know more than I do. But none of you move the market. If I had to succinctly state my opinion it would be this:

If someone is broadly recognized as an expert in authenticating or grading collectibles, there is at least the appearance of a potential conflict of interest where they authenticate/grade items they personally own and plan to offer for sale. It's not a great practice. Regardless of how upstanding the person is.

Shoeless Moe
12-21-2017, 06:54 PM
Well to that I’d say it’s not my opinion at all. It’s the markets opinion. If there is a Babe Ruth 1918 Red Sox portrait that Henry deems Type 1, it is a $30K picture. Maybe more. If Henry says it’s Type 3 it’s a $700 picture. That’s the reality of the Marketplace. See it happen every month.

Not ness. true, Ben himself said the recent Ruth by Henry went for a steal, if he is the be all end all wouldn't it have obtained top dollar and not went for what Ben feels is below retail?

doug.goodman
12-21-2017, 07:48 PM
No skin in the game so to speak.

Besides the fee they get paid for their "knowledge".

Those quotation marks are meant sarcastically.

Doug

Dewey
12-21-2017, 08:35 PM
That Jackie Robinson 1945 UCLA pic, designated Vintage 1, sold by RMY for $1500 in March. It sold again last week by RMY for $127, this time accompanied by a PSA designation as a Type IV. Would love to know that story.

pherbener
12-21-2017, 08:51 PM
That Jackie Robinson 1945 UCLA pic, designated Vintage 1, sold by RMY for $1500 in March. It sold again last week by RMY for $127, this time accompanied by a PSA designation as a Type IV. Would love to know that story.

Not the same image. edit... actually after looking back at them, it is. My bad,,,

horzverti
12-21-2017, 09:22 PM
I hear what you guys are saying, but Henry is not the
Same as one of you expressing an opinion. He is THE opinion in the field. For THE opinion in the field to be grading stuff that he is then going to put up for sale... we’ll Ive expressed my opinion. No offense to any of you, but none of your opinions are the be all and end all. His are.

I appreciate what Henry Yee has done to build and advance our hobby. Henry’s early auctions were instrumental in showing the desirability and value of great vintage photos. It seemed that each new auction would bring in more $$$. The $$$ pushed for more exploration into archives. More and more super photos were rediscovered, sold and sold again. The prices continue to climb. I don’t think there is any doubt about Henry’s positive influence on the hobby. That being said, I feel that Henry Yee is an opinion in the photo field. I don’t feel that he is the opinion in the field. There are others with deep experience and expertise regarding photo format, paper stock, production means, etc. It isn’t just the sellers who are the experts. There are many collectors who really know their stuff as well. Henry’s opinion isn’t “be all and end all.”
Regarding whether it is appropriate for Henry to sell the photos he authenticates, I ask why not? Auction houses do it. Other collectors do it. It is just an opinion. If a seller also wants to assign a grade to a photo that they are selling, that is fine too. Authentication and grading are just opinions.

Runscott
12-21-2017, 10:41 PM

If it isn't your opinion then you shouldn't buy photos he authenticates. If it is everyone else's opinion then they should. He is benefiting from a reputation he built. I see no problem with that.

Runscott
12-21-2017, 10:46 PM
If someone is broadly recognized as an expert in authenticating or grading collectibles, there is at least the appearance of a potential conflict of interest where they authenticate/grade items they personally own and plan to offer for sale. It's not a great practice. Regardless of how upstanding the person is.

Agreed regarding grading of anything, not authentication of photos. Authentication of some other items could also be a problem.

Forever Young
12-22-2017, 03:05 PM
Whether something is a type 1 photo is an opinion. It is not a fact. In some cases there is good evidence and in some cases it is sketchy. It is an educated opinion. If any of you are 100% sure looking at scans that somethingnisna Type 1 photograph, well more power to you.
Steve A. posted a Gehrig photo here last month and some of the most learned opinions on this board disagreed as to whether is was Type 1, 2 or 3. It’s not so simple.

1) "Whether something is a type 1 photo is an opinion. It is not a fact."
This blanket statement is WRONG Imo :) I, in fact, think photos are one of the things in the hobby that can be authenticated the tightest.
2)”If any of you are 100% sure looking at scans that something isna Type 1 photograph, well more power to you. “
THIS IS A SCENAREO ONLINE-diff than above. There is no way to tell 100 percent online I would agree. You can make educated conclusions but with fake stamps, fake aging of paper,,etc.. I would agree. Pictures can also be photo shopped or manipulated. this of course domes not go fir photo authentication in general.. just online.

If you think the photo hobby is so misguided.. why are you collecting the stuff? Why not collect something else that is more defined like.. cards, game used and autographs... :eek: yikes

I just don't get the negativity. Since you have singled out Henry.. can you give an example in the last auction where he was wrong or that he abused some magical power for his benefit? As stated, No one bats 100 percent.. but some have much higher averages:)

Forever Young
12-22-2017, 03:09 PM
Not ness. true, Ben himself said the recent Ruth by Henry went for a steal, if he is the be all end all wouldn't it have obtained top dollar and not went for what Ben feels is below retail?

I never said it was a steal.. I said I thought it would go for more. It is a documented 1920, single, in your face batting photo and large at that. If you know Ruth photos... you know these type of attributes are rare. It is a great piece for what it is worth.
Somehow, a great thread about sharing pickups and stories turned negative. It is a damn shame.

Forever Young
12-22-2017, 03:19 PM
Not the same image. edit... actually after looking back at them, it is. My bad,,,

My guess is someone bought it as a vintage 1. No idea why they would do that even if they were not savvy as it is a 1939 image and the slug says 1945-prob because it was sold like that I guess. This is another example why the 2 years is relevant. I would rather have a pic off neg within two years rathe rthan later when he was a household name/many copies printed.
That said, it is not even off the original neg. They prob sent to psa and got letter and returned. Just a guess. In my opinion, it is labeled correctly by PSA as a type 4(off a dupe neg). IN THE LOWER LEFT, YOU CAN CLEARLY SEE THE EDGE OF THE PHOTO IT WAS TAKEN FROM. In other words, a picture of a picture.
To Rhy's credit, he ran in the right way the second time. Like everything, Mistakes happen and it is how one reacts to it and takes care of it that matters at the end of the day. MJ didn’t even hit every game winner!

Forever Young
12-22-2017, 03:23 PM
Alright.. I think I responded to everything on my naughty list. Props to RMY for a great auction. I was happy with both of my pickups. Thank you and looking forward to getting them soon. I hope you all have a safe and happy holiday break. HO HO HO! Merry Christmas! I love you all.. especially YOU Graigy Kreindler.

Snapolit1
12-22-2017, 05:16 PM
1) "Whether something is a type 1 photo is an opinion. It is not a fact."
This blanket statement is WRONG Imo :) I, in fact, think photos are one of the things in the hobby that can be authenticated the tightest.
2)”If any of you are 100% sure looking at scans that something isna Type 1 photograph, well more power to you. “
THIS IS A SCENAREO ONLINE-diff than above. There is no way to tell 100 percent online I would agree. You can make educated conclusions but with fake stamps, fake aging of paper,,etc.. I would agree. Pictures can also be photo shopped or manipulated. this of course domes not go fir photo authentication in general.. just online.

If you think the photo hobby is so misguided.. why are you collecting the stuff? Why not collect something else that is more defined like.. cards, game used and autographs... :eek: yikes

I just don't get the negativity. Since you have singled out Henry.. can you give an example in the last auction where he was wrong or that he abused some magical power for his benefit? As stated, No one bats 100 percent.. but some have much higher averages:)

I can't point a single thing Henry has done wrong in his life. Never said I could. But I don't think the basic idea of him grading his own cards for sale is a good one. I think many others agree.

I think Type 1 is an opinion. Whatever. Until someone does carbon 12 testing on a photograph it's an opinion in my book. maybe a very learned opinion.

Negative on the hobby? Nope. Just a realist. It's an imperfect endeavor like everything else. I'm not drinking the kool aid that anyone's opinion on authenticity of a photo or a card is scientitifc truth. It's an opinion. If Henry doesn't make the occasional mistake he's the first human being in the history of the world who can say that. I tip my hat to him.

I once sat through a trial where probably the two most credentialed experts in the US took opposite sides on whether a signature was authentic on a rare document. Two guys who have written books too. These are opinions.

Ben, you get insanely defensive anytime anyone says anything even remotely challenging or questioning about type 1 photos. Relax buddy. It's a hobby. We're not rescuing starving children here or curing rare cancers.

Forever Young
12-22-2017, 05:26 PM
...#ufta

Insanely defensive? Nope.. just defending truth, justice and the type 1 photo way. Merry Christmas

Snapolit1
12-22-2017, 05:33 PM
Enough. Done Expressed my opinion. Happy holidays.

Dewey
12-22-2017, 05:41 PM
To Rhy's credit, he ran in the right way the second time. Like everything, Mistakes happen and it is how one reacts to it and takes care of it that matters at the end of the day. MJ didn’t even hit every game winner!
Agreed.

The last auction was great. Look forward to 2018.

Runscott
12-22-2017, 07:28 PM
Somehow, a great thread about sharing pickups and stories turned negative. It is a damn shame.

^
|_____Ben said something I did was GREAT!!!!!

(Now I don't even care if anyone disagrees with my opinion)

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
12-22-2017, 07:41 PM
Wish I picked up some Conlons! They were all so nice. I just stayed with the stuff I know and picked up a few nice photos.

Exhibitman
12-23-2017, 07:30 AM
Well, Scott...For boxing cards my opinion is pretty much the opinion (the TPGs use my book or call me) so I have some experience with this exact situation. Every time I sell an item I am expressing my opinion on it and to the small coterie of boxing collectors it carries weight even with self interest, because I am rigorous in my research and honest with my opinion and people know it. That said it is still an opinion and opinions are like buttholes; we all have them. Except, apparently, Kim Jong Un.

pherbener
12-23-2017, 12:57 PM
I just got the Conlon Feller. Never expected it before Christmas!

Snapolit1
12-23-2017, 01:01 PM

Amazing shot with the shadows.

pherbener
12-23-2017, 01:07 PM
Amazing shot with the shadows.

It really is... Great image!

Scott Garner
12-23-2017, 01:50 PM

Terrific Feller photo, Paul. Congrats!

Runscott
12-23-2017, 02:03 PM
Well, Scott...For boxing cards my opinion is pretty much the opinion (the TPGs use my book or call me) so I have some experience with this exact situation. Every time I sell an item I am expressing my opinion on it and to the small coterie of boxing collectors it carries weight even with self interest, because I am rigorous in my research and honest with my opinion and people know it. That said it is still an opinion and opinions are like buttholes; we all have them. Except, apparently, Kim Jong Un.

I think we are in agreement. And if you chose to issue an Loa for each of your cards you sold, stating that it was authentic, I guess some here would cry "foul". I suppose you would have to secretly include the Loa with the card when you shipped it, but not mention it in the sale. Then the buyer could use it for resell and no one here would complain.

pherbener
12-23-2017, 02:52 PM
Thanks Scott!

Forever Young
12-23-2017, 04:51 PM

Wow. I do not remember it being THAT spectacular in the auction....what a piece! Nice job.

Exhibitman
12-23-2017, 05:43 PM
I think we are in agreement. And if you chose to issue an Loa for each of your cards you sold, stating that it was authentic, I guess some here would cry "foul". I suppose you would have to secretly include the Loa with the card when you shipped it, but not mention it in the sale. Then the buyer could use it for resell and no one here would complain.

How about a double secret LOA?

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/dropins/websize/deanwormer.jpg

Runscott
12-23-2017, 05:54 PM

That is something - making me think I should have gone all in on it. Glad it found an appreciative home.

pherbener
12-23-2017, 06:51 PM
Thanks Ben and Scott!!

Bicem
12-23-2017, 07:26 PM
Beautiful Feller.

Santa Benny not so much.

pherbener
12-23-2017, 07:31 PM
Beautiful Feller.

Santa Benny not so much.

Santa Benny is going to give me some nightmares!!:eek:

Runscott
12-24-2017, 11:56 AM
Santa Benny is a scarey feller

Bicem
12-24-2017, 12:31 PM
Ben sent it in for grading and it came back a PSA Gross.